Simms: Gabe Davis is a good player, but he's not a number two

SydneyBillsFan

It feels like with Gabe that if you take away the big plays, there's not enough of the steady chain-moving 6 to 10-yard (air yards) plays that we need.

From my number 2, I'll take consistently moving the chains over one or two big plays a game but not much else. I think Davis has a very limited route tree and it's hurting our consistency.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I still don’t get ‘too reliant on diggs’ … he’s not forcing it into triple coverage all game to get him the ball…diggs is our best pass catcher and he’s pretty much always got a step on his defender and when a play breaks down he always helps out his qb..  our best receiver having what’s likely to be a career year that has been pretty much impossible to stop should be a positive.. 

gabe is certainly frustrating though lol 

You'd have to ask Simms exactly what he means by that "too reliant on Diggs" thing.

Right now, Tyreek Hill has 59 targets and 814 yds for the Fins.  Waddle is trailing him with 35 targets and 296 yds.  Does that mean the Fins are "too reliant on Hill"?  I think it means Hill is their best receiver and is very difficult to shut down in the way they're using him.

While I stand by it that "#2 WR" has become the new "Franchise QB" around here, I do understand Simm's point.  Gabe racks up yards because he's used deep on lower percentage throws.  He doesn't seem to have the route-running chops and full route tree of a receiver like Waddle, who has been a #1 receiver in his time and who can happily take over the game and put up yards, if a team sets out to throttle down Hill.  I don't think any of us see Gabe as able to do that. ***

16 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

It feels like with Gabe that if you take away the big plays, there's not enough of the steady chain-moving 6 to 10-yard (air yards) plays that we need.

From my number 2, I'll take consistently moving the chains over one or two big plays a game but not much else. I think Davis has a very limited route tree and it's hurting our consistency.

I think that last is correct, as is the "consistently" part.

Different teams fill needs in different ways, but again, it's a fact that the consistent chain mover as well as the #2 guy for targets and yards was Beasley, from 2019-2021.

***Edit: Davis has certainly taken over a handful of games - notably 1 playoff game per season (2020 Colts, 2021 KC, 2022 MIA).  He's also had a couple of 100 yd games, most recently 8 targets, 6 receptions against Jacksonville; 6 receptions for 93 yds against Minnesota in 2020; couple of 5 reception games against Tampa and Carolina in 2021.  Just to give the man his propers.  But those are like 4 games in 3 years.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I was one of the koolaid drinkers here when it came to Gabe Davis. I really thought that he would finally hit his peak in a contract year. I think at this point he is what he is and is not going to get any better. You could certainly do lot worse though. He’s a mid-tier #2 with slightly inflated stats because of who is QB is. If you put Davis on a team like the Cardinals I don’t think half the fans would even know who he was. If he doesn’t accept a fair contract then I would rather roll with a rookie. Buffalo absolutely needs to go WR in round 1. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It should be way too early to say Kincaid isn't that guy even for the most negative posters.  They definitely should've upgraded at WR2 though which is why most of us were clamoring for Hopkins.

What makes you think he can be the guy? Six games in and he's an afterthought. He's obviously not in the game plan. Sure it's possible but it really seems unlikely he becomes the WR2 on the team. 

To say he's been a disappointment is an understatement. The high expectations six games in have been shattered. However, it mostly because the Bills coaching don't know what the F they are doing. In fairness, Kincaid has played well in his limited dink and dunk role. Why you move up in the draft to play him like that is mind boggling. Total incompetence. This organization can F up a wet dream. Will 13 seconds be the norm? 

Signed one frustrated Bills fan. 

27 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What makes you think he can be the guy? Six games in and he's an afterthought. He's obviously not in the game plan. Sure it's possible but it really seems unlikely he becomes the WR2 on the team. 

To say he's been a disappointment is an understatement. The high expectations six games in have been shattered. However, it mostly because the Bills coaching don't know what the F they are doing. In fairness, Kincaid has played well in his limited dink and dunk role. Why you move up in the draft to play him like that is mind boggling. Total incompetence. This organization can F up a wet dream. Will 13 seconds be the norm? 

