McDermott answers why we stopped uptempo offense

Einstein

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Great, then we can be the Philip Rivers Chargers! Yaaaay! 

What a joke. 

That’s what the Bills are now! Time to do better.

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Not a McD fan and think he is at his ceiling, but this is a great point and very worrisome

I’d let Beane take a crack at it.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So many have it wrong in this thread...you guys realize that McD is giving you DORSEY's answer to why they didn't run the uptempo right?  

All this anger at McD over the answer is totally misguided.  Now if you want to be mad at McD for not yet firing Dorsey, then that is fair game.  But this answer everyone is so upset about is the answer Dorsey gave McD after they met and reviewed the game.  

FIRE DORSEY

This is all speculation obviously, but even if that is the case despite being the HC to fire someone at the level of an OC McDermott would need approval from the top.

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

What leads you to believe this? Why would the OC who scripted an up tempo start with the QB, suddenly decide to not keep what worked so well? 

That's a defensive mindset that wanted to try and slow the game down cause he didn't want to end up in a shootout.

McDermott was the one who failed at the end of the half sending out the punt unit with like 15 seconds left, instead of a hail Mary. The moment was too big for him and he didn't have a time out to slow things down so he could think about what to do.

Which is the second blunder he has made with less than 20 seconds on the clock. He never even should of sent the punting unit out there.

That doesn't really make any sense, what was this defensive mindset to instead of a shootout just get shot? From Dorsey's side I could see the up tempo being embarrassing because it seemingly puts a lot more of the decision making into the hands of the QB.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

There's more than just a "risk" of getting worse.

The Bills best chance of maintaining success is probably to minimize the amount of involvement that Pegula has with the football (or hockey) side of operations.

McDermott is a solid coach who is respected by his players and his peers. Letting Terry pick another coach to replace that is a potential nightmare in the offing.

The only thing the Bills should do in regard to McDermott is hire a real DC for next year so he's not walking around with so many hats on at once.

McDermott is Doug Collins and the Bills need their Phil Jackson. Let Beane pick the new coach. Every coach is hired to be fired. If Tom Landry can get fired, Sean McDermott can be too. Chan Gailey could get the Bills to the playoffs if he had Josh Allen. 

4 hours ago, Simon said:

You want to use the same consulting service to hire the new coach that you used to hire the coach you're now firing for cause?

McDermott was actually hired to do a different job than the one he has now. Seriously. He was hired to turn around a moribund franchise, and he succeeded with flying colors. I'll never lose my gratitude to him for moving mountains to pull us out of the drought years. Whatever consulting firm recommended him for that job, I'd happily take their recommendation again for the next one.

But now his job is to turn a very good team into a Super Bowl winner. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the two jobs require different skill sets. Even in the corporate world there are guys that specialize in turning a flailing company around, before handing it off to a steady management team to take it the rest of the way. I think that's the stage we are at now.

Also I think this hiring process would be relatively easy. One of the richest owners in the league offering the opportunity to coach the back half of Josh Allen's career, with a couple years still left of Diggs in his prime, a budding star in Kincaid, and a defense full of older players that can easily be switched out with preferred players for the new DC's scheme. It would be the most attractive head coach opening since Denver in 2015.

The public pressure would be high to hire an offensive coach and Pegula would have his pick of the litter. I'd be shocked if it ended up a total disaster. To me the obvious answer would be Ben Johnson and I suspect that Pegula would eventually land on him as well.

If nothing else, getting some new voices in the building next year might do wonders for the malaise that everyone on the team is clearly feeling. The new regime takes Diggs in a room to vent for an hour and promises to make changes. They sit Allen down and design a system around his strengths, remind him how much fun he used to have playing QB, and he enters the offseason feeling like a man on a mission. Just totally hit the reset button with all of the drama and BS that's bubbled up over the past few years and I bet it ignites a spark in the team.

You don't think that possible outcome is worth a little risk?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

McDermott was actually hired to do a different job than the one he has now. Seriously. He was hired to turn around a moribund franchise, and he succeeded with flying colors. I'll never lose my gratitude to him for moving mountains to pull us out of the drought years. Whatever consulting firm recommended him for that job, I'd happily take their recommendation again for the next one.

But now his job is to turn a very good team into a Super Bowl winner. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the two jobs require different skill sets. Even in the corporate world there are guys that specialize in turning a flailing company around, before handing it off to a steady management team to take it the rest of the way. I think that's the stage we are at now.

