Game Day Thread? Bills @ Steelers 8/19

EmotionallyUnstable

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

McDermott was only DC in Carolina under HC Rivera.  He had little input in team rosters outside his defensive roster, and then who knows how much as Rivera is a defensive coach.  He may have called all shots on players and schemes.

Talking about Beane. Director of Football Operations for those Panthers.

Edited by That's No Moon

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Zappe just made a great 40+ throw for a TD in the Pats game, after a meh showing by Jones.

Take some solace in the fact that New England is about to continue their Losman/Edwards debate phase of mediocrity.

Has the third guy not gone in yet I heard he's a hidden gem. 🤣

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 1

I mean this is just awful from Spencer Brown. Gets knocked off balance, hops back awkwardly, then grabs his guy as a last resort to stop Allen from getting walloped. He's supposedly had a pretty good camp but if this is what it's going to look like in real games we are in deep trouble. And that's Markus Golden doing that to him, not a top tier edge rusher.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I said earlier, and it doesn't really mean much but after watching him for two weeks, he might be our best pass blocking tackle on the roster and 2nd overall behind Dawkins.

Not at RT he isn't. Vam Demark kept getting ruined by the same power-to-speed rush wide to his right all 2nd half last week. Gouraige in his series today and without me going over the tape in detail looked to be enveloping his man rep over rep.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Honestly like the Jets week one after watching that game. Perhaps an overreaction, but I think the Jets line is going to eat the Bills upfront.

The Bills have struggled with  the Jets the last several years even if they beat them in the end most of the time.  The Jets D is still physical in a way their weak ass line cant deal with and are significantly better at QB and RB than they have been.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

That was the most painful preseason game watching experience I may have ever had.

If anyone read my pre-game post about the Kansas diner waitress named Marge, well...

Anyway...YES, it's true that the final scores of preseason games don't matter and that the schemes are vanilla. With that said, you'd like to see crisp execution, players winning matchups, some cohesion on offense and defense, and at the very least, A GENERAL DISPLAY OF COMPETENCE. Whatever that abomination I just watched was...it was the exact OPPOSITE of everything I just said.

I'm not an "overreact to the preseason" guy. I am also not a "nothing in the preseason matters at all" guy. I think preseason performance very much CAN be an omen of things to come. For years during the drought, the Bills would be awful in the preseason, and we'd all say "it's only preseason!", and lo and behold, they'd be awful in the regular season, too. Conversely, McDermott's squads have always looked pretty good in preseason. Well organized, executing well, winning matchups, etc, and then that would carry over to the regular season.

To overreact to this game would, of course, be foolish. To completely sweep it under the rug, though, and to pretend like it's not at least a little bit concerning...that seems just as foolish. This was U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, ugly. Just bad in every way a thing can be bad. I want the last three hours of my summer Saturday back.

I was thinking all of these things, then you wrote them down.  100% agreed.

I really hate preseason overreactions. But there was a lot to digest tonight, and it all can't be filed under "it's just preseason."

I think the biggest concern I have is that McD has too much on his plate now.  Penalties and general undisciplined play are not a good look at any time.  I really hope we don't end up thinking that the combined HC/DC thing was an experiment that just didnt work.

Gotta give it time, though. See if they can work out the kinks.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

That was the most painful preseason game watching experience I may have ever had.

If anyone read my pre-game post about the Kansas diner waitress named Marge, well...

Anyway...YES, it's true that the final scores of preseason games don't matter and that the schemes are vanilla. With that said, you'd like to see crisp execution, players winning matchups, some cohesion on offense and defense, and at the very least, A GENERAL DISPLAY OF COMPETENCE. Whatever that abomination I just watched was...it was the exact OPPOSITE of everything I just said.

I'm not an "overreact to the preseason" guy. I am also not a "nothing in the preseason matters at all" guy. I think preseason performance very much CAN be an omen of things to come. For years during the drought, the Bills would be awful in the preseason, and we'd all say "it's only preseason!", and lo and behold, they'd be awful in the regular season, too. Conversely, McDermott's squads have always looked pretty good in preseason. Well organized, executing well, winning matchups, etc, and then that would carry over to the regular season.

To overreact to this game would, of course, be foolish. To completely sweep it under the rug, though, and to pretend like it's not at least a little bit concerning...that seems just as foolish. This was U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, ugly. Just bad in every way a thing can be bad. I want the last three hours of my summer Saturday back.

One of the things I'm pretty disappointed about is we didn't actually get to see the 1st team offense play, not just because they were ass, but Knox wasn't out there. Pretty sure him and Kincaid are going to be a big part of what we do this year and it would have been fun to see.

• Like (+1) 1

Bright spots:

Kincaid appears to be borderline elite already. Rare improv route ability, hands, smoothness. Kelce ceiling.

O’Cyrus was maybe the best OLineman tonight. Should be a solid starting RG immediately

CB Alex Austin  & Siran Neal brought passion most other players lacked and made a few strong plays

if Gabe’s ankles can stay healthy, he can be WR1b type

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

No it hasn't, Sternberger can't block and the Bills will keep 3 TE's only because Kincaid wont be used as a blocker indicating that the 3rd TE has to be able to block. He can't.

