Josh has lost confidence… reasons why.

Toledo Bill

On to something. Is just scared to stand in the pocket and take a hit? That is much different than initiating contact when running the ball. Maybe that plays a role in why it seemed he was looking for contact. Denial he is playing scared, hey I’m hitting guys so I’m not scared. Di

There’s nobody to reign him in and lash out since daboll left. Everyone is catering to him. I feel like he’s lost confidence as well, and it’s been going on for a while. What has he learned? He constantly takes hits that he shouldn’t take. Plenty of times he could’ve just slid and chooses to get pummeled. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

There’s nobody to rein him in and lash out since daboll left. Everyone is catering to him. I feel like he’s lost confidence as well, and it’s been going on for a while. What has he learned? He constantly takes hits that he shouldn’t take. Plenty of times he could’ve just slid and chooses to get pummeled. 

Maybe Palmer could. Maybe we can get that guy involved somehow. He seemed to help a lot early on.

Back in 2020, Josh changed up his footwork on intermediate and deep throws. Almost reminiscent of how Rodgers throws sometimes, with his right foot coming parallel to the line of scrimmage as he's throwing. I noticed Jordan Love did it a few times this past Sunday as well. Allen was deadly accurate when he would throw like that. It took some velocity off of his throws, but that is perfectly fine for a guy with a big arm like his. 

Does anyone remember what I'm referring to? I wonder what happened and why anyone would have had him change his footwork again when that worked so well. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There is a Jet 15 yards away coming at Allen but he’s pretty good 1v1. He doesn’t run here. Throws back deep to Diggs and gets picked.

Why didn't he just slide for the first down?  That was the play that to me, portended to a very long night.  You take the money in the bank not pass and get picked.  Little did I realize that those 3 points at minimum would be the game.  Josh is not giving his all.  He wants hero ball.  

IMG_3233.jpeg

Edited by Reverse Meathead

2 of Allen’s 3 interceptions came while forcing the ball to Diggs downfield.

Of course Allen has to know not to do that, but I can’t help but wonder if Diggs non-stop chirping has led to Allen feeling like he must feed him.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and i’m sure this opinion won’t be popular, but I believe it’s clear that we should have kept our first round pick and used it on Jefferson, rather than trading for Diggs.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The line is better than last year.  They held up OK against a great D line last night overall.  Dorsey made some head scratching calls, but Josh had guys open and didn’t take the easy throw.  And I don’t think defenses have figured things out.

Last night Josh just sucked.  Too much hero ball.  He needs to take what’s there, and last night he didn’t.

Someone needs to be on Josh's a** during team meetings whether that is Dorsey, McDermott etc... He has been given too much leeway to improvise and it is coming back to bite the team. Guy like Josh needs to be coached hard. Think it would benefit Josh for Dorsey to be on the sideline with him during games. They need a lot of work on their quick passing offense against teams like the Jets with a physical front.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Of course Allen has to know not to do that, but I can’t help but wonder if Diggs non-stop chirping has led to Allen feeling like he must feed him.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and i’m sure this opinion won’t be popular, but I believe it’s clear that we should have kept our first round pick and used it on Jefferson, rather than trading for Diggs.

Yes I agree.  It has to be.  If I were Josh I would go to Diggs and say, look bruh, receivers are a dime a dozen in the NFl.  You don't like me, take a walk or shut up.  This is my team.. You're either a part of it or not, but you cannot be the whole team.  

Edited by Reverse Meathead
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

would Jefferson had been there for our pick?

I think it’s all psychological with him. The stage was too big for Josh last night and when that happens he panics, the game is too fast for him. 

Did you notice how Josh just sat there on the sidelines with the crazy eyes deer in head lights look? Not talking to the coaches, looking at a tablet, etc. He just seemed like he was out on an island and the pressure just continued to build as the game went on.

Tom Brady would always be looking at the tablet to review plays, talk with other players, talk to the coaches up in the booth, and was engaged in the game. No matter what the situation Brady always seemed to have that look of “just give me the ball and we’ll get this done.” Last night, Josh didn’t look like he wanted to be there. The eyes said it all.

I don’t know what’s happened to the kid but he’s regressed significantly and he appears to be totally out of sync with the game around him. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I felt something wrong when we settled for 3 at the end of the first half.  The offense was not in sync, the only thing reliable was Diggs.  

