Week 7 Bills @ Patriots - on to Foxborough!

Draconator

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's been said before, but it's actually incorrect that Josh "typically gets hurt from the pocket".  He's had two injuries in the pocket that I can think of.

Outside the pocket, it's a split between injuries on running plays and trying to extend the play (and to be fair that can be a distinction without a difference, since he'll be looking to pass until he decides to take off) but he's had 3 or 4 injuries outside the pocket.

First of all, going back to college, Josh shattered his shoulder, requiring surgery and a lost season, on a running play.  He also broke his clavicle in HS on a run play.  I say that not to dredge up old history, but when a guy has multiple injuries in the same area it does become a concern.

2018 Josh missed 4 games with a UCL injury to his right elbow, sustained in the pocket.

2019 Josh sustained a concussion on a running play vs. the Pats. Way outside the pocket.

2020 Josh sustained a shoulder injury to his L shoulder Week 4, extending the play outside the pocket to the L.  He played 2 or 3 games in a linebacker brace before switching to tape for another couple of games.  By the 5th week, he was fine.

[2020 There was also concern when Josh was corkscrewed to the ground by Bosa vs. SF outside the pocket to the R while trying to break a tackle and run; looked like a knee injury, but "Josh Allen is Gumby", he escaped.]
2021 Josh sustained a turf toe injury while running out of bounds, way outside the pocket.  Injury report, but "Josh Allen is Gumby" saved him again.

2022 UCL tear again vs the Jets, in the pocket as I recall.  No time lost but Josh admitted after the season that it did affect his throwing motion.

Those are the ones we know about, of course there are bumps and bruises and contusions and strains and sprains that go unreported.

But I make that 2 injuries in the pocket, and 3 [or 4] outside.

Trivial detail but I believe you have the wrong Bosa brother, I remember that happening during the Chargers game one or two weeks before we played the Niners (not sure Bosa was healthy for that one)

That was scary for a little while. Then he had a classic pylon TD dive not long after!

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I don't buy it.

First of all, if Belicheck were seriously going to switch QB to Malik Cunningham or give him a significant role, why would he advertise it in the press?  Keep it quiet and show it on the field.  "Surprise is the essence of attack"

Second, Cunningham had what, 2 snaps in the Raiders game?  On one of them he took a 5 yd sack. 

The Cover1 Disguised Coverage show has Patriots guy Taylor Kyles talking about this, starting at 12:27 if the link doesn't take you there.  Taylor (Pats guy) says "he's been primarily trained as a receiver, and getting packaged as a QB.  He showed promising flashes in preseason, but literally just end of game flashes.  If you think it's bad with Mac, imagine how it's going to look with Malik Cunningham who has no chemistry with the people on the field and is still learning the offense, out there for an entire game against NFL defenses.  He got two opportunities at QB last week, a zone read and an RPO...maybe he was not processing things quickly enough, there was a well timed blitz...Malik is very talented, but to expect him to play any significant snaps at QB no matter who the emergency QB is, it's just not going to happen because Mac is just far and away the best QB on this roster."

I think it's distraction, designed to send Bills defensive assistants scurrying for the Louisville tape and wasting their time there.

He didn't advertise it.  I think it was one of those "I got some anonymous source inside the club and this is what they told me" kind of thing.  If Mac keeps playing bad, he will be pulled sooner or later. He has already been benched for a partial game.  It's also possible they try to use that other QB as like an occasional wild cat QB.  There have been a few teams in that past that have done that sort of thing.

Edited by Scott7975

The Patriots have become a severely banged up time since those 1 score games...you mean like, last week's game against the Raiders which they lost by 4 points?  And one could say the same about the Bills ...they've become a severely banged up team since they had those strong wins earlier in the season.

The Bills should have had no trouble at all with the Giants, and yet.

Settle and Ford played 25% of the snaps each at 1T last week.  Why is that, if they can get'er done against a team that is literally last in the league in scoring, 28th in passing, and 19th for rush yards?

The Bills can and should beat the Patriots, but make no mistake...it's going to be a much harder slog if there isn't strong pressure and run defense up the middle.  Bill Belicheck is aware that we have two inexperienced linebackers, and he will be doing his best to fool them.

The Raiders. LOL

1 hour ago, k2mountain said:

Who is worried about Tyler Bass?

