The Big Lie we were fed that McDermott is a disciplined, prepared, hard worker

HomeskillitMoorman

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

When does the "he'll learn from this" excuse for the same mistakes over and over and over expire? In year 10? Year 20? 

That's easy.  It's once we're looking for our next QB after Allen.  

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's amazing that at a time when we have the winningest team in franchise history that we still have endless complainers who would find something to complain about no matter what would happen.

Honestly, get a life dude. Go find a hobby.

Look, it's fine you are defending McDermott's tenure so far. It's not so much as "complaining" as it is a "concern". I for one thoroughly enjoy the Bills games the last few years, because good competitive games are great to watch. Actually I've been watching since the 60s. But...the bar has been set higher now with Allen at the helm, and the Lombardi is within reach. We need more from McDermott. More aggressive no fear coaching, not deer in the headlights coaching decisions late in games. We need better. My "hobby" is a Bills superbowl my friend. Not sure Sean can feed my hobby.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, warrior9 said:

Funny how they forget, huh? 

I get wanting better but McDermott's COACHING isn't the problem. Like some have alluded too, he gives his coaching staff too long of leashes. Dorsey's leash should be 3 inches long at this point. It is absolutely excusable to have shotgun on 3rd and 4th and 1 for 2 straight weeks, multiple times and not use your 6'5 240lb qb for a sneak .... He has a very limited capacity in run design creativity, as well. 

Agreed except for the sneak part if Allen's shoulder really is a concern.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s no way mcdermott is ahead of anybody who’s won a super bowl.  He’s in the Ron Rivera boat but Rivera probably higher because he’s been to a super bowl.  

I think it’s a little bit more complicated than that lol. If Ron Rivera is such a good, Super Bowl caliber coach he’d be turning that commanders team around.  Some head coaches absolutely get carried to a Super Bowl and it’s been much more likely in the NFC than the AFC lately 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, boyst said:

inheriting a very talented defense and getting josh allen on your team can mask a lot of issues.

You have to be joking, right? 

Zoe had his best years under McDermott, Poyer was a no body on the Browns, Adolphis Washington, Ramon Humber, Preston Brown, EJ Gaines.... Jerry Hughes had his best years under McDermott..

a "Very talented defense" is absolutely laughable.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not to put words in anyone’s mouth but that did not appear to be the posters point at all.  The ‘comeback’ last night was fueled by objectively flukey plays which is what they were referencing.  The ball is not going to bounce only the opponents way at every possible opportunity seemed to be what the gist was, and despite that happening the closest they came was a very very low percentage desperation play which is how a lot of games end that one team is controlling. 

the giants and pats games were absolutely terrible, but last night was clearly a better effort without question. 

Thank you, that's exactly what I was talking about.  I never mentioned the other games.  Each one is a different conversation.  But as far as last night, yes, the reason was the crazy amount of unlucky or 50/50 plays where the Bucs got the bounce or benefit of the doubt, etc.  That statistical wise the odds of all of that happening again are very very low.

I think it’s a little bit more complicated than that lol. If Ron Rivera is such a good, Super Bowl caliber coach he’d be turning that commanders team around.  Some head coaches absolutely get carried to a Super Bowl and it’s been much more likely in the NFC than the AFC lately 

He IS saddled with one of the worst QB rooms in the league. 

31 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He is an excellent regular season coach. He did change the culture of the franchise to a winning one. It's the playoff failures that are frustrating and disappointing.

I get it. 13 seconds is inexcusable and potentially cost us a SB but he gives a chance year after year. 4 straight appearances, 3 straight years advancing. That's not easy to do

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

You have to be joking, right? 

Zoe had his best years under McDermott, Poyer was a no body on the Browns, Adolphis Washington, Ramon Humber, Preston Brown, EJ Gaines.... Jerry Hughes had his best years under McDermott..

a "Very talented defense" is absolutely laughable.

There’s just so much hyperbole at work on these boards haha like you can be critical of McDermott and still admit he has done a good job developing defensive players.  

the guy has gotten a ton out of pretty low ceiling talent type guys. Doesn’t mean he’s a genius that’s beyond criticism though by any means 

The upsetting thing for me is that the better play and effort by the team overall last night is lost because of bad luck.  If you break down the game, the Bills controlled it for most of it.  They were clearly the better team on the field.  Unfortunately, sometimes bad bounces happen, which is why there is no much variance in the NFL.  It happens, but odds of all those things happening again like last night is very low.

