Kirksey signing with the Bills PS

ndirish1978

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Edmunds had amazing range.  He covered a lot of space.  Given how much he was in the vicinity,  it was surprising how relatively few plays he made.  

Maybe he was protecting himself from injury and the big hit.  You would think that he could’ve put some hurt on guys, like Lewis.  I see Diggs curling up and collapsing to protect himself.  It’s paid off for both.

5 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Maybe he was protecting himself from injury and the big hit.  You would think that he could’ve put some hurt on guys, like Lewis.  I see Diggs curling up and collapsing to protect himself.  It’s paid off for both.

It's the difference between offense and defense.  Except for running backs, offensive skill position players often protect themselves.  That's a change from the old days, when everyone was expected to be aggressive hitters.  On defense, there's not a lot of room for guys who don't punish ball carriers.  If Edmunds was protecting himself for five years to be sure he got a contract, well, the Bills should have dumped him earlier.   Especially for a guy who plays in the middle, he is one of the least aggressive hitters I've seen in recent years.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

40 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's the difference between offense and defense.  Except for running backs, offensive skill position players often protect themselves.  That's a change from the old days, when everyone was expected to be aggressive hitters.  On defense, there's not a lot of room for guys who don't punish ball carriers.  If Edmunds was protecting himself for five years to be sure he got a contract, well, the Bills should have dumped him earlier.   Especially for a guy who plays in the middle, he is one of the least aggressive hitters I've seen in recent years.  

So disappointing. I expected more from a Klingon.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm not gonna get into defending Edmunds as a hitter.

I'll just point out that some of the biggest hits (and by extension, biggest hitters) are actually poor tackling technique.  Donte Whitner exemplified this Back in Da Day.  He would go for the BOOM! but if the opponent managed to deflect, they were gone and Whitner was trying to pick himself up off the turf and recover to pursue.

There's actually a stat kept around missed tackles.  Like the drop stat, it is not an official NFL stat, has some subjectivity behind it, and the different statistical services who provide it may differ a bit.

Anyway, Tremaine Edmunds was scored with one (1) missed tackle - 1% missed tackles - last season.

Milano, who to (my perception anyway) is a much more aggressive hitter, had 13 missed tackles, 11.6%.

I'm not trying to knock on Milano, just to point out that "aggressive hitting" is a mixed blessing from the point of view of a defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'll just point out that some of the biggest hits (and by extension, biggest hitters) are actually poor tackling technique.  Donte Whitner exemplified this Back in Da Day.  He would go for the BOOM! but if the opponent managed to deflect, they were gone and Whitner was trying to pick himself up off the turf and recover to pursue.

There's actually a stat kept around missed tackles.  Like the drop stat, it is not an official NFL stat, has some subjectivity behind it, and the different statistical services who provide it may differ a bit.

Anyway, Tremaine Edmunds was scored with one (1) missed tackle - 1% missed tackles - last season.

Milano, who to (my perception anyway) is a much more aggressive hitter, had 13 missed tackles, 11.6%.

I'm not trying to knock on Milano, just to point out that "aggressive hitting" is a mixed blessing from the point of view of a defense.

Agree with this.  Edmunds’ tackling style is more of the crocodile-death-roll where he grabs the legs and twists.  Not exactly how they teach it but it does the job.  The issue is he is so tall and top-heavy that the shorter ball carrier often twists forward for a couple of extra yards during the tackle.

As compared to Winfield who, despite being 5’7”, ended the play at the point of contact every single time.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's interesting.   Thanks.   

Strictly based on my own eye test, I would guess that Edmunds put up that stat (which is pretty amazing) because he rarely laid out to hit someone, and he rarely came in hard and lead with his shoulder.  His tackling style is to hug the ball carrier and wrestle him down.  He's a big guy, so when he can get close enough to hug the guy, he's going down.   

I would guess that what doesn't show up in that stat are the times that he didn't attempt the tackle because he was coming on the scene passively.   

And he rarely made tackles driving the ball carrier back toward the line of scrimmage; he'd hug the guy and get dragged downfield a bit.

I think running backs knew they weren't going to get punished running up the middle, and that's not what you want running backs thinking.  They thought, "The big guy may tackle me, but he isn't going to hurt me."

His gap discipline was pretty bad early in his career, but he cleaned that up as the seasons went by.   