Look, that defense we played last night probably is the best in the league.  And we still had them.  We just couldn’t stay disciplined.  Too many dumb mistakes at quarterback.  He seems like a great, fun, kind guy, and he’s a really, really good football player.  He’s just not a terribly disciplined person from what I can tell, and it shows on the field.  Whether it’s dumb interceptions, fumbling a snap, a pointless hurdle, trying to run over a defender at a non-critical time (admirable qualities, to be sure, but not smart in the context of the time in which the actions were taken), he’s just not a very disciplined player.  At this point, it is what it is.  Maybe we get a “Favre” Super Bowl where everything goes our way in a given year.  Or maybe we don’t.  Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, Dubie54 said:

I think it’s all psychological with him. The stage was too big for Josh last night and when that happens he panics, the game is too fast for him. 

Did you notice how Josh just sat there on the sidelines with the crazy eyes deer in head lights look? Not talking to the coaches, looking at a tablet, etc. He just seemed like he was out on an island and the pressure just continued to build as the game went on.

Tom Brady would always be looking at the tablet to review plays, talk with other players, talk to the coaches up in the booth, and was engaged in the game. No matter what the situation Brady always seemed to have that look of “just give me the ball and we’ll get this done.” Last night, Josh didn’t look like he wanted to be there. The eyes said it all.

I don’t know what’s happened to the kid but he’s regressed significantly and he appears to be totally out of sync with the game around him. 

Then why didn't the coaches look to engage? In the end, it took Diggs to go over and gee him up. Where was Joe Brady?

When Daboll was OC, Dorsey was on the touchline. I think he needs to return there to be face to face with Josh. If that means Brady to the booth to spot patterns of play to report back to Dorsey so be it.

• Agree 1

Hate to pile on but here goes. What I see is the constant look of fear in Allen's eyes. He doesn't look confident. He looks confused at best, fearful at worst. Or the look in his eyes betrays that there's not much going on upstairs. Replacing Spencer Brown might help. About the ill-advised long throws to Whitehead...I see it time and again that there are open, sometimes wide open receivers underneath but Allen doesn't see them or isn't looking at them. I think he has a problem with peripheral vision. I just don't think he sees all that well. Maybe concussions play into that too. Allen's long balls aren't accurate either. He seems to zip everything in, as opposed to putting a soft arc on it to lead his receivers like on the Cook pass that should have been a TD.

Another is scheme. I want a power running game and mixing juice in, not the opposite. I don't think Cook is a lead back. For so many years the running game (except for Josh) has been an afterthought.  It's time we get a professional Offensive Coordinator with experience to get more of a balanced attack. Dorsey is not it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Lol if anything he has too much and when things go bad he just gets down.  

But I’ve only noticed that against this Jets d for whatever reason.   

Remember the first UCL injury against the Texans where McD went over to the bench and basically told him to stop pouting and to get up and lead?  I thought of that last night.  He seems like a super nice kid, but sometimes guys like that are too hard on themselves and need to get over “it” faster. 

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Then why didn't the coaches look to engage? In the end, it took Diggs to go over and gee him up. Where was Joe Brady?

When Daboll was OC, Dorsey was on the touchline. I think he needs to return there to be face to face with Josh. If that means Brady to the booth to spot patterns of play to report back to Dorsey so be it.

I do think he needs someone to tell him “no.”  I’m around a lot of people who don’t hear it enough.  It can be a bad thing.  To my understanding Daboll, for example, didn’t give an F about anyone’s feelings and was perfectly capable of saying the word.  Somebody has to be the heavy and break the bad habits.  

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The line is better than last year.  They held up OK against a great D line last night overall.  Dorsey made some head scratching calls, but Josh had guys open and didn’t take the easy throw.  And I don’t think defenses have figured things out.

Last night Josh just sucked.  Too much hero ball.  He needs to take what’s there, and last night he didn’t.

Three different QB’s played last night, and Josh is the one who decided the game. The farther removed from Daboll he gets, the more concerned I get. His tools haven’t changed, but he needs to settle down between the ears. 

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Remember the first UCL injury against the Texans where McD went over to the bench and basically told him to stop pouting and to get up and lead?  I thought of that last night.  He seems like a super nice kid, but sometimes guys like that are too hard on themselves and need to get over “it” faster. 

