Spencer Brown Injury Concern

vtnatefootball11

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Brown was also later seen riding his e-bike or scooter to the dining hall - though I suppose a guy with a bad back can manage that

The Bills have Brandon Shell on the roster.  Shell has started 72 games at RT in the NFL

Agree on Quessenbery, didn't like what I saw in his 3 starts last year, but, he has started 26 career games, most I believe at RT

Both of these guys would be a better alternative to moving a strictly-guard OLman to RT or (for goodness sake) trying to pull Lee Smith, a TE and 6th lineman, out of retirement for a primary OL role (I know that's not your suggestion but I read it right here)

Some sort of electric device - golf scooter I think actually.

Haha I know. Hoverboard sounds better though. Imagine that. 

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Very negligent going into the season with this RT situation.

Fans don’t seem to understand. It’s the same thing with WR. The Bills and Josh Allen love Spencer Brown and Gabe Davis. 

This not about negligence. This is a scouting issue. It’s more about talent evaluation. I also believe both players are propped up by their all pro QB.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

59 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Well we will see what ol are cut just before season starts.  Might find a stopgap if we need one then to get thru the season.  With luck we'll be picking last in first round next year and maybe a good ot prospect falls to us at that pick. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans don’t seem to understand. It’s the same thing with WR. The Bills and Josh Allen love Spencer Brown and Gabe Davis. 

This not about negligence. This is a scouting issue. It’s more about talent evaluation. I also believe both players are propped up by their all pro QB.

Because the game Davis had in post season was the throws, not toe taps, not fighting for the ball last season? Brown lighting defenders up 10 yards down field. 
it’s always easy to remember the bad things. The game is complimentary. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Davis is a 4th round pick, selected to complement Diggs, on a contract that pays less than $1 million year. He’s not the reason we lost to Cincy, Minny, NJJ, or Miami. That was a good draft pick. Nothing wrong with our scouting. Even teams like KC make mistakes. Ex: Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the first round. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Because some team is going to be lining up to trade for a guy who literally by himself dropped the Bills from a top 10 NFL lines in metrics to 26th, and has a bad back on top of that?

Where do people come up with this kind of stuff?

Nobody said Spencer Brown was worth squat,  he is completley un tradable, not even future considerations.  Doesn't mean you can't go out and find a replacement off some other teams roster. This is a Superbowl contender, you can't just sign some scrub

• Like (+1) 1

This thread has it all!

- Panic over our RT being out for the season because his back was sore after practice.

- Multiple posters saying we're in for a long season if Quessenberry is the starting RT in his place.

(He's not, we signed Brandon Shell and he's taking all the 2nd team reps at RT)

- Suggestion that we should sign a street free agent Tight End to be the RT.

- Suggestion that we should bring a guy out of retirement to start at RT.

You guys are absolutely killin it. Keep up the good work! 👏👏👏

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Really is a shame the coaching staff doesn't get this like the poster here do.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Davis is a 4th round pick, selected to complement Diggs, on a contract that pays less than $1 million year. He’s not the reason we lost to Cincy, Minny, NJJ, or Miami. That was a good draft pick. Nothing wrong with our scouting. Even teams like KC make mistakes. Ex: Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the first round. 

There’s something called pro scouting. They aren’t the best at evaluating their own talent IMO.

36 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Really is a shame the coaching staff doesn't get this like the poster here do.

Yeah.  If they listened to people on here they’d have drafted busts like Metcalf and Humphries.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The Lee Smith idea wasnt to offer him starting RT job lol but I think for starters we better make sure we have a block first TE on the roster to help out whoever is starting at RT.... not sure if we have that in Gilliam or Morris.

They could sign Lee Smith to practice squad.  Josh Allen said he learned a lot from Lee Smith when he was on roster. He probably is missing team at this point but his company "Triple F Elite Sports Training" seems to doing okay. Perhaps he as other instructors who can pick up the slack.

F1MlL5xXsAA0Cya?format=jpg

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  If they listened to people on here they’d have drafted busts like Metcalf and Humphries.

And traded starting DE to Arizona Cardinals John Skelton.  For every trade or draft pick which may have worked out there are many more idiot ideas.

Edited by Limeaid
typo
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It's not that big a concern to me honestly

Going from really bad to awful isn't going to hurt the line that much

The concern is that injuries will prevent him from reaching his potential as a player and living up to his draft position.

8 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Agree on being shut down until it's good, not just good enough.

That's something I don't understand about the whole best ability is available ility. Look at how great Gabe Davis has looked in camp. Why wouldn't he have sat longer with the high ankle sprain to let it heal more and allow him to be more explosive at the end of the year? They did the same thing playing him against the Chiefs in 2020 I believe and it really cost them as he should have been inactive.

Allen should have been sat down for a week or two last year too...just because you can play doesn't mean you should, give the depth a chance and let players heal as much as possible so when they come back you're getting an effective player...I don't get it.