Now, I was a pretty big Edmunds defender while he was here, because I thought he was an important part of the pass defense, but i never defended his run-stopping or blitzing.  

As others have said, McBeane hoped he would grow into a transcendent linebacker, but he never did.  I think their experience with Edmunds caused them to refine their thinking a bit.  I think they now think that they need a guy with quickness and physical toughness in the middle, a guy who is solid but not necessarily a star in the pass defense.  I think they kept hoping Klein would emerge as a solid pass defender, but he just couldn't do it.  They've seen Kirksey on film, and I'm guessing he can give them what they need.  I'm sure they're still hoping one of Dodson, Bernard, or Williams will emerge.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

i dont think the point of the bend-but-dont-break philosophy is to wait for the opponent to make mistakes.

you cant just say, (for example):  on average, a 12 play drive will yield X number of penalties, Y number of dropped passes, and Z number of missed field goals.

The point of the bend-dont-break is to capitalize on those mistakes.  Where capitalize does not just mean 'eventually get the ball back.'

sacks.  forced fumbles.  QB hits.  Opponents geting frustrated and commiting personal fouls.  Tricking QBs. 

Edmunds gave you none of that.   Dont tell me it wasnt his job and i dont know his assignment, etc.   

I think the only time on Defense where your assignment does not involve making a play is either (1) eating a double team, or (2) setting the edge.   Otherwise, your assignment should be to do your role, so you can be in position to make a play if it presents. 

Never happened with Edmunds.  He was like the employee whose priority was to not get fired.  No thought of advancement.

Yeah sometimes the mistake is just a QB checking down a pass to a RB over the middle but putting it in a spot where they have to stop completely or reach back or over-extend.........and there were plays practically every game where this happened right in front of Edmunds.........and rather than take advantage of this already neutralized target by going for the ball Edmunds would just hug tackle them and allow the short gain. 

It's astounding that a guy with his reach hasn't forced a single fumble in the regular season since very early in the 2018........70 games played since the last.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If you compare both Milano and Tremaine side by side, Milano had a higher solo tackle percentage of 68 compared to Tremaine 's 63.  Tremaine had his best year on year 2 with an AV of 14. It went down every year after that.  Milano's all pro season last year was an AV of 19.  It just seemed like whenever TE made a tackle there was help involved. 

My concern with Edmunds' departure is the extra demands his absence will place on our DBs. Nobody will deny he took a lot of space in the middle. White and CB2 (TBD) will have to cover a bit more inside. Poyer and Hyde (aging and coming off injuries) will be responsible for more space in front of them. It's a game of inches and we may see a lower rate of success among our DBs as they miss the help they got in all directions from Edmunds. Time will tell, but this is my '23 concern.

Edited by RochesterLifer
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It might be interesting to see Milano's 13 missed tackles.  I bet that some of them are on plays when most LB's would not have been in the play to miss the tackle.   

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think having a 1% missed tackle rate is kind of like having a 1% interception rate. In theory it looks good on paper but in reality it means you aren't pushing the envelope enough to create big plays.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think having a 1% missed tackle rate is kind of like having a 1% interception rate. In theory it looks good on paper but in reality it means you aren't pushing the envelope enough to create big plays.

That's one POV.  Another POV is that you're trading some *thump* and some TFL for the sure wrap-and-tackle

For Edmunds, probably some truth to both.

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

It might be interesting to see Milano's 13 missed tackles.  I bet that some of them are on plays when most LB's would not have been in the play to miss the tackle.   

With scoring "drops", they're only supposed to score as drops 'a pass that a WR should catch with ordinary effort' ie, that hits the WR on the hands or within a rough rectangle from his upper thighs to just over his head and on either side such that he could still 2 hand it - which means they don't count a number of catches we fans look at and say "a top NFL WR needs to make that".

Similar deal supposed to be the case with missed tackles - they aren't supposed to score as missed, a tackle where the LB has to make extraordinary effort.

I think Milano has made an effort the last couple years to let some tackles go or shoe-string them from behind, where he would previously stick out one arm and risk injuring a shoulder or tearing a pec.  And it still worked for the Bills last season because he'd slow the guy down and Edmunds or Poyer would seal it.

But yeah, I'd like to see them too.

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's interesting.   Thanks.   