Also I think this hiring process would be relatively easy. One of the richest owners in the league offering the opportunity to coach the back half of Josh Allen's career, with a couple years still left of Diggs in his prime, a budding star in Kincaid, and a defense full of older players that can easily be switched out with preferred players for the new DC's scheme. It would be the most attractive head coach opening since Denver in 2015.

The public pressure would be high to hire an offensive coach and Pegula would have his pick of the litter. I'd be shocked if it ended up a total disaster. To me the obvious answer would be Ben Johnson and I suspect that Pegula would eventually land on him as well.

If nothing else, getting some new voices in the building next year might do wonders for the malaise that everyone on the team is clearly feeling. The new regime takes Diggs in a room to vent for an hour and promises to make changes. They sit Allen down and design a system around his strengths and he enters the offseason feeling like a man on a mission. Just totally hit the reset button with all of the drama and BS that's bubbled up over the past few years and I bet it ignites a spark in the team. You don't think that possible outcome is worth a little risk?

I do. But I have 0.0% trust in Terry Pegula to get it right. He is the least competent of the 3 top men in the organisation.

Which is mot an excuse for standing pat by the way. And I don't offer it as one. But my confidence that Terry wouldn't screw it up is extremely low.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do. But I have 0.0% trust in Terry Pegula to get it right. He is the least competent of the 3 top men in the organisation.

Like I said I don't think getting the head coach right would be difficult. These days you hire the next up and coming offensive mind and give them total control of the team. Pegula might not know that, but the people he hires to lead the search will. Ben Johnson is an easy choice, if he wants to be a head coach. I would give Bienemy real consideration. I'm sure there are others along those lines.

To me the worst case scenario is we stick with McDermott and then Ben Johnson ends up with the Chargers, and our position in the AFC dwindles further.

Edited by HappyDays

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Like I said I don't think getting the head coach right would be difficult. These days you hire the next up and coming offensive mind and give them total control of the team. Pegula might not know that, but the people he hires to lead the search will. Ben Johnson is an easy choice, if he wants to be a head coach. I would give Bienemy real consideration. I'm sure there are others along those lines.

To me the worst case scenario is we stick with McDermott and then Ben Johnson ends up with the Chargers, and our position in the AFC dwindles further.

I don't think it needs to be difficult for Terry to screw it up.

4 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Like replacing Lindy Ruff with Ron Rolston?

Why does an NHL hire from a decade ago have any relevance to this conversation at all? I don't watch hockey but even I know that managing NHL teams is entirely different from managing NFL teams. This is just fishing for reasons to keep McDermott around.

Like honestly what do you think is going to happen, Pegula will shock the world and hire Hue Jackson? It isn't that complicated. The formula for hiring a head coach in the modern NFL has been established.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it needs to be difficult for Terry to screw it up.

I'll admit Ben Johnson sways my opinion in this discussion. Knowing that he is likely available this offseason makes this an easy call IMO. Given such an attractive and obvious candidate, there would be overwhelming support for that hire from everybody Pegula consulted. So I think it is the exact right offseason for Pegula to make this move without us having to worry about him screwing it up.

If Ben Johnson ultimately fails as a head coach I can live with that. At least we'll have tried.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Mods if this belongs in another thread, please feel free to merge it. I didn’t know where this exactly fits in.

just the dumbest thing ive ever heard. After the game he said he needed to find out why we went away from up tempo, so that tells me he's covering for Dorsey now and is who is responsible for the bad game plans.

McDermott isnt getting fired so we need to get a new OC .

Side note #MattAraiza

7 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

I’ve always been a huge McDermott fan… but I’m losing faith he can get us to the SB. 

yeah ... 😕😕

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Come on now.  Be patient, ... trust the Process!  

That’s quite funny relating to one of the most patient fanbases in all of sports.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I will admit to being a little entertained by this last month of laughable coaching, culminating in this rock bottom press conference. If the team isn't going to be good, they might as well be hilariously bumbling. Maybe it will even tip Pegula over the edge.

The cherry on top was him throwing the challenge flag on an obvious incompletion.  It did get some laughs across the country I’m sure.. and a forfeited timeout.  

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So many have it wrong in this thread...you guys realize that McD is giving you DORSEY's answer to why they didn't run the uptempo right?  

All this anger at McD over the answer is totally misguided.  Now if you want to be mad at McD for not yet firing Dorsey, then that is fair game.  But this answer everyone is so upset about is the answer Dorsey gave McD after they met and reviewed the game.  

FIRE DORSEY

Yep. Dorsey said what I have been thinking this whole time. He overthinks it.

He said they change up the offense so it doesn't become predictable. Are you kidding me? 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Mods if this belongs in another thread, please feel free to merge it. I didn’t know where this exactly fits in.

