What is Patrick Surtain Jr.'s Trade Value?

Estro

What would the Bills be willing to give up in trade compensation to acquire Patrick Surtain Jr.  Regarded as one of the best young CB's in the league he'd certainly be a huge upgrade after the Tre White injury. He also has 2 cheap years left on his deal.

He's due less than 2M for the rest of this year, a little over 3M next year and you still have the 5th year option to control his '25 season.

The Bills have the next 4 games (including todays) to get a good look at how Benford, Jackson, Elam and perhaps even Ingram will hold it down at outside CB........but what would you be willing to part with to drop in one of the best young CBs onto this roster?

I happen to think it would take a 1st + Elam at a minimum and likely a little more than that.  I love the idea, but at that price and given what we've heard about the strength of the '24 draft it's tough.

Edited by Estro
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Given where we will likely be drafting, I’m guessing any conversation begins with our 1st.. as the bare minimum starting point.  

Id probably be open to a package involving our 1st and 3rd, given we have a comp 3rd this year.

Its tough though.. We may be fine at CB with Jackson, Benford and Elam.   And in terms of off-season needs, we’re staring at WR2, Safety and DT as premium pick needs. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Would Surtains contract be the issue? Salary Cap stretched to fit him in??

No.. that’s why he’s so appealing. 

Elite player with this year and next on his rookie deal.  Then the fifth year option after next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No way the Broncos trade him. He is on his rookie deal and he is a top 10 corner. He is their best player, young and cheap.

Probably not, unless Denver decides they need to load up picks for a QB.  

Caleb Williams and Drake Maye look to be worthwhile QB’s to target this coming Draft. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Probably not, unless Denver decides they need to load up picks for a QB.  

Caleb Williams and Drake Maye look to be worthwhile QB’s to target this coming Draft. 

They should land in the Williams/Maye conversation just in where they finish this year without having to move someone like Surtain. 

• Agree 1

Why do people always think that they can just trade for any player? Just because Denver is a bad team doesn't mean they are going to trade one of their best players, still on a rookie contract, away.  They still need to build a team to. It makes zero sense for them to trade him.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Why do people always think that they can just trade for any player? Just because McDaniels is a bad head coach doesn't mean they are going to trade one of their best players, still on a rookie contract, away.  They still need to build a team too. It makes zero sense for them to trade him.

HuH?!?

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Why do people always think that they can just trade for any player? Just because Denver is a bad team doesn't mean they are going to trade one of their best players, still on a rookie contract, away.  They still need to build a team to. It makes zero sense for them to trade him.

Sean Payton redirecting draft resources in the way he wants may be what allows a deal like this to happen. Granted there is a roadblock with Paton being the one who drafted him. Either way a young safety on a rookie contract is not what will make them contenders.

2 hours ago, Estro said:

What would the Bills be willing to give up in trade compensation to acquire Patrick Surtain Jr.  Regarded as one of the best young CB's in the league he'd certainly be a huge upgrade after the Tre White injury. He also has 2 cheap years left on his deal.

He's due less than 2M for the rest of this year, a little over 3M next year and you still have the 5th year option to control his '25 season.

The Bills have the next 4 games (including todays) to get a good look at how Benford, Jackson, Elam and perhaps even Ingram will hold it down at outside CB........but what would you be willing to part with to drop in one of the best young CBs onto this roster?

I happen to think it would take a 1st + Elam at a minimum and likely a little more than that.  I love the idea, but at that price and given what we've heard about the strength of the '24 draft it's tough.

Hypothetically, #32😎

3 hours ago, Estro said:

A lot.

I’m going all in on acquiring assets at a cost to move in on Harrison Jr. 

He’s the most complete WR I’ve seen in a long time. His QB isn’t great this year either. 

Also, his dad knows the importance of playing for a QB master talent. I honestly think Buffalo would be the primo situation for Junior. Mahomes and Reid screw around too much with the ball. From Allen he’d get straight bullets 20-30 yards down the field. 

It’s unlikely, but if you haven’t seen Harrison play, just watch. Size, length, hands, body control, ball skills, grace.. he’s really unreal. 

Of course, every team would want him, but if he shows interest in Buffalo, OBD should consider it a transformation addition. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Like (+1) 1

Schefter is reporting the Broncos are open to trade talks on quite a few players.  

In such a loaded draft with multiple big time QB prospects and top tier wide receivers etc.. I have to think the sellers will be more open than last year to move guys. 

So, maybe it’s not Denver we reach out to, maybe it is, but I think there will be plenty of opportunities to bring in a LB, DT and/or CB that at least can help solidify the units, if needed. 

Edited by SCBills

Let’s be real, we all love Tre White but this is probably the end of him. This secondary has been amazing but they are old. I’d give a first for this guy without hesitation. Hopefully that pick is 32 anyway. Go get the new number 1 corner for as many years as possible. The guy we draft in the first won’t be as good as this guy anyway. There should be zero fear in doing that deal.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Let’s be real, we all love Tre White but this is probably the end of him. This secondary has been amazing but they are old. I’d give a first for this guy without hesitation. Hopefully that pick is 32 anyway. Go get the new number 1 corner for as many years as possible. The guy we draft in the first won’t be as good as this guy anyway. There should be zero fear in doing that deal.

Im just worried we need to spend a high pick on a new safety too. Poyer is absolutely shot and Hyde is getting there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think he’s worth more than Beane is willing to pay. The Cowboys can offer more and Jerry will get the deal. We trade picks to move up in the draft for guys we don’t fully feature in our offense and defense. 

We should trade all our first and second picks for thirds thru sixth we are better at that 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Im just worried we need to spend a high pick on a new safety too. Poyer is absolutely shot and Hyde is getting there.

That’s fine but you aren’t taking one in round 1 anyway. You got to take a swing here. Obviously offer Denver a 2nd bit if they push back, I’m cool with it. Plus it’s all what to do about nothing because deep down we know this is fan fiction. Never happening. Will just be calling up a scrub guy like Ingram then wondering why we can’t get off the field on 3rd down. Replace an A player with a fringe PS D- and think it’s working 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.