I'm not worried. I think he shakes off the yips and has a decent game going 2 of 2 FG.

I think part of his shanks at Highmark were driven by the elements.

The fact that he missed both FGs in the exact same way makes me feel good. That doesn’t really suggest the yips— probably something more intentional with how he thought the wind was blowing or something. 

• Agree 1

There is a ton of talk about tanking in New England.  

What do you all think? Would Belichick actually TRY to lose games?  Obviously, not in the coaching - but in resting guys, starting different players, et al.

Some would argue that they don't have to tank, and their schedule is really hard.  But there are winnable games on there. They could get 3-5 wins along the way, and miss out on the top QB prospects (preferable).  I'd be kind of shocked if out of the 5-6 teams w/ the worst records, they were the ones to really go all in on the tank for one of the top 2 picks.

The Bills can and should beat the Patriots, but make no mistake...it's going to be a much harder slog if there isn't strong pressure and run defense up the middle.  Bill Belicheck is aware that we have two inexperienced linebackers, and he will be doing his best to fool them.

Please forgive me, B-Dubs, but I believe you have misspelled, "Bill Belicheck is aware that we have two agile, fast and bright linebackers who have clearly learned how to swim and whom Bills fans now refer to as The Swarm."

It happens.

Go Bills!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If the Patriots* lose eight more games under Bill Belichick* (which could certainly happen this season), he would be tied for the most losses of any coach in NFL history.

If they do move on from Belichick and Bill wants to continue coaching, then I could see LAC as a good landing spot. Staley is on thin ice out there. Bill would get a good QB in Herbert as well as a talented roster to work with. I don't see him going to a place that will require a massive rebuild at his age.

What scares me the most… cause I honestly wrote off Dorsey last year. 

Remember this offense after the bye week last year? After halftime of the Green Bay game? This offense could do absolutely nothing. 6 games in, 3 terrible games (2 weeks in a row now)… I feel we are back to that funk. As bad as the Patriots are this year, don’t be surprised with them being a division rival it comes down to the last series.

There are analysts and commentators all over that are seeing this, it’s not just homer fans. I’m not expecting much again this week cause it still feels as if it’s just a “rhythm” thing, just gotta “start faster”, which makes zero sense with a team who’s mindset is “score every time we get the ball”…. It’s scheme, play calling, lack of specifics that everyone sees… the writing is on the wall. Dorsey is not a top OC. 

Edited by CEN-CAL17

I don't know looks like Allen's arm is about to fall off, Belichick better gameplan for Kyle Allen.😏

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

If the Patriots* lose eight more games under Bill Belichick* (which could certainly happen this season), he would be tied for the most losses of any coach in NFL history.

What are the odds that Bill gets 7 more and then spontaneously retires before the next game for mysterious reasons?

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 1

One of the responses:  😂

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Please forgive me, B-Dubs, but I believe you have misspelled, "Bill Belicheck is aware that we have two agile, fast and bright linebackers who have clearly learned how to swim and whom Bills fans now refer to as The Swarm."

It happens.

Go Bills!

I love it!  Well played!

Isabella with a little hip action there

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, k2mountain said:

I'm not worried. I think he shakes off the yips and has a decent game going 2 of 2 FG.

He was like 26-26 before the game, he’s fine. 

Just saw the video of Allen breaking the huddle before the game last week.

I’m so happy there is still someone yelling “I love you Josh Allen” in a high pitched voice 😂 Cole Beasley would be proud. 

Does anyone else here that old Santana song playing when they watch Dalton Kincaid run routes?

He is sooooooo smooth.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If we're not going to acquire anyone....we may as well give Isabella a shot on motion and in the slot. He's got speed 

Yeah?  Who do we dump?

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

If they do move on from Belichick and Bill wants to continue coaching, then I could see LAC as a good landing spot. Staley is on thin ice out there. Bill would get a good QB in Herbert as well as a talented roster to work with. I don't see him going to a place that will require a massive rebuild at his age.

I would like him to stay.

My desire to see humiliating Patriot losses has not been sated quite yet.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You know what's cool?

Sweep the Pats this season and McD becomes the first and only coach in NFL history to have a winning record against BB in 10 or more games (8-7).

Josh is already 6-5* against him in starts.

