Nyheim Hines is suing the person who hit him on a jetski

Draconator

Just now, Beck Water said:

What do you mean “for what?”

The whole point of an umbrella policy is an “umbrella” of protection for situations excluded or not covered by other policies, or above the limits of those other policies.

The guy was a renter.  Why would he have an umbrella policy for a jetski/boat?

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

You don’t get an umbrella policy on your home or auto.  You get it to cover stuff above what your home or auto insurance covers, and to cover liability they don’t cover.

"To own umbrella insurance, you must own standard homeowners, auto, or watercraft policy first; the umbrella policy kicks in after the regular coverage has been exhausted"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

You not following.  Umbrella policies are not tied to a particular vehicle or boat or whatever.  And at any rate, an ordinary homeowners policy would cover an accident like this too.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

You not following.  Umbrella policies are not tied to a particular vehicle or boat or whatever.  And at any rate, an ordinary homeowners policy would cover an accident like this too.

A homeowner's plan would cover liability when he rents some company's jet ski?

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I just don't see jet skis being in the same danger category.   Where I live, near Chautauqua Lake, jet skis are everywhere.   Several of my friends have or had jet skis.   I've ridden them.   I've also ridden horses, and horses are a lot more dangerous.   

Sure… they are somewhere in between hang gliders and motorized shopping carts 

but they do give a tremendous amount of speed and agility on water to someone who might have no idea what they are doing. 

I spent time on a buddies pretty fast seadoo xp… was easy to do stupid things 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"To own umbrella insurance, you must own standard homeowners, auto, or watercraft policy first; the umbrella policy kicks in after the regular coverage has been exhausted"

It is true that the insurers of which I’m aware want you to have both home and auto policies with them before they will write you an umbrella policy, but the usual umbrella policy is not limited to kicking in after regular coverage is exhausted.

It also covers other situations, such as personal liability and vacation rental.  From the Progressive site:

An umbrella insurance policy extends well beyond your home and auto insurance if you're found liable for more than your other insurance policies can cover. A personal umbrella insurance policy allows you to select a liability limit that best protects your assets, up to $5 million. Umbrella insurance coverage may include the following: 

Personal injury coverage: For claims of libel, slander, defamation of character, and more

Worldwide coverage: For incidents that happen abroad

Vacation rental liability coverage: Protection for accidents involving boats, jet skis, scooters, and other rentals

Defense coverage: For legal fees and court costs

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A homeowner's plan would cover liability when he rents some company's jet ski?

No, an umbrella policy would cover this.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It is true that the insurers of which I’m aware want you to have both home and auto policies with them before they will write you an umbrella policy, but the usual umbrella policy is not limited to kicking in after regular coverage is exhausted.

It also covers other situations, such as personal liability and vacation rental.  From the Progressive site:

An umbrella insurance policy extends well beyond your home and auto insurance if you're found liable for more than your other insurance policies can cover. A personal umbrella insurance policy allows you to select a liability limit that best protects your assets, up to $5 million. Umbrella insurance coverage may include the following: 

Personal injury coverage: For claims of libel, slander, defamation of character, and more

Worldwide coverage: For incidents that happen abroad

Vacation rental liability coverage: Protection for accidents involving boats, jet skis, scooters, and other rentals

Defense coverage: For legal fees and court costs

No, an umbrella policy would cover this.

Most sites I saw say homeowners policy do not cover jet ski rentals over 50 HP.  

There's a small chance this guy had an umbrella policy (you do so if you have a LOT to lose.  There is essentially not chance he had a policy near 5 million

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's a small chance this guy had an umbrella policy (you do so if you have a LOT to lose.  There is essentially not chance he had a policy near 5 million

OK, the rest of us are talking about umbrella policies, so what the homeowner’s policy covered is non issue

If the guy didn’t have an umbrella policy, that’s a different issue, but you’ve been saying an umbrella policy wouldn’t cover this - it’s actually the sort of thing an umbrella policy should cover

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

One last thing, then I’m done with this thread…if the guy rented the jetski, then the outfit he rented from most likely would have required him to pay for insurance to cover the rental.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

He needs to be more careful and not put himself in dangerous situations.

