Tre White Injury Updates (Torn Achilles now confirmed)

Process

2 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

sadly there is some truth to that. It is true the Chiefs never seem to have these devastating injuries. They have injuries during the course of the season but get the players back for the playoffs when it matters most.  Nothing worse than a season ending injury, and Chiefs truly do not get a lot of those to key players.  

Mahomes played on one leg in the playoffs and Super Bowl. 

During the playoff game vs Buffalo the honey badger was out. That injury was very likely a good reason why Gabe went off. 

Chris Jones has been hurt a plenty. 

Your claim is inaccurate.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Problems with the Achilles Tendon are graded: Grade I: Mild strain. Grade II: Moderate strain. Grade III: Complete rupture.

Full state of Tre's injury needs to be diagnosed by MRI.

One of the football players in high school had a Achilles injury and played baseball (outfielder) in Spring.

It is interesting that JEST QB Aaron Rodgers had this injury as well.

That’s a complete rupture and Tre is done for the season. 

I say that because with a Grade III you feel a pop and that’s what Tre was reacting to when he tossed his helmet. He felt it pop and knew he was done. Heartbreaking. I hope he rehabs again, plays for us again and retires a Bill but I wouldn’t expect him to regain his peak form. Just awful for a wonderful guy, exemplary teammate, and consummate professional.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, newcam2012 said:

During the playoff game vs Buffalo the honey badger was out. That injury was very likely a good reason why Gabe went off. 

KC also had their best offensive linemen tear their ACL in the AFCCG in 2020 which led to their online issues during that Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

but he PLAYED, right? In the Super Bowl. I am talking about guys that did NOT play.  His ankle injury was practically a non-factor anyway due to Chiefs completely dominating at the LOS.  Oh, not to mention, didn’t they ice the Cinci game on… a Mahomes scramble?  

Chris Jones, they had him when it mattered most. He basically played the role that we expected from Von Miller in last season’s playoffs. KC does not get past the Bengals without CJ.

I’ll give you Honey Badger, but that’s about it.

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

but he PLAYED, right? In the Super Bowl. I am talking about guys that did NOT play.  His ankle injury was practically a non-factor anyway due to Chiefs completely dominating at the LOS.  Oh, not to mention, didn’t they ice the Cinci game on… a Mahomes scramble?  

Chris Jones, they had him when it mattered most. He basically played the role that we expected from Von Miller in last season’s playoffs. KC does not get past the Bengals without CJ.

I’ll give you Honey Badger, but that’s about it.

The whining about injuries gets old. 

Diggs on Dallas went down, Rodgers went down, Jalen Ramsey, Burrow isn't healthy.  QB Derick Carr, QB Watson , QB Jimmy G, etc... Miami's Philips their best pass rusher was out. Their best tackle Armstend went out today. 

There will be more to come. It's part of the game. 

I just don't like the crying about injuries. The Bills have been very fortunate not to have Allen seriously hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The whining about injuries gets old. 

Diggs on Dallas went down, Rodgers went down, Jalen Ramsey, Burrow isn't healthy.  QB Derick Carr, QB Watson , QB Jimmy G, etc... Miami's Philips their best pass rusher was out. Their best tackle Armstend went out today. 

There will be more to come. It's part of the game. 

I just don't like the crying about injuries. The Bills have been very fortunate not to have Allen seriously hurt. 

Yeah, I get it, because I don't like it either.  Today, I felt worse about White as an individual than the future of the Bills.  But... I did not come here to "whine" about injuries, but rather, to point out that the quote that was posted by someone else regarding Kansas City Chiefs had some merit, oddly enough, because KC has been relatively fortunate injury-wise, compared to vast majority of the NFL.  It is not a complaint; just an observation.  The subject has come up at times when I'm talking about football with my buddies (and for the record, I do not live in or near Buffalo, where the KC hatred runs deep, I live on the west coast).  When the playoffs come around, they just seem to be relatively healthy in contrast with their opponents, every time I can recall.  They may have had some injuries prior to that, but when it matters most, the key players seem to be available.  Just an observation.  Nothing to do with Buffalo or our misfortune; I definitely never said anything about that in this thread.

