Outside of MLB, Where are the Bills Worse in 2023?

jwhit34

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

We peaked week 1 and were atop of the world week 2. Id even argue week 3 we were still kings. We were still solid until we got to green bay. And that's when we fell flat on our face.

Yea second half of the Green Bay game was the first time we struggled to find an offensive rhythm, and it kinda stumbled on from there. But the Bills just played terribly in the playoff loss. No explanation for it. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea second half of the Green Bay game was the first time we struggled to find an offensive rhythm, and it kinda stumbled on from there. But the Bills just played terribly in the playoff loss. No explanation for it. 

If we're being honest, the Bills played terrible in every game after the Damar Hamlin injury.  

The worst of the 3 games being our pathetic performance against the Bengals, who - it didn't help - are on another level from the Pats and Tua-less Dolphins and took further advantage of us being a shell of ourselves. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I truly believe they were physically and emotionally drained.  Just as a fan I know I was.  It was a crazy season and it's over and done with.

While football can be dissected about the skill of a player there is a lot more that gets these guys up to playing their best other than bragging

rights and money.

They are coming off 2 tough post seasons and they know the mettle of their prime opponents.  I'm curious how they handle all that this year.

I'm sticking to what Jordan Poyer said in his "Welcome Back" presser as the key.  When asked, "What does this team need to do to win it all?"

His answer was, "Finish".  I give this team a pretty good chance of doing just that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I agree with most that there will most likely be a steep dropoff left by Tremaine Edmunds but I think AJ Klein will get the start so at least we'll have a veteran there. Another dropoff will be at returner, losing Hines definitely sucks but isn't irreplacable. Other than that I think we really did well at OL, DL adding more weapons for Allen and the RB room looks really good also. I'm ready to get this season started! 

The only steep drop-off I can see in regards to losing Edmunds will be in defensive stats and rankings and I don't even know if there will be any downgrade.  We may arrive at a ranking with a different overall defensive identity without Edmunds, but we may retain or even improve as a defense with whomever wins the spot to teaming up with Milano.

I actually think we will want the defense to be on the field little bit to give our offense time to rest because they will be playing at a high pace and will need time for orange slices and the flossing afterwards. 

Edited by AuntieEm

I'd like to see some resilience from this team, mid-game. I think we have a tendency to have a good day or bad day, but it would be nice to see us turn around a bad first half. 

Arguably they did it against the bears last year after a slow start but it's something we'll need to be able to do against good teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Camp is a week old, and I guess my age has tempered me not over-react to much at this time of year.  Rosters "on paper" are just that.

Even the preseason games don't tell me much as to how the team will be playing in the playoffs and the playoffs is all that matters.

Are there some questions regarding the starters and prime depth?  You betcha.  Do any of us really know what will ultimately happen?

I have to give it a resounding "no".  That uncertainty is the prime reason I love to watch the games as the season progresses!

For the guys on the 90-man roster all I have to say is keeping working hard and give us your best.  Stay as healthy as possible and give me

the entertainment that it's all about.  Football brings out the hopeful "little kid" in me and at this time of year I cannot help but be hopeful!

Go Bills!

This time of year is a huge waste, assuming no one important gets injured.

It's ALL about playing the real games, always was.

I can't believe more people are not focusing (already) on the Monday night opener agains the Jets.

The anticipation for that game, for me, is off the charts.

I cannot wait to see how it plays out.

• Agree 1

In regards to Edmunds and the style of Defense we now play under McDermott..  All we hear about is the aggressive nature of the Defense.  The blitzing, disguised pressure, odd fronts etc.,  for as much of a unicorn as Edmunds is, he had very real weaknesses, and I'm not even sure how he fits in an attacking defense due to his main strength being as a zone coverage linebacker that occupies space and disrupts throwing lanes.  He wasn't a good blitzer, didn't read the run very well, struggled shedding blocks and could be mismatched when forced into man coverage.  

Whether it's Dodson or Bernard, with Rapp potentially rotating in for Dime looks.. they both have very different strengths than Edmunds, and at a fraction of the cost/investment, become cogs on the defense and not focal points.  Thus allowing other positions to take on heavier roles in a different style of defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'd nominate the Secondary as a possible answer to OPs question. If for no other reason than Hyde and Poyer being on the wrong side of 30 and coming off major injuries. Father Time is undefeated, and if either or both of them lose even a step, it will be a step back.

I agree with the OP.  Buffalo is as good or better in every area but middle linebacker.  As others have suggested, though, the loss of Edmunds could be significant.  Hopefully Dodson or Spector can step up.  If one of them can at least display competence, and they can avoid key injuries, the Bills should be tough to win against.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I don’t think you can put the WRs in a vacuum; you have to include the TE room and the addition of Kincaid will make the overall passing game much stronger — as will, I believe, the increased use of Cook as a pass catcher.

