Mistake not trading Gabe Davis?

Thrivefourfive

Was it a minor/major mistake not trading Gabe Davis? 

Would the Jets have considered him pre-season?

Were there teams with playoff/championship aspirations that would’ve added him before the deadline?

Not trading him is going to look like a missed opportunity to gain draft capital. When he tests free agency after the season, some stupid team will overpay him, and I don’t blame Davis for taking it. He’s pretty much a nothing player, but if he can finish the year healthy, he’ll piece together a nice little highlight reel that some team will mistakenly sink their teeth in.

The Bills could’ve walked away with a 3rd, believe. That seems to be the spot we’re both sides would feel relieved and anxious. 

The Jets were loading up for a Ring run, and probably running out of draft capital, but I’m sure they would have pulled a 3rd out of their hanger to trade with the Bills. Rodgers was getting his guys in place before he was even acquired, but surely he’d liked what he’s seen from Davis, thinking he can make him better. WR2-WR6 becomes interesting when you add Davis in here.

As for the deadline landing spots, take your pick—literally every team could add Davis into that mix. Even the Bengals, who have the best WR corps in the league, they never know when Chase or Higgins or Boyd will miss time with a serious injury, like a hamstring or foot. Claypool went to Miami (along with a 7th) as a new toy for a 6th,,, and Claypool doesn’t have a four touchdown playoff game @ KC to brag about. That was a plain ol’ ‘why not’ move by the Dolphins, but it shows that teams want a deep WR room if offense is the side of the ball they want to boost up. If the Bills don’t value Davis as a 3rd, they probably would have had an easier time dumping him for less. 

Big miss by not getting something for Davis. He’s gone after this year, and his contributions might be meaningless this year. The Bills targeted WRs like crazy this off season, so they knew life without Davis is near. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Nah man. I can’t see anyone giving up a decent day 2 pick for a guy who’s decent but does so in flashes. 

Like him or not, he has a place on a team that still has post season aspirations even though the outlook isn’t that great… Plus, I don’t see anyone else having success on 50/50 balls outside Stef’….

I don’t think anyone was giving us a 3rd for Gabe “3 route” Davis and we wouldn’t trade within the division to the Jets. 

That being said, it’s certainly easy in retrospect we probably should have traded him. The bigger issue is Beane didn’t bring in a viable #2 to slide Gabe to #3 where he belongs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 10

5 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Were there teams with playoff/championship aspirations that would’ve added him before the deadline?

Not trading him is going to look like a missed opportunity to gain draft capital. When he tests free agency after the season, some stupid team will overpay him, and I don’t blame Davis for taking it. He’s pretty much a nothing player, but if he can finish the year healthy, he’ll piece together a nice little highlight reel that some team will mistakenly sink their teeth in.

The Bills could’ve walked away with a 3rd, believe. That seems to be the spot we’re both sides would feel relieved and anxious. 

The Jets were loading up for a Ring run, and probably running out of draft capital, but I’m sure they would have pulled a 3rd out of their hanger to trade with the Bills. Rodgers was getting his guys in place before he was even acquired, but surely he’d liked what he’s seen from Davis, thinking he can make him better. WR2-WR6 becomes interesting when you add Davis in here.

As for the deadline landing spots, take your pick—literally every team could add Davis into that mix. Even the Bengals, who have the best WR corps in the league, they never know when Chase or Higgins or Boyd will miss time with a serious injury, like a hamstring or foot. Claypool went to Miami (along with a 7th) as a new toy for a 6th,,, and Claypool doesn’t have a four touchdown playoff game @ KC to brag about. That was a plain ol’ ‘why not’ move by the Dolphins, but it shows that teams want a deep WR room if offense is the side of the ball they want to boost up. If the Bills don’t value Davis as a 3rd, they probably would have had an easier time dumping him for less. 

Big miss by not getting something for Davis. He’s gone after this year, and his contributions might be meaningless this year. The Bills targeted WRs like crazy this off season, so they knew life without Davis is near. 

Why would we trade a starter in the middle of a “trying to win a Super Bowl” run?

We didn’t know the season was going to go off the rails in the preseason. So it wasn’t a mistake.

Was it a mistake for the Bengals to not trade Tee Higgins because Burrow got hurt and played awful his first 4 games?

• Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Can't trade a captain midseason.

McDermott benched a captain in tyrod mid season for arguably  the worst qb ever. That’s when he used to have balls 

you can totally trade a captain who’s gabes caliber mid season 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Can't trade a captain midseason.

Begs the question. Named a captain?! How on earth does that happen, that this coach gives out that title to (motivate an underperforming player) a player that you think you can will be become a star? At this level of football. Talk about Mickey Mouse. 

• Disagree 2

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Why would we trade a starter in the middle of a “trying to win a Super Bowl” run?

We didn’t know the season was going to go off the rails in the preseason. So it wasn’t a mistake.

