Cam Newton Started To Regress in Year 6

uticaclub

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it’s the most touchdowns over three years not five

Josh loses that competition by a wider margin. His "stat" is a bad faith argument that requires you to count the games Mahomes sat behind Smith before getting a chance to play. Once he saw the field, he's demolished Josh's numbers in nearly every category outside of rushing.

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Josh loses that competition by a wider margin. His "stat" is a bad faith argument that requires you to count the games Mahomes sat behind Smith before getting a chance to play. Once he saw the field, he's demolished Josh's numbers in nearly every category outside of rushing.

We’re just cherry picking at that point what you say is true about Mahommes, but the fact is over there first three years in the NFL in Josh Allen had more touchdowns they were on NFL rosters

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We’re just cherry picking at that point what you say is true about Mahommes, but the fact is over there first three years in the NFL in Josh Allen had more touchdowns they were on NFL rosters

it's not cherry picking at all. You're counting calendar time, when games they played in is what actually matters.

Allen threw for 67 TDS and rushed for 27 more in his first 43 games or 2.19 TD/game game
Mahomes threw for 108 TDs and rushed for 6 more in his first 46 games or 2.48 TD/game

17 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

it's not cherry picking at all. You're counting calendar time, when games they played in is what actually matters.

Allen threw for 67 TDS and rushed for 27 more in his first 43 games or 2.19 TD/game game
Mahomes threw for 108 TDs and rushed for 6 more in his first 46 games or 2.48 TD/game

I think it’s more of a technicality than cherry picking. If I remember Herbert has the most TD’s through the first two years because Mahomes sat his rookie year. And Allen owns the most TD’s through the first 5 seasons. Again, because Mahomes sat out. Both records are disingenuous imo. 

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It would be a shame to not have Josh play at a high level for at least 12 years. There are many factors contributing to this recent decline including coaching,  OL and Josh's own stubbornness.  Comparing him to Cam athletically is very accurate. This season will be critical to his future & longevity. But he must cooperate. 

There is nothing accurate about comparing Allen to Newton, honestly its just lazy.  They are in different leagues when it comes to passing.  

7 hours ago, 90sBills said:

I think it’s more of a technicality than cherry picking. If I remember Herbert has the most TD’s through the first two years because Mahomes sat his rookie year. And Allen owns the most TD’s through the first 5 seasons. Again, because Mahomes sat out. Both records are disingenuous imo. 

Yet all incredibly impressive 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

that's ridiculous and wrong. Mahomes blows him out of the water: 204 total TDs vs 176. It's practically an extra season worth of TDs.

Mahomes was in his system for a year before he even set foot on the field and had a ready made playoff team. 
Allen started his second game because they lost 47-3 to the Ravens opening day and pretty much tore the roster apart. 
They are not the same deal. 

11 hours ago, uticaclub said:

The quarterback who appears to be most comparable to Josh is early Cam Newton. Cam's performance began to decline in his sixth year, and now we find ourselves in a similar situation with Josh. As he enters his sixth year, it appears that his performance has deteriorated in every game since the Green Bay game last year. Will Allen be able to revive his career, or will he continue to experience a decline? This is a critical question that needs to be addressed.

I feel like the that was the game he showed to me anyway, something was off.  I haven't seen anything that resembles the 2021, and first 2 games of 2022 josh since.  I am not sure what needs to happen for this trend to reverse course, but clearly it's an issue.  It's hard to say something like this out loud around here due to all the hateful backlash you'll get, but you also can't pretend not to see it.

• Agree 1

man I have only been here for a few months but wow.

This place hates its quarterback.  Its shocking to see fans talk about a great player like this.

A lot of people here complain about espn and the media but they are absolutely no different.   Always with a short term view obsessing over vague rumors and utter nonsense.

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

man I have only been here for a few months but wow.

This place hates its quarterback.  Its shocking to see fans talk about a great player like this.

A lot of people here complain about espn and the media but they are absolutely no different.   Always with a short term view obsessing over vague rumors and utter nonsense.

No one hates Josh, we love him. That’s why we are concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, uticaclub said:

The quarterback who appears to be most comparable to Josh is early Cam Newton. Cam's performance began to decline in his sixth year, and now we find ourselves in a similar situation with Josh. As he enters his sixth year, it appears that his performance has deteriorated in every game since the Green Bay game last year. Will Allen be able to revive his career, or will he continue to experience a decline? This is a critical question that needs to be addressed.

Let this bolded line sink in. 

Cam is the closest comparison to Josh. So it would is a valid data point to track. I would say what is relevant is when Cam’s body starting to breaking down, when teams adjusted, etc. The hope is Josh masters the QB position so he can still be great when his running threat diminishes. Unless Josh is on some magic pills that day will come when his legs slow down or his will have an injury that accelerates that. Cam had the double whammy of losing his legs and his arm. 

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

no one has the balls to mention Peterman never had a regression after 6 years. we made a mistake with Josh.

I was just thinking we should reach out to the Bears and offer them a pair of first round picks and see if they are willing to part with Big Nate!

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Cam is the closest comparison to Josh. So it would is a valid data point to track. I would say what is relevant is when Cam’s body starting to breaking down, when teams adjusted, etc. The hope is Josh masters the QB position so he can still be great when his running threat diminishes. Unless Josh is on some magic pills that day will come when his legs slow down or his will have an injury that accelerates that. Cam had the double whammy of losing his legs and his arm. 

As many other pointed out, Cam was absolutely pummeled in those six years of play that it lead to a breakdown in his physical well being.  Do people not remember him going to the media complaining about the number of late hits he took and how refs turned a blind eye to it (he had a case...reffing was terrible then).

Josh's issues are between his ears. His body is ok for now (he has to stop taking hits on runs though)

The Cam Newton comparisons get tiresome after a while, I understand why they are made but realistically other then size and they both are/were beastly runners they are vastly different passers:

Josh since 2019 on has had a completion percentage of 63.65%, for his career he gas a 62.6% percentage, he has passed for over 4000 yards in 16 games the last three seasons while averaging in the air 35 TDs a year also.

Cams career completion percentage is 59.9% with a total of four years above 60% but two of those being his NE season and 2nd to last year in Carolina. The only year he passed for more then 4000 yards was his rookie year and only once threw for more then 30 TDs (35 in 2015) with his next best outing being 24 TDs twice. Even if you want to bring the rushing side in Cam's first 5 years he had 43 TDs and averaged 641 a year whereas Josh in his first 5 years had 38 TDs and an average of 514 yards a season.

I was a huge Cam fan and he was an incredibly dynamic weapon whose career got derailed by injuries. He was a decent to good passer but he never has had a season comparable in the air to what Allen has done in the last three years which is partly why Allen has elevated into the top 3-5 passing QB discussion. Even if Josh were to regress to a version somewhere between 2019-2020 his passing stats still would be far better then Cam's and he still would be a top 10 passer. 

Fundamentally they are very different players outside of physical characteristics. If there was a comparison I would say Michael Vick 2010 in a body like Cam/Big Ben where he can beat you with ease with his legs, but that season Vick finally maximized his passing to a level where he was lethal all over the field.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.