Linebackers needed

Clearly, with the middle of the defense being decimated, it seems like a priority to get some linebacker talent in here asap, to keep the defense together otherwise this is becoming a monumental problem.

when your 200 lb vet safety is playing linebacker in a reg season game, there are personnel issues that aren’t getting solved by the current roster. 

so to all the maine sux, easily replaced… here we are. Now what?

We need a linebacker or two. Any thoughts or ideas? 

obvi Kirksey hanging it up stinks, he’d help. 

• Disagree 1

Who

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

They had a plan to replace Edmunds and it seemed to be working …It’s now Milano they are struggling to replace …

Add him to the list …

It did till it didn’t. I had a sneaking suspicion Belichick would expose this safety sized  linebacker thing. I heard a talking head suggest a huge number of pats completions attacked the LBs and nickel with wild success 

Oh and Dorian was benched 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Who

It did till it didn’t. I had a sneaking suspicion Belichick would expose this safety sized  linebacker thing. I heard a talking head suggest a huge number of pats completions attacked the LBs and nickel with wild success 

None of that changes what I said ..

46 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Clearly, with the middle of the defense being decimated, it seems like a priority to get some linebacker talent in here asap, to keep the defense together otherwise this is becoming a monumental problem.

when your 200 lb vet safety is playing linebacker in a reg season game, there are personnel issues that aren’t getting solved by the current roster. 

Maine and Kirksey are MLB's. Bernard isn't the problem back there. It's Dorian Williams and Tyrel Dodson at OLB that's the real problem. Neither Maine nor Kirksey are fixing that.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Good luck finding any linebacker who can hold up when guards are getting to him untouched consistently. The defensive tackle play Sunday was as bad as you will see anywhere.

Yes if they can find suitable 1T come the trade deadline they should jump on it. Our LBs will be better as a result. I am less worried about the linebacking group which I think you can get by with. DT and CB on defense and WR on offense are the positions I would be focusing on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Good luck finding any linebacker who can hold up when guards are getting to him untouched consistently. The defensive tackle play Sunday was as bad as you will see anywhere.

Down to back ups there too. It was stated somewhere Tampa has an excellent o line, so more to come? 

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Disagree, Bernard has been great and Williams has shown promise, Settle, Phillips, and Ford just cannot get it done in the middle at 1T (other than just spelling someone) which is causing major issues. 

I don't like the benching of Williams. Let him play through the mistakes because his talent and ability to make splash plays far out weights whatever Dodson brings to the table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I don't like the benching of Williams. Let him play through the mistakes because his talent and ability to make splash plays far out weights whatever Dodson brings to the table.

It sucks, but it makes sense. The healthy DTs in that game struggled badly, letting OL get to the LBers to neutralize them. Dodson is better at disengaging and is further along in the mental game. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Have those guys been bad all year?  They're a part of the rotation and don't remember them being this bad when Oliver and Jones were healthy.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Down to back ups there too. It was stated somewhere Tampa has an excellent o line, so more to come? 

I expect so. The DT position is a much bigger concern to me. Hopefully we get Ed back Thursday. I can see them going to their 2020 no Star plan though where Ed ends up sacrificing himself and playing 1T on early downs to try and slow the run game because the other options suck so bad. 

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Have those guys been bad all year?  They're a part of the rotation and don't remember them being this bad when Oliver and Jones were healthy.

Settle and Ford yes. I think Jordan is okay as a rotational 3T when Ed is playing 70% of the snaps and he only has to play 30 as was the case week 1 and week 4 and until the Raiders and Commanders games were safe. But he is overpaid for that purpose. 

There was one drive against the Commanders where they moved the ball on us into the high redzone against Settle and Phillips. The first play the Bills put Ed and Jones back in Howell felt pressure and threw a pick. The dropoff has been noticeable all year. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I expect so. The DT position is a much bigger concern to me. Hopefully we get Ed back Thursday. I can see them going to their 2020 no Star plan though where Ed ends up sacrificing himself and playing 1T on early downs to try and slow the run game because the other options suck so bad. 

Settle and Ford yes. I think Jordan is okay as a rotational 3T when Ed is playing 70% of the snaps and he only has to play 30 as was the case week 1 and week 4 and until the Raiders and Commanders games were safe. But he is overpaid for that purpose. 

There was one drive against the Commanders where they moved the ball on us into the high redzone against Settle and Phillips. The first play the Bills put Ed and Jones back in Howell felt pressure and threw a pick. The dropoff has been noticeable all year. 

So we should expect at least 2 more DT's signed in the offseason....and maybe an early draft pick next spring.

Get ready for every Bills opponent to follow Belichick's lead, and attack the deficiency in the middle of the Bils D.  

It's arguable about which defensive player's injury has hurt the worst, but I keep coming back to Milano.  I hope that guy gets back to playing the way he was early this year.

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Being of the Beane era i wonder if they have reached out to Kirksey at all just to plead their case in needing him at this point and time i'd say given the time he had in OTA's & all before he left he may be a welcome sight on the field but if his heart isn't in it they may be better off with out him if he's just taking up a roster spot .

