Bears CB Jaylon Johnson Requests to be Traded

ExiledInIllinois

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

i don't know if i want to send a first for a guy looking to cash in. i'd consider Elam + a 2nd or preferably a 3rd.

Agreed Elam and a 3rd is the most I would give up. Doing this means Tre White is gone next year and we need all the high draft picks we can muster in this loaded draft class for other needs. I trust our FO with finding late round DBs…but we also have expiring WR contracts coming up in a draft class with a lot of talent at the position (love the UW kid #1 and I love that UNC kid Walker I think is his name). I want it all because winning this year is essential but having cheap great pieces for the future is just as important 

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

First plus on last year of contract?  Only if teams had chance to negotiation extension ahead of time and it would have to be an agent team really, really trusted.

He’s on the last year of his rookie deal, not some 32 year old vet looking for a ring. Zero chance he is traded without a contract extension in place. 

*The first plus assumes a pick expected to be at the end of the first round. A team expected to draft early or mid-round would be a different story. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

So if the Bills bring him in now, what's the over/under on McDermott playing him pre-Week 15? 

In all seriousness, McD is the type of coach who wants a player fully acclimated to his system before he puts them out there. Even guys we've brought back who know his system inside and outside usually sit a week or two before he's ok with activating them for gameday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

So if the Bills bring him in now, what's the over/under on McDermott playing him pre-Week 15? 

In all seriousness, McD is the type of coach who wants a player fully acclimated to his system before he puts them out there. Even guys we've brought back who know his system inside and outside usually sit a week or two before he's ok with activating them for gameday. 

There are no CBs currently on the roster with an interception, and the defense hasn't had a pick since the Miami game (four games in a row without one). My guess is that if he landed here, the lack of playmaking ability at the CB position would dictate that he plays sooner rather than later. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

He plays Week 10! Minimum.

7 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Agreed Elam and a 3rd is the most I would give up. Doing this means Tre White is gone next year and we need all the high draft picks we can muster in this loaded draft class for other needs. I trust our FO with finding late round DBs…but we also have expiring WR contracts coming up in a draft class with a lot of talent at the position (love the UW kid #1 and I love that UNC kid Walker I think is his name). I want it all because winning this year is essential but having cheap great pieces for the future is just as important 

white is going to be gone next year regardless. if we get a CB we kick the can on drafting one next year until 2025, hopefully
same with WR. we can kick the can if we cannot keep Davis and the newly acquired via trade wr.

the deep wr draft can get us a replacement for davis if we need it.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think Beane values draft picks to much to make this happen. Jaylon Johnson is 24 years old and a great corner. Given his age, I would seriously debate giving the Bears a 1st or at the very least a 2 and a 5. I think both of those are too steep for Beane 

See Diggs trade 

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

white is going to be gone next year regardless. if we get a CB we kick the can on drafting one next year until 2025, hopefully
same with WR. we can kick the can if we cannot keep Davis and the newly acquired via trade wr.

the deep wr draft can get us a replacement for davis if we need it.

I just hope Beane finally understands that Davis is not a reliable #2 WR. He showed up last week, he showed up vs Steelers last year, and showed up huge vs KC in the playoff loss. He’s fun to have as 3rd WR but anything more than a 3yr 30mil contract would be insane.

Plus I LOVE Diggs but he’s on the back 9 of his career too. Time to really Invest in a WR early in the draft. No more lame duck potential guys like Shorter, Shakir (hopefully he becomes something), etc

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I want it all because winning this year is essential but having cheap great pieces for the future is just as important 

It's easy to have lot's of talented rosters over 50+ years but it's REALLY EASY not to win a SB in that span............so no,  they aren't equally important.  

I am a draftnik and big college football fan who follows HS recruiting etc...........but I can say without hesitation that the most overrated personnel chip is a 1st round pick.    Less than half of them are worth picking up their option after year 3.    It looks like a good draft class but you just never know if you are going to hit or miss so if the right player is out there who can make a big difference it's not necessarily the bad play people assume it will be.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If you assume Tre White is done with the Bills, we should consider trading for this guy and signing him to an extension.

I think we can save $5-6m cutting White this off-season. This guy is probably somewhere in the $15m-$20m range.

$6.2m saved with a normal cut, $10m dead cap to be eaten in 2024.

$10.4m saved with a 1 June designation, $10m dead cap hit spread over 2024 and 2025 ($6.2m in the first of those years)

If a new regime is in place (which I severely doubt) it will be the first of those. If McBeane are still at the controls it will be the second of those, or, they do something with the contract to bring him back so that rather than him being guaranteed $10m over 2 years he is guaranteed $15m but the non-guaranteed chunk is cut to bring his cap hit down and he has the chance to earn some of it back with incentives if he is able to stay on the field. 

I think with most players they'd say "just cut me" but I get the sense Tre might be the type to take an overall pay cut, for an increased guaranteed amount and a chance to re-establish himself in a scheme he has excelled in and in a place where he is comfortable. Not saying that will definitely happen. But I think it is a potential outcome here. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

If the Bears can’t sign him and another team wants him as only a rental, a 3rd round pick is more than fair compensation.