And even if we’re just discussing WRs, Harty/Sherfield > McKenzie and Davis was hampered last year by his boo-boo foot.

The Bills’ offense should be noticeably better, IMO.

outside the vacuum you are 100% correct. Kincaid is going to be a difference maker on this team.

McKenzie was more valuable than Harty & Sheffield. I do not think Harty or sheffield can live up to McKenzie's contributions here and would absolutely shocked if either puts up a single 100 yard game in their buffalo career.

harty - 64 catches - 793 yards - avg 16 for 198 yards/season

sherfield - 67 catches - 844 yards - avg 13.5 for 169/season

mckenzie - 141 catches - 1345 yards - 23 avg for  224/season

... but mckenzie in buffalo - 137 catches - 1316 yards - 27 catches for 263 yards/season

why is it sherfield or harty are going to magically surpass mckenzie when he has double their catches, and accounts for 28% less than the two of them combined in yards? plus, 230 career yards rushing.

harty - 4 yr career

9 fumbles

mckenzie - 6 yr career

10 fumbles

sherfield

0 fumbles

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Damn you, Edmunds. Oh, wait, Kelce and Lamar treat Milano like their biotch too?!??!? No way. Not Milano!

Stop it. Edmunds is gone already. 

neat, now find edmunds highlight videos. They're so rare I'd bet a babe ruth rookie card you cant. Matthew on the other hand, plenty of game impacting plays, year in and year out. dude had 12 TFL just last season. Opposed to 6. Woof. 3 Int and 2 Fumble recoveries. Milano is FAR AND AWAY the vastly superior impact player. That's why HE got paid and dummy edmunds was sent walking. It's pretty simple unless you view this team through rose colored glasses. 

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:

In regards to Edmunds and the style of Defense we now play under McDermott..  All we hear about is the aggressive nature of the Defense.  The blitzing, disguised pressure, odd fronts etc.,  for as much of a unicorn as Edmunds is, he had very real weaknesses, and I'm not even sure how he fits in an attacking defense due to his main strength being as a zone coverage linebacker that occupies space and disrupts throwing lanes.  He wasn't a good blitzer, didn't read the run very well, struggled shedding blocks and could be mismatched when forced into man coverage.  

Whether it's Dodson or Bernard, with Rapp potentially rotating in for Dime looks.. they both have very different strengths than Edmunds, and at a fraction of the cost/investment, become cogs on the defense and not focal points.  Thus allowing other positions to take on heavier roles in a different style of defense.  

pshh... yea, ill bet he wont get constantly washed out by sub par OL JAGS in chicago. This bum had 3 QB hits last season, ONE the year before. Chicago overpaid by a TON. Buffalo wont miss a beat. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd nominate the Secondary as a possible answer to OPs question. If for no other reason than Hyde and Poyer being on the wrong side of 30 and coming off major injuries. Father Time is undefeated, and if either or both of them lose even a step, it will be a step back.

Likely edge as well

I would rather a healthy 33 y/o Von Miller than coming off ACL reconstruction year older Von Miller...that outweighs whatever potential improvement in Epenesa/Rousseau +Leonard Floyd imo

Tells me a lot that they decided to let go of Edmunds especially with McD taking over the defense. I don't think his loss will impact the defense as much as people think and McD taking over will make the defense better regardless who MLB is. I think all said the defense will perform better and be better in the playoffs. My opinion of course.

1 hour ago, DeltaDigital said:

neat, now find edmunds highlight videos. They're so rare I'd bet a babe ruth rookie card you cant. Matthew on the other hand, plenty of game impacting plays, year in and year out. dude had 12 TFL just last season. Opposed to 6. Woof. 3 Int and 2 Fumble recoveries. Milano is FAR AND AWAY the vastly superior impact player. That's why HE got paid and dummy edmunds was sent walking. It's pretty simple unless you view this team through rose colored glasses. 

pshh... yea, ill bet he wont get constantly washed out by sub par OL JAGS in chicago. This bum had 3 QB hits last season, ONE the year before. Chicago overpaid by a TON. Buffalo wont miss a beat. 

Come on, now. There's plenty of highlight videos of him. I'm going to guess you don't have a babe ruth card to bet with. Why did Edmunds leave? Hint: to get paid. More than Milano. And you call him a dummy!? Pot to kettle. 

