Clock Management at end of 1st Half

Mark Vader

This was the only part of today's game that made me furious.

Yes, the 4th & inches passing play was incredibly dumb as well.

That being said, this is the second time this season that the Bills have done this right before halftime.

After creating a turnover in both the Jets & Commanders territory, and with all time outs for the Bills still available, they allowed the clock to run off a lot of time, and in the end the Bills end up settling for a field goal. BOTH TIMES!

Who is alright with this? Why are we not seeing urgency to move the ball and get us as close to the end zone as possible, instead of forcing Josh Allen to have to throw 20 yards plus to the end zone?

This is why we lost to the Jets, and I thought it was all a fluke, and we'd never see it again. Apparently, I was wrong.

Who is making these decisions? McDermott? Dorsey? This is unacceptable! The Bills need to play as if the game is tied. Instead, they looked like they didn't care.

The Bills cannot continue to do this. Does this make sense to anyone?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

Just now, Mark Vader said:

That being said, this is the second time this season that the Bills have done this right before halftime.

After creating a turnover in both the Jets & Commanders territory, and with all time outs for the Bills still available, they allowed the clock to run off a lot of time, and in the end the Bills end up settling for a field goal. BOTH TIMES!

Who is alright with this? Why are we not seeing urgency to move the ball and get us as close to the end zone as possible, instead of forcing Josh Allen to have to throw 20 yards plus to the end zone?

This is why we lost to the Jets, and I thought it was all a fluke, and we'd never see it again. Apparently, I was wrong.

Who is making these decisions? McDermott? Dorsey? This is unacceptable! The Bills need to play as if the game is tied. Instead, they looked like they didn't care.

They don’t want to leave enough time on the clock for the other team.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

They had plenty of time.  They had 3 TOs left & only ~20 yards of field (& like 35 seconds IIRC).  3 TOs allow you to run 3 plays in-bounds.  How much more time to you need?  Leave as little time on the clock as possible.  I think they handled it very well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I know today the Commanders were getting the ball first in the 2nd half; had the Jets also won the toss and deferred? That could help to explain the conservative clock management in both cases. Can't leave too much time in case your drive stalls, which then gives the opponent a chance to "double-up" their way back into the game.

I know the infamous Belichick "double-dip" thing was deferring the opening kickoff on the road, aggressively scoring on the final possession of the 1st half, then getting the ball to start the 2nd half when the stadium is quieter and they could operate more comfortably for a couple minutes as fans return from their final beer runs.

This Jets/Commanders clock management was intended to PREVENT getting "doubled-up" on while also extending the lead, however modestly. It's a good plan on the road, when you lose the coin toss. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It was set up perfect with the pass to Gabe, but he ran out of room by a foot.

Then why put yourself in that position? Wouldn't it be best to get as close as you can to the end zone, to set up many possibilities of scoring a touchdown?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Then why put yourself in that position? Wouldn't it be best to get as close as you can to the end zone, to set up many possibilities of scoring a touchdown?

I could have been handled different, I agree.  My point was, with that catch it would of made no difference.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I could have been handled different, I agree.  My point was, with that catch it would of made no difference.

Yes, it could have, and it was a great throw by Allen and Davis almost got the touchdown.

My point is that I do not want to rely on low percentage plays when it can be avoided, and it could have been.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

My biggest fear is McDermott still has not learn his lesson of how to manage and make smart coaching decisions. This was the reason he was beaten in the playoffs  by the Chiefs twice and Bengals last year. He cannot understand that a 6-5 cyborg he has as QB can just fall forward for a 1st down but instead elects to punt or kick field goals deep in opponent's territory on 4th and short.

No matter how aggressive he is every year, he will shrivel like a sniveling coward in the post season.

Edited by Joe Ferguson
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

It makes complete sense to me. It's clock management 101. You leave as little time as possible while still giving yourself every chance you can to score.

They kicked the field goal on 4th down. They didn't run out of time, they ran out of downs. How do you think using less clock would have been to the Bills' benefit?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

They don’t want to leave enough time on the clock for the other team.

And they are right to think that way. I didn't have much of a problem with it in the Jets game because I actually don't think the time cost them there.... if they had just executed the plays.... Josh missed Cook for a walk in touchdown. 

But yesterday was more perturbing. There was a minute left when Cook runs to the 22 for a first down. They had 3 time outs. I don't actually want them to call a time out there. I want them to let the clock run. But not to run right down to 36 seconds. Hustle up to the line, hand it off again, by that point the clock is at 45 or something and then you call timeout. Now you have two pass play attempts and if you get a first down you can call time out again. 

It was something they were really good at last year. It hasn't been great this year so far and is a mix of play calling, clock management and execution.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I didn't have a huge problem with it.  They just didn't execute.  First and 10 from their 22 with 36 seconds left and all three timeouts doesn't really limit the playbook.  Seemed like a timing issue between Josh and Hardy on first down with a favorable matchup with the LB.  Then Davis fails to get his foot in on the 2nd down play in the end zone.  The most annoying part was having to waste a timeout after that incompletion for whatever reason.  Maybe they wanted a review from upstairs and they didn't get it.  Even on third down if Harty runs that route two yards farther it's a first and 10 from the 12 with 2 timeouts left and 22 seconds.  Playbook is still wide open.  Again.  Just poor execution.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I didn't have a huge problem with it.  They just didn't execute.  First and 10 from their 22 with 36 seconds left and all three timeouts doesn't really limit the playbook.  Seemed like a timing issue between Josh and Hardy on first down with a favorable matchup with the LB.  Then Davis fails to get his foot in on the 2nd down play in the end zone.  The most annoying part was having to waste a timeout after that incompletion for whatever reason.  Maybe they wanted a review from upstairs and they didn't get it.  Even on third down if Harty runs that route two yards farther it's a first and 10 from the 12 with 2 timeouts left and 22 seconds.  Playbook is still wide open.  Again.  Just poor execution.

