Do the Pegulas Have What It Takes?

Milanos Milano

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

The firing of Dorsey would clearly be a last chance for McD.  He will either figure it out, or be told to hire the best possible person.

Well, I don't think he was directed to hire a clown last go around. The problem is McDermott was able to convince higher up that Dorsey was the best man for the job. Because continuity. Because Josh's preference. 

11 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Contingency plans for what?  One bad season in a 5 year stretch?  

Whatever man.  Lots of fanbases can't stand the Bills fanbase now, and I understand it.  A far cry from where the fan base was 10-15 years ago.

It’s not one bad season, it’s a steady regression since 2020. AFC Championship loss, 13 seconds, embarrassed by the Bengals at home in the Divisional Round and now they’re 5-5 through 10 games with some inexcusable losses. The fan base reaction is warranted 

Edited by PauleeeWalnuts
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, I don't think he was directed to hire a clown last go around. The problem is McDermott was able to convince higher up that Dorsey was the best man for the job. Because continuity. Because Josh's preference. 

Correct.  They thought they could just move forward with little drop off.  Hasn’t worked out.

They won’t make the same mistake twice if he wants to keep his job.

I don't think he's afraid to make a change. This was the all-in year and this coaching staff and team failed, and there should be consequences.  This is a very expensive and embarrassing business failure we're all witnessing. 

The contract extensions are small potatoes compared to what's on the line if you open a new stadium with a bad NFL team no one is paying to watch.  

The time to make a change is at the conclusion of this season.  It gives a new coaching staff a honeymoon year of 2024, but Pegula needs an ascending team for the new stadium. 

I personally would give McDermott and Dorsey their walking papers this week, as I've seen enough, and see if I can salvage this season with interim leadership.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

If you go by the Sabres then you know Terry has what it takes. He has fired and hired many GM's/HC's as Sabres owner. IMHO, he has no choice but to fire McDermott. The team seems to have tuned McDermott out and his message has gone stale. I doubt the players believe in "THE PROCESS" anymore. The fans certainly don't.

yep, that's worked well so far. Though I believe it's time for McDermott

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

I’ve been pretty happy with ownership up until hearing about extending McD. This game was the last straw. It was embarrassing and we have Josh Allen, there is no reason for it. 
They married McBeane, without seeing how this season would turn out. Seeing the Sabres also inspires little hope they will ever figure it out. 
The most frustrating thing ever is knowing we have Allen and Diggs and this is the udder garbage that we get from coaches. 

I know this is very rare but McD is tradable in the off season we can trade him to some team for a conditional pick basically giving away his 4yr contract. It’s outside the box thinking but McD is respected league wide and no doubt will get another job right away so trading him should be easy. 

8 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I know this is very rare but McD is tradable in the off season we can trade him to some team for a conditional pick basically giving away his 4yr contract. It’s outside the box thinking but McD is respected league wide and no doubt will get another job right away so trading him should be easy. 

No one is giving up a draft pick for McDermott

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol now it’s the owner’s fault.  Hero worship is a weeeeeeeeeeeird thing.  The Josh apologists are really juiced up on the kool-aid.  Ok after we ditch White, Davis,, Poyer, Hyde, McD, Beane, and Pegula who is next?  Goodell?  The Pope?  I mean, we know Josh is perfect so we can’t possibly expect him to even make the tiniest of changes.

You’re weird.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I feel bad for Terry.  The guy can't catch a break.  He gave complete control of organization to Beane and McDermott and they make mistake after mistake.  He is dealing with trying to keep his wife alive.  He hires qualified people to run PSE and stadium decisions, only for them completely disrespect him and start a relationship with each other.  

I don't even know where to turn anymore.  The guy has to feel like his world is crumbling around him.

He's fired everyone and took over the Bills and the Sabres.  He's not very good at either, it turns out.  But at least he got rid of those execs having a consensual relationship!!

At least he has those soothing billions....that where I would turn to about now

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's fired everyone and took over the Bills and the Sabres.  He's not very good at either, it turns out.  But at least he got rid of those execs having a consensual relationship!!