Below: How does Milano start off to the left of Edmunds and end up behind him and to his right?!?!? The cutback was right where your boy Milano should have been. For every "mistake" Edmunds makes in some eyes, I can find a mistake by Milano. Against GB last year, AJ Dillon carried Edmunds an extra 4-5 yds on an attempted tackle. Boy, was he made fun of here. A few plays later, AJ Dillon did the EXACT same thing to Milano. Not a peep. Seems like you don't really watch the game paying attention to LB play but come up with stuff like this. Just regurgitating what you read here by others. There can't be any other reason. Dummy, bum?! What's the hate about? You're mad about something else, aren't you? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

outside the vacuum you are 100% correct. Kincaid is going to be a difference maker on this team.

McKenzie was more valuable than Harty & Sheffield. I do not think Harty or sheffield can live up to McKenzie's contributions here and would absolutely shocked if either puts up a single 100 yard game in their buffalo career.

harty - 64 catches - 793 yards - avg 16 for 198 yards/season

sherfield - 67 catches - 844 yards - avg 13.5 for 169/season

mckenzie - 141 catches - 1345 yards - 23 avg for  224/season

... but mckenzie in buffalo - 137 catches - 1316 yards - 27 catches for 263 yards/season

why is it sherfield or harty are going to magically surpass mckenzie when he has double their catches, and accounts for 28% less than the two of them combined in yards? plus, 230 career yards rushing.

harty - 4 yr career

9 fumbles

mckenzie - 6 yr career

10 fumbles

sherfield

0 fumbles

The only reason Harty's numbers don't dwarf Li'l Dirty's is because of injury -- which is relevant, but I'm working under the assumption that Harty can stay reasonably healthy now that he has the NFL's best training staff.  Li'l Dirty just wasn't reliable.  He'd have a big game (like the Pats* in '21) but disappear for large stretches.  He did not do a good job in the slot.  I'll go with Harty/Sherfield/Y2 Shakir over Li'l Dirty any day.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Nowhere.  And not even sure they are worse at LB, I think Dorian Williams will fill the Edmunds role very well.  

They have ruled that out. Beane said it on OneBillsLive. MIKE is too much for him as a rookie they are going to work him exclusively at WILL behind Milano.

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Mitch Morse is 31 and Dion Dawkins is 29.   The best OL for the Fins is 32 (Armstead).  Best OL for the Chiefs is 30 (Thuney).  If you want to talk about Morse injury history.. valid. 

We are not old on Offense.  

Year 2 RB1 and two veterans.

Top 6 OL are the listed above Dawkins/Morse, along with Brown and Torrence on rookie contracts and McGovern/Bates entering their "prime" years.  

Diggs will be 30 this Fall, but I don't think anyone is worried about his age right now.  Davis/Shakir/Shorter on rookie contracts.  Harty is 25 and Sherfield is 27.  

Knox just entering his prime and Kincaid is a rookie.  

Josh Allen is 27.

-------------

Yes, on Defense, I agree.   Our defense is depending on some older guys/guys coming off injury, in Von - Hyde - Poyer - White.  Those are 4 key guys that likely determine whether or not this defense is "elite". 

I was very clear when I said "back half of prime" or well past.    You don't think Morse and Dawkins are even in back half of their primes?   Morse is probably in his last year altogether and Dawkins is a bad body tackle coming off a down year so I don't see him stringing together another 5 years of prime Dion.    

As for whether the team itself is old or not.....that wasn't my point.....but they ARE old.

When they break camp they will absolutely be one of the 5 oldest rosters in the NFL........in fact they will probably be the oldest roster in the NFL if the Saints aren't.   The Bills were 6th oldest at break of camp last year........and 4 of the 5 "older" teams have all undergone big shakeups and youth movements.

The narrative that they were ever a "young" team was always misleading.   They've been one of the oldest rosters EVERY YEAR going back to the Marrone/Rex years.

Now the numbers add up to probably an average age around 27 years.........and even their top 2 draft picks will hopefully be 24 before the Bills season ends so that's not skewing the numbers down either.

But they are actually old-old on defense.   Legit.   4 starters in secondary deep into second or third contracts.   Von,  Jones, Floyd........all in their 30's.   Can't be any team with that many 30 somethings in key defensive roles.   That is what concerns me about projecting.   Some vets get better at avoiding injury with age but in general there are diminishing returns in terms of availability with age.   Like, 3 years ago it was a virtual given that Hyde and Poyer would be there every game.   Now?  Eh.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

McKenzie has never had a year in his career as good as the 2021 harty had on the dumpster fire passing game saints in only 11 games lol

Crowder hardly even played…why is he now retroactively getting talked up? Why are we comparing our expectations going into 2022 with what we have now when we played a full season with those guys?  Gabe Davis is still gabe Davis for better or worse, crowder never played and is gone, mckenzie was bad and is gone.  