At the moment Hardy is less effective in those gimmick play situations than Lil' Dirty.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So I would have to go back and take a look at it again, but is it possible that the bills were running the clock out so that the opposing team wouldn’t have the ability to come back at them before the half?

Is it possible if they wanted to score points and they didn’t want to give time do the other team to go on offense

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At the moment Hardy is less effective in those gimmick play situations than Lil' Dirty.

Been really disappointed in Harti so farm

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It was set up perfect with the pass to Gabe, but he ran out of room by a foot.

DB was in perfect position, but that sideline catch is the difference between #1 WR money and #2 or #3.

Can't say his effort to defend the Fuller interception was that stellar either.

7 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

My biggest fear is McDermott still has not learn his lesson of how to manage and make smart coaching decisions. This was the reason he was beaten in the playoffs  by the Chiefs twice and Bengals last year. He cannot understand that a 6-5 cyborg he has as QB can just fall forward for a 1st down but instead elects to punt or kick field goals deep in opponent's territory on 4th and short.

No matter how aggressive he is every year, he will shrivel like a sniveling coward in the post season.

Wtf

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Why are you clouding this topic with actual analysis….We all know Mclappy stinks!

Sometimes it is actually right to be conservative, run the clock, take the points, and trust your defense. Not always, but sometimes.

Fans have this super aggressive mindset all the time, but if the offense came out slinging and turned the ball over with a minute left for the commanders to put a drive together, you'd be complaining about that too.

Seriously, there really is no way to win unless you drive for a quick TD every single time. There will always be those who complain that everything wasn't perfect and how they would have done things.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

The 3rd and 12 little out pass to Diggs behind the line of scrimmage in the second half when we were driving inside the Washington 35 and we got nothing on it was a terrible call as well.  It wasn't 3rd and 3.  Get our WR's down the field in that situation.  Bad call!!

And yes the 4th and inches pass was awful as well.  Need to clean those types of play calls up this week.  And stop running reverses to WR's.  It just doesn't work in the NFL anymore with the speed of defenses.  Its not college football.  

I also hope we can get Kincaid involved running vertically up the field.  I can not imagine we drafted him in the first round to catch 5 yard outs to the sideline.  

That all being said, the O line was tremendous yesterday against a pretty stout front 7.  Kudos to them.  If they keep that up, we will be very tough to beat.  And the TD pass from Josh to Gabe was a thing of beauty.  You can not run that play any better.  Tremendous by QB and WR!! 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gimmick plays usually work because they fell for the misdirection though.  So its more likely the play/playcall/timing than it is the player.  

3 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

The 3rd and 12 little out pass to Diggs behind the line of scrimmage in the second half when we were driving inside the Washington 35 and we got nothing on it was a terrible call as well.  It wasn't 3rd and 3.  Get our WR's down the field in that situation.  Bad call!!

And yes the 4th and inches pass was awful as well.  Need to clean those types of play calls up this week.  And stop running reverses to WR's.  It just doesn't work in the NFL anymore with the speed of defenses.  Its not college football.  

I also hope we can get Kincaid involved running vertically up the field.  I can not imagine we drafted him in the first round to catch 5 yard outs to the sideline.  

That all being said, the O line was tremendous yesterday against a pretty stout front 7.  Kudos to them.  If they keep that up, we will be very tough to beat.  And the TD pass from Josh to Gabe was a thing of beauty.  You can not run that play any better.  Tremendous by QB and WR!! 

1 - Probably an audible for a specific look/blitz that washington gave us.  

2 - Just run twice on 3rd and 1 and a half.  Reverses absolutely work still - just not when the end blows it up and forces you backwards.  

I thought the clock management was fine.  As others noted, the issue there was more about execution than clock management.  And besides, sometimes you just really need to make sure you come away with points, and if it's a FG that's fine.  Yesterday was one of those times IMO.  

I hated all the runs on 2nd-and-long and the pass on fourth-and-one, but given that we won the game I guess I don't mind having that film out there.

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It makes complete sense to me. It's clock management 101. You leave as little time as possible while still giving yourself every chance you can to score.

They kicked the field goal on 4th down. They didn't run out of time, they ran out of downs. How do you think using less clock would have been to the Bills' benefit?

It's about trying to use as many plays as possible and getting closer to the end zone so that you have multiple options of scoring a touchdown.

• Disagree 2

They wasted a out 15-20 seconds going a bit too slow after one of the completions. They slow played it so they used up all the clock. I think they could have run that one play maybe 10 sec earlier giving themselves a little more time incase they got a negative play or a first down by penalty gov8ng them a few more downs to try and get a TD. 

Otherwise it was fine. They had all three TOs and were in control of the clock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So I would have to go back and take a look at it again, but is it possible that the bills were running the clock out so that the opposing team wouldn’t have the ability to come back at them before the half?

Is it possible if they wanted to score points and they didn’t want to give time do the other team to go on offense

Been really disappointed in Harti so farm

Again, does that mean that we were afraid of what Sam Howell and the Commanders offense could do to us with 1 minute to go in the half?

When you have a chance to get a touchdown, you should do all you can to get it. That's what I'm saying.

They could have gone more up-tempo in that sequence and saved more time to get a touchdown.

The Bills had the potential to go up 20-0, but they put themselves in a position where it was difficult to do.

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Yawning Frog said:

the team won by 34 points what more do you want from them if this isn't good enough for you than go coach them yourself. 

Did you notice that the score was still 16-0 in the 4th quarter? That's still a two possession game.

When you have a chance to bury your opponent early, you do all you can to make it happen.

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.