Zero Bills Preseason Games on National TV

Mark Vader

Cancel them all. They are useless unnecessary injury risk games. 

Bills staff probably already knows 51 of the 53 guys to make the roster. They probably know 7 of the 10 guys they want on the PS.

I wouldn't play a single starter a single snap in preseason. 

And I'm right. COVID season proved the quality of play was no different without preseason games. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah, those 6 prime time regular season games really show the media’s “small market bias” towards the Bills.

What a joke; I expected better from you, Shaw.

The Bills are an elite NFL franchise and are treated as such in the media.

I think should have been precise; thee regular season is different from the preseason.   The preseason TV schedule is driven by what the fans think - the fans seem to think the Bills are done, so the networks don't want to show the Bills.   I think the regular season is driven more by common sense - the networks know who the good teams are, and the NFL knows who the good teams are, so the Bills got a lot of prime-time slots.   

I look at the ESPN.com NFL home page most days, and it amazes me how few of the stories are about the Bills.   It's because the fans aren't interested in the Bills this off season, so ESPN knows not to cover them much.  That will change once the season starts, because I think the Bills will be a force to be reckoned with.   When the Bills are dominant in the league, the fans will take notice again. 

It's what I've always said - the Bills have to earn their coverage.   The Giants, the Jets, the Cowboys, they don't have to do anything and they're on the front pages. 

43 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

They stream a lot of them, but I know they're not streaming the upcoming Bills @ Colts. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to watch the replay, though.

How do you know this?  It says right on the website "Stream live out of market NFL Pre Season games"

I looked and I see every game available to stream except Buffalo.  I live in Buffalo though so thats probably why I can't stream it, because I am in market.  I don't pay for it and I am not trying to advertise for it.  I just want to know how you know this.  Their website doesn't say stream "SOME" it says stream "out of market"

44 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

How do you know this?  It says right on the website "Stream live out of market NFL Pre Season games"

I looked and I see every game available to stream except Buffalo.  I live in Buffalo though so thats probably why I can't stream it, because I am in market.  I don't pay for it and I am not trying to advertise for it.  I just want to know how you know this.  Their website doesn't say stream "SOME" it says stream "out of market"

If you go onto NFL.com, click the [schedule] menu, and then [Pre Season Week One], it lists all the games. You can then click on [How to Watch] for each game, and there are a few, including the Bills, that are only replayed on NFL+.

For better or for worse, a lot of people moved out of Buffalo over the last several decades.  Most have remained loyal Bills fans - it's what we do.  Plus, Bills fandom tends to be much stronger than fandom of other teams.  Many fans have no interest in watching pre-season games.  Bills fans watch practices.

My point is that it would behoove NFL Network (or networks) to pick up Bills preseason games on a national basis, because it will generate a lot of viewers.

16 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

We have 6 primtetime games this year lol.  In the "nobody cares" years we would get the mandatory Thursday and that was it.

yeah, that was a totally bizarre take.

Anyway, millions will be deprived live viewing of the Barkley vs. Other Allen preseason Bills!!!!  

I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER MY OUTRAGE!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

So who should the bills be targeting in round 1 next year? 

Picking 32 won't be lot of the top talent left but I'd go with best ol keep that line improving and all our skill players will have easier games doing what they do at a high level.

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think should have been precise; thee regular season is different from the preseason.   The preseason TV schedule is driven by what the fans think - the fans seem to think the Bills are done, so the networks don't want to show the Bills.   I think the regular season is driven more by common sense - the networks know who the good teams are, and the NFL knows who the good teams are, so the Bills got a lot of prime-time slots.   

I look at the ESPN.com NFL home page most days, and it amazes me how few of the stories are about the Bills.   It's because the fans aren't interested in the Bills this off season, so ESPN knows not to cover them much.  That will change once the season starts, because I think the Bills will be a force to be reckoned with.   When the Bills are dominant in the league, the fans will take notice again. 

It's what I've always said - the Bills have to earn their coverage.   The Giants, the Jets, the Cowboys, they don't have to do anything and they're on the front pages. 

You know this based upon what?  Your experience in NFL programming?  It’s an awful take.  If anything, the networks want to showcase teams in preseason who have high profile early draft picks (QBs), bad teams that are expected to “turn the corner,” or teams featuring superstars who switched teams in the offseason.  The Bills are “boring” in that regard as one of the league’s most stable organizations.

As for national coverage, have you missed the multiple threads on TSW about national pundits specifically talking about the Bills?  Josh Allen is all over the place.  The media loved the Diggs fiasco.

The lack of Bills’ preseason games being aired live is nothing more than a random anomaly.  There are no “real” NFL fans who believe the Bills are “done.”

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's consistent with how the media always cover the Bills.   Until you're viewed by the general public as legitimately good, the Bills don't get covered.  The general public believed the Bills were good for exactly one year:  from 13 seconds to the loss to the Bengals.   Now, the general public has forgotten about the Bills again.  The Bills have to win something to become relevant to the general public; until then, the networks aren't interested.   It's life in a small market. 