His overall skill set coming out of college.  His production in college.  Calm down Veruca Salt.  Rookie TE's take longer to reach their potential and that includes even the most polished TE's coming out of college.  You usually don't even see rookie first round WR's who are successful take off until the second half of their rookie year.  Getting acclimated to the speed of the game and developing rapport with your QB takes time.  I guess my expectations of him so far have equaled the reality.  It's why I was clamoring for at least a temporary upgrade (Hopkins) at WR2 his rookie year.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

What does "not a number 2" even mean anymore?

Do you really mean he's not a number 1 playing the number 2 role like Jalen Waddle, Tee Higgins, Tyler Lockett or Devonta Smith?

What kind of production do you want out of your WR2? The vast majority of NFL teams would be thrilled to have a WR2 that puts up 800+ yards, 7 TD's & extends the field like Gabe does.

Even right now, he's ranked #27 in receiving yards (automatically putting him ahead of multiple #1's), tied for 4th place in TD's with 5 others (ahead of others like Jamar Chase, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Travis Kelce, Mike Evans, and many other WR1's, TE's, and RB's), and is only 61st in receptions. 

I'd say he's more than adequate as a WR2, with the only issue being he's not as big a threat in the short-intermediate game as we'd like.

I agree with everything here except for your last line. I don't think Gabe is "more than adequate" as a #2. I think he is a bottom end #2. He is a low volume high output guy, not someone you can really pivot to is a team is doing a good job taking your #1 away. 

But he is going to get paid as a #2. I expect $13m or thereabouts. Not from the Bills though. 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

His overall skill set coming out of college.  His production in college.  Calm down Veruca Salt.  Rookie TE's take longer to reach their potential and that includes even the most polished TE's coming out of college.  You usually don't even see rookie first round WR's who are successful take off until the second half of their rookie year.  Getting acclimated to the speed of the game and developing rapport with your QB takes time.  I guess my expectations of him so far have equaled the reality.  It's why I was clamoring for at least a temporary upgrade (Hopkins) at WR2 his rookie year.

I'm calm. The general theme for months on this board was how Kincaid was going to be a huge asset, spread out the defense, catch passes in the seam, be a weapon, take over the WR2, and basically be a slit player. 

The general theme of what you are saying was not the consensus here. The tune has changed. The goalposts have moved for the worst. 

Heck, Beane even talked about his skillet. The Bills 12 personnel sets aren't scaring any defenses. I envisioned a completely different version on what's happening. I was hoping for a Patriot like offense

(Gronk and Hernandez). Instead, we see Knox blocking and of going off for 5 yard catches. Same for Kincaid. It's a joke man.

Dorsey doesn't know what he's doing. McD is head deep in the defense. He offers zero to the offensive side of the ball.

This team has no offensive identity. The offensive is very good because of Allen and Diggs. That's it in a nutshell. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with everything here except for your last line. I don't think Gabe is "more than adequate" as a #2. I think he is a bottom end #2. He is a low volume high output guy, not someone you can really pivot to is a team is doing a good job taking your #1 away. 

But he is going to get paid as a #2. I expect $13m or thereabouts. Not from the Bills though. 

Too many bad things happen when the ball comes his way.  Drops, fumbles, trips-and-falls, surprisingly uncontested interceptions.  He is a black hole who sucks points out of the offense.  His teammates and coaches love him but Beane had better be sober in his evaluation of that position.  It’s a huge need.  Lost in this daily insufferable “Is Davis a Number 2?” debate is the reality that if Diggs were to miss any time, the offense would fall off a cliff because Davis would be completely unable to step up and fill the void - one of the underrated aspects of being a true “number 2” receiver.

But these daily Davis threads make me want to go take a number two.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

The problem isn't that Gabe isn't a #2 WR.  The problem is that there is no one catching passes outside of him and Diggs.  If we had a slot WR or TE who caught lots of underneath stuff and ran the seam once in a while (like Beasley used to) then we wouldn't be so focused on Davis catching 90 passes being more like Diggs.  We need a chain mover and Davis isn't a chain mover therefore it must be Davis's fault, except it isn't.

Edited by juno999

51 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Too many bad things happen when the ball comes his way.  Drops, fumbles, trips-and-falls, surprisingly uncontested interceptions.  He is a black hole who sucks points out of the offense.  His teammates and coaches love him but Beane had better be sober in his evaluation of that position.  It’s a huge need.  Lost in this daily insufferable “Is Davis a Number 2?” debate is the reality that if Diggs were to miss any time, the offense would fall off a cliff because Davis would be completely unable to step up and fill the void - one of the underrated aspects of being a true “number 2” receiver.