Was it a mistake for the Bengals to not trade Tee Higgins because Burrow got hurt and played awful his first 4 games?

This Trade Gabe scenario includes the off season. All of it. We can’t cherry pick and say Gabe was going to turn into a bonafide WR2, so why would we trade him?— 

As the season played out, it’s obvious now (to some) that he’s got to go. But I’m sorry, it’s Beane’s job to see this coming. The facts that this was a highly debated issue all off season.. we can’t claim that Beane was blindsided by its development. I actually think he tried to alleviate Davis’s ineffectiveness with Kincaid, Sherfeld, Harty, and the others. If we have a Higgins, no way he spends that much effort on WR. 

So he knew! And we are going to ride out this contract and get nada. That’s a miss to me.

All due respect, but I’m not sure your throw away line about Higgins/Burrow was worth the time you took to type it. But you sure are an angry elf. Come on! Holiday spirit 😊 We’re just talking about football here.

• Eyeroll 1

I know I'm in the minority, but I still think offensive playcalling, lack of balance/creativity, and Allen's decision-making (plus shoulder issues) is affecting offensive production more than anything Gabe can control.

Gabe's production has taken a nose dive along with Allen's deep ball accuracy. With Allen now ranking 31st in deep pass accuracy, Gabe's ability to stretch the field isn't as relevant anymore. And with the offense allergic to running the ball, playing exclusively from shotgun & consistently stalling out midfield/inside opponents territory, Gabe's opportunities dry up. 

I don't think he's amazing or anything, but I think this is another Singletary/Moss situation where the Bills offense doesn't use the player, and we'll see them have success elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

All due respect, but I’m not sure your throw away line about Higgins/Burrow was worth the time you took to type it. But you sure are an angry elf. Come on! Holiday spirit 😊 We’re just talking about football here.

Same chip on his shoulder that Flutie had...🤔

Based upon some of the whiffs that the Bills have had with personnel (both drafted and signed via free agency and trades), I'm reminded of the Island of Misfit Toys.

image.jpeg.88a842e478a715a22c2cc6eba0231438.jpeg
"Nobody wants a 'Charlie in the Box'!"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Why would you want to trade a guy who's worth a 3rd round pick.  I always laugh at these type of posts.  This guys sucks, lets get rid of him, we can get a good pick for him!  At this point and even prior to this year, I think more teams would question whether Davis's 4 TD playoff game was more of a fluke and not giving out a day two draft pick.  Maybe could get a 5th or 6th for him.

Add to that why trade a starter when the team has SB aspirations?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Why would you want to trade a guy who's worth a 3rd round pick.  I always laugh at these type of posts.  This guys sucks, lets get rid of him, we can get a good pick for him!  At this point and even prior to this year, I think more teams would question whether Davis's 4 TD playoff game was more of a fluke and not giving out a day two draft pick.  Maybe could get a 5th or 6th for him.

Just draft Odunze in the 1st round and close the book on "not so Big Game Gabe".

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My reasoning is that first, as everything stands now, trading Davis was the correct thing to do. Then I go back and remember how I thought about things when the off season started. I wasn’t high on, or even slightly stoned about, Davis becoming a WR2. Sure he was a starter on the roster. Fine. And a became captain (which I peg as a joke move). But teams have to take risks. And this was a risk that made a lot of sense.

I’m not sure what we’re saying here.

-We would only get a 5th or 6th for Davis so why trade him?

-Why trade a starter?

Which is it? Surely, now, you’d agree that if given a 3rd before the draft, we should have done it; or, given a 3rd at the trade deadline, we should’ve done it. It’d be a tough pill to swallow post draft - preseason, unless we drafted the Ohio St. WR in the 1st. 

It’s like we’re saying we’d never get a 3rd for this guy, but if we were offered, then yes. But at the same time, saying, Why would we trade a starter..?

Nowhere did I say we should’ve taken less than a 3rd. And I think some team (stupid preferably [the Jets]) could’ve been had. I may be dreaming, but I’ve seen worse deals. 

Only my opinions. What do I know..

42 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Begs the question. Named a captain?! How on earth does that happen, that this coach gives out that title to (motivate an underperforming player) a player that you think you can will be become a star? At this level of football. Talk about Mickey Mouse. 

The players decide the captains.

Gabe Davis doesn't come across to me like much of a leader. I was floored when he was named captain. Think that was Josh Allen campaigning for his buddy.

• Eyeroll 1

So much focus on Davis when the problem has never been Davis.  We needed to replace Beasley's catches (ala Shakir or Kincaid) and Davis was never going to do that.  Davis keeps safeties over the top and he run blocks.  That what he does.  Our offensive woes are because our QB can't consistently find hot reads and we refuse to use the running game to make teams put guys in the box.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

So much focus on Davis when the problem has never been Davis.  We needed to replace Beasley's catches (ala Shakir or Kincaid) and Davis was never going to do that.  Davis keeps safeties over the top and he run blocks.  That what he does.  Our offensive woes are because our QB can't consistently find hot reads and we refuse to use the running game to make teams put guys in the box.  