In addition, Shorter has looked today but he is a very awkward pass catcher. Looks like he lacks confidence in his hands and body catches everything but even when he body catches he looks like he tries to absorb it in his body everytime.

Idk about Shorter, feel he has high ceiling if he's coachable 

Heard all off season he has been great on ST which is huge 

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The talent is fine. Look around the NFL, it’s still a top 5 roster. 

I know you’re a glass completely empty guy, but it’s a preseason game. 

It’s a preseason game with plenty of context and history behind it. I think a lot of fans are frustrated because they recognized what they saw. 

“Top 5 roster” is cliched fluff.

38 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Trying not to overreact to a preseason game but it’s done little to change my view that this team is in a flat/declining. There needs to be significant growth in the coaching staff this year. 

This is more an overreaction to the Bengals playoff game that people are still butthurt by.

The Bills were an excellent team for the majority of last year, then had a ton of injuries. They got better in the off-season in all but one position.

Anyone viewing them as Declining is stuck in the early 2000’s and bracing for sadness.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Success said:

I really hate preseason overreactions. But there was a lot to digest tonight, and it all can't be filed under "it's just preseason."

I think the biggest concern I have is that McD has too much on his plate now.  Penalties and general undisciplined play are not a good look at any time.  I really hope we don't end up thinking that the combined HC/DC thing was an experiment that just didnt work.

That too much on his plate observation is spot on 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

One of the things I'm pretty disappointed about is we didn't actually get to see the 1st team offense play, not just because they were ass, but Knox wasn't out there. Pretty sure him and Kincaid are going to be a big part of what we do this year and it would have been fun to see.

Well really it is better to keep those plays off tape as they can use element if surprise against Jets.  

19 minutes ago, Success said:

I’d give them the next preseason game to get it sorted out. If it’s 2 weeks in a row then I agree it is concerning. 

But better to deal with this stuff in the preseason. Let McD run snap drills with the Oline all week until they won’t screw up again.  It could’ve been 21-14 at half if not for all those false starts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

This is more an overreaction to the Bengals playoff game that people are still butthurt by.

The Bills were an excellent team for the majority of last year, then had a ton of injuries. They got better in the off-season in all but one position.

Anyone viewing them as Declining is stuck in the early 2000’s and bracing for sadness.

I think you’re right…

Coming out flat in a preseason game normally would be brushed off. 

After the Bengals game, it brought back a lot of bad memories.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Their brains just can’t handle multiple variables. 

Part of the flattening they see are the struggles last year during our crazy adversities. Their emotions pulled the rug out from underneath after the Bengals game and they all collectively “forgot” the insane unnatural things the team had to deal with all year. 

Not to mention the “no excuses” mentality common with real life losers. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It’s hard to gauge what’s what when Allen’s play can cover up so much. We’ll see what happens. 

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

I love Allen and what he has done for this team and organization, but my god, he deserves so much better. How do you have an elite, top 3 QB(I have him behind Mahomes, but I know people debate him vs Burrow)and not do everything humanly possible to make his life easier? How?? You don't fix the OL? You could have gotten Hopkins and given him a solid #2 receiver. Beane basically did nothing this offseason. Josh deserves a SB, and I feel like this organization is borderline dysfunctional. I feel some sort of Matt Stafford arc for him coming. He keeps being let down by the coaches/mahagement, goes to another team in his 30's and wins the whole thing. Just embarrassing.

please stop with the Hopkins thing. There's a reason he went to TENN and not KC or Buf  - $$$$. It's all he wanted, and to say "we could have gotten him" is just plain wrong. He wasn't taking less $$ to go to a BUF or or KC. It's his last contract, and someone else who had the $ paid it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Your rationality and logic does nothing to satisfy my addiction.

Understood I want to see the DK twins in action and everything clicking.  I'm gonna believe this ...

McD and Tomlin worked put a scripted game and had Matt Barkley toss up 3 int.  Needed to get the narrative from fans away from Barkley for backup.  Not sure what up with the bad OT play if scripted.   Tommy Doyle injury doesn't sound good and it just amplifies how hard it is to play in trenches.  

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Bright spots:

Kincaid appears to be borderline elite already. Rare improv route ability, hands, smoothness. Kelce ceiling.

O’Cyrus was maybe the best OLineman tonight. Should be a solid starting RG immediately

CB Alex Austin  & Siran Neal brought passion most other players lacked and made a few strong plays

if Gabe’s ankles can stay healthy, he can be WR1b type

Don't get too excited about Gabe...........sure he made an impressive catch on the sideline that could have been big..........but the long developing plays that Gabe NEEDS to get open and impress are also something that lead to A LOT of mistakes.    Holding penalties, turnovers etc...   That's why he had an 80 passer rating last year despite averaging almost 18 yards per reception.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I mean this is just awful from Spencer Brown. Gets knocked off balance, hops back awkwardly, then grabs his guy as a last resort to stop Allen from getting walloped. He's supposedly had a pretty good camp but if this is what it's going to look like in real games we are in deep trouble. And that's Markus Golden doing that to him, not a top tier edge rusher.

Looks like Dawkins got away with one, otherwise he was beat (again) too. You can see #51, 4th round rookie Nick Herbig, get jerked back right after his spin.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.