Nyheim Hines is suing the person who hit him on a jetski

Draconator

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

How have lawyers hurt medicine?  LOL! 

Anyway...I might need a good lawyer before I retire.  Haven't needed one yet.  But I know how they work.  A year ago Araiza was a statutory and gang rapist.  A year later...

yikes---still carrying water for an almost rookie Punter?  creepy...

it's a ripe for abuse tort system that has hurt the medical profession (or the practice of it, to be more accurate).  anyway, a solid defense is good lawyering.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Doctor Duck said:

Bulloney...sure DUI will add to someone's chance of not paying attention to what they are doing, but it's not a prerequisite for irresponsibility. You could be driving (or skiing) too fast to respond in time, distracted by your phone, whatever. Point is you weren't paying attention and you caused the accident booze or no booze. Every accident I caused in my 20's (before I wised up) was because I was rushing around too damn fast for the road conditions. No booze involved ever and yes it was my own damn fault.

Lol relax… sue till your hearts content

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

yikes---still carrying water for an almost rookie Punter?  creepy...

it's a ripe for abuse tort system that has hurt the medical profession (or the practice of it, to be more accurate).  anyway, a solid defense is good lawyering.

No, it's just the most glaring and recent example of taking a lawyer's word at face value.

Like that lawyer, we'll see what Hines' lawyer has in short order.  And if he has a case against the rental company, good for him.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, it's just the most glaring and recent example of taking a lawyer's word at face value.

Like that lawyer, we'll see what Hines' lawyer has in short order.  And if he has a case against the rental company, good for him.

you said he had nothing, and that signed releases rendered it all moot anyway..

24 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

I’m trying to save you from embarrassing yourself. Guess it’s too late. 

So your belief is that if Hines was driving his jetski in a completely legal and prudent manner, and a guy who was driving his jetski 50 mph and out of control hits him, then the damages awarded to Hines would be reduced in some amount because of Hines’s contributory negligence?  Is that your position or am I missing something?

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

So your belief is that if Hines was riding his jetski in a completely legal and prudent manner, and a guy who was driving his jetski 50 mph and out of control hits him then the damages awarded to Hines would be reduced in some amount because of Hines’s contributory negligence?  Is that your position or am I missing something?

going too slow? lol

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

I know why you'd want to forget it...

I haven't forgotten anything.  It's just of little consequence---your unusual passion is misplaced.  Why keep carrying  that torch?  If he was drafted for the Dolphins or the Raiders, you would never have posted anything.  

He's gone.  You need to let him go......

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I haven't forgotten anything.  It's just of little consequence---your unusual passion is misplaced.  Why keep carrying  that torch?  If he was drafted for the Dolphins or the Raiders, you would never have posted anything.  

He's gone.  You need to let him go......

The torch was gone last year after the Bills cut him because it was clear he never going to play for them again/they found a suitable replacement.  But the case was a passionate one for many here (ahem), for months on end, likely because beyond it being a Bills draftee, it hit home for those who have HS and college aged kids.  It was a case study in not believing everything you're initially told and jumping to conclusions, a common problem for many, and as such it will live on for awhile. 

In this case, I couldn't care less if and from where Hines recovers his money.  I just find it odd that he'd sue the guy who hit him if he didn't have any money and wouldn't sue the rental company if they were at fault.  Kind of like it was odd for Gilleon to file a civil suit before charges were filed.

14 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

That’s a horrific accident and I’m really sorry for that family. You certainly make good points that context makes a big difference. Confined water spaces combined with inexperienced or aggressive or stupid operators can create safety hazards. I probably wouldn’t jet ski in such places myself. Better to stick to open water!

I still maintain however that jet-skiing in itself is not an inherently dangerous activity. Safety on the water is primarily about remaining alert. Paying attention to the other water crafts and staying away from them.  When it comes to physical safety I’m probably the most cautious and risk averse person I know, lol. If I had the financial means and place to ride one, I would have a jet ski again in a second. 

But operating a jet-ski IS inherently dangerous no matter how any single person treats it. It's a powerful motorcraft that one rides upon at high speeds ON WATER which adds an unmistakably element of danger obviously lol

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The torch was gone last year after the Bills cut him because it was clear he never going to play for them again/they found a suitable replacement.  But the case was a passionate one for many here (ahem), for months on end, likely because beyond it being a Bills draftee, it hit home for those who have HS and college aged kids.  It was a case study in not believing everything you're initially told and jumping to conclusions, a common problem for many, and as such it will live on for awhile. 

In this case, I couldn't care less if and from where Hines recovers his money.  I just find it odd that he'd sue the guy who hit him if he didn't have any money and wouldn't sue the rental company if they were at fault.  Kind of like it was odd for Gilleon to file a civil suit before charges were filed.

I thought the case only got dropped on the eye witness testimony of his close friend?

8 hours ago, Doc said:

I said that at least a dozen posts ago.  you disagreed.

As for the rest, I've never once thought my HS/college age sons would find themselves in the situation Araiza at least placed himself in (we'll hear all about that in the civil suit), so it never "hit home".  

It's safe to say you wouldn't care, then or, strangely, still-- if he never put on the Bills jersey.  He's hardly the first pro athlete accused thusly.

8 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I thought the case only got dropped on the eye witness testimony of his close friend?

I'm not going to get into it all over again but suffice it to say that there was a lot more than just that. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I said that at least a dozen posts ago.  you disagreed.