(* 6-4 in games he has started and finished)

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

8-12 targets is super unrealistic 

Agreed.  He's been getting a bit under 4 targets per game.  Knox has been getting a bit over 4. 

I'd like to see one or two of Knox targets switch to Kincaid, and one or two from someone else - Diggs being force-fed on a couple of his 11 targets per game.

Call it 6 maybe.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, julian said:

I tried, carry on

You did, and it was a valiant try.

But for some of us who have BBFS from living through 15 straight losses from 2003 to 2010, then a lone win followed by 6 more straight losses, and topped off with 6 straight losses to start McDermott's career here, we do not forget.

Stomp on them.  Salt their fields.  Steal their cattle and....well never mind that part's not PC....

Never forget.  Never relax.  Never take winning for granted.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 5

41 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You did, and it was a valiant try.

But for some of us who have BBFS from living through 15 straight losses from 2003 to 2010, then a lone win followed by 6 more straight losses, and topped off with 6 straight losses to start McDermott's career here, we do not forget.

Stomp on them.  Salt their fields.  Steal their cattle and....well never mind that part's not PC....

Never forget.  Never relax.  Never take winning for granted.

Lol brilliant, I’m glad there’s fans micro analyzing every aspect of the franchise’s functionality and decision making, it allows me to just stay off the roller coaster and enjoy the season.

I didn’t actually expect anyone to agree on anything, that’s not how it works lol, there’s room for all perspectives.

7 minutes ago, julian said:

Lol brilliant, I’m glad there’s fans micro analyzing every aspect of the franchise’s functionality and decision making, it allows me to just stay off the roller coaster and enjoy the season.

I didn’t actually expect anyone to agree on anything, that’s not how it works lol, there’s room for all perspectives.

To be clear: there are fans micro-analyzing every aspect of the franchise's functionality and decision making.  I don't tend to think I'm one of them - at least, I'm not starting threads about who we should fire and opining that this or that player is a bust (that I know of)

However, absolutely NO microanalysis or detailed scrutiny whatsoever is necessary for the macro-analysis of what the Bills fans suffered at the hands of the Patriots for Years,  And Years. and Years.  Then toss in "Just Give it To Them"

You get "“Thief, thief, thief! Bill B! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!”

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

To be clear: there are fans micro-analyzing every aspect of the franchise's functionality and decision making.  I don't tend to think I'm one of them - at least, I'm not starting threads about who we should fire and opining that this or that player is a bust (that I know of)

However, absolutely NO microanalysis or detailed scrutiny whatsoever is necessary for the macro-analysis of what the Bills fans suffered at the hands of the Patriots for Years,  And Years. and Years.  Then toss in "Just Give it To Them"

You get "“Thief, thief, thief! Bill B! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!”

Yeah I never thought you were and to be perfectly clear in case it was lost in translation, I don’t think the criticism of any one particular aspect or of the team as a whole is unwarranted.

I enjoy reading it to be honest.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know what's cool?

Sweep the Pats this season and McD becomes the first and only coach in NFL history to have a winning record against BB in 10 or more games (8-7).

Josh is already 6-5* against him in starts.

(* 6-4 in games he has started and finished)

My question would be how many coaches have went against Billichick more than 10 times? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

So with Kaiir and Cam Lewis both nicked up, does this mean we will be starting Josh Norman at CB2?

No.

Christian Benford is not on injury report; Dane Jackson was a full participant
Both of them are ahead of Lewis and Elam on the injury report

Ja'Marcus Ingram has been elevated from the practice squad for the last 2 games with Benford and then Jackson unable to go

I imagine they will use his third elevation if Elam can't go.

Lewis is an interesting question.  I'm not sure how they'd handle it if he can't go; he's kind of their "DB Swiss Army Knife"\

They might have Damar Hamlin active as a ST'er and 4th safety.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, k2mountain said:

Not only was there some weather but the field goals were over 50 yards. I think Bass is fine.

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Pats injury report.  Per Sal Capaccio Jonathan Jones was later upgraded to "limited"

I remember everyone, including myself being so high on Hunter Henry. It was the same anticipation everyone gave kincaid 😐

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

I remember everyone, including myself being so high on Hunter Henry. It was the same anticipation everyone gave kincaid 😐

TBH, if Kincaid put up Henry-like numbers I'd be OK with that.

We could use the 30 1D and 8 TD he put up his rookie year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.