The Josh Allen excuse thread…

Dopey

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's a team game, but this one is 100% on Josh. It kills me to say it

Unfortunately for us fans, Josh has shown himself to be undisciplined, and does not appear to being anything to change that at this point, 

1 minute ago, ticketssince61 said:

There was nowhere for Cook to run - those delayed draws right into a clogged line of scrimmage were ridiculous. The one time they had a pitch out he got outside and  had a nice gain

He's not a run between the tackles type of RB. Breece, JT28, they know how to make themselves skinny through the holes and make yardage. Cook is run to daylight type of RB

Just now, metbill said:

Josh is done, he cant win an important game, how many rimes do we have to see the same thong, Allen turnover, when it counts?!?!?  He is a mediocre QB at best, with a crappy coaching staff to pull him thru, no hope. I dont think we will make the playoffs, he looked awful, TOTAL REGRESSION!

“Mediocre QB at best….”

Good lord some of these overreactions after a game.

Josh allen voted a top 10 player in this league by the players, but no you’re right…

Hes around the 17-22nd best QB in this league 🙄

1 minute ago, ticketssince61 said:

There was nowhere for Cook to run - those delayed draws right into a clogged line of scrimmage were ridiculous. The one time they had a pitch out he got outside and  had a nice gain

The delayed draw was an absolute horrible scheme.  What is Dorsey thinking.  Put Cook behind Josh and give him a running start. Gabe runs lazy routes. Diggs can't do it all. Knox, Harty & Sherfield were invisible. The playbook is ass and Josh's play is regressing. 

Just now, Norcalbillsfan said:

Dorsey had a better run game tonight for Allen than I've seen in awhile. Dorsey had some bad calls, but we all saw the TEs and diggs open on those picks. And dorsey didn't call the game tieing fumble by Allen. Allen had guys open tonight and decent run game established. Josh just didn't see the field at all against an elite defense.

15 non Allen carriers for 57 yards.  

The problem was design; nothing surprised the Jets; and we didn’t run enough.   

For me this started when teams stopped giving him the sideline. He will get it once in awhile. But it’s not like it was in 2020-2021. So much of what Allen does was built off improvisation. Likely even better than Mahomes, but teams really focus on taking that away by spying him, slow rushing, boxing him in, playing loose coverage. He’s struggling more in these positions and teams know he will make mistakes if you consistently make him nickle and dime you. 

He isn’t consistent when just being Johnny QB. He can’t just be Johnny QB. Favre couldn't either. He will have moments. It might even seem like he’s changed, but it will come back again. 

With this, let’s also not forget that Favre has a ring and is a HOF QB. Allen is still basically our entire team right now. We will live and die with these ups and downs. I suppose we prey he can eventually break these trends. IMO it might require a more cerebral coach. Daboll seemed to understand how to manage this. But perhaps Allen had less freedom then, perhaps he was working more to control it as a “dumb” rookie vs a NFL star.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

15 non Allen carriers for 57 yards.  

The problem was design; nothing surprised the Jets; and we didn’t run enough.   

True, it wasn't a dominant run game for yards but I don't feel like the jets shut the run game down tonight.

I probably mis phrased that, the run game itself wasn't great, but I felt we got production out of the backfield tonight.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

a) he’s capable and has done it a bunch

b) is the OC somehow totally detached from preparing his QB? That’s not Dorsey’s job at all here? 

He designs plays. Josh chose to play hero ball like he’s in HS. He did with BD and has done it with Dorsey. You think for 6 years the coaches haven’t told him to take what they give you ? Particularly against the Jets. When underneath quick throws is the best option. Not on Dorsey alone. It’s on the entire senior leadership of this team. McClappy and Beane. I’ve been the biggest JA fan since day one. But we have all seen this movie before. This team depends on him taking responsibility and changing. He will say all the right things. But his actions don’t align. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

“Mediocre QB at best….”

Good lord some of these overreactions after a game.

Josh allen voted a top 10 player in this league by the players, but no you’re right…

Hes around the 17-22nd best QB in this league 🙄

Talent wise you are 100% correct.  Lots of talented people in lots of fields have let fame and fortune take the place of the hard work that got them into a position to have it.  Allen has done that.  It’s obvious.  He has to pull his head out.  People have done it.  Is he willing to do it?

I guess this is the Josh Allen venting thread, but for excuses (in no particular order):

1) Special teams gave up a punt return TD in OT

2) O-line sucked

3) Offensive playcalling was awful

4) Our defense (again) allowed Zach Wilson to look like a serviceable NFL QB

5) The first INT was better than a punt on 3rd and long, and the 3rd INT was equally to blame on Davis

6) Garret Wilson with (another) catch of the year allowed by Bills 

7) The Jets are his kryptonite. Kinda like Burrow vs Browns or Mahomes vs Colts

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

Someone gets it.  

Josh isn't going to gunsling this team to a Lombardi.

You can give him a dominant run game if you like.... but if his decision making on pass plays is as bad as tonight you could have Barry Sanders and Jim Brown behind him and we'd be going nowhere. 