At least he has those soothing billions....that where I would turn to about now

Beane and McDermott have been rated as a top 5 team through the last 3 or so years.  To say he wasn't good at bringing in them is so ridiculous.  It says more about you saying that than it does Pegula.

There is no such thing as a consensual relationship in the corporate world within different hierarchies.  Lawsuit waiting to happen.

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Beane and McDermott have been rated as a top 5 team through the last 3 or so years.  To say he wasn't good at bringing in them is so ridiculous.  It says more about you saying that than it does Pegula.

There is no such thing as a consensual relationship in the corporate world within different hierarchies.  Lawsuit waiting to happen.

yet here we are, having this discussion.  Pegula's only positive decisions have been those 2 hirings---and now the water is circling the bowl.  And that's what you want to point out--the 2 architects of Bills ultimate futility over the past 3 or so years, as things are now falling apart??

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

I don't think he's afraid to make a change. This was the all-in year and this coaching staff and team failed, and there should be consequences.  This is a very expensive and embarrassing business failure we're all witnessing. 

The contract extensions are small potatoes compared to what's on the line if you open a new stadium with a bad NFL team no one is paying to watch.  

The time to make a change is at the conclusion of this season.  It gives a new coaching staff a honeymoon year of 2024, but Pegula needs an ascending team for the new stadium. 

I personally would give McDermott and Dorsey their walking papers this week, as I've seen enough, and see if I can salvage this season with interim leadership.  

You have given a hopeless man a sliver of hope. Thank you.

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

This is a myth. 

the contracts to the stadium will still come. Money will still flow into Pegulas pockets. The TV deals will continue to go up. The State already paid for most of the stadium. 

he needed an ascending team to get the stadium deal in place. It is in place. 
that will not drive the decision on what to do with McD. 

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

yet here we are, having this discussion.  Pegula's only positive decisions have been those 2 hirings---and now the water is circling the bowl.  And that's what you want to point out--the 2 architects of Bills ultimate futility over the past 3 or so years, as things are now falling apart??

You should see the things discussed on this message board.  Just because something is discussed here doesn't really mean anything.

Falling apart to who?  Maybe to you, but you're not the one making the decisions.  To the ones making the decisions, they could view this as part of being an NFL team.  Teams have ups and downs. EVERY TEAM.

• Haha (+1) 2

If he doesn't than I hope fans are smart enough to stay home next year and not waste their hard earned money on this team in the form of season tickets, etc.

Owners eat head coach and GM contracts all the time not long after an extension. Hell the Raiders are still paying John Gruden, and now Josh McDaniels as well. The Bills didn't hesitate to dump Dick 'The Corpse' Jauron either after a bad extension and was with a notoriously cheap owner at the time.

Bottom line is there's no way you can go into a critical roster reset/soft rebuild year with this head coach and let him have any influence in the FA/draft process. I'm obviously not a fan of Beane either but willing to keep him if it mean dumping his pal McDummy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Milanos Milano changed the title to Do the Pegulas Have What It Takes?
34 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If he doesn't than I hope fans are smart enough to stay home next year and not waste their hard earned money on this team in the form of season tickets, etc.

Owners eat head coach and GM contracts all the time not long after an extension. Hell the Raiders are still paying John Gruden, and now Josh McDaniels as well. The Bills didn't hesitate to dump Dick 'The Corpse' Jauron either after a bad extension and was with a notoriously cheap owner at the time.

Bottom line is there's no way you can go into a critical roster reset/soft rebuild year with this head coach and let him have any influence in the FA/draft process. I'm obviously not a fan of Beane either but willing to keep him if it mean dumping his pal McDummy.

No Beane deserves the boot every bit as much as our head coach. Probably more.

7 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

I’ve been pretty happy with ownership up until hearing about extending McD. This game was the last straw. It was embarrassing and we have Josh Allen, there is no reason for it. 
They married McBeane, without seeing how this season would turn out. Seeing the Sabres also inspires little hope they will ever figure it out. 
The most frustrating thing ever is knowing we have Allen and Diggs and this is the udder garbage that we get from coaches. 

I lack the faith that this organization will swing for elite level talent (in their prime, not at the very end of their careers).

The 49ers take big swings, Beane has shown me his model is the carry-over.  

