Chiefs vs Lions NFL Opener

aristocrat

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree here. They started out slowly before and figured it out. They won a SB last year with mediocre receivers. 

I have little doubts the Chiefs won't be the team to beat come season's end. 

JuJu Smith-Schuster isn't a mediocre WR. He has been a solid #2 for his entire career when healthy. He had 1,400 receiving yards in 2018. His issue is he had a couple seasons derailed by injuries. He is a lot better and more efficient than the options the Chiefs have pegged to replace him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Kelce made a LOT of money tonight.

if he wants it.  but sounds like he's taking less, like Mahomes.

Chris Jones made a little money tonight, too.

Lions scored 14 points on offense and thats a going to be a good offense.

Chris Jones didnt earn much IMO. If Moore and Toney could catch this is a predictable chiefs win

I think the Chiefs will be fine when they get Kelce back next week, however..

Last night showed that personnel around the QB matters. 

Mahomes is regarded as the top QB currently, and justifiably so. 

That being said, when only provided with the following (against a meh defense)

-Elite IOL

-Big $$$ Tackle

-Solid RB’s

-Solid TE

-Back to back RD2 WR’s

-WR3 Speed Threat 

-Recent RD1 WR via trade

Mahomes looked uncomfortable, a bit off and was let down by his supporting cast. 

We can make excuses and analyze it all we want, but he also started pressing and struggled a bit himself as the game wore on. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Omg, the Dan Campbell thread.  If all the posters in that thread were set on fire today the world would be better off.  Wow, what douchebags.

came here to say this.  absolutely apex example of a terrible fanbase and a terribly moderated forum

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BBFL said:

They win that game if Toney and Sky Moore don’t have a meltdown all game. KC were certainly less efficient but Reid’s scheme and play designs had guys wide open several times but couldn’t be executed. Some times you just play worse than the other team even if you’re better… not even remotely close for concern… yet. 

If Travis is out for a prolonged period and those 2 don’t have some form of “bounce back” production next week then they’re in trouble. 

I agree with this... but I don't see Toney and Moore "bouncing back". I don't think there is anywhere to bounce back to. I think they are what they are. I doubt Toney has 2 drops as egregious as the two last night every week, but a fast guys who can't play football very well is who he is at this point. Moore running the wrong routes..... I feel that might happen a lot this season.  If Rice can step up and be at least a legit #2 type that will help. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this... but I don't see Toney and Moore "bouncing back". I don't think there is anywhere to bounce back to. I think they are what they are. I doubt Toney has 2 drops as egregious as the two last night every week, but a fast guys who can't play football very well is who he is at this point. Moore running the wrong routes..... I feel that might happen a lot this season.  If Rice can step up and be at least a legit #2 type that will help. 

Toney did miss all of camp. It’s also karma because he loves to run his mouth. 

I think Ross is going to emerge. And if Kelce comes back, he completely opens everything up. 

but on most every other team than the Chiefs, this is an offense of a team contending for the 1 overall pick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Sort of like the Bills, the Chiefs aren’t done until they’re done. They’re king of the hill until they’re not. I dislike saying it, but it is what it is. 

Mahomes was pressing fairly hard. I think his WR group is good enough with or without Kelce. Toney catching 1/5 was bonkers. History makes me inclined to believe they will figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Toney did miss all of camp. It’s also karma because he loves to run his mouth. 

I think Ross is going to emerge. And if Kelce comes back, he completely opens everything up. 

but on most every other team than the Chiefs, this is an offense of a team contending for the 1 overall pick. 

If Kelce is back and one of their young receivers emerges they will still be a productive offense. But I don't think that guy is Skyy Moore. Could be Ross or Rice. 

I had a few observations:

1.  Great to have real, live football back.

2.  Chiefs crowd made some noise.   They have good fans there.

3.  Defenses are catching up with the offenses.   Kelce or no, the Chiefs didn't look anything like the high flying out fit everyone has grown to fear.

4.  In particular, fast aggressive linebacking was on display. 

5.  Mahomes is outstanding.  He's a great decision maker, in the pocket and on the run.   Physically, I love Allen, but he needs to think his way through the game the way Mahomes does. 

6.  3 notwithstanding, Chiefs win with Kelce.  I just kept thinking about how Kincaid could have a similar kind of impact on the Bills offense. 

7.  Lions were wired to begin the game.  They have to grow up and recognize that it's about being really good on every down, not emotionally explosive for a quarter.  Still, give them credit.  They didn't back down, and they put together a beautiful drive to win the game.  Campbell sure seems like an inspirational leader.  Fake punt was amazing. 

8.  The rookie Campbell would be nice to have in the middle, for sure.  When I saw his pass break-up, my first thought was, "When did I ever see Edmunds make and athletic reaction like that break up a pass completion?"   I'll be happy if we see Bernard do that.  

9.  Lions' fan turnout was impressive.  

10.  I like Collingsworth was not one of his better nights.  Great as Mahomes is, the announcing has to be better than just chuckling and slobbering all over him.  

11.  January is a long way off, and the Bills have to take care of business rather than watching scoreboards, but it never hurts to be up on the Chiefs.   Beat the Jets, and it's like the Bills have a head start on home field.   If the Bills have to play the Chiefs in January, let's finally play them in Orchard Park.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Kelce is back and one of their young receivers emerges they will still be a productive offense. But I don't think that guy is Skyy Moore. Could be Ross or Rice. 

I really like both Rice and Ross. Rice was a baller in college but has an issues with drops. Ross is coming off some big injuries but is very talented.