We added the best pass catcher in the draft,a receiver who was ramping up in 2021 then got hurt last year, and a pretty capable player from a division rival that we likely have a lot of insider knowledge of. how can that not be better than what we saw on the field last year? 

Are you saying Crowder has hardly even played in the NFL?    He has over 400 catches for 4500 yards in his career.     

Or are you denigrating the perception of a player heading into camp last year with big career production before somewhat unexpectedly missing almost all of last season.........while then giving props to another in Sharty who has produced relative squat in his career and ALSO missed almost all of last season?  :lol:

Believe it or not.........even in relative obscurity Crowder managed to outproduced Beane's big WR signing(Sharty to clarify) last season.   

43 minutes ago, eball said:

The only reason Harty's numbers don't dwarf Li'l Dirty's is because of injury -- which is relevant, but I'm working under the assumption that Harty can stay reasonably healthy now that he has the NFL's best training staff.  Li'l Dirty just wasn't reliable.  He'd have a big game (like the Pats* in '21) but disappear for large stretches.  He did not do a good job in the slot.  I'll go with Harty/Sherfield/Y2 Shakir over Li'l Dirty any day.

In fairness.........you should note that you didn't think this way about McKenzie last year.     You were high on him.   You made assumptions that he would become something he'd only shown flashes of before.........just as you are doing with the chronically gimpy Sharty.     I guess the flip side is that Lil' Dummy was at least durable.  Or that he had at least had a 100 yard receiving game in his career.  ;) 

It’s so wild that DC and MLB of a top 3 defense isn’t a big loss to some. Kinda hilarious. Reminds me of the London Fletcher makes too many tackles down field stupid days. 

but I do agree other than MLB (it’s going to be a surprise for some of you) and backup QB (not a Kyle Allen fan), we are at worst the Same and mostly likely better.  I think our rb depth is better but DS was a good all around back. And still gotta see it with the receivers. 

but I love being more under the radar this year. I can see us having a worse regular season record (division is going to be really tough) but making a deeper playoff run. Hopefully, Vegas deep. 

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

McKenzie has never had a year in his career as good as the 2021 harty had on the dumpster fire passing game saints in only 11 games lol

Crowder hardly even played…why is he now retroactively getting talked up? Why are we comparing our expectations going into 2022 with what we have now when we played a full season with those guys?  Gabe Davis is still gabe Davis for better or worse, crowder never played and is gone, mckenzie was bad and is gone.  

We added the best pass catcher in the draft,a receiver who was ramping up in 2021 then got hurt last year, and a pretty capable player from a division rival that we likely have a lot of insider knowledge of. how can that not be better than what we saw on the field last year? 

Must we do this?

Apparently we must.

"McKenzie has never had a year in his career as good as the 2021 Harty had"

By what criteria?  Yards?  Ok.  Receptions?  Advantage, McKenzie.  1D?  McKenzie.  TD?  McKenzie  Catch %?  McKenzie

image.thumb.png.1c3c3bd6741e452bcc04fc32776327c0.png  (click to be able to read)

And don't overlook that "Best Ability is AVAIL ability" mantra of Sean McDermott.

"Crowder hardly even played"  He broke his leg the 4th game of the season with the Bills, you know that, right?

It can be "not better than what we saw on the field last year" if Hardy can't stay available and if it turns out Sherfield needed Hill and Waddle on the same team to be able to be productive.

I'm on team "theoretically, we improved".  Theoretically, Sherfield > Kumerow as a WR and Harty has a higher ceiling than McKenzie - IF he can stay healthy.  But games aren't played in theory, they're played on grass or turf on Sunday.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Nowhere.  And not even sure they are worse at LB, I think Dorian Williams will fill the Edmunds role very well.  

Hope so at some point. I know there's not much to go off of to get an idea, but I'm not sure the amount of reps he's had with the 1's so far in TC, but I thought I saw a report that Dodson started pulling ahead of the others a bit and getting most of the reps as of now? 

Edited by Patrick Duffy

Just now, Patrick Duffy said:

Hope so at some point. I know there's not much to go off of to get an idea, but I'm not sure the amount of reps he's had with the 1's so far in TC, but I thought I saw a report that Dodson started pulling ahead of the others a bit and getting most of the reps as of now? 

Dorian Williams is, per Beane and McDermott, not in the rotation for MLB this season.  He will be backing up Milano.

The MLB rotation has been Dodson-Bernard-Spector. 

The kerfluffle is that on Tuesday, which would have been Spector's day, Dodson ran with the 1sts.

