Steelers vs Browns: MNF

MasterStrategist

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

At least we're not Browns fans.  Bills are 5th best odds to win the SB, just slightly below the top 4 and a decent bet at 100-1.  The Browns, 270-1 as I recall., and a bad bet.  This was before we watched their next awful QB and bad injuries.  Count your blessings Bills Mafia.

You’ve read the line incorrectly.

The Bills are 10-1 to win the SB, behind the top 4 starting @ 6.5-1. They were NEVER 100-1! EVER!

Browns are currently 28-1. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Speaking about Browns Board fans. The torches and pitchforks are out after last night! 😂

“***** Deshaun Watson: He sucks

***** Jimmy Haslam: sell the team

***** Andrew Berry: He's a moron

***** ShitMyPantski: He is a *****”

“Hello 6 wins.  Kev sucks.  Kareem hunt wont come to this shitshow.

230 million for a guy who spent 700 days away from the game and it shows.

Fleeced again.”

“I wish I knew what they should do at this point. I think our coaching staff is messing him up.  I remember seeing Watson as a very good young QB in Houston throwing the ball.  Stefanski has Dr Frankensteined this guy into the Sam Darnold that saw 13 Ghosts against New England as a NY Jet. “

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Those are two awful offenses. 

Neither can pass protect. Pickens is the only receiver from the two teams I think is any good at this stage. And both Quarterbacks are big play or nothing. Cleveland without Chubb can't make the playoffs. Steelers with that offense have no chance.

Yuck. 

Two excellent defenses mind you.

Amari Cooper is a nice receiver.  

The Defenses are elite so I am not going to jump to a conclusion about the offenses based on this match up.  

10 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Speaking about Browns Board fans. The torches and pitchforks are out after last night! 😂

“***** Deshaun Watson: He sucks

***** Jimmy Haslam: sell the team

***** Andrew Berry: He's a moron

***** ShitMyPantski: He is a *****”

I see no lies there!

• Agree 2

I gotta say, this board goes banana sandwich during bills games where the bills don't dominate (i do the same, i am the board) but the pithy comments and sarcasm when it's two teams we don't particularly care about make otherwise not so interesting games fun!

I dislike the browns, kinda hate the steelers, but the qb is from down the street from me, so i am generally curious about how he does.  he played vs us in buffalo last year, i think his first start, and had like 300 yards but in a game where he'd have lost if he had 500.

Must say I was surprised by Watson's play. What I remember was the guy he was in Houston - one of the top dual threat QBs in the league. All facets of his game appear to have uniformly deteriorated substantially. Maybe being away from the game for an extended period of time destroys a players ability to regain his form. Question then is whether he can recover or whether it's terminal. It spelled the end for Le'Veon Bell and it's got to be worse still for a player who has to execute with every snap and from whom so much is expected.

The real takeaway is regrettably a career threatening injury to one of the indisputably great players in the game. You could see early on that he was in top form and was really going to roll last night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Must say I was surprised by Watson's play. What I remember was the guy he was in Houston - one of the top dual threat QBs in the league. All facets of his game appear to have uniformly deteriorated substantially. Maybe being away from the game for an extended period of time destroys a players ability to regain his form. Question then is whether he can recover or whether it's terminal. It spelled the end for Le'Veon Bell and it's got to be worse still for a player who has to execute with every snap and from whom so much is expected.

The real takeaway is regrettably a career threatening injury to one of the indisputably great players in the game. You could see early on that he was in top form and was really going to roll last night.

I have to agree on Watson. I remembered him as a guy who could tuck it and run when necessary. Last night he looked like a guy where that was nowhere near being an option. 

Watson the scumbag out there playing like a scumbag.

Pulled 2 huge penalties for throwing guys down by their facemasks. And somehow avoided getting ejected even though he pushed a ref.

And then went on to of course blame the victims, in classic Watson fashion...

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/09/deshaun-watson-suggests-steelers-defenders-share-blame-for-facemask-penalties/

$250M fully guaranteed for a guy who just whines, plays dirty, and isnt even that good anymore. Classic Haslam.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I just peeked in on the Browns board this morning. I actually feel bad for them. First their team picked Baker Mayfield over Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. Then Baker Mayfield played well enough to give them hope before crashing back to earth. Then their owner, instead of letting Mayfield heal from a torn Labrum to see if an injury was the cause of his decline, decides to hitch the whole fan base to a scumbag. The fans now have to defend the scumbag, who then turns out to not be a good player any longer. And they have to watch this while Baker Mayfield is actually playing really well on another team. And I thought being a Bills fan was hard. 

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Agree 2

• Simon unpinned this topic
1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

I just peeked in on the Browns board this morning. I actually feel bad for them. First their team picked Baker Mayfield over Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. Then Baker Mayfield played well enough to give them hope before crashing back to earth. Then their owner, instead of letting Mayfield heal from a torn Labrum to see if an injury was the cause of his decline, decides to hitch the whole fan base to a scumbag. The fans now have to defend the scumbag, who then turns out to not be a good player any longer. And they have to watch this while Baker Mayfield is actually playing really well on another team. And I thought being a Bills fan was hard. 

I do feel bad for them.  I hate the organization but that doesn't include the fans....they're passionate.

If you want to go further, that Ravens team won the Super Bowl I think 4 years after being moved from Cleveland?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Watson the scumbag out there playing like a scumbag.

