Bears CB Jaylon Johnson Requests to be Traded

ExiledInIllinois

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Source: #Packers DB Rasul Douglas to the #Bills.

Whelp......there's our move.....

Spotrac

@spotrac

TRADE #Bills Acquire 5th Round Pick CB Rasul Douglas 2023: $838,235 2024: $9M (non-GTD) #Packers Acquire 3rd Round Pick

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Good on Beane for making a push but having other forks in the fire as well. Would Jaylon have been awesome? Absolutely! Am I thrilled that we didn't get left at the alter and went ahead and made a play for a pretty good player in Douglas when it became apparent Johnson wasn't happening? You better believe it 

Just now, Roundybout said:

I really don’t know what Chicago is doing. If they’re tanking wouldn’t you want draft capital instead of a guy who is most likely gone after the season anyways?

The more that I think about Chicago, the more that I think that the guys that are making decisions won't be the guys making the picks unless they start showing some promise. So their interests and the long-term interests of the franchise don't coincide.

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The more that I think about Chicago, the more that I think that the guys that are making decisions won't be the guys making the picks unless they start showing some promise. So their interests and the long-term interests of the franchise don't coincide.

Which doesn't make any sense and shows that there's no real vision at the top level. We did this over the 2017 offseason when we unloaded guys like Watkins and Darby even though Whaley was still here. 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Which doesn't make any sense and shows that there's no real vision at the top level. We did this over the 2017 offseason when we unloaded guys like Watkins and Darby even though Whaley was still here. 

I think it just more evidence Ryan Poles isnt good at his job.    Gave up a 2nd for Claypool then less than a year later moved him for a 6th.  Essentially traded a 2nd and 7th round pick for a 6th lol.    Then traded another 2nd for a guy who averages 8.5 sacks a year with no contract control after this season.    But refuses to take draft picks for a guy he likely wont have after this season.  

If I am the Bears owner no way I let this guy make the draft pick this year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

There is a really good video where Tom Grossi goes into what is going on with the Bears. They have no leadership. Their primary owner is George Hallas' 100 yo daughter. They keep missing on coach/GM hires because they keep letting the same people run the search. And what's ironic is that Bill Polian has his fingerprints all over the dysfunction. 

Lots of guys want to move to better teams, but none of them ever seem to want to take fair market value or a little less for their services.

This dude priced himself out, and will likely end up on a bottom feeder so he can make the most coin. 

Nothing wrong with that if he decides that, but let's call it what it is

22 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Lots of guys want to move to better teams, but none of them ever seem to want to take fair market value or a little less for their services.

This dude priced himself out, and will likely end up on a bottom feeder so he can make the most coin. 

Nothing wrong with that if he decides that, but let's call it what it is

The nature of the NFL is that it's a business and players know they on borrowed time so cash in when you can because once you can't then there's likely someone in line to replace you. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Going to guess the asking price was a first then if it was “too high”. 

Have to believe they would be willing to part with multiple picks; one day two and a third day pick/s. 

Was it Chicago’s asking price or Johnson’s agent’s?

58 minutes ago, transient said:

Was it Chicago’s asking price or Johnson’s agent’s?

As a rule, player agents don’t normally dictate terms of a trade, so I’d say it was Bears management that decided no offer was good enough. They’re gonna regret that hardball stance when he leaves for nothing in free agency. Unless they tag him, which would be a fun circus to watch unfold.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

As a rule, player agents don’t normally dictate terms of a trade, so I’d say it was Bears management that decided no offer was good enough. They’re gonna regret that hardball stance when he leaves for nothing in free agency. Unless they tag him, which would be a fun circus to watch unfold.

Crazy they wouldn’t try and get something for him as I think they would still attempt to shell out the contract he’ll be asking for if his season continues the way it does. Maybe they believed that if they retain him for the year they have a better chance at keeping his services as, I’m sure like many have said in this thread, any team he was traded to would be looking at securing an extension immediately after a trade. 

If that is the case, can we expect an extension in the coming weeks? A failed attempt at that would surely mean he’s out the door come season’s end…

Edited by BBFL

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

So was the asking price too high for what the Bears wanted or did they talk about what this guy wanted to sign a long term deal and that was too high?   As the Bills were not interested in basically giving up draft picks for a rental??

52 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Crazy they wouldn’t try and get something for him as I think they would still attempt to shell out the contract he’ll be asking for if his season continues the way it does. Maybe they believed that if they retain him for the year they have a better chance at keeping his services as, I’m sure like many have said in this thread, any team he was traded to would be looking at securing an extension immediately after a trade. 

If that is the case, can we expect an extension in the coming weeks? A failed attempt at that would surely mean he’s out the door come season’s end…

Anything is possible, but he seems adamant about wanting out of Chi town. Then again, money has a way of smoothing things over.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

People always say its not smart to make these moves, but the top-tier teams often do it.

Eagles are constantly trading lottery tickets (draft picks) for proven players. 

I love that model.

I do too, but we often hear it's not smart. Idk man. I look at the Rams. Yeah they are in some tight spots but they won one. And we'd still have Josh. We always hear "as long as we have Josh we are contenders". If that's true then why not just go for it and worry later. Idk. Not smart i guess lol. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

The Bears gave him and his agent the opportunity to seek out a trade because they couldn't agree on contract terms with him, so you would assume any team interested in trading for him would gauge what he was asking for in a contract, unless they were interested in burning draft capital for a rental. Sounds like he and his agent were throwing out some big numbers.

image.thumb.png.1d25e25d6ecb61f16c3acc90dd3ef57f.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, transient said:

The Bears gave him and his agent the opportunity to seek out a trade because they couldn't agree on contract terms with him, so you would assume any team interested in trading for him would gauge what he was asking for in a contract, unless they were interested in burning draft capital for a rental. Sounds like he and his agent were throwing out some big numbers.

image.thumb.png.1d25e25d6ecb61f16c3acc90dd3ef57f.png

It’ll be interesting to see if teams are interested in meeting his number when he becomes a free agent. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’ll be interesting to see if teams are interested in meeting his number when he becomes a free agent. 

I'd be surprised if he makes it to market. From the sounds of it, the Bears made him the best offer. But he and his agent wanted to see if he could get paid better by a better team. So they were able to "seek a trade" to gauge interest.

They then asked for more money than the Bears offered. And if Greg Gabriel's tweet was to be believed "no one was going to pay him what he was asking". 

So he'll probably just take the Bears offer and extend now.

On 10/31/2023 at 9:20 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed, bug you can’t count on Tre playing for the Bills again.  Bills are in need of a #1 CB long term.  Benford is a cost controlled good #2 CB for next 3 years.  

Maybe Tre wont mKe it back at CB, but he could replace Hyde in a year or two. Hard to say. Achilles injuries have effectively ended many careers.

21 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So was the asking price too high for what the Bears wanted or did they talk about what this guy wanted to sign a long term deal and that was too high?   As the Bills were not interested in basically giving up draft picks for a rental??

Yeah, no, I was involved in the negotiations. But given he’s signed through next year, we could just cut him if it served us.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.