But these daily Davis threads make me want to go take a number two.

It's still early in the season, but I'd put WR at the top of draft needs.  I think Davis is Edmunds part deux.

8 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Just because he’s putting up some numbers because we have Josh Allen and a productive offense at times doesn’t mean he’s the 27th best wr. I wouldn’t put him in the top 50 that’s for sure.

Putting him in the top 27 would make him a #1.  To not be a number 2 he'd have to fall out of the top 60.

It's such a dumb argument.  No, he's not a high end #2 but he's certainly a #2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm calm. The general theme for months on this board was how Kincaid was going to be a huge asset, spread out the defense, catch passes in the seam, be a weapon, take over the WR2, and basically be a slit player. 

The general theme of what you are saying was not the consensus here. The tune has changed. The goalposts have moved for the worst. 

Heck, Beane even talked about his skillet. The Bills 12 personnel sets aren't scaring any defenses. I envisioned a completely different version on what's happening. I was hoping for a Patriot like offense

(Gronk and Hernandez). Instead, we see Knox blocking and of going off for 5 yard catches. Same for Kincaid. It's a joke man.

Dorsey doesn't know what he's doing. McD is head deep in the defense. He offers zero to the offensive side of the ball.

This team has no offensive identity. The offensive is very good because of Allen and Diggs. That's it in a nutshell. 

I think the Bills are still figuring things out offensively.  Their running game is much better and they're getting much better running production in the red zone this year.  Brown is still a weak link so Knox stays in and blocks a Lot.  Kincaid is just a rookie but he's catching pretty much everything thrown his way.  Need to upgrade Davis in off-season.

Gabe as our #2 leaves us with little options when teams focus on Diggs which is the point. If Diggs isn’t open, what’s left? That’s the crux of the argument. Gabe can only run one route to stretch the field, and that’s all. He’s not good at anything else. So when Diggs is blanketed, we either (a) take a low percentage throw downfield which sometimes does work or (b) pray josh can make something out of nothing. The issue is you need the #2 to be more versatile and be able to run routes in other areas of the field. Theoretically he should be able to eat with so much focus on Diggs. He should be matched up against the #2 Cb so he should be able to get open. Gabe really can’t. We need a chain mover and route runner too. Let Gabe go to the giants. WRs are easier to find now than ever. It’s embarrassing that giving josh these weapons is all we’ve come up with. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Gabe as our #2 leaves us with little options when teams focus on Diggs which is the point. If Diggs isn’t open, what’s left? That’s the crux of the argument. Gabe can only run one route to stretch the field, and that’s all. He’s not good at anything else. So when Diggs is blanketed, we either (a) take a low percentage throw downfield which sometimes does work or (b) pray josh can make something out of nothing. The issue is you need the #2 to be more versatile and be able to run routes in other areas of the field. Theoretically he should be able to eat with so much focus on Diggs. He should be matched up against the #2 Cb so he should be able to get open. Gabe really can’t. We need a chain mover and route runner too. Let Gabe go to the giants. WRs are easier to find now than ever. It’s embarrassing that giving josh these weapons is all we’ve come up with. 

That is simply not true if one actually watches games.  He runs plenty of intermediate out routes.

11 minutes ago, juno999 said:

I think the Bills are still figuring things out offensively.  Their running game is much better and they're getting much better running production in the red zone this year.  Brown is still a weak link so Knox stays in and blocks a Lot.  Kincaid is just a rookie but he's catching pretty much everything thrown his way.  Need to upgrade Davis in off-season.

I hear what you are saying but I have to ask these questions and be critical of some decisions 

Do you think it was a mistake to go into the season with Davis as the WR2? Same for Spencer Brown? I mean the evidence was there to see neither guy was likely up to the task. 

The run game is still inconsistent and the use of Cook as a pass receiver is non existent. The Bills have decided to tie Allen's legs together so he doesn't run. That makes the Bills much less dangerous to defend. I get you don't want him to get injured. If that's the case he shouldn't pass because that's how QBs mostly get injured. 

Hard to believe the offense is a work in progress. It's mostly due to incompetence by the coaching staff. They have had all off season and six games to figure things out. I mean how long does it take? What the identity of the offense? I have no clue. 12 personnel seems awful ineffective and non explosive. The run still gets abandoned or is ineffective. Runs between the tackles in shotgun formation are mostly ineffective but Dorsey still pounds that drum. The offense is predictable. The saving grace is Allen and his ability to make plays. A perfect example was the TD pass to Quinton. 

