Preseason Around the League Week 3

Chaos

Steeler defense is for real, their biggest issue is keeping their "stars" healthy in the past few years.  They also upgraded their 2 biggest weaknesses on that side of the ball, both ILB spots and CB.

Their offense is what I think will come back to earth in regular season.  Solid small attacking team, that has Pickens for the occasional 50/50 deep ball.  I think they've got nice complimentary skills group, I just think Pickett is a Tier 2-3 QB at best.

49ers will be an excellent measuring stick week 1.  Overall, I had Steelers at 10-7 and getting a wildcard (2nd best team in North)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Steeler defense is for real, their biggest issue is keeping their "stars" healthy in the past few years.  They also upgraded their 2 biggest weaknesses on that side of the ball, both ILB spots and CB.

Their offense is what I think will come back to earth in regular season.  Solid small attacking team, that has Pickens for the occasional 50/50 deep ball.  I think they've got nice complimentary skills group, I just think Pickett is a Tier 2-3 QB at best.

49ers will be an excellent measuring stick week 1.  Overall, I had Steelers at 10-7 and getting a wildcard (2nd best team in North)

ahead of the Bengals, or Ravens?

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

ahead of the Bengals, or Ravens?

Ahead of Ravens.

Steelers finished LY very well in general.  I think they could challenge for the North, if Pickett takes a big step, but not counting on that.  That's if they avoid injuries to all their key players.

This is one of my favorite matchups in the NFL week 1, 49ers vs Steelers

44 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Wouldn’t it be a riot if after all the pumping up of the AFC East this offseason, it was the AFC North dominating ….

Even better if it was the AFC north cannibalizing themselves with their division winner finishing in 4th place in the standings.

40 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

People might remember a few years back when the Eagles under Chip Kelly were literally routing teams in preseason the regular season didn’t work out that way.

I get the feeling this Steelers team is in for a similar deal. 

And the Ravens 7 year preseason winning streak didn't exactly translate to elite play in the regular season with only 1 playoff win through that time.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And the Ravens 7 year preseason winning streak didn't exactly translate to elite play in the regular season with only 1 playoff win through that time.

Holy smokes. I hadn’t really thought about it before, but if you had asked me before reading this, I never would have guessed it was just one playoff win! Ravens seem to have built an interesting narrative over this time…

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Wouldn’t it be a riot if after all the pumping up of the AFC East this offseason, it was the AFC North dominating ….

IMO top to bottom the AFCN is the most difficult division in the NFL this season, though the AFCE is a close second. They don’t seem to have a weak team. Even without a quality QB Pittsburgh seems to still be able to go 9-8 at worst. The Browns are stacked. Everything there depends on how Watson plays and gels with Stefanski's play calling. Similarly the Ravens are Lamar dependent, but look like they are fielding quite a good roster. And there’s no need to pump up the Bengals after the last few seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

A classic blunder, much like going against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, gah……

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I like Richardson, he reminds me a little of Josh Allen. Interesting to see what this man can do. Love watching him in preseason. Definitely oozing potential. 

For all the "next Allen" talk, I can see it when he takes off and scrambles, but even in Josh's first game you could see him actually hit receivers from time to time. Richardson looked like what I was expecting Allen to look like based on all the "accuracy" flak, but both were indeed firing the ball on a line.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/top-5-josh-allen-plays-2018-preseason-253924

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

That defense is for real, but if TJ Watt or Alex Highsmith goes down that line suddenly looks VERY different. They have very good players on defense, but depth is a serious question.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, uninja said:

That defense is for real, but if TJ Watt or Alex Highsmith goes down that line suddenly looks VERY different. They have very good players on defense, but depth is a serious question.

Agree, and that's been their problem on defense (injuries).  However, I think they have much better depth across their team....nobody at TJ or Highsmith level, but those are blue chip talents.

I do like Herbig, their rookie.  He has the look of a potential steal as a 4th rounder.

Young team on offense, but alot of vets on that defense.  Glad we don't play the North this season, likely the best division in football.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. my drafts are coming up, but I wonder where he is going. I have to think he isn’t falling past the 2nd round? 

I think that'd be a major reach, but if you have a lot of Steeler fans in your draft...then yeah, someone will draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

He's probably a 5th-6th rounder in 12 team PPR leagues.

I look at the Steeler offense and see a "balanced attack".  They aren't going to air it out each week, like us or Chiefs.  Pickett isn't talented enough or there yet.  And when they do throw, they have a group of weapons that will spread the touches.  Redzone- Freiermuth is a monster, and see them running alot.  Washington will be used alot there too.

Long story short, Pickens is a good player but in FF he's probably in the 30-35 range of WRs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think that'd be a major reach, but if you have a lot of Steeler fans in your draft...then yeah, someone will draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

He's probably a 5th-6th rounder in 12 team PPR leagues.

I look at the Steeler offense and see a "balanced attack".  They aren't going to air it out each week, like us or Chiefs.  Pickett isn't talented enough or there yet.  And when they do throw, they have a group of weapons that will spread the touches.  Redzone- Freiermuth is a monster, and see them running alot.  Washington will be used alot there too.

Long story short, Pickens is a good player but in FF he's probably in the 30-35 range of WRs.

I got Pickens in a dynasty 12 team PPR 3 Flex 1 Super Flex league at spot 6.12 as my WR2/3 (as the next pick I took Michael Pittman). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Even better if it was the AFC north cannibalizing themselves with their division winner finishing in 4th place in the standings.

But to be fair, that was partly our fault.  For beating them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

For all the "next Allen" talk, I can see it when he takes off and scrambles, but even in Josh's first game you could see him actually hit receivers from time to time. Richardson looked like what I was expecting Allen to look like based on all the "accuracy" flak, but both were indeed firing the ball on a line.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/top-5-josh-allen-plays-2018-preseason-253924

Thanks for the clip.  Some nice Ray Ray highlights.  Now that McKenzie is gone, do you think we made the right choice?  I do, but best to McCloud

9 hours ago, uninja said:

They may have fixed that with the Harbig draft pick

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. my drafts are coming up, but I wonder where he is going. I have to think he isn’t falling past the 2nd round? 

Please, Mr. Miyagi, not before 5th

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

In the Pats vs the Titans game, it appears the Pats will end up with 79 total yards of offense. Scrubs or not, that is just bad.

I know they had bad play callers last year but their offense was impressively terrible last year and they drafted mostly defense at the top half of the draft.

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Still don’t know what to make of the Jets they should be better but it’s obvious against most of the Giants backups they are having problems protecting Rogers 

Ya, can't tell if jets defense is that good, or Ya know.... Tyrod 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.