McDermott can not be the Head Coach at the start of 2024. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

On 11/14/2023 at 7:34 AM, Gregg said:

If you go by the Sabres then you know Terry has what it takes. He has fired and hired many GM's/HC's as Sabres owner. IMHO, he has no choice but to fire McDermott. The team seems to have tuned McDermott out and his message has gone stale. I doubt the players believe in "THE PROCESS" anymore. The fans certainly don't.

Has what it takes...? Lol 

He hasn't done so hot picking leaders there either.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33405672/arizona-cardinals-extend-gm-steve-keim-coach-kliff-kingsbury-2027?platform=amp

Well these extensions for coaches and GM’s don’t mean much.

Cardinals extended Kingsbury and their GM last year and they were both out at the end of the year.

it’s almost like if a team is giving an early extension to coach and GM. they’re trying to show faith and stability that is not actually there. Trying to force it into existence. 

I am not convinced Terry has any clue. I really am not. That he hired McDermott and Beane in the first place was a stroke of luck. They were the right people at the right time. Even if it is time to move on now they were very good hires. 

The chances of him getting it right again? Slim to none IMO. And before anyone accuses me of it this is not an excuse to keep the status quo. It is just my honest assessment of how much ownership really understand what they are doing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:34 AM, Gregg said:

I think the players have completely "tuned out" the process. He started losing the locker room when Diggs blew up. Josh didn't want to make waves so he kept quiet and rather than throw Dorsey under the bus, he played good soldier.  Now things are worse. Dorsey leaving will not solve the long term problem.  Process & Culture...humble & hungry....and whatever other slogan you want doesn't fly anymore.  And only Terry can fix this.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not convinced Terry has any clue. I really am not. That he hired McDermott and Beane in the first place was a stroke of luck. They were the right people at the right time. Even if it is time to move on now they were very good hires. 

The chances of him getting it right again? Slim to none IMO. And before anyone accuses me of it this is not an excuse to keep the status quo. It is just my honest assessment of how much ownership really understand what they are doing.

I just can't see how he can screw this up. Let's say he fires McD after the season but decides to keep Beane.  Brandon can't possibly ignore quality OC's like Ben Johnson, Brian Johnson, Bobby Slowick or even Harbaugh?  There's quality out there who would love a chance to coach up a young Josh Allen.  Now if Terry fires both guys, who knows what will happen?

On 11/14/2023 at 6:20 AM, Araiza Curse said:

Ungrateful !!! McD & Beane have brought 5 winning seasons a AFC championship game appearance multiple AFC east championships & the team along with the city a brand new state of the art stadium & alls every one wants to do is get rid of the ones that made it happen . 

That's like on friday taking the pen away from the guy that signs your pay check . Blow it up fire them all WTH we love going backwards !!

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Eventually every coach runs his course, just the nature of the business. 

I am of the opinion that Andy Reid is the true GOAT, given that he went to Super Bowls with 2 different teams and 2 different QBs, has an extensive coaching tree of successful coaches, and will likely be somewhere in the top 3 of all-time HC wins by the time he retires (with a realistic shot at being #1), and he didn't even have Mahomes until he was in his 60's.

Even he ran his course in Philly. 

Belichick won 6 Super Bowls and went to 9 with NE and a few years after his last SB win he's about to be let go. 6 Super Bowl wins! 

McDermott did a good job cleaning up the mess and restoring a sense of respectability here. But honestly, he's won jack squat that matters with a top 3 QB in the NFL who is a generational talent, and the team is a disaster that is going backwards. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just can't see how he can screw this up. Let's say he fires McD after the season but decides to keep Beane.  Brandon can't possibly ignore quality OC's like Ben Johnson, Brian Johnson, Bobby Slowick or even Harbaugh?  There's quality out there who would love a chance to coach up a young Josh Allen.  Now if Terry fires both guys, who knows what will happen?

If one goes both go and in any event Brandon will not choose the next coach. Terry has chosen two coaches here. They were both 100% HIS picks. I don't see how the next one won't be.

Of your list I also am only interested in Ben Johnson and possibly Slowick - although he is so inexperienced as to be a shot to nothing.

Edited by GunnerBill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.