You pay Knox all that money to block? How good use of salary is that? How effective does that stretch defenses in 22 personnel? 

I have little confidence Dorsey will figure things out. This offense goes only as far as Allen takes it. He will need to be Superman once again. A common occurrence for years now. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That is simply not true if one actually watches games.  He runs plenty of intermediate out routes.

With very limited success. Gabe's best catches are when Allen scrambles to buy time and Gabe breaks his route and improvises. Both of them have chemistry together and it shows. Other then that Davis should be sern as a WR3/4. Good guy but bad WR2.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Too bad that "Playoff Gabe Davis" doesn't show up during the regular season.

Reminds me of former Laker and Spur Robert Horry and Giants QB Eli Manning. They're inconsistent and low key during the regular season, but when playoff time comes, it's beast mode on.

The only reason "Playoff Gabe Davis" happened was because he wasn't used much that year and teams really didn't prepare for him.  To say it a different way, it took teams by surprise because there wasn't really any tape on it.

Many of this have said the stuff Sims has said for a couple years now. Other people are just too blind cus stats bro.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

We are starting to see that Brandon Beane has failed in surrounding Allen with weapons. He gets high marks for Diggs and average to failing grades with the rest.

His merry go round of changing WR3 and 4s has been terrible. His decision to keep Gabe as a WR2 is terrible. His decision to move up and draft Kincaid seems to be a mistake because the coaches can't or don't utilize his skillet. 

His drafting of Torrence looks excellent and I like the RB pick up of Murray. 

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

The only reason "Playoff Gabe Davis" happened was because he wasn't used much that year and teams really didn't prepare for him.  To say it a different way, it took teams by surprise because there wasn't really any tape on it.

Many of this have said the stuff Sims has said for a couple years now. Other people are just too blind cus stats bro.

Sims didn't say anything we didn't know already. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Please name 64 better WR's

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The gameplan has been masking how bad Spencer brown is very well for a majority of the season and Kincaid/Knox have a lot to do with that.  People scoff at ‘dink and dunk’ role but that is literally what has been required so far lol the offensive line has been getting smoked the last two weeks and diggs has gotten open a ton it is an absolute no brainer to keep guys in to chip/ run some shorter routes as a safety net for when your qb has 4 pass rushers in his face

can’t help but think the giants game goes a little differently if Kincaid plays…nobody else not named diggs got a whole lot of separation early in routes and there just wasn’t enough time in the pocket to hit some guys that would’ve otherwise been schemed open 

this is obviously my personal opinion but if he looked slow in the nfl or he wasn’t sure handed then I would be concerned for him but neither of those things have been true 

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think part of it in that chiefs game was mathieu going down early also.  Sorensen got absolutely smoked all night 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I hear what you are saying but I have to ask these questions and be critical of some decisions 

Do you think it was a mistake to go into the season with Davis as the WR2? Same for Spencer Brown? I mean the evidence was there to see neither guy was likely up to the task. 

The run game is still inconsistent and the use of Cook as a pass receiver is non existent. The Bills have decided to tie Allen's legs together so he doesn't run. That makes the Bills much less dangerous to defend. I get you don't want him to get injured. If that's the case he shouldn't pass because that's how QBs mostly get injured. 

Hard to believe the offense is a work in progress. It's mostly due to incompetence by the coaching staff. They have had all off season and six games to figure things out. I mean how long does it take? What the identity of the offense? I have no clue. 12 personnel seems awful ineffective and non explosive. The run still gets abandoned or is ineffective. Runs between the tackles in shotgun formation are mostly ineffective but Dorsey still pounds that drum. The offense is predictable. The saving grace is Allen and his ability to make plays. A perfect example was the TD pass to Quinton. 

You pay Knox all that money to block? How good use of salary is that? How effective does that stretch defenses in 22 personnel? 

I have little confidence Dorsey will figure things out. This offense goes only as far as Allen takes it. He will need to be Superman once again. A common occurrence for years now. 