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

If you don't think that not having Tre White in a playoff game won't affect the outcome, you might want to give yourself a jab in the ribs while you're at it.

Not sure if this was updated after today's game, but I did find it interesting that Tre White has actually been targeted more than Benford so far this season.  Thought it would be the other way around.  White has given up 9 receptions on 14 targets.  Benford only 4 catches on 8 targets.   So Benford was actually being targeted less than White?  Found that interesting.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

If you don't think that not having Tre White in a playoff game won't affect the outcome, you might want to give yourself a jab in the ribs while you're at it.

Here we go…

The only player to undoubtedly affect the outcome of a game is Josh. All the talk I read on here is “quality depth this/that”. Tre is a great player but without him last year didn’t dictate the games we played… How is that any different if he’s unavailable in a playoff game this season? My point was people will run out and use this as a reference for another excuse if things don’t get done. 

But see the level you take it to, as a mod? Insane. 

No statement I said was a personal attack to the intended detriment of a reader. Yours? Not so much… Great moral standard to keep up there bud.

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

White really hasn't been the same since his previous season-ending injury.  We're not losing Pro Bowler White; we're losing the opportunity for White, in his second season back from that injury, to eventually turn into Pro Bowler White again later on in the season.  But that was no guarantee.  Sucks for him and us though.  Wish we could've played seen how it would've played out.

Hopefully some of the young corners make a leap.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think Von being activated this week is 50/50.  And agree he likely takes Tre roster spot, after IR.

Not sure there is a reason to "elevate" Ingram on gameday yet.  They've rolled with 3 outside corners each week, expect that to continue.

But I am high on Ingram developing into a "Dane" role (3rd corner type in the future).

He will get elevated to put in the inactive list. He takes Elams spot on inactive. McD will want to get one of those PS DBs into the game day routine 

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Or Poona Ford??  They've been keeping him active the past two Sundays over Ford so could see it going that way too.

Yeah could be DT as well. Kingsley admittedly has flashed more than Ford. But going with the POS. Von will make edge one to many. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Kingsley won’t clear waivers. Waive a depth OL or LB

minor complaint but I think Ford should be in the rotation above Tim Settle

Kingsley would be a risk as he has flashed when given snaps. I would be fine with Settle as well. Don’t think it will be a OL. Maybe a depth LBer (but they are used on Teams and Von won’t). 

thinking will be Kingsley and they will roll the dice. 

8 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

This is a possibility.

However, should we rely on our practice squad players to step up, or should we be looking to sign a veteran from somewhere else?

I am fine with Ingram taking the final DB on game day and likely inactive every week. 

now if another DB goes down look for a new addition and who knows maybe can find a 1 year Vet rental in a couple weeks before trade deadline that has McD past (for understanding of defense) before the end of the months Trade deadline. 

• Like (+1) 2

It's heart breaking to see White's anguish.  Great guy, and a great player who truly loves playing the game.

I'm guessing it's bad.  You can feel and hear a pop just from a calf tear like burrow has... but the training and medical staff can figure out generally how severe in a matter of seconds.  It seems everyone knew.  

I rehabbed from an acl tear.  It was a frustrating, time consuming process.  I couldn't imagine having another catastrophic injury after that and dealing with that mountain ahead.  Tre can do it though and he will be back in the nfl, hopefully with the bills.

I'm hoping everyone is wrong and it turns out to be a calf strain.  Sit him out for a few months and as good as new.

Bills players including Morse and Diggs are pleading for prayers for Tre White specifically in this situation.  Its the least we could do.

what a piece of ****  situation for him. I know its football b ut it Sucks. ROYAL

Edited by muppy

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Anybody know whether taking him on a cart tells us anything? I’ve often heard that you can walk on an Achilles tear. 