Another hint that McDermott is totally behind play calling while some fans just want to fire Dorsey when he is only doing what he is told.  Not sure when fans are going to get it,  this team has not look the same on offence his the KC playoff game which was Dabol's last game.  Dorsey was given the job with the understanding that they need to play more conservative and have long time consuming drives= complimentary football as McDermott continues to talk about. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Why does an NHL hire from a decade ago have any relevance to this conversation at all? I don't watch hockey but even I know that managing NHL teams is entirely different from managing NFL teams. This is just fishing for reasons to keep McDermott around.

Like honestly what do you think is going to happen, Pegula will shock the world and hire Hue Jackson? It isn't that complicated. The formula for hiring a head coach in the modern NFL has been established.

I'll admit Ben Johnson sways my opinion in this discussion. Knowing that he is likely available this offseason makes this an easy call IMO. Given such an attractive and obvious candidate, there would be overwhelming support for that hire from everybody Pegula consulted. So I think it is the exact right offseason for Pegula to make this move without us having to worry about him screwing it up.

If Ben Johnson ultimately fails as a head coach I can live with that. At least we'll have tried.

do you think it makes sense to rebuild again with a new coaching staff?  Burn 2-3 seasons changing out the roster to fit brand new schemes on offense and defense?    I waited too long for a truly competitive team.  Don't blow it up over a few sideways away games against top teams. 

8 hours ago, JTown said:

I don't know how people cannot see that he has already lost the team.  IMO he lost a good majority after the 13 second game.  Everything has continued to unravel since.  The dejected look on Josh's face when Diggs was allegedly screaming at him has never left.  I am certain Josh is more frustrated than anyone on the team.  He can't just go rogue and call his own plays.  I'm relatively certain that Diggs issue during OTAs was his displeasure with the way the offense was being run, but I think Josh convinced him they could make it work.  Get your popcorn ready because I think Diggs will eventually speak his mind.  Unfortunately,  it's  going to get a lot uglier.  Book it.

His buddy Beanne totally covered up 13 secs,  perhaps the biggest playoff meltdown ever.  Just tired of everyone taking the blame when things go wrong but McDermott.  This team lost games to the Jets/Jags/Pats,  all 3 games were games they should have won and team did not look prepared to play.  Even if they win 2 out of the 3 they are in a much better place.  The offensive play calling and decision not to use tempo is all on McDermott and his cavemen football thinking.  How many more wasted Allen years do we have to have before Mcdermott stans concede that it is time to move on and hire an offensive minded HC. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Do you really want Terry Pegula making another coaching hire?

What are the odds that he is capable of hiring somebody that is an actual upgrade over McDermott?

Given his low football acumen, I understand your hesitation.  My point was more that there is likely someone out there that would bring them forward, not backwards.

10 hours ago, Roundybout said:

He won’t and you can enjoy us trotting out some journeyman while we convince ourselves that ground n pound is gonna get us a ring. 

Like I said, if we fire McD I hope to god he wins the Super Bowl the very next season. 

For every Siriani, there are a dozen mediocre pieces of garbage at head coach. 

I refuse to fire a proven winner just to hire Joe Judge/Arthur Smith/Pat Schurmer/Freddie Kitchens

I bet it's not a binary choice as you put it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If nothing else, getting some new voices in the building next year might do wonders for the malaise that everyone on the team is clearly feeling. The new regime takes Diggs in a room to vent for an hour and promises to make changes. They sit Allen down and design a system around his strengths, remind him how much fun he used to have playing QB, and he enters the offseason feeling like a man on a mission. Just totally hit the reset button with all of the drama and BS that's bubbled up over the past few years and I bet it ignites a spark in the team.

You don't think that possible outcome is worth a little risk?

Cannot be more agree. 

At the end, it's all about expectations.

11 hours ago, Roundybout said:

The Eagles have the most talented roster in the NFL. You could plug Chip Kelly in there and they'd still be having success. 

Oh he lost the team? Is that why we finished with double-digit wins the next season and won the division again? 

you're new here so i'll be kind. i'll give you a few bullet points

there was a near mutiny in the locker room that escalated to the plane. players were not happy and blaming the defense for the let down. frazier was not calling the plays.

mcdermott said they would take a look at it and hold everyone accountable despite him telling the coverage team they're squibing but the kicker never finding out and kicking it deep. it was mcd who said to squib and no one told the kicker. he fired the ST coordinator.

daboll was concerned that mcdermott kept investing tons of resources and energy into defense and not getting the attention he needed. daboll knew what he had the potential for on offense and shawn was so busy help and covering for frazier that a rift was exposed.

further nothing was compatible - mcdermott and beane kept bringing in pieces that daboll didn't need and could not use - save for sanders, beasley. daboll couldn't use a knickknack player like mckenzie, he wanted better ol, he had requests that went ignored.