They need to get Cook involved in the pass game.  It's a long season and they don't want Allen running around yet.  Regarding Davis and Brown, I think the Bills had too many holes to fill this offseason.  A WR would have been nice but they were off the board so Bills took Kincaid.  I believe Kincaid will be good.  They drafted Torrence and signed McGovern to shore up IOL and they drafted Dorian Williams to replace Edmunds.  These picks/decisions were higher priorities over replacing Brown.  The Bills have quite a few new faces on offense, you know who they are.  It takes awhile for it all to gel.  Bills aren't the only team figuring things out.  Chiefs are 5 - 1 but they're not an offensive juggernaut right now.  I think Davis will be another Edmunds situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

32 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Please name 64 better WR's

I don't need to. Davis is a one trick pony. He runs like 2 routes. You can pull all the stats in the world up about how many yards he gets.  It doesn't matter.  He has a lot of yards because he is a chunk guy. The offense needs a #2 that is more versatile than just run down the field and hope there is busted coverage.  He needs to be someone that can run the entire route tree and get open. 

This is Davis...

route-chart_DAV329675_2023-REG-5_1696786route-chart_DAV329675_2023-REG-4_1696193

route-chart_DAV329675_2022-REG-5_1665346route-chart_DAV329675_2022-REG-1_1662694

It's like two routes.  He might have had a couple games in his career that wasn't like this but this is what he does week in and week out. That may be a lot of yards but it's not a lot of help if it comes from only two drives.  We have no chain movers outside of Diggs.

Even though he has generally had good hands this year, his history says he doesn't.  He doesn't have speed.  He can't separate very well except for long developing routes with breakdown coverage.  He can't run a route tree.  He isn't good at contested catches. He doesn't even defend potential INTs.  He just isn't good enough.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Except they are great this year. I can’t find the contested catch rate but his catch percentage (70%) drop rate (6.7%) yards per catch (16.2) and passer rating when targeted (119.6) are all excellent. 60 second google search.

Ok well I stand corrected then for the numbers so far this year so thanks for pointing that out.

Last years numbers were awful though.

We will see how it averages it out over 17 games as it’s still very early 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ok well I stand corrected then for the numbers so far this year so thanks for pointing that out.

Last years numbers were awful though.

We will see how it averages it out over 17 games as it’s still very early 

Yeah, so far this year his hands have been ok.  He had one or two drops that were drive killers but other than that he has been mostly catching the stuff that he should. I can't even really blame him for the fumble.  I was pissed when that happened but since then, I have seen a video replay and the defender punched him in the head.  Hard enough that his head twisted to the limits.  Even still, he is one trick pony and this offense needs more than that.

Edited by Scott7975

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't need to. Davis is a one trick pony. He runs like 2 routes. You can pull all the stats in the world up about how many yards he gets.  It doesn't matter.  He has a lot of yards because he is a chunk guy. The offense needs a #2 that is more versatile than just run down the field and hope there is busted coverage.  He needs to be someone that can run the entire route tree and get open. 

This is Davis...

route-chart_DAV329675_2023-REG-5_1696786route-chart_DAV329675_2023-REG-4_1696193

route-chart_DAV329675_2022-REG-5_1665346route-chart_DAV329675_2022-REG-1_1662694

It's like two routes.  He might have had a couple games in his career that wasn't like this but this is what he does week in and week out. That may be a lot of yards but it's not a lot of help if it comes from only two drives.  We have no chain movers outside of Diggs.

Thanks for uploading these. We all see it on tv but this hammers it home for those on here that don’t want to accept it. There are just too many long winding routes with him. Need a better all around guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Thanks for uploading these. We all see it on tv but this hammers it home for those on here that don’t want to accept it. There are just too many long winding routes with him. Need a better all around guy. 

But who else to we have to run the deep clear out routes?  Isn't that the idea?  Gabe can take the top off,  Diggs can do everything, and you have Knox and Kincaid to work the middle and stretch the seem.  A gadget jitterbug in Harty and a good receiving back in Cook.

I think our weapons are fine, as you can see with our big output games.  It is consistency that hurts us.

What constitutes a "#2 WR"?  Because by any metrics you choose to use, Davis is squarely in the middle of #2 WR's compared to his peers in the rest of the NFL. Was last year and is even higher this year...I mean he is #27 in receiving yards this season(#26 if we take out Kelce and only count WRs), which is above #2 levels if we are considering there are 32 #1 WR's and 32 #2 WR's on teams.  Also is tied for 4th in TDs, 1 TD behind Diggs, and 11th in Successful play percentage at 66.7%. Interestingly Kincaid is the highest Bill in this category at 68.4% and is 7th.

