Dolphins @ Bills Postgame thread

djp14150

52 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I don't think the problem is Vic Fangio himself.

It's how his scheme fits the Dolphins roster (or should I say doesn't fit).

Sort of reminds me of when Greggo came here and forced his 46 D on a team that had finished third in the league in defense the year prior.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Living in Florida, I kept hearing how Tua was going to school the Bills and control the division.  I can't wait to talk some trash to those nasty little pukes tomorrow.  I will be brutal.

Just checking in.  Any good stories for us?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I apologize for if this has been posted already.  I didn't read all 35 pages.

If the lip readers are right, I think what McDaniel said was pretty cool...

2 years from now, after not passing the Bills by Miami ownership grows tired of McDaniel and blows it all up. They hire former Miami Hurricanes QB Ken Dorsey to be the new HC.

McDermott brings in McDaniel as the new OC. I saw the script.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't read through this whole thread, so forgive me if this has been observed, but...

After the first couple of drives by the Dolphins offense, the Bills defense adjusted, and I saw the same three things over and over again:

Tua double clutching when his first read was covered, The Bills' interior D-line pushing the pocket and not allowing Tua to step up, and the entire Bills' D-line getting arms and hands up into the passing lanes when Tua threw.

When I saw these things consistently happening, again and again, I thought to myself "the Bills are going to shut down this offense and win this game", and that's exactly what happened. Against a timing and rhythm passer like Tua, who gets the ball off SO quickly and whose success is largely predicated on throwing to his first read (who, in fairness, is usually open, due to McDaniel's expert scheming and use of motion), making him go through his progressions, hurrying him up, and getting arms up in the passing lanes is THE recipe to stopping him. The Bills defense did all of it, and quite expertly.

On the other side of the ball, all I can say is: Balance. That's what I've seen out of the Bills offense the past three weeks. Whether it be the balance between heavy and spread personnel, the balance between passing and running, the balance between dropback and play-action, the balance between short and long throws...Balance. The Bills offense is tough to defend right now because you can't key in on one thing against them. They're doing it all.

Great win.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

The Dolphins are a legit elite team.  McDaniel has created some wrinkles on offense that are incredibly innovative, and he has the players that can align the execution w/ his vision.  Tua is a top-tier QB (imo).  The speed on that team is ridiculous.  

I have a huge amount of respect for that team, and expect them to be right in the mix at the end of the season.

But we gave them a clinic yesterday.  There was just nothing they could do. McD had all of the answers for how to stop them on defense - that part of the game was another master class from him on defense.  And this was such a statement, "I've arrived" type of game for Dorsey.  

That performance yesterday, on both sides of the ball, is giving me big dreams.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

The Dolphins are a legit elite team.  McDaniel has created some wrinkles on offense that are incredibly innovative, and he has the players that can align the execution w/ his vision.  Tua is a top-tier QB (imo).  The speed on that team is ridiculous.  

I have a huge amount of respect for that team, and expect them to be right in the mix at the end of the season.

But we gave them a clinic yesterday.  There was just nothing they could do. McD had all of the answers for how to stop them on defense - that part of the game was another master class from him on defense.  And this was such a statement, "I've arrived" type of game for Dorsey.  

I'm not sure about this.  I think you're giving that team too much respect.  Year after year we've seen the Dolphins set the league on fire in the first 3 or 4 games, and then fold.  What happened yesterday looks like the beginning of the end for them.  Their defense can't stop anyone and the Bills put out a blueprint on how to slow down that offense.  It will be interesting to see how the Giants do against them next week.  The Giants aren't nearly as good as the Bills, but I'm sure McDermott and the boys will share what they learned with Daboll and his staff.  If the Fins lose to the Giants at home, the swoon will be in full motion...    

30 minutes ago, Success said:

I agree with what you say here.

The thing is...in 2019, when the Ravens and a new, improved G-Ro offense were being hailed as "unstoppable" "unprecedented" and "how do you slow that down?" there were actually a couple of defenses that limited it pretty well - and about the best of those was Buffalo, who held them to 257 yds of offense and 24 points (7 of which came off a strip sack practically on our goal line, by the way).