28 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I thought the taron johnson illegal contact penalty that extended the drive prior to the phillips one was a really bad call.  4th and 10, no bearing on the play, TJ didn't push him off his spot and evans if anything was running into him.  

ya. felt like the tefs did their best to extend the game 

But at no point did I feel like we'd lose during the game. 

There’s just so much hyperbole at work on these boards haha like you can be critical of McDermott and still admit he has done a good job developing defensive players.  

the guy has gotten a ton out of pretty low ceiling talent type guys. Doesn’t mean he’s a genius that’s beyond criticism though by any means 

Oh I don't disagree... But saying those players i named and saying "inheriting a very talented defense" is absolutely hilarious. 

He can be criticized 100% and he should be. I don't think it's his coaching, i think its his staff management, for the most part. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not to put words in anyone’s mouth but that did not appear to be the posters point at all.  The ‘comeback’ last night was fueled by objectively flukey plays which is what they were referencing.  The ball is not going to bounce only the opponents way at every possible opportunity seemed to be what the gist was, and despite that happening the closest they came was a very very low percentage desperation play which is how a lot of games end that one team is controlling. 

the giants and pats games were absolutely terrible, but last night was clearly a better effort without question. 

And I’m saying this is par for the course with the Bills. 

Whatever form the luck comes in, we find ourselves in these nail bitters all the time.

And what was so outlandish about it?

We couldn’t close out the Vikings last year with the 4th-22 to Jefferson or the fumble on the QB snap for a TD, or Allen slipping and falling on a QB sneak, the Hail Murray, or pass interference penalties in the end zone, or not being able to get off the field on 3rd and mile, we’ve seen this all before.

The sideline routes as mentioned.

The Bills have left the door open in many ways over the past few seasons and have put themselves into position to lose. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Uh no.  Unprepared coaches don't have the highest winning percentage in the NFL since 2020.  Way too long of a sample size to not get exposed.  Honestly, just a silly(idiotic maybe even?) take.

I don't love all the OP's points but this is terrible argument. He does in fact seem to keep making the same mistakes. I'm not hung up on team discipline but he doesn't seem to know how to close out tough games. Defensive TO's, 4th down management, TO management in general. I think he is a terrific head man during the week. He prepares his team well. His defense has been great for the most part. 

He is a horrible game day coach. He makes the easy things hard. 

Yes he has all the things listed above but if he was better at this stuff wouldn't it be even higher? We have never been the one seed. Great we won 12 games but needed to win 13. Usually those losses can be pinned back to an issue that was in the coaches control.  I fear we will never get there under him. It's tragic because we are so close, but he is consistently the weak link. 

• Like (+1) 1

I often disagree with McDermott's in-game decision making.  I don't think it's due to a lack of effort, hard work, or dedication.  I don't know him personally and have never worked with him, so I can't say why he makes some the decisions that he makes.  Maybe he doesn't process information quickly in stressful situations.  Maybe he just sees the risks/rewards differently than I do.  I have no idea.  I wish he were better at it.  That said, I'm comfortable with him as the Bills head coach.  He's had a very good track record and the good far outweighs the bad.  It's easy for fans on a message board to second guess after the fact.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Look, it's fine you are defending McDermott's tenure so far. It's not so much as "complaining" as it is a "concern". I for one thoroughly enjoy the Bills games the last few years, because good competitive games are great to watch. Actually I've been watching since the 60s. But...the bar has been set higher now with Allen at the helm, and the Lombardi is within reach. We need more from McDermott. More aggressive no fear coaching, not deer in the headlights coaching decisions late in games. We need better. My "hobby" is a Bills superbowl my friend. Not sure Sean can feed my hobby.

No coach is ready to win a superbowl until they actually do it.  

The disconnect between some fans here and the reality of the team is nuts, people saying that McD is worse than some rookie HCs. I don't think McD is perfect, far from it, but there's no reason why he can't win a superbowl. 

If we had the entire starting defense and were 5-3 I could understand the teeth gnashing, but the circumstances are what they are.  

They absolutely should be more aggressive and shift to an "offense first" mindset. That's where the future of this season lives or dies by, and they're starting to do it right. This week was a big leap in the right direction.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.