Game Day Thread? Bills @ Steelers 8/19

EmotionallyUnstable

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Because of his performance last season, what they invested in him, and wanting him to grow through in season experience.

It doesn't really matter how others behind him play or what he does in minimal Pre-Season snaps. He hasn't done anything so terribly that they're washing their hands of he investment.

Say again?

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sternberger vs Morris for TE3 just got interesting. He shows some YAC

No it hasn't, Sternberger can't block and the Bills will keep 3 TE's only because Kincaid wont be used as a blocker indicating that the 3rd TE has to be able to block. He can't.

In addition, Shorter has looked today but he is a very awkward pass catcher. Looks like he lacks confidence in his hands and body catches everything but even when he body catches he looks like he tries to absorb it in his body everytime.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

No it hasn't, Sternberger can't block and the Bills will keep 3 TE's only because Kincaid wont be used as a blocker indicating that the 3rd TE has to be able to block. He can't.

In addition, Shorter has looked today but he is a very awkward pass catcher. Looks like he lacks confidence in his hands and body catches everything but even when he body catches he looks like he tries to absorb it in his body everytime.

Exactly. Cut Shorter. He's not that guy.  Big frame has to body catch  nullifies the big frame.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

And will be taken off it by another team. See Blackshear.

Really all of his good tape so far has been against bottom of the roster guys who is that hard up for a back up RB that they're going to take him specifically and not any of the others that are probably getting cut around the league?

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Say again?

Okay, I will.

It doesn't really matter if you've picked out a play or two this Pre-Season that was less than. What matters is how the team has positioned him during Training Camp and the Pre-Season and the investment they've made in him.

He's not going to go from running with the 1's and 2's exclusively to not even being the 6th or 7th WR on this team. The dude is safe.

Posters do this every season. Pick out a player or two they think shouldn't be here and when cuts are made they're safe because of their standing with the team and the investment made. 

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Really all of his good tape so far has been against bottom of the roster guys who is that hard up for a back up RB that they're going to take him specifically and not any of the others that are probably getting cut around the league?

Same could be said for Blackshear, and the Panthers took him. One injury and a team may look around for a promising project they could mould.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree… unfortunately this preseason game confirmed what many worried about… offensive line and MLB(though I admit I was never concerned here). 

I said in the thread when  Beane re-signed Quess, that if this is his back up plan  at OT should Brown crap the bed ( again) then he was playing with fire,,. This is my major concern heading into the season proper ,,,

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Van Denmark sealed off his man, creating the hole on that TD run. Very impressed by what I've seen from him the past two weeks. Presumably he will get the start next week with Dawkins likely sitting. I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

I said earlier, and it doesn't really mean much but after watching him for two weeks, he might be our best pass blocking tackle on the roster and 2nd overall behind Dawkins.

• Like (+1) 1

That was the most painful preseason game watching experience I may have ever had.

If anyone read my pre-game post about the Kansas diner waitress named Marge, well...

Anyway...YES, it's true that the final scores of preseason games don't matter and that the schemes are vanilla. With that said, you'd like to see crisp execution, players winning matchups, some cohesion on offense and defense, and at the very least, A GENERAL DISPLAY OF COMPETENCE. Whatever that abomination I just watched was...it was the exact OPPOSITE of everything I just said.

I'm not an "overreact to the preseason" guy. I am also not a "nothing in the preseason matters at all" guy. I think preseason performance very much CAN be an omen of things to come. For years during the drought, the Bills would be awful in the preseason, and we'd all say "it's only preseason!", and lo and behold, they'd be awful in the regular season, too. Conversely, McDermott's squads have always looked pretty good in preseason. Well organized, executing well, winning matchups, etc, and then that would carry over to the regular season.

To overreact to this game would, of course, be foolish. To completely sweep it under the rug, though, and to pretend like it's not at least a little bit concerning...that seems just as foolish. This was U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, ugly. Just bad in every way a thing can be bad. I want the last three hours of my summer Saturday back.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Almost like he didn't know about linemen then either and hucked it all on the QB to be God and it didn't work.  They ruined the QB and then fell apart.

McDermott was only DC in Carolina under HC Rivera.  He had little input in team rosters outside his defensive roster, and then who knows how much as Rivera is a defensive coach.  He may have called all shots on players and schemes.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Didn't he catch most his catches today with his hands besides that last one?

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I said earlier, and it doesn't really mean much but after watching him for two weeks, he might be our best pass blocking tackle on the roster and 2nd overall behind Dawkins.

In Van Demark is the 2nd best pass blocking tackle on the team that is an incredible indictment of Beane, Dorsey, and Kromer. Absolute turnstile who will get QB hurt.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Just watched it again. Zero give up. He literally dove full speed trying to tackle him

That's Poyer; he doesn't giv up. He goes 100% on every play.

Poyer may have lost a step but remember he's a safety and they don't have the speed of a DB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.