He is suing because it should not have been a dangerous situation. It’s like being hit by a drunk driver.  It’s not like snow skiing where you hurt yourself with your decision. What if he’d been sitting on a pontoon boat and got hit? Should he have been at the gym? 

I’m sorry, life happens. And sometimes it sucks. But if someone was reckless and caused him this kind of harm, I can understand wanting to see it out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I said the day it happened we would never see Hines in a Bills uniform again.  Just unfortunate. But Buffalo will move on and will have other RB/kick returner plans.  There’s no shortage of them.

Hines was the best return guy the Bills have ever had.  He’ll be missed.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

OK, the rest of us are talking about umbrella policies, so what the homeowner’s policy covered is non issue

If the guy didn’t have an umbrella policy, that’s a different issue, but you’ve been saying an umbrella policy wouldn’t cover this - it’s actually the sort of thing an umbrella policy should cover

I guess it depends on your policy and where.  One law firm site said it would cover what specific insurance didn’t but you had to exhaust the payout of that specific policy—it included PWC along with auto and home. 

multiple other sites said it would exclude liability claims on jet skis over 50hp. 

Another poster said typical homeowners (not umbrella) covers over a million in liability.

I doubt any mandatory liability insurance a rental company requires (if at all) a renter to pay would cover more than a couple hundred thousand. 

anyway, my initial post said this guy doesn’t have 4.5 million for the taking l—including any assets or insurance. 

im standing by that as a sage assumption

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If he had one for a couple mil it would absolutely be in play. We have an umbrella and it’s a smart thing to have if you entertain a lot, have a pool, etc. 

5 hours ago, julian said:

If the person was operating under the influence then yes suing seems appropriate but if they weren’t, that’s an unfortunate accident.

You assume risk with you ur actions everyday and some dude who loses control of a jet ski seems like an accident, in fairness it wasn’t me getting my knees twisted the opposite direction and if so I may feel differently.

Wait. 
Your name is Julian and you’re Canadian?

You wouldn’t happen to have a fish named Orangie, would you?

• Haha (+1) 1

My umbrella covers me for one million, for a whopping $86 a year. It's a no brainer.

Agree.. no way Mr. Jetski has anywhere near $4.5 mil in coverage.

Coverage: the way the agent described it to me "You are covered for anything you are found liable for." That can be anything, anywhere. Jetski, someone slipping on icy sidewalk, slander/libel... the list goes on.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Lmao @ the thought of insurance companies paying any claims tbh 🤣🤣

shady bastards 

There's no chance this poor sap has any such policy that would cover a year of Hines's lost salary.

28 million drivers don't even have car insurance.   44 million rent their home/apartment only 55% have renters insurance.

10% of Americans have umbrella insurance.  20% of those with net worth of greater than 5 million have no umbrella insurance.  25% of those who do have less than 5 million in coverage.  

But maybe this dude is a "2%er" high net worth individual who has an umbrella policy over 5 million.  He might just be that 0.4% of individuals in this country!  Pay up bro!

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Something is off. First it was Hines was stationary. Now he was traveling less than 10 mph. Now the lawyer is suddenly thinking about suing multiple weeks later. What changed?  

The Bills aren't paying him this year?

• Haha (+1) 1

Does one need insurance to ride on a jet ski? Maybe from the rental place if the other guy was renting it? Otherwise, unless the other guy is a wealthy as him, I don’t see Hines getting much of anything from this guy. But, sure, anyone can sue anyone for any reason they please. 

22 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

He needs to be more careful and not put himself in dangerous situations.

My family owned a jetski when I was growing up and I rode it all summer around Lake Ontario starting at age 12. I continued to ride it like crazy every summer until I was out of high school. I never hit anyone or came close to any accidents. Nor did I ever feel unsafe or did my parents think so. I wouldn't consider it a dangerous activity whatsoever. I don't have statistics, but I would say jet-skiing is probably safer than driving a car. Whoever hit him was really really stupid.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.