2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

Unless there's some changes from Dorsey, this offense look the samw or worse as last season.

josh has made something poor decisions, but I've seen nothing from Dorsey to shower me he's found the ability to adapt to what the defense gives him at all.

Dorsey seemingly cannot, or will not, control or calm Josh, and that is a huge problem.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeh and he just to the lions at home who are the 20th rated defense in the league 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Again, is that supposed to mean something?  Is that the extent of your analysis?😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Just now, HurlyBurly51 said:

Again, is that supposed to mean something?  Is that the extent of your analysis?😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Yeh he lost to the lions at home 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

22 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You don’t want to go back to life before Allen when they where calling Kyle Orton out of retirement 

For sure. I appreciate having Allen in a Bills uniform. Just seems like he falls short too often in big games. His turnovers are really bothersome. He wasn't elite or franchise tonight. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloSufferer said:

Dorsey and McDermott have to go. Won’t happen during the season unfortunately so they will be drag us down once again and this year will be wasted. Both useless.

McD not going anywhere for at least a couple more seasons. Dorsey definitely here for the entire year. 

The Bills are the ultimate bubby club. They can’t fathom replacing one of their own. There were more capable OC’s out there after Daboll left. 

• Like (+1) 1

What about McDermott declining offensive pass interference that would have put the Jets out of FG position making it 3rd 23? McDermott should never be forgiven for 13 secs. Dorsey is not an offensive coordinator,  that 2 & 15 run in OT was stupid and playing not to lose. Part of the problem with the offence is not having any quality receivers beyond Diggs and he gets double coverage. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Alpo Chino said:

Needed more Latavius and Harris. Type of runners you need vs a physical front. 

Agree 

Getting guys like that and improving our guard play was supposed to mean we weren’t gonna throw it 40 plus times a game. Some smash mouth football with those guys helps out oline wear guys down. 
Just don’t feel like we will ever commit to running the ball to balance our offense 

I have to say this.

Josh is a great QB, but he does need to be handled correctly.  Daboll could keep him within himself most times.

Doresy is a hyperactive kind of guy.  I don't know if that is a good combination.

If the Bills offense is going to succeed in games like this one, they need to learn to take what the D gives them at times.

This board will be crazy this week so I will take a bread from it BUT Dorsey and Josh have to get this thing controlled.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeh he lost to the lions at home 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

OK😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Sure, based on their entire body of work, Mahomes is better than Allen.  Anyone who believes the contrary is the ultimate homer😂

Depends what you consider "better." Allen is a better overall football player but Mahomes is a better QB. If you switched where the two got drafted, they'd probably have exactly the opposite number of Super Bowl wins. You need talent to win Super Bowls, but you will never win with inept coaching.

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

For sure. I appreciate having Allen in a Bills uniform. Just seems like he falls short too often in big games. His turnovers are really bothersome. He wasn't elite or franchise tonight. 

He has a mixed record in big games. He has been spectacular in some.

Tonight, btw, was not a big game.

22 minutes ago, Fetou said:

He became magical for a stretch where it seemed like every first down you needed you would get. He went toe to toe with Mahomes in the playoffs and had him dead to rights.

There has been a ton of regression since then. That feeling of always being a moment away from a chunk play has passed. It's hard from a fan perspective to identify how much of that is losing Daboll and the scheme, how much is other teams adapting their strategy, and how much of that is simply Josh Allen's personal regression.

My gut at this point is that Allen has some sort of mental issue going on as it relates to performance and confidence. The scheme making things more difficult could certainly be tied in with that, as making his job easier could help him settle in. Also he suffered through some awful line play last year, which can develop some bad habits.

The raw ability is still there, but he's not performing anywhere near his public perception for quite some time now.  

Really well stated  

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Fetou said:

He became magical for a stretch where it seemed like every first down you needed you would get. He went toe to toe with Mahomes in the playoffs and had him dead to rights.

There has been a ton of regression since then. That feeling of always being a moment away from a chunk play has passed. It's hard from a fan perspective to identify how much of that is losing Daboll and the scheme, how much is other teams adapting their strategy, and how much of that is simply Josh Allen's personal regression.