Strictly based on my own eye test, I would guess that Edmunds put up that stat (which is pretty amazing) because he rarely laid out to hit someone, and he rarely came in hard and lead with his shoulder.  His tackling style is to hug the ball carrier and wrestle him down.  He's a big guy, so when he can get close enough to hug the guy, he's going down.   

I would guess that what doesn't show up in that stat are the times that he didn't attempt the tackle because he was coming on the scene passively.   

And he rarely made tackles driving the ball carrier back toward the line of scrimmage; he'd hug the guy and get dragged downfield a bit.

I think running backs knew they weren't going to get punished running up the middle, and that's not what you want running backs thinking.  They thought, "The big guy may tackle me, but he isn't going to hurt me."

His gap discipline was pretty bad early in his career, but he cleaned that up as the seasons went by.   

Now, I was a pretty big Edmunds defender while he was here, because I thought he was an important part of the pass defense, but i never defended his run-stopping or blitzing.  

As others have said, McBeane hoped he would grow into a transcendent linebacker, but he never did.  I think their experience with Edmunds caused them to refine their thinking a bit.  I think they now think that they need a guy with quickness and physical toughness in the middle, a guy who is solid but not necessarily a star in the pass defense.  I think they kept hoping Klein would emerge as a solid pass defender, but he just couldn't do it.  They've seen Kirksey on film, and I'm guessing he can give them what they need.  I'm sure they're still hoping one of Dodson, Bernard, or Williams will emerge.  

I think that's a pretty fair take.  Depending upon what you mean by wrap, that may actually be good tackling technique, but of course getting dragged downfield is not.  When Poyer or Milano tackles, guys generally know they've been hit.

I do feel that Edmunds got more aggressive tackling the last 2 years.  IIRC, in 2020 he was playing almost all season with an AC Joint sprain (injured 1st or 2nd game), which made him tentative.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Moulds said:

He had everything but the instincts. 

I might ad ferocity to that. I know playing for the big hit can lead to mistakes, but how good would it be to have a linebacker who made slot guys and TEs afraid to catch it over the middle? I think instilling that kind of fear can be factor for at least some opponents. How bad do you really want that ball on the slant route? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think that's a pretty fair take.  Depending upon what you mean by wrap, that may actually be good tackling technique, but of course getting dragged downfield is not.  When Poyer or Milano tackles, guys generally know they've been hit.

I do feel that Edmunds got more aggressive tackling the last 2 years.  IIRC, in 2020 he was playing almost all season with an AC Joint sprain (injured 1st or 2nd game), which made him tentative.

Yeah, it was pretty clear to me that aggressive tackling was somethin he was working on.   It didn't come naturally, but he made a go at it. 

7 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

He had everything but the instincts. 

I think he also just lacked being a badass, a person with bad intentions. His athletic traits are elite. If he had more hasty he could be legendary. What has been said about his tackling technique is accurate. I think the reason for it has everything in to do with personality. The few times I saw him hit with an edge he was an absolute wrecking ball (although once his victim was Dane Jackson).

The Bears got the player we know, for good or ill. That's not going to change.

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Edmunds had amazing range.  He covered a lot of space.  Given how much he was in the vicinity,  it was surprising how relatively few plays he made.  

That’s because he has no instincts. Takes a bit of anticipation and gamble to make plays. Unfortunately he has very little of that 

Bottom line, we need more "splash"/impactul plays from our new MLB. 

As much as I liked the "potential" of Tremaine, he never made the impactful plays.  Reliable but not exceptional player and bmnever thought he was a "natural leader" (something he got much better at).  Glad he got the contract he received, but that again was based on "potential".

Even if it's piecing together a MLB, subpackages/etc, I'm hoping we can get more impactful plays and more aggression.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/1/2023 at 5:53 PM, Shaw66 said:

I think the game has changed, and old timers like me are just catching up to that fact.  

Kirksey will be the guy.  He has experience calling the defense, which is part of the problem with Dodson, Bernard and Williams.  He has been an effective pass defender.  And he's better against the run than Edmunds, and a better blitzer, too.   He is not going to be a star, but as I've been saying, the Bills seems to have decided that middle linebacker is the position where a star is least necessary.  

Shaw, I respect your knowledge of the LB position and am not trying to be argumentative.  But is it really correct that Kirksey has been an effective pass defender?   I don't know the player very well but I thought I read somewhere that his PFF pass defense grade last season was in the low 50s which ranked him something like 89th among LBs as I recall.  