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So we should expect at least 2 more DT's signed in the offseason....and maybe an early draft pick next spring.

1T players usually don't go super high in the draft.  There are notable exceptions (Poe, Vea, Ngata), but usually a 1T going in the first is because he's got some elite quickness, hands, or pass rushing ability.   

Looking at our team needs, depth etc.  WR is up there, but doesn't necessarily require a 1st round pick.  

WR - Davis will get paid, and i don't see us being the payer

RT - Room for improvement here and it has definitely been the weakest position on offense this season

DT - No depth under contract behind oliver in our rotation

NT - DQ is a free agent - love to bring him back.  Need to get younger here

DE - Will be down to Groot and Von.  I think Von will be able to sway a free agent to sign here though

S - Free agent Hyde, and Poyer is on an expiring deal.  Poyer can free up cash if released, but my assumption is we guarantee the deal and push the hit so we have some level of continuity back there. 

Tre is back - as are all the other corners but Dane.  With a surplus of picks (1,2,3,3,4,5,6,6,6,7) i expect we'll take at least 1 CB.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

93 was being pancaked on many plays.

37 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Yeah, offense will need to step it up as Tampa will be scoring some points tomorrow night.

Taking the over for sure 

29 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Klien needs to be on the field as a run stopper.  The RBs and OL are getting onto our smaller LBs way too easily.  

this might be the right band aid, even though we know he’s getting torched in passing game 

1 hour ago, T master said:

Being of the Beane era i wonder if they have reached out to Kirksey at all just to plead their case in needing him at this point and time i'd say given the time he had in OTA's & all before he left he may be a welcome sight on the field but if his heart isn't in it they may be better off with out him if he's just taking up a roster spot .

It's worth a try....

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

1T players usually don't go super high in the draft.  There are notable exceptions (Poe, Vea, Ngata), but usually a 1T going in the first is because he's got some elite quickness, hands, or pass rushing ability.   

Looking at our team needs, depth etc.  WR is up there, but doesn't necessarily require a 1st round pick.  

WR - Davis will get paid, and i don't see us being the payer

RT - Room for improvement here and it has definitely been the weakest position on offense this season

DT - No depth under contract behind oliver in our rotation

NT - DQ is a free agent - love to bring him back.  Need to get younger here

DE - Will be down to Groot and Von.  I think Von will be able to sway a free agent to sign here though

S - Free agent Hyde, and Poyer is on an expiring deal.  Poyer can free up cash if released, but my assumption is we guarantee the deal and push the hit so we have some level of continuity back there. 

Tre is back - as are all the other corners but Dane.  With a surplus of picks (1,2,3,3,4,5,6,6,6,7) i expect we'll take at least 1 CB.  

Let someone else pay Gabe

Morse is older than the top 10 centers not named Kelce.

Not sure what Bates' contract status is, think we need to use him or sayonara

Agree on DT, and Ed O. is a smallish interior DL, already beat up after 6 games

Have we given up on AJE at DE?

Again Hyde and Poyer are the 5th and 6th oldest safeties in the league and are no longer top of the class

Def need one or two better LB's; shudder if we have to play Klein for more than a snap or two.

State of O-line play coming out of college is abysmal, and the Teller fiasco says front office doesn't have a clue what good is.

Glad we have so much draft capital, hope Beane and Co use it wisely.

53 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

93 was being pancaked on many plays.

Yea in fairness to #93 he is a practice squad player. When you are down to those guys it normally shows up. The fact he has played major snaps in our last two defeata should not be ignored. 

But I expect better of Phillips, Ford and Settle. Those guys have all been starters in this league and are paid like high quality vet depth at least. When you are down to PS guys next to you and inexperienced 1st and 2nd year guys behind you then the vet guys who have been paid to show up have to put on their big boy pants and show up. And they didn't. They were pathetic.

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Who

It’s the inside D tackles and losing an all pro linebacker. That is the problem.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Very true Gunner.  Phillips, Settle, Ford and Vickers were trash.  That's on Beane for filling the roster with crap.  Have we even drafted a DT since Ed Oliver?  

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Klien needs to be on the field as a run stopper.  The RBs and OL are getting onto our smaller LBs way too easily.  

Klein is better then Dodson.  He is not great in pass coverage.  But he still moves better then Dodson who has as much lateral movement as a kiosk, is tough, can pass rush and lay the wood.  I thought our D looked soft against the Pats.  Milano brought the attitude and toughness for the defense, and he did it well.  Poyer and Hyde try.  But when the attitude is generated by your aging safeties in today's game, we have a problem.  This is not the era of Ronnie Lott and Brian Dawkins laying people out.  Klein can certainly help.

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s the inside D tackles and losing an all pro linebacker. That is the problem.

Obviously… and lack of a legit replacement for Edmunds size speed and durability.

I had a feeling the Milano injury was coming, this will be his third season missing major time in the past 7. 

Bernard & Milano plus very good tackle play seemed to start working, but I’m not sure they encountered excellent o line play to test it. 

And now, Bernard with anyone on the active roster now and poor tackle play is irrecoverable. Maybe Klein can help somehow, not sure. Dodson is a disappointment. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.