Actually without going case to case, I believe the Bills are one of the teams that rush players back less often than the NFL norm.

4 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Brandon Shell is a prototypical specimen. His uncle is a Hall of Famer at the same position.

He's played 70 games in the NFL and started 61 of those.

He's one of the best backup tackles in the NFL.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Edmunds is gone now.  Join the scapegoat crowd.  It’s Davis.

34 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

And they’d be picking cherries for decades upon end..

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How’s Dorian Williams looking?

Lol he played against the 47th string.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Edmunds is gone now.  Join the scapegoat crowd.  It’s Davis.

And they’d be picking cherries for decades upon end..

Lol he played against the 47th string.

The guy he was blocking made me my bagel at Tom Hortons this morning 

43 minutes ago, eball said:

Pick any cherries lately?

Of course.  We also would've drafted Rosen, traded for Antonio Brown, and pry overpaid for Ertz and Watt.  However, those were the two I remember a lot of posters pounding the table for.  Instead we traded up for Ford and doubled down at DE with Basham.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

His training camp is likely ruined now.  Hopefully one of Shell/Quess/Gouraige can step up and not suck.

Maybe edwards or McGovern can play RT?  Doubtful.  

😢 worst case scenario in motion

I think Edwards might have been an All American tackle. Brandon Shell has been getting lot of reps at RT

10 hours ago, goldenboy81 said:

It will be a tough year if Quessenberry is starting

What if it is Shell? You think he is worse than  Brown?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

I think Edwards might have been an All American tackle. Brandon Shell has been getting lot of reps at RT

What if it is Shell? You think he is worse than  Brown?

Not sure anyone who has started as many games as Shell could be technically worse than Brown. I don't say that with the kind of harsh judgment it might seem. Just the objective bottom line: Spencer Brown has NOT performed well in the NFL to date. He has traits, and potential, and personality, and works hard in the offseason (even going so far once or maybe twice to briefly MOVE IN WITH (if I remember correctly) a former 3X all-pro OT who was similarly athletic)...but due to injuries and unfortunately what looks like maybe a lack of footspeed and agility, the guy has struggled. 

Now, maybe like the underlying Gabe Davis narrative (that injuries have disrupted him more than we know and he's been a trooper to play through them), what happens this season will go a long way towards clarifying things one way or another. Was the back injury and reported lack of offseason training and practice reps THAT impactful last season?

I can easily declare OT my least favorite position on the depth chart for 2023. I don't really care much about MLB in the full context of that defense. WR depth is a thing for many but there is some at least average depth behind Diggs now that Kincaid has entered the picture. And interior OL looks to be MUCH improved. DT? Adding Poona ford is a pretty big deal. DE? Definition of rotational depth (Floyd a sneaky good add). Et cetera. They've added some interesting talent everywhere but MLB and OT, in my eyes. Hopefully one of Shell or Doyle or that Gairage (sp?) person can add value in replacing or filling in for Brown and/or Dawkins. Feels thin out there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Not sure anyone who has started as many games as Shell could be technically worse than Brown. I don't say that with the kind of harsh judgment it might seem. Just the objective bottom line: Spencer Brown has NOT performed well in the NFL to date. He has traits, and potential, and personality, and works hard in the offseason (even going so far once or maybe twice to briefly MOVE IN WITH (if I remember correctly) a former 3X all-pro OT who was similarly athletic)...but due to injuries and unfortunately what looks like maybe a lack of footspeed and agility, the guy has struggled. 

Now, maybe like the underlying Gabe Davis narrative (that injuries have disrupted him more than we know and he's been a trooper to play through them), what happens this season will go a long way towards clarifying things one way or another. Was the back injury and reported lack of offseason training and practice reps THAT impactful last season?

I can easily declare OT my least favorite position on the depth chart for 2023. I don't really care much about MLB in the full context of that defense. WR depth is a thing for many but there is some at least average depth behind Diggs now that Kincaid has entered the picture. And interior OL looks to be MUCH improved. DT? Adding Poona ford is a pretty big deal. DE? Definition of rotational depth (Floyd a sneaky good add). Et cetera. They've added some interesting talent everywhere but MLB and OT, in my eyes. Hopefully one of Shell or Doyle or that Gairage (sp?) person can add value in replacing or filling in for Brown and/or Dawkins. Feels thin out there.

OT certainly the biggest weakness on paper

Brown has the traits for an all pro...  The consistency and tape .... No...

It's make or break time 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

OT certainly the biggest weakness on paper

Brown has the traits for an all pro...  The consistency and tape .... No...

It's make or break time 

He's giant, strong, and technically athletic as hell. But is he nimble and balanced and quick to react and flexible in the ways that make an OT consistently excellent? 

