The Big Lie we were fed that McDermott is a disciplined, prepared, hard worker

HomeskillitMoorman

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

Just to clarify, I don't think Josh is lazy, I think that he could be better with some of his prep. I think there is a difference even if nuanced. Jamarcus Russel and Johnny Menzel were lazy and unfocused. That is certainly not Josh Allen.

I think that's probably a fair viewpoint.  It's one thing to not put in prep time (lazy).  It's another thing to make the most focused and best use of the time one puts in.  That's the old saw "practice does not make perfect, good practice (or the right practice) makes perfect"

I believe this is the first time since the start of Josh's rookie year that he doesn't have an "older and wiser" head in the QB room with him.  Kyle Allen is his buddy.  Shane Steichen is young.  It's not entirely out of the question that the preparation may not be as focused and sharp in the QB room this season.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Are you inferring McDermott is the best Bills coach ever, and he will win us the Super Bowl? Sometimes analytics suck. I'll wait.

Right now, the best Bills coach in their history is Lou Saban. Back-to-back AFL championships. Before my time but he is the only coach to win it all for Buffalo. Of course, that could change if the Bills win the Lombardi someday.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The current board philosophy is members should start whatever threads they want within very broad guidelines, and how many people choose to respond will select which threads are worthy and stay on the front page, and which fall off

Personally, I think when the front page is littered with
"The Big Lie we were fed that McDermott is a disciplined, prepared, hard worker"

"Why is this team, and staff, so dumb?"

"Sean McDermott is a stupid coach"

"Fitzpatrick's veiled criticism of Dorsey?"

"The Official Fire Ken Dorsey Thread"

etc

it might be time for a bit of pruning because I think when there's too much idiocracy, it drives a number of contributing, smart posters to step out. 

But that's just my opinion, and it's not the current SOP.

I took a break from reading this board during the past 3 weeks. So glad i did. It was time well spent!

• Like (+1) 1

The one thing I can think most of us agree on is McDermott looks stressed on the sidelines.  His eyes have been red the last few games and I'm pretty certain this guy doesn't smoke weed.  

I think he's doing a lot of second guessing right now...as is Dorsey.

But, I think yesterday was at least a good first step because the offense looked like it should and that is the most important.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

In his defense,  he has an incredible winning percentage after taking over a bottom 5 10 team. 

His D gave up 10 points through 56 mins before a stupid penalty , ridiculous catch gave them a chance last night

it's not easy to win in this league and McD wins way more than he loses. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The one thing I can think most of us agree on is McDermott looks stressed on the sidelines.  His eyes have been red the last few games and I'm pretty certain this guy doesn't smoke weed.  

I think he's doing a lot of second guessing right now...as is Dorsey.

But, I think yesterday was at least a good first step because the offense looked like it should and that is the most important.

I've never been impressed w his sideline demeanor tbh. Panicky is the term I use to describe it.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

In his defense,  he has an incredible winning percentage after taking over a bottom 5 10 team. 

His D gave up 10 points through 56 mins before a stupid penalty , ridiculous catch gave them a chance last night

it's not easy to win in this league 

I really don’t get this place a lot of the time…like all week we heard from people on here that the bucs are actually pretty good and we’re in trouble.  we win and control the game but things are just as bad as before because a bunch of bounces went their way?  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

He is an excellent regular season coach. He did change the culture of the franchise to a winning one. It's the playoff failures that are frustrating and disappointing.

15 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

The Sheldon Family Cemetery is located between gates 6 and 7 at Highmark Stadium and there is a sign that explains the cemetery. There was a clip about it before the game on channel 7. They were the first family to settle in Orchard Park way back when.

I had always heard the mention of the ancient burial ground but never knew how legitimate it was or if it was just an old wise tale but I did the Bills stadium tour over the Summer and the last thing they showed us was the cemetery with the quick backstory so it was def interesting to see it in person and know that it's true. 

8 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He's a top 10 coach, full stop, maybe at the tail end of top 5. 

Has it likely been easier for him because of Allen? Yes, absolutely. 

Is he the guy who can win it all? I don't see why not.  Maybe it's more likely for an offensive mind, but lots of great offensive coaches haven't won a superbowl.  

It can be a lot worse.  Hopefully he grows as a coach and improves.  There's lot of things that can be done better, but that's true of virtually every coach in the NFL. 

Absolutely insane take. Best case scenario he's near the bottom of the top 15. there are 10 coaches I would take over him without hesitation and a good handful more that have a clear edge.