The Titans acknowledged they riffed off elements of that to win in the playoffs.   And since then, more teams have caught on and the Ravens offense has been good, but not as good, winning, but not unstoppable.

So NE did a pretty good job against the Dolphins, and could have won if they'd had an offense.  And the Bills D was, I believe, different, but also effective enough.

Teams around the league are going to be watching that tape.  Not everyone will be able to follow those blueprints because you have to have the pieces on D.  But the thing about McDermott's D is it's not built on having superstars, but on working together for something that's bigger than the sum of its parts.  So I think a lot of DCs around the league look and ask "could we do that?"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I'm not sure about this.  I think you're giving that team too much respect.  Year after year we've seen the Dolphins set the league on fire in the first 3 or 4 games, and then fold.  What happened yesterday looks like the beginning of the end for them.  Their defense can't stop anyone and the Bills put out a blueprint on how to slow down that offense.  It will be interesting to see how the Giants do against them next week.  The Giants aren't nearly as good as the Bills, but I'm sure McDermott and the boys will share what they learned with Daboll and his staff.  If the Fins lose to the Giants at home, the swoon will be in full motion...    

Yesterday reminded me of a few years ago when they rolled into Buffalo late in the season after beating up on a bunch of ***** teams…. The media was drooling over them, the Bills had no shot. In the end Matt Barkley and the second stringers were kicking their ass in the second half

Edited by BananaB
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've read that coaches scheme up about 15 or so plays in scripts to start out their first offensive drive or two, and they run down the list as long as they stay ahead of the sticks. This is often credited as the reason why offenses can march methodically down the field and score on the first drive, and then struggle the rest of the way. My impression is that teams don't write a new script at halftime, but if there was any time to sort of recollect and try to create an offensive narrative or flow after being stalled, that would be the time. It's interesting that a consistent theme of Sean's defenses are that they struggle on the first couple of drives before locking teams down. The Dolphins were able to score quickly on two drives, and then didn't do anything again until the first drive after halftime (when about half of the stadium was still in line at the bathrooms fwiw) when they presumably could have regrouped. Then, nothing again the rest of the way. 

Whatever edge these teams seem to get on us early, it appears that McDermott is great once the flow of the game takes over and it becomes a real chess match. I'd definitely rather have a coach that might be leaky during the scripted drive and great when the game settles in than the reverse

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

So two years ago my jersey of choice was Tre…torn ACL.

The next year Poyer…injured.

Last year I bought a Rick Jeannerett jersey…he died.

This year I started Tre and look what happened.

With such a bad opener I switched to my RJ jersey. I figured that he is already dead what else could go wrong? 3-0 baby!

I used to think I couldn’t buy jerseys of anybody until they got extended. That wearing a QB jersey was a curse. But apparently I can’t wear jerseys until that person is dead. I’m basically a walking sports voodoo doll. 

let’s test this out, why don’t you go buy a Mahomes jersey?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

it’s very annoying that most of the “journalists” who cover the Bills have the same arrogant attitude and seem to relish talking down to / arguing with fans

I think Sal M is trying to fill the void Jerry Sullivan left. What does this guy expect posting flaming hot takes on Twitter? Then he gets mad when people call him out? Spare me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Poor guy.

Idk where he’s getting that from…the dolphins had a supremely lucky play go their way on the first two drives.  The bills had absolutely 0 difficulty scoring on offense it was pretty clear sal had that tweet backwards.  Nothing really changed at all their luck just ran out 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Idk where he’s getting that from…the dolphins had a supremely lucky play go their way on the first two drives.  The bills had absolutely 0 difficulty scoring on offense it was pretty clear sal had that tweet backwards.  Nothing really changed at all their luck just ran out 

I know. It wasn't like the Fins were running us off the field. He's just embracing extreme negativity. He's the same with the Yankees, though this year he has a point.

51 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Poor guy.

It's not like he said something we weren't all thinking at those same moments on those first couple of drives. He may need to not be so sensitive, and some people need to stop acting like they never had concerns. You're not less of a fan because you recognize the other team is cookin.  I know I had some nerves but I also had a feeling Buffalo was going to pull ahead eventually. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.