Edited by boyst
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I will admit to being a little entertained by this last month of laughable coaching, culminating in this rock bottom press conference. If the team isn't going to be good, they might as well be hilariously bumbling. Maybe it will even tip Pegula over the edge.

If they lose at home on primetime TV to the Broncos, that might do it.  I share your affection for Ben Johnson.  This week will also be interesting because the Big 10 is going to be levying some kind of punishment on Michigan - perhaps it frees up Harbaugh, and perhaps he becomes Option A (and yes I’m aware he once fought Jim Kelly nobody cares anymore).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, boyst said:

you're new here so i'll be kind. i'll give you a few bullet points

there was a near mutiny in the locker room that escalated to the plane. players were not happy and blaming the defense for the let down. frazier was not calling the plays.

mcdermott said they would take a look at it and hold everyone accountable despite him telling the coverage team they're squibing but the kicker never finding out and kicking it deep. it was mcd who said to squib and no one told the kicker. he fired the ST coordinator.

daboll was concerned that mcdermott kept investing tons of resources and energy into defense and not getting the attention he needed. daboll knew what he had the potential for on offense and shawn was so busy help and covering for frazier that a rift was exposed.

further nothing was compatible - mcdermott and beane kept bringing in pieces that daboll didn't need and could not use - save for sanders, dorsey. daboll couldn't use a knickknack player like mckenzie, he wanted better ol, he had requests that went ignored.

I’ve been here years with 8000 posts, not sure where you’re getting new from.

Theres zero evidence for any kind of “mutiny” beyond anecdotal evidence. I don’t buy it. Of course the players are going to be upset after a loss like that.

If they truly hated McD, why did we win the division again the next season? 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Given his low football acumen, I understand your hesitation.  My point was more that there is likely someone out there that would bring them forward, not backwards.

I bet it's not a binary choice as you put it.

You trust Pegula to hit again? I dont.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

just the dumbest thing ive ever heard. After the game he said he needed to find out why we went away from up tempo, so that tells me he's covering for Dorsey now and is who is responsible for the bad game plans.

Side note #MattAraiza

yeah ... 😕😕

Why have no other teams signed Araiza if he’s so good?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I’ve been here years with 8000 posts, not sure where you’re getting new from.

Theres zero evidence for any kind of “mutiny” beyond anecdotal evidence. I don’t buy it. Of course the players are going to be upset after a loss like that.

If they truly hated McD, why did we win the division again the next season? 

You trust Pegula to hit again? I dont.

Why have no other teams signed Araiza if he’s so good?

alright, well you're new to me... and post count doesn't mean as much as post content.

and of course you haven't heard it. the media in buffalo won't touch it and it's sad. but you can believe it or not - but it's what happened. the players had to be pulled away from each other.

your question fo if they hated mcd and why they won the next season? uhh, players like to win and we have good players.

i could easily argue that the victories we have are because of the players more than anything else, especially miami this year.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JTown said:

I don't know how people cannot see that he has already lost the team.  IMO he lost a good majority after the 13 second game.  Everything has continued to unravel since.  The dejected look on Josh's face when Diggs was allegedly screaming at him has never left.  I am certain Josh is more frustrated than anyone on the team.  He can't just go rogue and call his own plays.  I'm relatively certain that Diggs issue during OTAs was his displeasure with the way the offense was being run, but I think Josh convinced him they could make it work.  Get your popcorn ready because I think Diggs will eventually speak his mind.  Unfortunately,  it's  going to get a lot uglier.  Book it.

You people don’t know what “lost the team” looks like 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Side note #MattAraiza

yeah ... 😕😕

#MattAraiza #MattToo:wub:

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

alright, well you're new to me... and post count doesn't mean as much as post content.

and of course you haven't heard it. the media in buffalo won't touch it and it's sad. but you can believe it or not - but it's what happened. the players had to be pulled away from each other.

your question fo if they hated mcd and why they won the next season? uhh, players like to win and we have good players.

i could easily argue that the victories we have are because of the players more than anything else, especially miami this year.

Sorry, I didn’t know I was in the presence of the forum god. Us nobodies will be more respectful next time. 

How do you know it’s what happened? Where are you getting it from? I don’t disagree that the sports media around here kind of sucks, but someone like Tim Graham would have gotten it. 

