Roger Goodell said today's game was an experiment??

Bubba Gump

I'm also in the camp that this international NFL concept is crap. I've always thought playing games in London is stupid, and not because of any American pride reason. Rather, I think it's competitively unfair, and potentially unsafe for the players. Who knows if today's guys would have gone down if they actually had slept properly the last two days.

Playing games in other countries is not good for the sport, it's just simply an attempt to find more financial growth for the league because they can't think of anything else to do at this point. dumb dumb dumb

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, spartan19 said:

I wish they would have "experimented" and played the game on grass.  So much for concern about player safety.

They experiment only at making money, and not losing money. Not what is best for the players or fans, regardless of the BS they spew. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

We’d be laughing so hard if KC fans were crying like this.  

Is jet lag a new concept? If they were THAT tired - as world class athletes - from a 7 hour flight, that’s embarrassing. But if that really is a concern, FLY OUT MONDAY. 

As far as the turf, yeah, every game should be played on the fairway of Augusta. But they’re not. And the Jags were on the same field.

We lost. To a supposed inferior team. I really don’t even care about the loss. This is all about Milano. And how Beane needs to be on the phones dealing whatever he needs to get a guy in here. 

No team has played in London against a team that played in London the previous week. The turf and injuries are issues that can happen on other NFL fields but the London thing is just awful

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Everyone complained about west coast teams traveling east being at a disadvantage for years but somehow a team on their ‘home game’ jumping 5 time zones to meet the away team that was there the week before is out of the question?  

to me if you’re gonna do an experiment like this at least make it a bills away game 

The bold, at the very least. I don’t think it’s an “experiment” at all. I think they were just proving what was intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. 

It was sloppy, lazy or dare I say, calculated in a less than fair manner. 

Edited by Augie

39 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

This POS is all about the owners and could care less about the players or fans.

Well to be honest that's his job. He's paid to make decisions that lead to the happiness of the owners (short-term cash flow), not the happiness of players and fans (long-term health of the game).

24 minutes ago, spartan19 said:

I wish they would have "experimented" and played the game on grass.  So much for concern about player safety.

Lawrence said the grass isn't the same over there as it is in the US because it is made for the ball to roll on while playing soccer and is much slicker.

56 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Are you ***** kidding me?? He said they wanted to see how having a team over there for a few weeks stood up to a team travelling from the US. Boomer Esiason just said he would be pissed if he were the Bills. Basically said Goodell's "experiment" was a joke. 

Pretty sure I heard on the TV sometime today that the Jags have only been over there 10 days, which means that they also traveled on Thursday, 10 days ago, so them being over there “a few weeks” sounds way off.

11 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Obviously advantage Jags in the 1st half, we sleepwalked and finally injuries caught up with us in the end. But the flags today we're just unbearable, slowed the game to a crawl. I hate it all. Had a bad feeling ever since they said the Jags would be there ahead of us. I mean a 6 hour difference is no joke and I was shocked we didn't arrive earlier like on Tuesday or Wednesday, that was a fail on our part.

After reading Roger's comment it makes me wonder who made this decision?  

Was it someone at OBD, or did the NFL tell us yall are flying in on Thursday for experimental purposes?

Makes me wonder. 

Does anyone know?

Edited by reddogblitz

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Well to be honest that's his job. He's paid to make decisions that lead to the happiness of the owners (short-term cash flow), not the happiness of players and fans (long-term health of the game).

Understood, but really turns me off as a fan.

53 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Great that Bills were the guinea pig. That guy has single handedly ruined the NFL. Between his over officiating and all this international BS. The game is getting harder to watch. He is not doing the league any favors. 

I surmise that if the owners didn’t like the job he’s doing, they wouldn’t be paying him $40+ million a year. Just sayin…

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Lawrence said the grass isn't the same over there as it is in the US because it is made for the ball to roll on while playing soccer and is much slicker.

It wouldn't be so different tbh, they water the fields before soccer games to get the ball moving

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

So the Bills had a “home game” against a team that regularly plays in that market, and the team that actually has years of experience building a local fan base, gets a week to get acclimated to the time change and conditions. That doesn’t pass the smell test. 

I’m not just reacting to today’s game. That is pure BS that they want to “experiment” with giving any team, let alone an “away” team, any advantages. 

As much as I hate that, I hate even more buying any additional streaming services to line their pockets. I have never thought I could lose interest, but they are pushing the limits. I need some cooling off, but this has been building for a while. I don’t NEED the NFL at all. 

It is incredibly easy to watch for free without giving them any money

56 minutes ago, BBFL said:

The experiment was to see about a permanent team being in London… That’s the only experimental thing they did; give a team multiple weeks there.

Can’t see what else… it’s not geographical experimenting… they’ve played in London every year since 2007 with multiple games in that City since 2013.