Beane and McD are clearly in the modern age when it comes to LBs being more pass defenders than run defenders these days.  Yet they sign a guy who's not a good pass defender - and arguably not a good defender of any kind.  Though his experience and intelligence would probably make him a better leader from that position than any of the younger guys.  I wonder what Beane and McD are seeing and thinking other than the very obvious - the MLBs on the 53-man roster aren't very good.  

39 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Shaw, I respect your knowledge of the LB position and am not trying to be argumentative.  But is it really correct that Kirksey has been an effective pass defender?   I don't know the player very well but I thought I read somewhere that his PFF pass defense grade last season was in the low 50s which ranked him something like 89th among LBs as I recall.  

Beane and McD are clearly in the modern age when it comes to LBs being more pass defenders than run defenders these days.  Yet they sign a guy who's not a good pass defender - and arguably not a good defender of any kind.  Though his experience and intelligence would probably make him a better leader from that position than any of the younger guys.  I wonder what Beane and McD are seeing and thinking other than the very obvious - the MLBs on the 53-man roster aren't very good.  

I don't really know how good Kirksey is, but this is what I think about his pass defense:  Rushing defense is more instinctive, pass defense, particularly in zones, is more intellectual.  In pass defense you need to learn where to drop, how to read multiple keys.  You can't turn around look at the other defenders and reposition yourself.  You just have to know where to go, and that's learned.   That is, I think, what Dodson and Bernard and Williams have trouble with.  They have to learn that, and they aren't ready to play pass defense effectively (if they ever will be).

Kirksey has started in the NFL for a long time.   He has learned that stuff - if he couldn't play pass defense, teams wouldn't have continued to sign him to nice, multi-year deals.   So, I conclude from that that he's at least adequate back there.    

I don't see how he can be "not a good defender of any kind."  GMs aren't stupid.  They have scouts who study a lot of film on guys before they draft and before they sign them.  If Kirksey were not a good defender, or at least adequate, he wouldn't have the contract history his has.  In the three seasons where he played the entire season, he had 130, 130, and 140 tackles.   In five seasons in the NFL, Edmunds got over 100 once - 105.  The guy must know how to play.   Staying healthy is the big issue for him, and possibly age. 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't know about PFF pass defense grades.

But last season, Kirksey had a passer rating of 90.1 against him.  That's 132nd in the league.  Completion percentage against him was 75%.

For comparison, Tremaine Edmunds had a passer rating of 69.9 against him, Milano 62.6 (#13 in the league), Poyer 60.1 (#8 in the league)

And in McDermott's defense, linebackers most definitely have to do both.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't know about PFF pass defense grades.

But last season, Kirksey had a passer rating of 90.1 against him.  That's 132nd in the league.  Completion percentage against him was 75%.

For comparison, Tremaine Edmunds had a passer rating of 69.9 against him, Milano 62.6 (#13 in the league), Poyer 60.1 (#8 in the league)

And in McDermott's defense, linebackers most definitely have to do both.

Kirksey's passer rating against was better than Tremaine Edmund's in both 2020 and 2021 though..........and that 90 rating last year was also notably better than Tremaine in 2020-2021.    

Point being that last year was an outlier for Edmunds......but not the Bills defense.

The Bills defense was still good in 2020 and 2021 when Edmunds passer rating against was well over 100 in those seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

20 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It would be encouraging to see Kirksey moved onto the 53 by Tues-Wed

Or, if Sean wants to play coy we could just wait and elevate him for the game and have him start (in hopes the Jets planned on attacking Dodson….which any logical OC & QB would do)

I mean, it's all good to have hopes and wants.

But I really think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you honestly think Kirksey is going to Start Week 1.

He's coming off injury, didn't have any offseason, needs to learn the playbook, and is coming to a new team with a coach that is notoriously slow when it comes to bringing new players along.

Is it likely Bernard and Dodson will under perform and lead McDermott to start Kirksey in the future? Yes. Week 1 though? I wouldn't hold my breath.

And as far as game planning goes, the Jets are going to run the same offense and plays regardless of whether it's Dodson, Bernard, or Kirksey. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Kirksey's passer rating against was better than Tremaine Edmund's in both 2020 and 2021 though..........and that 90 rating last year was also notably better than Tremaine in 2020-2021.    

