Bears CB Jaylon Johnson Requests to be Traded

ExiledInIllinois

44 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There are no CBs currently on the roster with an interception, and the defense hasn't had a pick since the Miami game (four games in a row without one). My guess is that if he landed here, the lack of playmaking ability at the CB position would dictate that he plays sooner rather than later. 

You're thinking like a fan who wants to see big plays and the best players on the field, not like McDermott who routinely values system knowledge, responsibility and overall preparedness before everything else. 

I would certainly hope if we made a big time trade for a big time player that yes he would play sooner than later. All I can say is I hope we get the chance to find out!

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree that would likely be the best move for the franchise in a vacuum.

I'm just not sure the Bears want to deal with an unhappy Tagged player who absolutely does NOT want to be there and will likely hold out and be a distraction all offseason, on top of all the other culture issues and drama they are facing as a losing team.

I think they'd be very motivated to get something for him and move on.

But it's also the Bears, so who knows...

I think the only thing this is about his agent trying to get him the best contract possible. Effectively “Give us what we want or trade the player to a team that will.” Nothing more, nothing less. If the Bears move on the extension, then it gets signed and everyone loves each other again. Just negotiating tactics. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are no guarantees and I wasn't specifically speaking about Johnson........whom I would never trade a first round pick for.    I don't value CB in the Bills system enough to use a first round pick on anybody other than a generational player at that position.

In lieu of guarantee though there is FACT........and one of those is that the Bills made the playoffs in the 2017 season and ZERO of the Bills first round picks from ALL of the drought years combined were on the field that day in Jacksonville.    

Counterpoint to none of our first round picks mattering is that the 2017 roster was a bare bones disaster that was lucky to limp in.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

49ers seem to be overkill on defense.  If i'm them, i'm working the phones for offense because Purdy has shown that he needs everything around him to be elite.

I think they’re a sneaky pick to get someone like Adams 

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Counterpoint to none of our first round picks mattering is that the 2017 roster was a bare bones disaster that was lucky to limp in.

Incorrect.   Even sans Gilmore and Woods they took a veteran laden 10 win quality team into camp.   Their offense had lead the NFL in rushing AND big plays for 2 straight seasons despite Woods and Watkins missing a lot of time during those seasons.   Dennison screwed that up but the talent was proven.   Their defense had just enough pieces and playmakers to be very good until they traded Dareus and pulled the drain plug on their run D.    The notion that it was a bad roster was incorrect.   It was an OLD roster........but not bad in a relatively weak AFC.   And I called it........they Jauron-balled their way to a great start and finished strong against a weak schedule even after their trade deadline disaster deals(Dareus out, Benjamin in).    I'd sure take a Lorenzo Alexander back from that team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Getting rid of Tre at the end of 2023 carries a 26MM cap hit.  That drops to just over $10mm at the end of 2024.  Tough situation.  Second contracts becoming burdensome for high injury prone positions.

Not true. If we cut him after the league year starts in 2024 we would have a dead cap hit of $10.4m, but would save $6.3m on the cap and owe nothing beyond that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

49ers seem to be overkill on defense.  If i'm them, i'm working the phones for offense because Purdy has shown that he needs everything around him to be elite.

No, their D isn’t what it was.  Wilks has brought them down a couple notches imo.  He doesn’t seem to have a good grasp on when and how to bring 5+.  Their pass rush should be better than ever with the additions of Hargrove, Gregory and a 2nd year Drake Jackson… but they’re much worse than last year.  Losing Ryans was big

I posted this in the other trade thread and will post it again here.

I imagine Johnson and his agents think he deserves to be paid like Ramsey yet his comps are taron johnson, jordan lewis and charvarius ward.   That would be like 3 years 23.3 million or 7.7 avg.   I imagine this is the holdup with the talks with the bears.

So this creates a new wrinkle. Do you want to move extremely valuable trade capital and then pay a player a top end salary who you do not even know?  What does this do to the locker room if a guy comes in off another team and is getting this high end money? 

When you trade for offensive players like Diggs, you can immediately see the results and it is not questioned...especially when they are great like Diggs....When the player is just above average at a position off the line of scrimmage on defense you may not see the immediate results.  So if he is brought in and paid then the defense is only marginally better what happens in the locker room?

There is a lot more than just what he costs to get in the door.  it just seems like something SF will end up doing because they are always going for it and they spend money on defense. 

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

He will fetch a first plus, if traded at this point. Plus a very big contract. I don’t see the Bills doing that. 

Out of all the positions the Bills could have drafted in the first round with McD's history of getting good CB play from literally street FA's, Tre being his first pick ever and turning into an all-pro at the position and McD basically being a DB whisperer, if you would have told me they were going to take a CB in the first round and he would never see the field for them in his 2nd year, espeically when a 6th round CB in the SAME draft IS starting,   I would have told you that you were smoking something.  

Either Elam is really not very good or they have horribly mismanaged him in ways they haven't with any other DB they have ever had.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

👀

We were discussing this all yesterday in another thread. Maybe Mod's need a merge. Either way, Benjamin Albright reported yesterday that Buffalo, SF and The Cowboys are all in on Johnson. In fact, the cowboys are reported as being "heavy target".

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Cover 1 thinks that whomever signs Johnson will have to give him a long term deal in the 4 year, $70 mill range. 

That would almost certainly mean the end of Tre White here 

It probably would.  Unfortunately, that is the cold side of the business in the the NFL.  Tre was great for us.  At one point, he was arguably the best in the league.  But his body has betrayed him the last couple years and the reality is that there are very serious doubts whether he will ever be close to the player he was after these serious injuries.  As GM, Beane has an obligation to look out for both the current and long term well being of this team.  And if he can get Johnson, that would take care of both those things at one of the most important positions in football. 

And you know what?  If you release Tre with a post June 1 and save that 10 mill, this is a move that makes a lot of sense financially as well.  We could always monitor Tre's progress from injury down the road and maybe even look to bring him back on a cheaper contract if his market is soft after he's healthy.  It's not likely that happens, but who knows....anyone he signs with will have the same questions about how well he will be able to play and if his body will hold up when he does get back out on the field.

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

We were discussing this all yesterday in another thread. Maybe Mod's need a merge. Either way, Benjamin Albright reported yesterday that Buffalo, SF and The Cowboys are all in on Johnson. In fact, the cowboys are reported as being "heavy target".

I don't see it with Dallas.  They have an expensive corner in diggs and have paid lewis.  They have 3 good corners right now.  

It could possibly happen, Eberflus was in dallas for years and has a relationship with the people in the front office.  He will definitely tell them the deal on johnson.  I bet as soon as they find out what kind of money johnson wants they will be out.  They have to pay lamb, parsons and prescott again in the next two seasons.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Elam and two 3rds. With the 2024 3rd being conditional to a 2nd if we sign him to a long term deal, and the 2025 3rd conditional to a 2nd based on crazy (unlikely) stats.

Final offer

So if we don't resign him two thirds and Elam for a half season rental? Way too much imo. 

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

The bears can just keep him and get a 3rd round comp most likely next year.  If they are going to move him I imagine it has to be better than the comp pick they will get anyway.

It would be better than a comp pick. Comp picks don’t happen until after the 3rd round is complete. And there is no guarantee the Bears would receive a 3rd round comp pick to begin with.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.