When I look at coaches that are definitively worse than McD, it's a very short short list. There are a lot of first year head coaches that will probably end up better too.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I really don’t get this place a lot of the time…like all week we heard from people on here that the bucs are actually pretty good and we’re in trouble.  But we win and control the game but things are just as bad before because a bunch of bounces went their way?  

I hate reading this board right now, the takes are just totally out of wack.  The game was close because the last drive had incredibly unfortunately penalties in situations where (the facemask penalty) the play should have been blown dead, or, on the same drive, the TD AND the 2 pt conversion were deflected off of defenders into the arms of a receiver.  That isn't going to happen again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I thought the taron johnson illegal contact penalty that extended the drive prior to the phillips one was a really bad call.  4th and 10, no bearing on the play, TJ didn't push him off his spot and evans if anything was running into him.  

End of the game stuff is a little suspect to me. Still playing entirely too soft and giving teams a chance a couple times a year with that Hail Mary. 

Just entirely too easy without using any time. 

Id also like to see us continue to be aggressive late in games. The defense was playing well so if you’re punting because you trust your defense then by the same principle you go for it because you trust your defense. 

Yepp, 66-38 and 4 play off appearances in 5 years is a HUGE lie.

Do some of you people even think before you post? Can he get better? Yes, so can all coaches but you're insane if you think we were "fed a lie"

How did you feel about the "lies" for the 20 years before him? Get a grip 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I believe him to be a very hard worker.  The character flaw I see is that he's too loyal to "his guys" and gives them too long of a leash to figure things out.  

That said - if any one of about a dozen coinflip events yesterday didn't bounce TB's way, this game was a blowout.  For the first time in a month, they looked prepared and had an attacking game plan.  Now if they can just keep on the throttle for 4 quarters, we'd have a better record and this board would be a lot more tolerable.

Just now, warrior9 said:

Yepp, 66-38 and 4 play off appearances in 5 years is a HUGE lie.

Do some of you people even think before you post? Can he get better? Yes, so can all coaches but you're insane if you think we were "fed a lie"

How did you feel about the "lies" for the 20 years before him? Get a grip 

You can’t get much more of a lie than wrecks

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Absolutely insane take. Best case scenario he's near the bottom of the top 15. there are 10 coaches I would take over him without hesitation and a good handful more that have a clear edge.

When I look at coaches that are definitively worse than McD, it's a very short short list. There are a lot of first year head coaches that will probably end up better too.

I get that we're all on edge about this season, but I don't know how you can believe what you just wrote.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Lets Run down the list then...

Yes - Reid, McVay, Belichick, Shanahan, Pederson; Harbaugh, I'm iffy on McDaniel but I'll put him here

Maybe - Vrabel, Carroll, Tomlin, Saleh, O'Connell, LaFleur, Campbell, Stefanski, Taylor

No - Reich, Eberflus, Gannon, McDaniels, McCarthy, Payton, Ryans, Steichen, Rivera, Bowles, Daboll, Allen, Staley, Smith

Well his use of time outs and in game management is not good and his inability to get away certain tactics costs us games  He has a relatively healthy offense yet makes them go conservative putting more pressure onto his defense which is missing a ton of key pieces  I question how he handles personnel as well  Always be in the back of my mind thanks to Natham Peterman  He lacks the ability to grow and adapt  McDermott is the same  guy coaching this team like they were the 2017 team he inherited

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yes - Reid, McVay, Belichick, Shanahan, Pederson; Harbaugh, I'm iffy on McDaniel but I'll put him here

Maybe - Vrabel, Carroll, Tomlin, Saleh, O'Connell, LaFleur, Campbell, Stefanski, Taylor

No - Reich, Eberflus, Gannon, McDaniels, McCarthy, Payton, Ryans, Steichen, Rivera, Bowles, Daboll, Allen, Staley, Smith

Explain how McCarthy is so clearly inferior to McDermott 

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Under a microscope though supposedly great/good coaches frequently make terrible decisions also to be fair.  We’re just not putting other teams coaches under the same level of criticism understandably 

andy Reid made some absolutely disastrous decisions in that week 1 game 

There’s also a lot of terrible coaches in this league and many that are overrated in the same way you are criticizing McDermott so your numbers are way off regardless 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I would put Tomlin in the yes category. He has been winning a lot longer than McDermott and has a Lombardi to show for it. Saleh belongs in the no category. He hasn't had one winning season yet.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's amazing that at a time when we have the winningest team in franchise history that we still have endless complainers who would find something to complain about no matter what would happen.