Point being that last year was an outlier for Edmunds......but not the Bills defense.

The Bills defense was still good in 2020 and 2021 when Edmunds passer rating against was well over 100 in those seasons.

This is a good point.  Even if he’s not as good as Edmunds last season, I think it’s very plausible that he’s a better overall option than Bernard and much better than Dodson.  

It sounds like, at worst, Kirksey is a better version of AJ Klein 

• Like (+1) 1

Kirksey is very nice to have on the team. I'm excited to see what Dodson and Bernard can do. I am really excited to see Dodson a few games. Hes got a really nice physical skillset and instincts in the run game. Hes got a really nice backpedal too and can get back quick like a DB. Bernard is intriguing too. I feel like kirksey is a guy after a month we can put in at any point and can be a stable piece in the middle.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Bottom line, we need more "splash"/impactul plays from our new MLB. 

I don't think so.  I don't think the Bills will get them Kirksey, and I don't think the Bills need them.  I mean, I'd like some sacks from the middle linebacker, and I'd like some nice stuffed runs in the middle from the middle linebacker, but I think that what I've been saying is that the middle linebacker isn't the guy the Bills are looking to to be the big-play guy.  They hoped Edmunds would be that, but I think the recent draft/free agency history of Beane suggests that they no longer thing that kind of guy is a "need" on defense.  

We're happy to have Hyde and Poyer and White - all impactful players.  Beane drafted Elam to be one, although he hasn't worked out.  He drafted Rousseau and Oliver to be impactful, and he signed Miller and Leonard and Jones to be impactful.  At middle linebacker, all he's done is get guys they hope can play the position adequately.   

Beane's problem last month was that no one on the roster was filling the hole adequately.  That's why they got Kirksey - in his career he's shown he can be adequate.  Not impactful, but adequate.  

I think the missing variable with Kirksay is he’s always played on below average defenses. Plug him into a top 5 defense like ours and he may show out even more. Plus he’s not going to be a three down player. Less is more. I feel he’s going to thrive in this defense with his role. 

Edited by Paul Costa
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

he’s been signed to the practice squad so I’m not sure they are seeing a clear solution so much as another lottery ticket

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think so.  I don't think the Bills will get them Kirksey, and I don't think the Bills need them.  I mean, I'd like some sacks from the middle linebacker, and I'd like some nice stuffed runs in the middle from the middle linebacker, but I think that what I've been saying is that the middle linebacker isn't the guy the Bills are looking to to be the big-play guy.  They hoped Edmunds would be that, but I think the recent draft/free agency history of Beane suggests that they no longer thing that kind of guy is a "need" on defense.  

We're happy to have Hyde and Poyer and White - all impactful players.  Beane drafted Elam to be one, although he hasn't worked out.  He drafted Rousseau and Oliver to be impactful, and he signed Miller and Leonard and Jones to be impactful.  At middle linebacker, all he's done is get guys they hope can play the position adequately.   

Beane's problem last month was that no one on the roster was filling the hole adequately.  That's why they got Kirksey - in his career he's shown he can be adequate.  Not impactful, but adequate.  

Idk man, I’d say more impact plays on defense would be good, particularly in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Sorry my point was mainly geared toward losing Edmunds, and how we can still get better at that spot (in 1 specific aspect: impactful plays).

I'm not expecting Kirksey to be an all-pro, or even pro bowler, "average" is actually fine.

But Tremaine was average at best, IMO, at impactful plays.  FF, sacks, Ints etc

Again, that was something that he never "took the next step with", if he had, I think he'd be in a Bills uniform still.  Impactful plays was the constant discussion/focus from Frazier/Coach LY, in terms of Edmunds and defense in general.

I think Kirskey, and however we run subpackages at MLB, has the "potential" to generate more impactful plays.  Not just Kirskey himself, albeit he's shown a bit more than Tremaine in this area historically.

I do think that's a "need" in terms of improvement area, against upper echelon teams and in the playoffs.  Is it the top need? No.

I think Josh/Dorsey/offense improving turnovers and RZ efficiency are the top priorities, that will lead to a better overall team.  Likely that could carry us, if they execute fairly flawlessly.   But this defense has always been about giving up the small plays and forcing teams into mistakes, over long drives...be it penalties, turnovers etc.  That's something we can improve on, as a defense in general and at MLB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.