As for the rest, I've never once thought my HS/college age sons would find themselves in the situation Araiza at least placed himself in (we'll hear all about that in the civil suit), so it never "hit home".  

It's safe to say you wouldn't care, then or, strangely, still-- if he never put on the Bills jersey.  He's hardly the first pro athlete accused thusly.

So with the wide usage of dating apps you never worried about either of your sons hooking up with a girl and then being accused of rape?  Hey, more power to you.

And obviously there was more interest because he was a Bills draftee.  It still would have been an interesting case had it happened to another team and I'd still be defending him.

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm not going to get into it all over again but suffice it to say that there was a lot more than just that. 

So with the wide usage of dating apps you never worried about either of your sons hooking up with a girl and then being accused of rape?  Hey, more power to you.

And obviously there was more interest because he was a Bills draftee.  It still would have been an interesting case had it happened to another team and I'd still be defending him.

No I haven’t (this was a party Araiza was at anyway)

No you wouldn’t. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No I haven’t (this was a party Araiza was at anyway)

No you wouldn’t. 

Yeah, I would have.  As I pointed out to you in that Tyreek Hill thread, I didn't crucify him before knowing the facts.  I stopped jumping to conclusions based on initial reports years ago because they almost never turn out to be true.

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, no one has been sued yet.

Also, you missed this, from the report earlier this week:

“Nyheim, who has his boating license and was likely traveling at about 10 miles per hour was not cited and has engaged my office to hold the necessary parties accountable for ending his season and costing him potentially many millions of dollars.  Why someone elected to rent a jet-ski to such a person and why this person chose to do so are questions my office will be looking into very closely in the coming weeks. I look forward to doing everything I can to put the pieces back together for Nyheim, who is a terrific person and client.”.....

Doesn’t that let Bills off the hook since I believe jet skiing even a 10 mph is t one of those things allowed under contract or NFL player agreements?

12 hours ago, Doc said:

I think you do want to get into it all over again or you wouldnt have brought it up. They lacked physical evidence of him raping her but they had plenty of evidence of his teammates doing it. Also the prosecutor relied on a single eye witness testimony from Araizas teammate that he was not at the party at the time she was being gang raped.

The facts are that almost every single thing the underaged 17 year old girl said the morning after the party when she reported it to the police did happen. There was a party. She was at it. Multiple adult males did have sex with her and record it. They had literal video of matts teammates doing it. Matt was at the party.

The prosecutors relied on a single eye witness testimony (matts friend) to suggest he couldnt have done anything to her that night because he left the party 60 minutes before the video recorded incidents. Okay? How does that prove anything?  It doesnt.

Also, prosecutors said they lacked physical evidence that she was "raped" because on the video she isnt saying the word stop or no. 

The justice system is very tough on young women I worry for my daughter every day. She might get drunk having fun at a party and she has to worry about a bunch of meat jockeys raping her and getting away with it. 

Just because you arent found "guilty" by law doesnt mean you are innocent. You and I can only speculate but when it comes to this sort of issue i prefer to err on the side of not supporting rapists. But hey man, defend that $#!+ if you want. If the league felt the way you do some team would have hired him this year

Edited by BillsFan692

9 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I think you do want to get into it all over again or you wouldnt have brought it up. They lacked physical evidence of him raping her but they had plenty of evidence of his teammates doing it. Also the prosecutor relied on a single eye witness testimony from Araizas teammate that he was not at the party at the time she was being gang raped.

The facts are that almost every single thing the underaged 17 year old girl said the morning after the party when she reported it to the police did happen. There was a party. She was at it. Multiple adult males did have sex with her and record it. They had literal video of matts teammates doing it. Matt was at the party.

The prosecutors relied on a single eye witness testimony (matts friend) to suggest he couldnt have done anything to her that night because he left the party 60 minutes before the video recorded incidents. Okay? How does that prove anything?  It doesnt.

Also, prosecutors said they lacked physical evidence that she was "raped" because on the video she isnt saying the word stop or no. 

The justice system is very tough on young women I worry for my daughter every day. She might get drunk having fun at a party and she has to worry about a bunch of meat jockeys raping her and getting away with it. 

Just because you arent found "guilty" by law doesnt mean you are innocent. You and I can only speculate but when it comes to this sort of issue i prefer to err on the side of not supporting rapists. But hey man, defend that $#!+ if you want. If the league felt the way you do some team would have hired him this year

The girl never accused Araiza of rape (meaning forced sex) either outside or inside the house.  They both admitted the incident outside the house was consensual and her friends said she was boasting about it when she joined them afterwards.  True she was 17, but she was portraying herself as legal/in college and in California that's a valid defense, and if you saw and heard her in that video from the night before, you wouldn't be able to tell that she was 17 and not 18.

As for his involvement with what happened inside the house, she claimed he led her inside to his teammates but never said he participated.  But there's no evidence even of that and evidence otherwise, even if it is from a friend, while she has no one to corroborate her claims.  I'm sure they have his cell phone data to show he wasn't there and I'd like to see that but it won't change much because beyond the lack of evidence it sounds unbelievable on the face of it.  

I won't defend what happened inside the house/his teammates and I have no idea if at some point a rape occurred.  About the best defense I can give her is that she took or was unknowingly given a roofie.  It would explain a lot.  But the videos are damaging to her case.

And the civil trial is still pending.  No team will sign him until it's over because it's a distraction.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.