You can if your life was in danger.  What’s the point of creating more soft tissue damage though.  

23 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Bills fear it is an Achilles tear.  Usually when teams say that, it’s 99 percent sure it’s a tear.  He’s done for the year unfortunately.  

my husband ruptured  his playing soccer. The Dr's can manually manipulate and know very quickly if it is completely torn. His achilles hung on by what Dr's called a sheath. Basically by a thread. Anyway he had surgery and rehab afterwards. Nothing to the level of a professional athlete. I hate this for Tre. His season is over and so soon after the knee.

Edited by muppy

I’m hoping beyond hope it’s not in the territory of Aaron Rodgers injury. I watched it close on replay and didn’t see that same ripple effect up the back of Tre’s lower leg like we did for Rodgers. With saying that of course I’m not a doctor or know what the hell I am talking about. Maybe just a partial tear?

Just trying to be optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Is there any history of CB's with Achilles repairs?  I cannot think of any but it seems like Achilles is pretty important for a CB....as compared to say QB.

Deangelo Hall was the only example I could find. Tore it in game, recovered, and then tore it again 9 months later slipping in his house getting pizza. He then converted to safety...

I wonder if Beane makes a trade. We are sitting with a SB caliber D right now. Tre going down does not put us in jeopardy but having some good depth, or someone that can come in at the same level would be nice. I wonder who is out there? Beane was on the phone last night you can bank on that.

Benford and Dane are playing at a high level. 

40 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I wonder if Beane makes a trade. We are sitting with a SB caliber D right now. Tre going down does not put us in jeopardy but having some good depth, or someone that can come in at the same level would be nice. I wonder who is out there? Beane was on the phone last night you can bank on that.

Benford and Dane are playing at a high level. 

Honestly its too soon to do that.  Draft picks are too valuable.

More importantly who is going to trade a corner?  They are expensive and the really good ones come from high draft picks (usually)

Only teams who potentially are rebuilding or where everyone is getting fired might make a starting calber corner available.

I think one chance they could have at trading for a corner could come from NY. The Giants (IMO) are going to lose tonight to seattle and really are looking at a long season since the defense all of a sudden stinks this year.  So Adoree Jackson might be available as the season goes on, maybe after buffalo plays them in a few weeks.

The issue with jackson is if you trade for him he will count somewhere around 6.8 million.  I can't imagine any scenario where they do something like that unless the Giants pay his salary and the bills give a higher draft pick...like a 3rd, the compensatory 3rd from edmunds maybe

Can't see it happening though.

Edited by MikePJ76

Here are some veteran cornerbacks on various teams practice squads.

Sidney Jones (Bengals)

Daryl Worley  (Ravens)

Anthony Brown (Pittsburgh)

JoeJuan Williams (Minnesota)

Stantley Thomas Oliver (Carolina)

Shemar Jean Charles (San Francisco)

Artie Burns (Seattle)

of this list of guys who can just be signed to Buffalo's 53 Anthony Brown is the best player.  He has a ton of experience in big games/primetime games.  He can play outside and inside.  He is coming off a torn Achilles.  He is a lunch pal blue collar kind of guy and plays physical.  If his health is good he could help this team.   However Elam is obviously the guy who will play and the bills would have to release a player to get brown to the 53 so this is probably not going to happen.  If healthy though he is a decent player.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Deangelo Hall was the only example I could find. Tore it in game, recovered, and then tore it again 9 months later slipping in his house getting pizza.

I thought this was an unnecessary detail. But no, it was "getting a late night slice of pizza" from his fridge. A cautionary tale.