Honestly, get a life dude. Go find a hobby.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

McDaniel is a hard yes as is Saleh, I'd also take everyone in your maybe category except Carroll and O'Connell and I'd strongly consider Ryans, though he is a rookie. for me that puts McD as my 15th choice, best case.

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What if it's McDermott tho

The players like Allen and Diggs know their legacies are tied to the length of their playing careers, they have incentive to do what it takes to win now...where is that incentive from the HC? He has the job security to put it on cruise control in the off-season, focus on his defensive pet project, and win a few playoff games while he's got a top QB. 

From a general NFL franchise perspective I am fine with moving on from McD. I think he is a good HC, but may have run his course in Buffalo. These things happen when teams are legitimately close to winning championships. The team has topped out under Sean. I don't think they are doomed under him this season and this team can still get it done if they get hot, but I am OK with upgrading. 

My biggest pause in replacing any combination of McBeane is Terry Pegula. He has proven to be a historically bad owner in the NHL. It scares me that his 12 year NHL playoff draught could easily convert to a 25 year NFL playoff draught. 

I have a lot of criticism for our roster development, draft, and player utilization. Our constant redrafting of positions drives me crazy and is a huge part of why we struggle in a bunch of areas on the field.  I think this team is in trouble next year with our cap, rookie production, and upcoming UFA's. 

In season I am a bit harder on Allen because he is the only player who is in charge of distributing the ball to everybody else. Allen improving his game is the quickest and surest way for this team to get better immediately in season. We aren't moving on from Beane, McDermott, or Dorsey tomorrow, and even if we did it wouldn't make the team better. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

It's amazing that at a time when we have the winningest team in franchise history that we still have endless complainers who would find something to complain about no matter what would happen.

Honestly, get a life dude. Go find a hobby.

When the bar is so low that the winningest team has never ever made a championship experience, the team is the problem, not the fans.

18 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I have had people work for me who worked very hard at what they do, no discipline problems, prepared, but when it is time to execute they struggle. It's extremely frustrating but in the end you would hope that experience breeds familiarity and improvement. McDermott seems like he is not getting better...

I haven't seen that when it comes to the same issues over and over through a long period of time.

I don't see this as the same as physical performance where maybe a guy gets bad anxiety in the biggest moments and can't replicate what he can normally do well in that moment. You can literally map out your plans for those scenarios and especially if you are aware that you are struggling when it comes time to execute. 

I'm not a huge pure analytics guy because obviously this is a human game and I do think it discounts that to an extent..but I do like the of its philosophy on some of the aspects of game/time management, that it cuts the emotion out and maps out the best possible call when you methodically prepare for it before you set foot on the field when you are clear-headed and have looked at all the facts. But again all of this takes preparation and hard work. 

Think about his whole body of work, from the early years when he literally didn't know we needed a win over a tie in the Snow Game vs Indy, to the ways he's coached and all of his mistakes in all of our playoff losses - some of them recurring - it all points to a guy that just isn't prepared. He's not taking the time and putting in the work to learn from those mistakes that he's made. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

I hate reading this board right now, the takes are just totally out of wack.  The game was close because the last drive had incredibly unfortunately penalties in situations where (the facemask penalty) the play should have been blown dead, or, on the same drive, the TD AND the 2 pt conversion were deflected off of defenders into the arms of a receiver.  That isn't going to happen again.

You’ve watched a Jets team with Zach Wilson beat the 100% healthy Bills by chipping away all game.

You’ve watched the 1-5 Giants come within 1-yard from winning.

You saw a 1-5 Patriots team drive the length of the field in 1:20 for the GW drive.

You see a 3-3 Bucs team have a Hail Mary land inside the end zone with a chance to walk off on the last play of the game.

And the conclusion is that will never happen again?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

5 times he's been eliminated in the playoffs. 5 times Allen's years have been wasted 

I wouldn't say we've wasted 5 years. He's gained a lot of experience over that time.

If you really thought the Bills were Superbowl contenders for his first 3 yrs, that was a big mistake! 

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I would put Tomlin in the yes category. He has been winning a lot longer than McDermott and has a Lombardi to show for it. Saleh belongs in the no category. He hasn't had one winning season yet.

My only issue with Tomlin is like... why is the offense SO bad for SO long?  5 straight years of bad offense now.  

And it is certainly not an asterisk... but his one SB win was the year brady blew out his knee and they got to avoid manning because of the chargers.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.