The bears can just keep him and get a 3rd round comp most likely next year.  If they are going to move him I imagine it has to be better than the comp pick they will get anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's easy to have lot's of talented rosters over 50+ years but it's REALLY EASY not to win a SB in that span............so no,  they aren't equally important.  

I am a draftnik and big college football fan who follows HS recruiting etc...........but I can say without hesitation that the most overrated personnel chip is a 1st round pick.    Less than half of them are worth picking up their option after year 3.    It looks like a good draft class but you just never know if you are going to hit or miss so if the right player is out there who can make a big difference it's not necessarily the bad play people assume it will be.

I do like the 2024 class the more college football I watch this year though. I think it is head and shoulders better than 2023. That said, I agree if there is a piece out there than can out you over the top do it.

I'm not sure Johnson is that guy though. Not at the cost of a first at least. It reminds me too much of the Kyle Fuller story. Also a Bears draft pick (but 1st round) was pretty ordinary through his first 3 years to the extent the Bears failed to take up his 5th year option then ended up tagging him after he broke out in year 4, paid him in year 5 when he was a 1st team all pro and then never played at that level again, was released 2 years later, bounced around with Denver and Baltimore for a couple of years, and now at 31 is out of football. I like Johnson more than I liked Fuller, and think he is more likely to sustain this level of play.... but a first round pick is too rich for my blood based on his career production. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you’re guaranteeing a SB championship with giving up a first for Jaylon Johnson then sure sounds great but we can’t push all of our chips in for a maybe imo. I’d love for our D to get a little tighter in coverage but our team will go as far as Josh takes us so unless Johnson doesn’t cost a lot I’m kicking the tires on cheaper options like Hopkins or Sutton for Josh to have now and still have our early draft capital to take a stud like Odunze for the future 

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The bears can just keep him and get a 3rd round comp most likely next year.  If they are going to move him I imagine it has to be better than the comp pick they will get anyway.

While the  Bears would get one in 2025 draft they only get a comp pick if they don't sign other players next summer. They have a lot of cap space, multiple holes and ownership will want to win. I fully expect them to sign a bunch of players thus get nixing the potential comp pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LLCoolCy said:

While the  Bears would get one in 2025 draft they only get a comp pick if they don't sign other players next summer. They have a lot of cap space, multiple holes and ownership will want to win. I fully expect them to sign a bunch of players thus get nixing the potential comp pick. 

yea that is true and a good point, their free agency will dictate that.  

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean... we'll probably be in line for another comp pick 3rd next year with Gabe and/or AJ potentially leaving.  

If they want two of them, I'm not giving them 2nd's, but I'll give them two 3rd's if they're one this year and one next. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

Just now, SCBills said:

I mean... we'll probably be in line for another comp pick 3rd next year with Gabe and/or AJ potentially leaving.  

If they want two of them, I'm not giving them 2nd's, but I'll give them two 3rd's if there one this year and one next. 

Make one of them a conditional that can become a 2nd if he's extended.  Seems fair 

Just now, SCBills said:

If they want two of them, I'm not giving them 2nd's, but I'll give them two 3rd's if there one this year and one next. 

I think you can also add the variable into this.

A 3 in 24 that becomes a 2 if he is extended and then a 3 in 25.

or a 2 next year and Elam, a 3 next year, Elam and a 5 in 25.

19 minutes ago, Beast said:

If the Bears can’t sign him and another team wants him as only a rental, a 3rd round pick is more than fair compensation.

That isn’t realistic in this case. If that is all that is offered then he won’t be traded. Instead the Bears will tag him if they can’t sign him to an extension before the deadline. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

That isn’t realistic in this case. If that is all that is offered then he won’t be traded. Instead the Bears will tag him if they can’t sign him to an extension before the deadline. 

I agree that would likely be the best move for the franchise in a vacuum.

I'm just not sure the Bears want to deal with an unhappy Tagged player who absolutely does NOT want to be there and will likely hold out and be a distraction all offseason, on top of all the other culture issues and drama they are facing as a losing team.

I think they'd be very motivated to get something for him and move on.

But it's also the Bears, so who knows...

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was high on Jaylon coming out... but he is balling in his contract year after being basically just above average for his first 3 seasons. I wouldn't give up a first if that is the price. 

This brings up an important point. There’s some real risk here as a trade and contract extension could be coming at a “buying high” point. This is probably why the Bears and his agent aren’t able to get a deal done. The agent wants paid on this season while the Bears are looking at the whole body of work.

My best guess is that nothing happens with him today and a deal gets done with the Bears at some point. 

Edited by BarleyNY

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

If you’re guaranteeing a SB championship with giving up a first for Jaylon Johnson then sure sounds great but we can’t push all of our chips in for a maybe imo. I’d love for our D to get a little tighter in coverage but our team will go as far as Josh takes us so unless Johnson doesn’t cost a lot I’m kicking the tires on cheaper options like Hopkins or Sutton for Josh to have now and still have our early draft capital to take a stud like Odunze for the future 

There are no guarantees and I wasn't specifically speaking about Johnson........whom I would never trade a first round pick for.    I don't value CB in the Bills system enough to use a first round pick on anybody other than a generational player at that position.

In lieu of guarantee though there is FACT........and one of those is that the Bills made the playoffs in the 2017 season and ZERO of the Bills first round picks from ALL of the drought years combined were on the field that day in Jacksonville.    

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.