Seriously though, I think I was in the minority here I thinking that Tre had finally made in at all the way back. He took some flak here for supposedly taking his time in recover, but in retrospect he probably pushed it a little too hard last year. This season? I thought he was excellent. He obviously has the dedication to do it again if that's what he wants to do.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Sidney Jones (Bengals)

Daryl Worley  (Ravens)

Artie Burns (Seattle)

of this list of guys who can just be signed to Buffalo's 53 Anthony Brown is the best player.  He has a ton of experience in big games/primetime games.  He can play outside and inside.  He is coming off a torn Achilles.  He is a lunch pal blue collar kind of guy and plays physical.  If his health is good he could help this team.   However Elam is obviously the guy who will play and the bills would have to release a player to get brown to the 53 so this is probably not going to happen.  If healthy though he is a decent player.

Artie Burns.

What an awful name for a CB.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I am and was absolutely gutted for the guy. It was hard to watch on national TV. 

So sad, we watched a guy come to terms with the idea that he might have his entire career ripped away from him in front of millions of people. 

Tre is my favorite player since Bruce. I feel for the guy.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Best wishes for Tre, he's the kind of guy that does everything right so this is tough.

But (hate to say it) when he comes back, there's no way he's worth what they are paying him. Should the Bills part ways and go after a younger/better CB? I say yes

• Eyeroll 2

I tore an achilles playing football.  I very much had an Aaron Rodgers moment.  You know that hard ridge near the ankle on the back of your leg?  That is the achilles and there was a spot on it for me where it just wasn't there.  It was creepy weird to run your thumb along it and then you get to a spot where your thumb just sinks into your leg.

My point is that if he tore his achilles completely, then they knew on the field.  It is not a maybe diagnosis.  Maybe that explains Trey's reaction.  OTOH, if they knew on the field then why no announcement?

On the plus side, that was my third leg surgery and I was a pro at rehab by that point.  I was completely out of the boot and doing calf raises at 8 weeks.  I think it might actually be possible for him to be ready for the playoffs.

Here is to hoping it is just a partial tear and that Trey will not have more time to dedicate to his goalie academy.

I feel confident in Benford, Jackson and Elam, with McDermott coaching them up and this Defense.

However I absolutely feel gutted for Tre White.  It's hard to not wonder if that was the last time we saw him in a Bills uniform given the injury and his contract/cap savings this off-season.

Let's all hope we win a ring, of course, but also so if this is the last year we see Hyde, Poyer and White back there... they all go out Super Bowl Champions.   

Absolute legends that will forever be remembered by all of us. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Sidney Jones (Bengals)

Daryl Worley  (Ravens)

Artie Burns (Seattle)

Worley is interesting. Obvious ties to McDermott as he was drafted by the organization whilst he was their DC. Sure he has complete knowledge of his capabilities through and through. 

Believe Anthony Brown is in fact on the 9ers 53. Looks like he was a call up this past weekend for the Cards matchup. 

50 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Sidney Jones (Bengals)

Daryl Worley  (Ravens)

Artie Burns (Seattle)

i'd take a flyer on worley but not to our active roster.

he is from carolina and knows the similar defense.

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Worley is interesting. Obvious ties to McDermott as he was drafted by the organization whilst he was their DC. Sure he has complete knowledge of his capabilities through and through. 

Believe Anthony Brown is in fact on the 9ers 53. Looks like he was a call up this past weekend for the Cards matchup. 

Oops I didn't realize Brown had been signed to a 53.

Worley is pretty bad.

• Haha (+1) 1

IF it's a complete tear it isn't 100% impossible that he could play in the Super Bowl if we make it.

Cam Akers played RB 4.5 months after a tear. That's almost exactly the Super Bowl timeframe from yesterday.

I should also note the obvious: Cam Akers was practicing for a while before he actually played. It's not like he went from torn Achilles to right into the game as soon as it was feasible. 

SO, Tre could always be practicing for a few weeks during the playoffs which would be an enormous boost for both him and the team, even if he doesn't get into the game. 

Just saying that it has been done before. Every player is different, every body heals differently, and we don't know the exact injury yet. If a RB can do it and then play a major role for the Rams carrying the ball just a handful of months later it is possible.

Either way, he should be back to 100% next season for sure. It sucks now, no doubt, and you feel for the guy because he is a great human being as well as a great player. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.