My gut at this point is that Allen has some sort of mental issue going on as it relates to performance and confidence. The scheme making things more difficult could certainly be tied in with that, as making his job easier could help him settle in. Also he suffered through some awful line play last year, which can develop some bad habits.

The raw ability is still there, but he's not performing anywhere near his public perception for quite some time now.  

I don't think Daboll is some great oc.  He is capable but I don't rate him as the reason Josh improved after his first year.  I certainly don't think Josh is working on his game as diligently as he did the first few years in his offseasons.   It's all about celebrity golf tourney now and just  having his fun.  He certainly earns a vacation but these guys get like 5 months off.  Plenty of time to have fun yet putting in the effort to improve  whatever weak points he has in his game.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

For everyone’s sanity, avoid the national media this week at all costs!!!

I can save everyone a ton of time:

- The Bills window is definitely closed

- Allen can't get over his turnover problem - he'll never rise to the level of (insert hot QB here, along w/ Mahomes)

- It's Miami's division now

- Blah, blah, blah - hot take - blah, blah, blah

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MPT said:

Respectfully, wtf are you talking about? Every single time Dorsey called up a Cook run on 1st down it went for a loss. How does any QB succeed when they only have 2 downs to get over 10 yards? Especially against one of the league's best pass defenses?

You beat good pass rushes with play action and screens. The Jets' only defensive personnel weakness are the linebackers.

Zero play action. Zero screens. No mismatches in the middle of the field. 

Fire Dorsey now. Replace him with literally anybody who can present a coherent game plan.

The Jets are weak at LB?

I started looking a drives, cook had a 12 yard gain on a first and 10, so you are wrong there. 

The game plan was doing ok against a top defense, except for 4 really stupid turnovers by Allen. Can't expect to win with that.

This team would be deadly with the 15 Cam MVP panthers NFC championship offense. I have said it 10k times. That’s the guy Josh is. Stop trying to make him Drew Brees. Jesus, build the offense around him throwing for 200 2tds and running for 60 and a TD. The 19 offense was probably my favorite and it was by far the simplest. Stop trying to have this guy throw for 350 yards and do what he can do better than anyone. Power run and kill you on play action. Give me that Mike Schula Cam offense and stop trying to be Mahomes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

True, but those impossible tasks are exactly what I think hinders him from become a more mature QB. 

Zach Wilson didn't have to make any great plays to win this game. A couple handoffs to Hall, a lob to Garrett Wilson, and a punt return TD. That's the difference between good coaching and whatever we have.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MPT said:

He played the perfect game against NE with a different coordinator. This new one makes him play from 2nd & 12 every single drive.

No he makes himself play for 2nd and 12 every drive because he won't wear out defenses by drinking and dunking all around the field they aren't protecting.

5 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

What about McDermott declining offensive pass interference that would have put the Jets out of FG position making it 3rd 23?

I had no idea why he did that. That was just handing the Jets 3 points. You might do that against Chiefs and Mahomes, but this is the Jets and Wilson. Bizarre. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

No he makes himself play for 2nd and 12 every drive because he won't wear out defenses by drinking and dunking all around the field they aren't protecting.

Drinking and dunking is what I am doing.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Billz4ever said:

First catch was in 3rd quarter? Not what I expect out of WR2.

Completely agree but only 4 targets. Can’t tell how much of that is on him, Dorsey, Allen but I suspect it’s not much his fault. Offense didn’t spread it around much at all despite all of our supposed weapons. Our big boy TEs had 8 targets combined.

3 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Agree 

Getting guys like that and improving our guard play was supposed to mean we weren’t gonna throw it 40 plus times a game. Some smash mouth football with those guys helps out oline wear guys down. 
Just don’t feel like we will ever commit to running the ball to balance our offense 

Well, the change of pace micro-back was the game plan apparently.

Raw speed is great ... in space ... which he didn't really have, because Murray only came in at the end of the game. 😬

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.