I wonder if there should be an athletic combine test for linemen that measures and quantifies athleticism when RETREATING? Sprinting forward and pivoting around cones and doing shuttle drills doesn't really capture how linemen earn their money and keep their QBs upright. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/03/spencer-brown-buffalo-bills-training-camp-injury-nfl/

It appears Spencer Brown's back was so bad after yesterday's practice, he couldn't even bend over to pick up his helmet and had to be helped to the side. Didn't see anyone post on this yet.  This is incredibly concerning after last year.  What is the backup plan? Can Torrence play RT?? Have to believe the FO does something to address this.  Quessenberry is not going to cut it. 

Doesn't necessarily have to be the same injury.

If it is, that is not good. Very not good.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

The Bills have had years to deal with the rt position and they're sticking with one of the worst in the NFL because ...potential?. 

The guy was a total project to begin with and has been a terrible starting tackle every year. It's passed time to admit the project is a failure. The ***** line has held the team back for too long. I wish him no ill will but  if he is unable to play then at least someone like Shell will get the chance. If Shell isn't the guy, I don't think it would be too hard to find someone better than Brown.  Whoever it is, the Bills should find him right away.

Do Not let the RT spot derail the season

The thing is, he hasn't been a terrible starting tackle every year. That's way overstating it. When healthy he's had some times when he was pretty damn solid.  And as a first year guy and a second-year guy with a back injury, particularly a guy with limited time in college, that's really good.

He's looked bad and he's looked good. Both. But he has had those time when he's been able to do the job pretty well.

If the injury doesn't hold him back it looks like he's got a really good chance to be good. If it does hold him back particularly in the long term, not so much.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The guy he was blocking made me my bagel at Tom Hortons this morning 

Tom Hortons?

Edited by Thurman#1

12 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The thing is, he hasn't been a terrible starting tackle every year. That's way overstating it. When healthy he's had some times when he was pretty damn solid.  And as a first year guy and a second-year guy with a back injury, particularly a guy with limited time in college, that's really good.

He's looked bad and he's looked good. Both. But he has had those time when he's been able to do the job pretty well.

If the injury doesn't hold him back it looks like he's got a really good chance to be good. If it does hold him back particularly in the long term, not so much.

Tom Hortons?

Ooooh don't talk ***** about me and auto correct!!!

I'm trying my best 

As with last year, my prediction is we go as far as the OLine will allow.

I don't like the depth at all and RT is an obvious issue. It's really too bad. I'm hoping against hope that something crazy happens like Gouraige is actually good and gets a shot to show it (lol), or that we manage to add a veteran in a trade or during cuts who is a solid starter. I wouldn't bet on either unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Of course.  We also would've drafted Rosen, traded for Antonio Brown, and pry overpaid for Ertz and Watt.  However, those were the two I remember a lot of posters pounding the table for.  Instead we traded up for Ford and doubled down at DE with Basham.

Exactly, Doc. Yeah, wish we were one of those teams that draft perfectly, correctly selecting the best possible player at every spot year after year, decade after decade, without every making a wrong move. 

Fans have had some good thoughts, moments where we/they did know better than Beane, on guys like Creed Humphries and such. But they forget so easily the times tables were pounded into splinters on these forums for guys like Ertz, Owusu-Koromoah and Jalen Raegor. And Andy Isabella. I liked Isabella too, and so far that doesn't show great judgment on my part. I also loved Terry McLaurin, (and had never heard of Dawson Knox) but that's the thing, nobody's perfect. Ain't a GM in the world that doesn't make significant numbers of mistakes, and there are no exceptions.

There are also few GMs that have put together winning percentages like this edition of the Bills has for the last three years. Beane is damn good at his job. 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ooooh don't talk ***** about me and auto correct!!!

I'm trying my best 

😄

I know what you mean, drives me nuts. I just spent about two minutes on Owusu-Koromoah, trying to reject it's helpfulness.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Dopey said:

I agree with everything except one thing.   Davis dropped a pass in the endZone that would have put the bills up in Miami with less than two minutes left 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Doesn't necessarily have to be the same injury.

If it is, that is not good. Very not good.

The report of him not being able to pick up his helmet was after practice on Thursday.  He played last night with no limitations.

• Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Would not shock me if beane it’s not keeping a very close eye on waivers for atackle

Perhaps I’m stating the obvious, but it’s Beane’s (and the director of pro personnel’s) job to be keeping an eye on waivers.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, NickelCity said:

As with last year, my prediction is we go as far as the OLine will allow.

I don't like the depth at all and RT is an obvious issue. It's really too bad. I'm hoping against hope that something crazy happens like Gouraige is actually good and gets a shot to show it (lol), or that we manage to add a veteran in a trade or during cuts who is a solid starter. I wouldn't bet on either unfortunately.

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

What about: 

Awesome coverage. A little granny and hampered Gabe’s right arm from reaching out. That’s not why we lost the game though. I guess we just excuse Josh’s 2 picks that game. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.