I mean.. our WR2 is a decoy and blocker?? What kind of offense is that?! 

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Players vote it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here's what I see. If/when Gabe hits FA, unless someone views him as the next Christian Kirk I think he will land around the same deal the Jets game Allen Lazard. That was 4 years $44M. That seems like his ballpark. Right now that's projected to net the Packers a 4th round comp pick. 

So, I'd ask...would anyone have given at least a 4th rounder for him? Maybe. But what good is a pick next year going to do this year? I think the right move was to keep him. He's more valuable for this year to the Bills than that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

So you’re telling us that he’s a “nothing player”.  You on a message board can see it.

But a GM is going to “sink their teeth” in watching a highlight reel?  A highlight reel is going to fool them or something?

This must be the greatest highlight film of all time where a “no nothing player” can be traded for a 3rd rounder.

GM: “Well Pat McAfee , we originally didn’t think much of Gabe Davis but then we saw this highlight film and we had to change our pants.”

My reasoning is that first, as everything stands now, trading Davis was the correct thing to do. Then I go back and remember how I thought about things when the off season started. I wasn’t high on, or even slightly stoned about, Davis becoming a WR2. Sure he was a starter on the roster. Fine. And a became captain (which I peg as a joke move). But teams have to take risks. And this was a risk that made a lot of sense.

I’m not sure what we’re saying here.

-We would only get a 5th or 6th for Davis so why trade him?

-Why trade a starter?

Which is it? Surely, now, you’d agree that if given a 3rd before the draft, we should have done it; or, given a 3rd at the trade deadline, we should’ve done it. It’d be a tough pill to swallow post draft - preseason, unless we drafted the Ohio St. WR in the 1st. 

It’s like we’re saying we’d never get a 3rd for this guy, but if we were offered, then yes. But at the same time, saying, Why would we trade a starter..?

Nowhere did I say we should’ve taken less than a 3rd. And I think some team (stupid preferably [the Jets]) could’ve been had. I may be dreaming, but I’ve seen worse deals. 

Only my opinions. What do I know..

What I'm simply saying is why would a team trade a 3rd round pick for a guy who you' yourself is saying isn't very good.  You could probably have got a 5th or a 6th for him. This isn't the NBA where teams trade 1st rounders like they change underwear.  In the NFL teams put high values on draft picks and only trade high ones for established stars.  Teams gave up #1's for Hill and Diggs. Davis isn't close to that level to even get a 3rd.

What none of use knew and while the coaches and front office had a much better idea, they also didn't know for certain how much Davis injury last year was effecting him last season.

Two weeks a go Davis had a real good game.  So what is the problem, Davis, or Allen not throwing to him enough, or the wrong plays being called for Davis?

And to your point, while not likely, how do any of us know Beane didn't try and trade Davis, but again all he got were very low offers.

The time to trade Davis was after his four-touchdown performance in the 13 seconds game. This board and everyone else would have howled, and it would have been impossibly prescient, but it would have been a terrific move. Pick up a first-rounder in exchange for an injury-prone WR with below-average hands, speed, quickness, YAC, and route-running.

So, we're all disappointed with Davis, so in your mind that means we should have been able to trade him for a really good draft pick?

If we are disappointed, everyone else is too. They can see his limitations as a player just like we can. His stock has never been lower. We would have gotten a 5th rounder, maybe. He is on the final year of his deal, after all. So he is half season rental with limitations as a #2 WR. I'm sure teams were lining up to trade for him...

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Players vote on captains

Would like to see Shakir play the 2 spot and run 12 personnel when Knox gets back.  Either way if we actually ran the ball and threw short enough to make teams do something other than play shells on us Davis would be more productive.  It's not that Davis is never open.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/11/8/23951740/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-wr-gabe-davis-vs-the-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-week-9-snf

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

This Trade Gabe scenario includes the off season. All of it. We can’t cherry pick and say Gabe was going to turn into a bonafide WR2, so why would we trade him?— 

As the season played out, it’s obvious now (to some) that he’s got to go. But I’m sorry, it’s Beane’s job to see this coming. The facts that this was a highly debated issue all off season.. we can’t claim that Beane was blindsided by its development. I actually think he tried to alleviate Davis’s ineffectiveness with Kincaid, Sherfeld, Harty, and the others. If we have a Higgins, no way he spends that much effort on WR. 

So he knew! And we are going to ride out this contract and get nada. That’s a miss to me.

Beane was supposed to predict that the entire defensive core would get hurt?

Again, why would we trade Gabe without an obvious upgrade at the position? Why make a clear downgrade at talent when we are trying to win a Super Bowl?

Your entire argument is based on seeing the future.

Also, if Gabe gets paid, we’ll get a comp pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.