But if you did to this almost any other qb but Mahomes, fans would be outraged. It’s a very bad group minus Kelce. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

5.  Mahomes is outstanding.  He's a great decision maker, in the pocket and on the run.   Physically, I love Allen, but he needs to think his way through the game the way Mahomes does. 

He was anything BUT outstanding last night.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, yall said:

Same thing happened to Josh with McKenzie last year but I don't recall everyone tripping over themselves to defend 17.

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

"How is Mahomes supposed to win with bad tackle play and WRs that drop a lot of passes??"

How about that!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s wild that you have the game plan and none of these idiot nfl DCs received it yet!

All NFL coaches have an innate ability to over complicate things.

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I was watching Gunsmoke

Festus got shot on the horse trail

My Mom and I actually met the Actor once.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I really like both Rice and Ross. Rice was a baller in college but has an issues with drops. Ross is coming off some big injuries but is very talented.

But if you did to this almost any other qb but Mahomes, fans would be outraged. It’s a very bad group minus Kelce. 

So are we criticizing the Chiefs recent drafts, McDuffie aside?

Prior to this year, we’d be celebrating in the streets if Beane gave Allen the OL Mahomes has been given along with a 4.3 deep threat and back to back RD2 WR’s.  

Kelce might have made a difference but that Detroit pass rush was legit, and probably would have sacked Mahomes several times if the refs didn't give Jawaan Taylor a free pass to false start and line up off the line all game.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

"How is Mahomes supposed to win with bad tackle play and WRs that drop a lot of passes??"

How about that!

McKenzie vs the Chiefs last year got pretty close to Toney last night. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So are we criticizing the Chiefs recent drafts, McDuffie aside?

Prior to this year, we’d be celebrating in the streets if Beane gave Allen the OL Mahomes has been given along with a 4.3 deep threat and back to back RD2 WR’s.  

I mean they won the SB last year so how much can you criticize them? Rice has one td in one game but Moore has been a disappointment. 

I will say that the Chiefs haven’t drafted any good receiver since Hill though. They have a bunch of JAGs playing with an all time great. It’s kinda like the Pats every year when they didn’t have Moss.

but they definitely seem to have worse receivers than us. 

Friday Morning Quarterbacking. 

One thing that is crystal clear after last night.  Chiefs need Kelce more than they need Jones.  The Chiefs offense just looked discombobulated without that big lug in the middle of the field and at the goal line.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Oh, I disagree.  His decision making was superb.  His movement in the pocket is excellent, and his decisions to run are almost always correct.   Give him a 10-yard completion instead of the pick six that was totally not on him, and his passer rating was in the 90s.   Give him a better receiver (Kelce, or a wideout), and Chiefs would have cruised.  All they needed was one score. 

There is no one better. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I like old school hardass tough guy Dan Campbell.

I also like new school dweeb Mike McDaniel.

That kind of contrast is what makes the NFL fun.

Go Lions! (and bills)

Thing is, while Campbell has the old school kneecap-biting persona, he is actually one of the more progressive and pass-oriented coaches. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean they won the SB last year so how much can you criticize them? Rice has one td in one game but Moore has been a disappointment. 

I will say that the Chiefs haven’t drafted any good receiver since Hill though. They have a bunch of JAGs playing with an all time great. It’s kinda like the Pats every year when they didn’t have Moss.

but they definitely seem to have worse receivers than us. 

Me personally, I think Veach crushed the drafts prior to these past two years. 

Those picks, along with their FA spending on the OL is what has been driving their success with Mahomes/Kelce/Jones. 

That said … Moore seems meh, we’ll see about Rice (although he also struggles with drops).   

On defense, we’ll see about their EDGE pick from this year, but Karlaftis reminds me alot of Epenesa. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I like old school hardass tough guy Dan Campbell.

I also like new school dweeb Mike McDaniel.

That kind of contrast is what makes the NFL fun.

Go Lions! (and bills)

Mike McDaniel is the Jimmy Fallon of NFL coaches. Never understood the appeal in the first place but I’m enjoying everyone coming around to the fact he’s a jerk. 

• Agree 1

I give the Lions major props for this W, that's a tough thing to do to go into Arrowhead as an underdog and play a hard nosed game against the former SB champs.

That being said, week 1 is always a liar. I've watched so many teams (*cough* Chiefs, Pats *cough*) start slow, go 2-2, everyone saying the sky is falling and then they go into October having sorted out their ***** and just grind out W's otw to another SB.

This game tells us nothing. We see the Chiefs in December and we'll know exactly what kind of team they are by then.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

He wasn’t Mahomes level but how many qbs win that game with that crew? He wins if Toney wasn’t completely terrible. 

that’s definitely a stats don’t show good he type of game. He wasn’t MVP Mahomes but he was pretty damn good considering what was around him.

3 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Mike McDaniel is the Jimmy Fallon of NFL coaches. Never understood the appeal in the first place but I’m enjoying everyone coming around to the fact he’s a jerk. 

He is a great offensive mind. We would be creaming ourselves if he was calling plays for us. 

this board loved crappy on Tua and McDaniel helped him have the highest qb rating in the league. He’s a top 5 offensive coach. And definitely a nerd. 

1 minute ago, uninja said:

I give the Lions major props for this W, that's a tough thing to do to go into Arrowhead as an underdog and play a hard nosed game against the former SB champs.

That being said, week 1 is always a liar. I've watched so many teams (*cough* Chiefs, Pats *cough*) start slow, go 2-2, everyone saying the sky is falling and then they go into October having sorted out their ***** and just grind out W's otw to another SB.

This game tells us nothing. We see the Chiefs in December and we'll know exactly what kind of team they are by then.

were you really coughing while you were typing?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.