I mean I get what you are saying but I don't think what you said is true.  The Bills are all over national TV this year including 3 4 PM national windows on top of a max primetime schedule.  I have never seen them on this much national slots in 28 years living out of the region.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

You know this based upon what?  Your experience in NFL programming?  It’s an awful take.  If anything, the networks want to showcase teams in preseason who have high profile early draft picks (QBs), bad teams that are expected to “turn the corner,” or teams featuring superstars who switched teams in the offseason.  The Bills are “boring” in that regard as one of the league’s most stable organizations.

As for national coverage, have you missed the multiple threads on TSW about national pundits specifically talking about the Bills?  Josh Allen is all over the place.  The media loved the Diggs fiasco.

The lack of Bills’ preseason games being aired live is nothing more than a random anomaly.  There are no “real” NFL fans who believe the Bills are “done.”

It's not a random anomaly.  There's millions of dollars at stake.  The networks don't do random.

Your first paragraph explains it.  There are stories about teams that were of interest to the fans during the offseason. Other than Hamlin, those stories were not about the Bills.  The networks know which teams were interesting to the fans, so those are the teams they show.  

During the season it's different.  There the networks fight to get the best teams and the best games. The networks know the Bills should be competing for the title, so they want prime time games with the Bills.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's not a random anomaly.  There's millions of dollars at stake.  The networks don't do random.

Your first paragraph explains it.  There are stories about teams that were of interest to the fans during the offseason. Other than Hamlin, those stories were not about the Bills.  The networks know which teams were interesting to the fans, so those are the teams they show.  

During the season it's different.  There the networks fight to get the best teams and the best games. The networks know the Bills should be competing for the title, so they want prime time games with the Bills.  

Nice backpedal.  You said preseason NFL programming is based upon “what the fans think.”  No fans think the Bills are bad or “done” — you are just clinging to the “poor us in a small market” mentality.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

There's no compelling reason to show the Bills in the preseason nationally. No story to highlight.  A veteran team ready to contend for the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I mean, I guess you have not seen the endless amount of coverage from various outlets about not only Josh's breakup with Brittany, but his relationship with Hailee Steinfeld, along with the endless coverage about Diggs and Diggs and Josh's relationship. There has been talk about them this offseason, even if it wasn't talk about the teams trajectory. Your takes on this are a little bizarre 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Nice backpedal.  You said preseason NFL programming is based upon “what the fans think.”  No fans think the Bills are bad or “done” — you are just clinging to the “poor us in a small market” mentality.

No, I'm not doing that, but I don't mind if you think so.  It's no big deal. 

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

If you go onto NFL.com, click the [schedule] menu, and then [Pre Season Week One], it lists all the games. You can then click on [How to Watch] for each game, and there are a few, including the Bills, that are only replayed on NFL+.

I assume you are out of market?  Thats a bummer considering how they advertise what they give you for a subscription.

15 hours ago, eball said:

Aren’t all the preseason games on NFL+?

I guess I don’t even understand the premise of this thread.  Who the hell cares if preseason games are nationally televised?

With the reduction in games from 4 to 3 and the late cutdown date, literally none of these games feature players we’ll be seeing on Sundays this fall.

Every year since they started Game Pass, then NFL+, season ticket holders for a free subscription. This year I asked my rep and he didn't know if it was happening this year. That would suck. That and my Bills Bucks were the only perks I liked.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

20 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I think NFL+ streams out of market preseason games.  Not 100% positive on that but it's a place to look.

I found direct TV, sling tv, peacock plus and Hulu + live tv carry the preseason games via streaming.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

I saw in the Daily News this morning that the Colts are now a 5-point favorite on Saturday. Pretty obvious the "counterfeit" Bills are playing, and the Colts will be putting a better a line up out there. But who in their right mind would bet on preseason football. Teams just evaluate players especially draft picks. Teams aren't going all out to win these games.

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

How much do you guys really enjoy preseason games.  They are so vanilla with very little planning.  Heck Marv back in the day would routinely go 0-4 in the nothing season and then light 11-13 wins in the regular season.

I honestly don’t care.  

Preseason means the start of tailgating season which is nice. As for the game itself, I think the longest I ever stayed at one was until halftime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

How much do you guys really enjoy preseason games.  They are so vanilla with very little planning.  Heck Marv back in the day would routinely go 0-4 in the nothing season and then light 11-13 wins in the regular season.

I honestly don’t care.  

I enjoy them for what they are.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Here is the full Bills replay schedule:

Colts game replays: Sunday Aug 13 7am and Wednesday Aug 16 4pm on NFLN

Steelers game replay: Wednesday Aug 23 8pm on NFLN.

Bears game replay: TBA

Thanks Mr Robot

I’m going to assume the times you listed are eastern time zone? 

On 8/8/2023 at 6:27 AM, Gregg said:

I saw in the Daily News this morning that the Colts are now a 5-point favorite on Saturday. Pretty obvious the "counterfeit" Bills are playing, and the Colts will be putting a better a line up out there. But who in their right mind would bet on preseason football. Teams just evaluate players especially draft picks. Teams aren't going all out to win these games.

Because gambling can be an addiction. Gotta feed that addiction somehow.

This morning the channel guide on Direct TV listed the Colts vs. Bills game for 1 PM on the alternate NFL Network channel, 212-1.  Whether or not it's actually going to happen on the alternate channel I'll find out at 1.  Set it to record to watch later.  If whatever you subscribe to has an NFL Network alternate you might want to check the listing for this afternoon.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.