I do think he needs someone to tell him “no.”  I’m around a lot of people who don’t hear it enough.  It can be a bad thing.  To my understanding Daboll, for example, didn’t give an F about anyone’s feelings and was perfectly capable of saying the word.  Somebody has to be the heavy and break the bad habits.  

It's not just saying 'No', it's the way it's said as well. I'm pretty sure McDermott laid the law down to Josh after that ridiculous hurdle in the 2nd Quarter but, instead of getting him into line, it seemed to lead to a full meltdown. Daboll, for the most part, seemed to know how to get through to Josh though he still had awful games under him. Do the Bills have anyone on the coaching staff able to have the requisite impact?

Over the years, I've heard Joe Marino from Locked on Bills reference Josh Allen's loose training regimen and unhealthy eating habits. He's said something to the effect of "it's fine when he's young and winning, but it could come back to haunt him later on." It's safe to say that Josh needs a new offseason training regimen. After an offseason of selling his name and likeness to anyone who would buy, it is supremely disappointing to see him soil his bedclothes on national television. He did not perform like someone who was dialed in to a week of game prep, much less an offseason of working on his shortcomings like, oh I don't know, fumbling the ball and throwing to opposing players. 

This is getting old. At a certain point "it's my fault," after being said repeatedly means less and less.

1200x0.jpg

I don't demand that he give up his life/marriage/carbs/nightshades like Tom Brady. I'd just appreciate at least equal effort as his marketing team. 

Edited by benderbender
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

He needs/needed a humble pie, hopefully he got that yesterday.

I disagree though, he is a leader, it was one of his worst days.....let’s  not judge him completely on his worst day.

I thought he was humbled in the Cincy game. He said all the right things afterwards. He promised to be committed to the game in the offseason. Then did this in his first game against a team that lost its savior and was waiting to be finished off. How much more humbling does he need?

2 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Over the years, I've heard Joe Marino from Locked on Bills reference Josh Allen's loose training regimen and unhealthy eating habits. He's said something to the effect of "it's fine when he's young and winning, but it could come back to haunt him later on." It's safe to say that Josh needs a new offseason training regimen. After an offseason of selling his name and likeness to anyone who would buy, it is supremely disappointing to see him soil his bedclothes on national television. He did not perform like someone who was dialed in to a week of game prep, much less an offseason of working on his shortcomings like, oh I don't know, fumbling the ball and throwing to opposing players. 

This is getting old. At a certain point "it's my fault," after being said repeatedly means less and less.

1200x0.jpg

I don't demand that he give up his life/marriage/carbs/nightshades like Tom Brady. I'd just appreciate at least equal effort as his marketing team. 

Have to admit, it does grate when players start promoting themselves before they've even won a ring. Mayfield did the same and got understandably ridiculed for it, especially when his form started to slide. And sure enough...

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The thing is, we have been saying this for several years now.  Josh is never going to break himself of this; if he was, he would have done it by now.

Of the elite QBs in the league right now, he is by far the most inconsistent.  You don't know what you're going to get game to game.

• Like (+1) 1

Why was Josh hiding in the bushes during that Sunday ticket commercial? Would a confident guy do that? I say no

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The thing is, we have been saying this for several years now.  Josh is never going to break himself of this; if he was, he would have done it by now.

Of the elite QBs in the league right now, he is by far the most inconsistent.  You don't know what you're going to get game to game.

That last part is 100% true. Allen will always be a roller coaster and you gotta accept the bad because a lot of great comes from it as well. 

but a little less hero ball, taking check downs, and not jumping up in the air when you’re 5 yards from the first down could go a long way. 

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Have to admit, it does grate when players start promoting themselves before they've even won a ring. Mayfield did the same and got understandably ridiculed for it, especially when his form started to slide. And sure enough...

So they are supposed to turn down endorsements and money? What if they get hurt and never get another chance to make that money?

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why was Josh hiding in the bushes during that Sunday ticket commercial? Would a confident guy do that? I say no

That last part is 100% true. Allen will always be a roller coaster and you gotta accept the bad because a lot of great comes from it as well. 

but a little less hero ball, taking check downs, and not jumping up in the air when you’re 5 yards from the first down could go a long way. 

So they are supposed to turn down endorsements and money? What if they get hurt and never get another chance to make that money?

Up to the end of 2022, Josh had earned $85m according to Spotrac. He's hardly on the poverty line without the extra cash.