Pulled 2 huge penalties for throwing guys down by their facemasks. And somehow avoided getting ejected even though he pushed a ref.

And then went on to of course blame the victims, in classic Watson fashion...

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/09/deshaun-watson-suggests-steelers-defenders-share-blame-for-facemask-penalties/

$250M fully guaranteed for a guy who just whines, plays dirty, and isnt even that good anymore. Classic Haslam.

That was a very bad game from Watson.  It's fair to say that he lost the Browns the game.

Going back to last year Watson has played in 8 games and has 11 total TD's and 7 TO's.  This includes a pick 6 and a lost fumble run back for a TD. Right now it's a battle between Kyler Murrey & DeShaun Watson as to who is the least productive and most overpaid QB in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I do feel bad for them.  I hate the organization but that doesn't include the fans....they're passionate.

If you want to go further, that Ravens team won the Super Bowl I think 4 years after being moved from Cleveland?

Having to watch Art Modell and Browns legend Ozzie Newsom win in Baltimore would be more than I could take. Imagine Ralph had moved the team to Cleveland in 1998, hired Andre Reed as GM, and that team had won the SB in 2002?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That was a very bad game from Watson.  It's fair to say that he lost the Browns the game.

Going back to last year Watson has played in 8 games and has 11 total TD's and 7 TO's.  This includes a pick 6 and a lost fumble run back for a TD. Right now it's a battle between Kyler Murrey & DeShaun Watson as to who is the least productive and most overpaid QB in the NFL.

I don't think he has played a single good game since his return. I think this is just who he is now.

I think their oline was arguably even worse than their QB last night though. That is supposed to be the strength of their team on offense and it was brutal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Having to watch Art Modell and Browns legend Ozzie Newsom win in Baltimore would be more than I could take. Imagine Ralph had moved the team to Cleveland in 1998, hired Andre Reed as GM, and that team had won the SB in 2002?

...and since Paul Tagliabue was pissed the city got an expansion team, he put the knife in the Browns by putting the Ratbirds in that division. Double B word slap by the NFL to a great fanbase.

I'm reading this thread and I somewhat get why people are ragging on this game (mostly in the first half it seems?) -- but it's basically because of the 2 QB's (one who is spent, and the other is a backup on a good day)

That was an absolute brutal, physical, everyone-in-the-ice-bath type of game, a true war of attrition. They likely aren't playoff teams but those defenses played like the division was on the line in Week Freaking 2. We may have watched a guy end his career (he blew that same knee out in college). 

Nobody on that field thought that game was meaningless, that's for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrBob806 said:

...and since Paul Tagliabue was pissed the city got an expansion team, he put the knife in the Browns by putting the Ratbirds in that division. Double B word slap by the NFL to a great fanbase.

It’s like Bills fandom x100. We sat amongst a bunch of Browns fans at that game in Detroit and they’re just resigned to their fate. It was actually some really drunk 20-something Bills fans that caused any problems in our section. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Right now it's a battle between Kyler Murrey & DeShaun Watson as to who is the least productive and most overpaid QB in the NFL.

Russell Wilson obviously has slipped your mind.  He’ll be on the bench by the time they play the Bills.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, QCity said:

I'm reading this thread and I somewhat get why people are ragging on this game (mostly in the first half it seems?) -- but it's basically because of the 2 QB's (one who is spent, and the other is a backup on a good day)

That was an absolute brutal, physical, everyone-in-the-ice-bath type of game, a true war of attrition. They likely aren't playoff teams but those defenses played like the division was on the line in Week Freaking 2. We may have watched a guy end his career (he blew that same knee out in college). 

Nobody on that field thought that game was meaningless, that's for sure. 

It’s Browns Steelers. Those games are always heated. The division games in the AFC North are always really physical. But for a neutral fan, portions of that game were a comedy of errors.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Must say I was surprised by Watson's play. What I remember was the guy he was in Houston - one of the top dual threat QBs in the league. All facets of his game appear to have uniformly deteriorated substantially. Maybe being away from the game for an extended period of time destroys a players ability to regain his form. 

Watson got paid and is going to do the bare minimum. When it came out that his contract was fully guaranteed, I fully expected this

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

This is what I'm seeing:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-dan-orlovsky-blames-deshaun-watson-s-weight-gain-forgettable-return-football-2022

He just looks slow, and he seems to know it himself. The great improvisational plays aren't there anymore, and it's looking like they're not coming back.

(Couldn't happen to a nicer guy)

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The last 3 MNF games have had Damar Hamlin cardiac arrest, Aaron Rodgers torn achilles and Nick Chubb devastating knee injury.

And we also had Derek Carr and his eyeliner on National TV

17 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Will Burrow do this too? Seems like he already has been doing so. 😉

Burrow looks hurt to me. Him reaggravating that injury is really bad news for the Bengals

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he has played a single good game since his return. I think this is just who he is now.

I think their oline was arguably even worse than their QB last night though. That is supposed to be the strength of their team on offense and it was brutal.

Somewhat alarmingly for Browns fans, I think that game against Pittsburgh we just saw was the best game Watson has played since his return.

I think part of it is that Watson is simply not comfortable with or suited to Stefanski's system.  But part of it is that Watson just no longer looks like a driven guy who is willing to put in whatever work it takes or do whatever it takes to be great.  22 months or whatever it was, is a long gap to not play football.

Which is bad news for Stefanski because he's about to become the "escape goat".

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.