We didn't lose tonight because we lacked a run game. Cook ran reasonably well. We lost because our Quarterback made terrible decisions throwing the football.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Talent wise you are 100% correct.  Lots of talented people in lots of fields have let fame and fortune take the place of the hard work that got them into a position to have it.  Allen has done that.  It’s obvious.  He has to pull his head out.  People have done it.  Is he willing to do it?

He had a horrible game there’s no doubt.

NFL is a very long season though.

Burrow also had an atrocious game, I don’t see bengal fans calling for his head 

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Too much shotgun, not enough play action 

against the jet’s defence which has a great pass rush..

It makes absolutely no sense to me

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

He designs plays. Josh chose to play hero ball like he’s in HS. He did with BD and has done it with Dorsey. You think for 6 years the coaches haven’t told him to take what they give you ? Particularly against the Jets. When underneath quick throws is the best option. Not on Dorsey alone. It’s on the entire senior leadership of this team. McClappy and Beane. I’ve been the biggest JA fan since day one. But we have all seen this movie before. This team depends on him taking responsibility and changing. He will say all the right things. But his actions don’t align. 

He designs plays 

he is the guy in his ear on the field

he is the guy calling plays 

he is the guy not in his ear on the sideline. 

I’ll say I do wonder if Josh has the right setup around him on the sideline. So often they pan to him alone and staring into space when things go bad. 

• Agree 1

He is what he is at this point.  Immense physical talent who probably doesn’t have it upstairs.  The offense has to be dumbed down for him.  Power running game with play action.  He has too much freedom for being a turnover machine.  And the hits he takes for no reason are absolutely head-scratching.  Turn him into a better version of Tannehill.  He ain’t never gonna be Mahomes or Burrow.  0-5 in overtime.  

10 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Which point do you disagree with? Yes, he had a bad game, but it is a good defense too. Josh was taking what was given to him in the 1st half and got antsy in the 2nd half. Especially that 3rd and 2 where we threw for like 12 yards incompletion. 

Either way, the turnovers were bad but there are certainly explanations on why a DB was able to get the jump on a route for instance. If Davis makes any type of move to freeze the DB, that DB is not going to jump the route. Instead he just runs straight then cuts for the pass.

The first int he threw a ridiculous high school pass. Ended up being a great punt but it wasn’t his intension. On the Davis int he has Kincaid on a five yard out for the first down. That’s taking what they give you. But let’s blame everyone but him.. 

Just now, Peace Frog said:

If Josh has time to bang an actress and make TV commercials, he's got time to watch more game film. This loss is 90% on him.

Yea not watching film he's getting confused by what he sees on the defense.  Police study your opponents even if they will play you differently than tape of similar plays, but there's only so much deviation in how a player plays so learn theirwill be better than his deer in headlights tods tendencies so you have a general idea of how they are fenders more accurately cause he didn't look like he knew  gonna attack. Even if they make slight changes it will let him do a better job of reading the  defenders  cause he looked lik8e he didn't know squat on how to attack the jets defense.

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

He had a horrible game there’s no doubt.

NFL is a very long season though.

Burrow also had an atrocious game, I don’t see bengal fans calling for his head 

against the jet’s defence which has a great pass rush..

It makes absolutely no sense to me

I’m not calling for his head.  I’m calling for him to pull his head of where it currently resides.  Honestly I don’t think he will do it on his own.  He needs an intervention from coaches, team and maybe parents to forget the Hollywood crap until he has won something.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not calling for his head.  I’m calling for him to pull his head of where it currently resides.  Honestly I don’t think he will do it on his own.  He needs an intervention from coaches, team and maybe parents to forget the Hollywood crap until he has won something.

For sure, I didn’t mean you.

I meant some of the reactions around here

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He designs plays 

I’ll say I do wonder if Josh has the right setup around him on the sideline. So often they pan to him alone and staring into space when things go bad. 

The set up in the sideline has nothing to do with. He makes decisions that his coaches implore him not to make. And he doesn’t care.  He’s Josh Allen and he is an action hero! 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He designs plays 

Lol excuses for Mr. Hollywood.  Blame everyone else and his “support system”.  It’s a joke.  Pull his head out of his butt.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You can give him a dominant run game if you like.... but if his decision making on pass plays is as bad as tonight you could have Barry Sanders and Jim Brown behind him and we'd be going nowhere. 

We didn't lose tonight because we lacked a run game. Cook ran reasonably well. We lost because our Quarterback made terrible decisions throwing the football.

6th season and this is now beyond concerning as it is carrying over from last season. This feels like it is a continuing trend and I'm not sure how it gets corrected. When we play the crap teams, this will fade into the background, but this is a big big issue. Josh can say it's his fault, but yet the results are the same...

It's worrying

Edit - Sorry for the shite writing, I'm pissed

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

The first int he threw a ridiculous high school pass. Ended up being a great punt but it wasn’t his intension. On the Davis int he has Kincaid on a five yard out for the first down. That’s taking what they give you. But let’s blame everyone but him.. 

Thats fine and he should have saw that, but it doesn't change the fact that Davis can run a better route and prevent an INT and have a sizable gain. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.