Incorrect. The NFL is exploring a possible England/European division and also expanding into other markets like Ireland, Spain, and Brazil. This is called marketing and internationalization.

what happened today was the experiment and we were the guinea pigs

Goodell's experiments more often than not leave the Bills on the short end.   Is the God awful officiating of this morning and last sunday night an experiment too?  was the cross promotion with Taylor Swift last Sunday an experiment.

Goodell needs to go, he is ruining the NFL just a little more every season.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Toledo Bill said:

Understood, but really turns me off as a fan.

Oh yeah, that's completely understandable because owners don't care about the health of the game - whereas we fans do.

I'm an MLB fan and I've watched the sport of baseball slowly lose its status as "America's pastime" and lose fans on a consistent basis for the last 35 years because the owners of the teams only care about short-term profit and don't want to concern themselves with what's actually best for the sport. And those two things are not aligned, more often than not.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

It is incredibly easy to watch for free without giving them any money

If I decide I don’t want to follow like I used to, it’s because I’m turning my back on them. If and when I get to that point, I’m not going to steal from them. It’s even worse. I will stop caring. 

• Like (+1) 2

!@#$ Roger Goodell. This entire NFL in Europe thing is a joke and does nothing to help the NFL. It’s an American game and should be played on fields that are designed for American football. It’s that’s simple. If the league truly cared about players, they wouldn’t be scheduling games in Europe. 

This a brutal sport and it’s hard enough for teams to get ready to play week after week and deal with the US-based travel demands. Experiments are for lab rats, not professional football players. 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I honestly can’t tell if you’re agreeing with me or not. 

Assuming no, you make traveling “5 time zones” sound like they swam there. It’s not like the game was in Australia. I’ve done that flight. That sucks. I’ve also flown to Europe many times. That sucks less. 

And again, if that was a problem: LEAVE MONDAY. 

You also don't play a sport against world class athletes. Jet lag is a thing. As far as leaving on Monday, agreed. Not sure why they put their trust into their sport scientists. Which was "get plenty of sleep" like they come with a sleep button. 

1 minute ago, Dubie54 said:

!@#$ Roger Goodell. This entire NFL in Europe thing is a joke and does nothing to help the NFL. It’s an American game and should be played on fields that are designed for American football. It’s that’s simple. If the league truly cared about players, they wouldn’t be scheduling games in Europe. 

This a brutal sport and it’s hard enough for teams to get ready to play week after week and deal with the US-based travel demands. Experiments are for lab rats, not professional football players. 

To be fair we get zero compensation for the 20million in service salary we lost today. Milano and Jones won’t play 12 games out of 17, we could have tanked the game and started our reserves. 

2 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

The only way that makes any kind of sense as an experiment is if him and Daniel Levy at Tottenham are seriously looking to add a London franchise. 

The jags owner loves london...the nfl knows if they get a team in London it opens the bridge to the rest of Europe 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Incorrect. The NFL is exploring a possible England/European division and also expanding into other markets like Ireland, Spain, and Brazil. This is called marketing and internationalization.

Incorrect then you go and state exactly that… teams within Europe. Jesus man, what are you arguing about?

22 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

It was also an experiment to see if the Jags could play in London while their stadium is being built.

8 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Incorrect then you go and state exactly that… teams within Europe. Jesus man, what are you arguing about?

You must not have comprehended at all what I wrote. Permanent teams within Europe vs. an American based NFL team playing back to back weeks there.

I’m not arguing at all. And no need for the hostility.

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
Edit

32 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Oh yeah, that's completely understandable because owners don't care about the health of the game - whereas we fans do.

Wait, the owners who have billions invested, don’t care about the future, but the fans (who can walk away at any point and have invested far less actual capital) do? 🤔

I mean, I dislike the Euro games, but pretty sure the owners want long term success more than fans do.  For like a trillion reasons… :beer: 

1 hour ago, Dubie54 said:

The London home/away seemed backwards to me.  The jags first game in london should have be their "away" game.  The 2nd jags game in london should be considered their "home" game since they stay there the week and are more acclimated to the stadium.  Jags actually had home field advantage (minus the bills mafia ) since they didn't have to travel this week and were able to get acclimated to the time change/used to stadium/etc....

The NFL loves to publicize that they are always working for more player safety.

And yet they play Thursday night games (before guys have time to recover) and London games (where guys' bodies aren't ready to play because of the travel/time change/lack of sleep/change in standard preparation for a game), plus they increased the season to 17 games and are pushing for 18 games.

The NFL actually caring about the players is a total farce and severe false advertising.

I don't even care about losing the game (the NFL obviously wanted the Jags to win this game)...I do care about Matt Milano, Daquan Jones, Taron Johnson, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.