So they hated McD enough to listen to him and have another season with double digit wins? Did they just go rogue?

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

This is him basically saying "I delegate that responsibility to my OC to do what he thinks is best during a game and this is really on him, but I am not going throw him under the bus directly."  

Honestly, he is taking bullets for Dorsey right now and not publicly disparaging him.  Behind closed doors, I wonder what is going on tho.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is him basically saying "I delegate that responsibility to my OC to do what he thinks is best during a game and this is really on him, but I am not going throw him under the bus directly."  

Honestly, he is taking bullets for Dorsey right now and not publicly disparaging.  Behind closed doors, I wonder what is going on tho.

Yep but also basically admitting he’s not part of the weekly offensive install which is shocking, especially for a game of that magnitude.  What I think actually happened was that someone decided that the Bengals’ DC is too clever and prepared (aka a better coach) to run the same offensive concepts they ran the previous game so they tried to catch the Bengals off guard with a different set of concepts.

They are morons.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

Do we know what players were involved and going at each other specifically Boyst?

2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

He is garbage.....I mean garbage. McDaniels would be a better coach for this team. Unfortunately 

I'd take Ruxin in a hot second!:wub:

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Sorry, I didn’t know I was in the presence of the forum god. Us nobodies will be more respectful next time. 

How do you know it’s what happened? Where are you getting it from? I don’t disagree that the sports media around here kind of sucks, but someone like Tim Graham would have gotten it. 

So they hated McD enough to listen to him and have another season with double digit wins? Did they just go rogue?

of course, i understand it's not easy to recognize how great i am.

i just know it did.

the players want to win regardless of who the coach is but when is the last time this team had an identity? even the defense? these guys are institutionalized to the system of the nfl and those who are not we often hear rumors about them being unhappy (hughes, and diggs notably).

3 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Do we know what players were involved and going at each other specifically Boyst?

hughes, mckenzie, diggs, feleciano, poyer, wallace, a few others

offense v. defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

10 hours ago, Simon said:

C'mon man, you know I didn't say or even imply that.

If McDermott was genuinely awful or had been for years, then of course you cut bait and let Pegula hire anew.

But he's not awful and has been successful sine he's got here.

I don't want to see perfect become the enemy of good when the downside is arguably greater than the upside 

You want to use the same consulting service to hire the new coach that you used to hire the coach you're now firing for cause?

There's something in there that doesn't smell right.

Some mostly irrelevant Insider info: You know who in the organization was selling McDermott hard and was primarily responsible for his hiring?

Doug Whaley was the one who talked Pegula into hiring him. 🤯

You didnt say it, and I know you were just joking (as am I), but that statement DOES imply no new coaching hire ever. Since it will always be Terry making the decision. What else could it mean? Regardless...

If McDermott was genuinely awful, then I wouldnt trust Terry and the Consulting Service to pick a new coach. But he hasnt been awful. He's been very good. But now he isnt good enough as we've hit his ceiling. So I trust that the same group can build on that and find someone better.

It's not the Consultants who picked Rex :bag:

I trust Pegula more with Bills decisions than Sabres decisions because Terry doesnt trust himself with the NFL.

Terry is a hockey guy. Always has been. He got into all of this because he needed something to do in retirement and thought running a hockey team for $150M would be a fun little lark.

He got pushed into the NFL ownership, and was aware from the very first moment that they were in over their heads. So he's more keen to listen to others, or bring in outside firms to help. Where as with the NHL, he thinks he knows enough to decide everything himself.

And if the Consulting Service and Whaley got us McD, I'd love to see the the Service and Beane would get us. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

That’s quite funny relating to one of the most patient fanbases in all of sports.  

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Indeed.  But it's only been 7 seasons.  He obviously needs more time to iron out the kinks.  

I was patient with him, but I'm done with him now. He has to go. After 13 seconds, he tried to sweep it under the rug, but they clearly screwed up. 

Now watching him throttle down this offense is too much.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree they should go up Tempo more and build in it to the game plan.  But people need to realize it won't always work, and there will be some very fast 3 and outs.  When that happens, it won't be good on the D.

The Book has been written on how to stop the Bills offense.  Clearly teams are not willing to give up the big play to Allen/Diggs/Gabe.  D-Coordinators are saying, OK lets see if you Buffalo Bills can nickel and dime your way down the field with your impatient QB and crappy running game.  Because at some point during an 8-10 play drive, they bank on Allen throwing an INT, or the offense fumbling, taking a sack, taking a bad penalty, tipped pass, not converting a 3rd down, etc..  Kind of the same philosophy our defense uses. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.