I think what the issue is, is that we see a very few teams with high level, high pick WR 2's like Philadelphia, Cincinnati and San Diego(before Mike Williams got injured) and we assume EVERY #2 WR across the NFL should be putting up those numbers, but what people don't actually realize is that MOST #2 WR's in the NFL are putting up in the range of 600-700 yards in a season, which is a bar Davis easily clears.

image.thumb.png.dbe1d9c54672fda513b260a4b87724c7.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

What constitutes a "#2 WR"?  Because by any metrics you choose to use, Davis is squarely in the middle of #2 WR's compared to his peers in the rest of the NFL. Was last year and is even higher this year...I mean he is #27 in receiving yards this season, which is above #2 levels if we are considering there are 32 #1 WR's and 32 #2 WR's on teams.

I think what the issue is, is that we see a very few teams with high level, high pick WR 2's like Philadelphia, Cincinnati and San Diego(before Mike Williams got injured) and we assume EVERY #2 WR across the NFL should be putting up those numbers, but what people don't actually realize is that MOST #2 WR's in the NFL are putting up in the range of 600-700 yards in a season, which is a bar Davis easily clears.

image.thumb.png.dbe1d9c54672fda513b260a4b87724c7.png

bUt iTs nOt aBOUt tHE nUMBers!!!

We need someone to run the whole route tree!  (then we'd be bitching about not having a deep threat)

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, so far this year his hands have been ok.  He had one or two drops that were drive killers but other than that he has been mostly catching the stuff that he should. I can't even really blame him for the fumble.  I was pissed when that happened but since then, I have seen a video replay and the defender punched him in the head.  Hard enough that his head twisted to the limits.  Even still, he is one trick pony and this offense needs more than that.

I think he had the ball in his wrong hand though for the fumble. I think he had it on the left side but could be wrong.

But yes, I agree 

12 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Do you really mean he's not a number 1 playing the number 2 role like Jalen Waddle, Tee Higgins, Tyler Lockett or Devonta Smith?

What kind of production do you want out of your WR2? The vast majority of NFL teams would be thrilled to have a WR2 that puts up 800+ yards, 7 TD's & extends the field like Gabe does.

I'd say he's more than adequate as a WR2, with the only issue being he's not as big a threat in the short-intermediate game as we'd like.

Would you be confident in Davis to step up if Diggs were to miss a few games?

Gabe's production isn't worth the money he's going to command.  Buffalo needs to be looking for a Diggs compliment and eventual replacement this off-season.  

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Replace him with a guy who isn't able to take the top off a defense and see what happens...you wouldn't like it.

Since 2020, the only WR with 75+ catches who has a higher yards per reception is Marquez Valdez-Scantling.

image.thumb.png.3c760caa08e0508eb5557ffac4752346.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Even right now, he's ranked #27 in receiving yards (automatically putting him ahead of multiple #1's), tied for 4th place in TD's with 5 others (ahead of others like Jamar Chase, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Travis Kelce, Mike Evans, and many other WR1's, TE's, and RB's), and is only 61st in receptions. 

You're asking a great question IMHO

Flip it.  What does #2 mean? 

I listened to this again this morning and caught this: "they have to be a little bit stubborn and patient in the running game, or they have to have a, more intricate..more plays in the short passing game"

It sounds to me like what Chris Simms means is, the Bills no longer have a slot receiver that other teams fear, and scheme to take away

OR

That Gabe Davis lacks the NFL-level route running skills to move all around and run all the routes, like (say) Manny Sands could

I’m fairly certain if the Bills somehow signed Devante Adams and moved Davis to the third outside receiver Diggs would still get most of the targets by a wide margin. 

Upgrade Davis with the somebody more explosive. Definitely find somebody in the slot.

But getting the ball to other players not named Diggs has been an issue since Diggs came to Buffalo. I’m not saying Diggs sucks. He obviously balls. But rewatching some of these games in A-22, defenses are just ignoring some of our TE and RB in coverage. And we’re tossing it to double covered WR’s. 

All these things need to be better. This isn’t Madden, we can’t toss the season and hit “simulate to draft”. There is no going out and drafting a new WR in week 6 so I am going to keep harping on the things we can control. Commit to running the ball under center more and throw the ball to the open pass catcher. 

Edited by Mango

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.