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Bills should have a pre-recorded post game interview for when Josh plays bad. It's always the same thing...

"I need to play smart and learn to limit my mistakes and take what the defense gives me and be smart with my body and not take those hits. The best ability is availability!"

Derp. Thanks Josh.

How about the media does their job and we actually ask the TOUGH QUESTIONS?:

So how are you going to actually FIX these things? Are you going to study this film and make adjustments?

"I don't watch a lot of tape, the teams play us different and I want to be able to react."

That doesn't sound like a good idea Josh. Surely you will be taking care of your body so you are available for your team.

"I'm not a big workout guy. I like to give my body time to recover and that's what works best for me."

Uhhhhh Josh, this doesn't sound good. I hope you will be eating well and getting some good sleep.

"My favorite wings are Bar Bill. I'm a big fastfood guy, love Chick-fil-A. I'm a whisky guy." (You were hammered last night - Kyle Allen) "I can neither confirm nor deny."

Josh, it sounds like you are doing absolutely nothing right and just relying on your athleticism to run around and make wild plays and you throw the ball up into danger and take big hits. I don't think you are taking this seriously.

"Ok...."

josh-allen-ok.gif

Disappointingly spot on.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, benderbender said:

1200x0.jpg

I still can't get over how amateurish and 30 years behind the times the NFL is in terms of fitness/nutrition for its players.

It's a total bush league operation for most the league.

The Bills should have a team of nutritionists/fitness guys working 1-on-1 with EVERY player on the roster, with custom developed work out concepts and importantly---DIETS.

I can't believe they just ignore what these guys eat, how they eat it, and when they eat it.

Hell, the NHL was ahead of that stuff 50 years ago with team pasta meals in the afternoon on game days.  Turns into an energy dump during the game hours later.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So he shouldn’t try to get more money until he wins a SB? He’s filming Verizon commercials not Castaway where he has to lose 100 lbs.

If he wants to, then fine. But if his games disintegrates then fingers will be pointed. Mayfield could have told him that.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There is a Jet 15 yards away coming at Allen but he’s pretty good 1v1. He doesn’t run here. Throws back deep to Diggs and gets picked.

IMG_3233.jpeg

I was a huge advocate for Josh becoming more of a pocket passer. Now I wonder if he needs that to be a successful passer. I know he ran some last night, but not the same as years past. I worry that part of his game has been taken away, and he can’t be the same without it. I think a running Josh wins the game last night. 

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I still can't get over how amateurish and 30 years behind the times the NFL is in terms of fitness/nutrition for its players.

The Bills should have a team of nutritionists/fitness guys working 1-on-1 with EVERY player on the roster, with custom developed work out concepts and importantly---DIETS.

I can't believe they just ignore what these guys eat, how they eat it, and when they eat it.

Hell, the NHL was ahead of that stuff 50 years ago with team pasta meals in the afternoon on game days.  Turns into an energy dump during the game hours later.

Amateurish and 30 years behind with fitness and nutrition?

Why are players bigger, stronger and faster today than 30 years ago?  

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The Bills sports science team is world class. But to your point the rest of the sport is much much much worse. The issue in football is the dumb jock football mentality. 

I was just having a conversation from somebody who used to work with the Dutch Olympic Committee, there’s some change in race distances for LA28 and they’re already starting to test their Paris athletes to see if they’ll fit their profile. Their physiologists play a very major role (50/50) with the coaching staff in they scheduling. Football as a whole sucks at this. They rely on their S&C team for too much, which is different all together. I doubt that the Bills physiologist controls 50% of their lifting schedule, let alone practice schedule. But the Bills have taken a great first step in bringing world class individuals in house. 

Tom Brady set the world on fire by treating his body like dozens of other Olympic sports do and the sport continues to mock him. But there are thousands of athletes all over the world doing the same thing and they just call it a Tuesday because they’re locked in at what they do. 

16 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I was a huge advocate for Josh becoming more of a pocket passer. Now I wonder if he needs that to be a successful passer. I know he ran some last night, but not the same as years past. I worry that part of his game has been taken away, and he can’t be the same without it. I think a running Josh wins the game last night. 

I don’t think Josh was seeing the game well last night because of the Jets. There was one  play I thought he hurt himself. He took off right away thinking the DL parted but they actually did a stunt and Allen ran right into the stunting DE.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.