So the question is, does that mean Spector is out of the race, or was it just a switch-around for some reason?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dorian Williams is, per Beane and McDermott, not in the rotation for MLB this season.  He will be backing up Milano.

The MLB rotation has been Dodson-Bernard-Spector. 

The kerfluffle is that on Tuesday, which would have been Spector's day, Dodson ran with the 1sts.

So the question is, does that mean Spector is out of the race, or was it just a switch-around for some reason?

It just means we're screwd this year.

And likely playing three box safeties and two deep safeties. two corners. No slot corner excepting sometimes.
Taron is going to be bummed.

JK of course

But really

We could have brought in a decent or better MLB in FA. They were out there,

Its a concern

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Come on, now. There's plenty of highlight videos of him. I'm going to guess you don't have a babe ruth card to bet with. Why did Edmunds leave? Hint: to get paid. More than Milano. And you call him a dummy!? Pot to kettle. 

Below: How does Milano start off to the left of Edmunds and end up behind him and to his right?!?!? The cutback was right where your boy Milano should have been. For every "mistake" Edmunds makes in some eyes, I can find a mistake by Milano. Against GB last year, AJ Dillon carried Edmunds an extra 4-5 yds on an attempted tackle. Boy, was he made fun of here. A few plays later, AJ Dillon did the EXACT same thing to Milano. Not a peep. Seems like you don't really watch the game paying attention to LB play but come up with stuff like this. Just regurgitating what you read here by others. There can't be any other reason. Dummy, bum?! What's the hate about? You're mad about something else, aren't you? 

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

hahahah you're kidding me with this "highlight" right? milano got taken out of the play by a defender who beat his man off the LOS (wasn't even touched), tard-edmunds just got washed, took the wrong read and stumbled on his own two feet. Look here, 1st round vs 5th round. 5th round got paid by his original team and has WAY better statistacal numbers than this lauded 1st rounder. what an "OOF" of a pick. 

Nobody here's calling him dumb for getting paid. im calling him dumb because he's a vastly over rated, over paid football player. nothing more, nothing less.

Nice job projecting tho... I just want the buffalo bills to field the best players given their draft position. It's as much a failure by beane and the scouting staff as it is on edumnds refusal to develop. His rookie year, it looked like we had something with him. So good, I even bought a #49 Jersey. GO LOOK at the stats from his rookie year. They leap off the page. Subsequent years, not so much. I don't need some message board to tell me what to think of this poor football player. I have two eyes.

That's what the hate is about. Whiffing on a 1st round selection that should have been a perennial game changer for 10 years. That's not what we got. 

What else would I be mad about? 

Bears got fleeced, and buffalo wont miss a beat, and MAY actually improve performance out of the MLB spot. Would that settle the argument? 

Edited by DeltaDigital
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Edmunds didn't fit the Edmunds role that well first few years !

Hoping McD has a sincere plan how to manage match ups week in and week out.
Willing to be surprised :)

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They have ruled that out. Beane said it on OneBillsLive. MIKE is too much for him as a rookie they are going to work him exclusively at WILL behind Milano.

why is McD convinced everything is too much for rookies not drafted in the 1st.  Said the same about Milano and others as I recall, Milano eventually forced his way into playing as a rookie though. 

On 8/1/2023 at 11:23 AM, GunnerBill said:

It is only MLB that I think the team is definitely weaker on paper. The issue is I think that drop off is significant..... don't love any of our options there now that they have concluded it is too much for Williams as a rookie. I also think there remain questions about the secondary just because three older guys coming off injuries to differing extents is a legit concern. I hope they can play good football and stay healthy but it isn't a sure thing. 

Agree, but, optimistic

On 8/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, Nextmanup said:

Who says we are worse at MLB?  

Edmunds is extremely overrated and that's why we let him walk.

Anyone WITH SPEED can fit into his slot in that system and achieve similar results.

For starters, I think Edmunds was good, but, over rated.  We will miss him, but, hopefully not much.  I liked letting him go after we didn't sign him to a team friendly deal the previous off season.  However, this comment makes me think of...

image.png.14fc7e06ac613014204504f34733bb98.png

On 8/1/2023 at 2:26 PM, ngbills said:

I agree with some of the depth comments. You can argue our depth has improved. But the talent needed to win in the playoffs?

Last year who were the top 5 Bills players: Allen, Diggs, Edmunds, Miller, Milano? Honorable mentions for guys like White, Poyer, Hyde, Singletary, Oliver, Dawkins.

Who is it this year? Allen, Diggs, Miller, Milano, Hyde? Honorable mentions for guys like White, Poyer, Oliver, Dawkins, Cook. What free agent or draft pick would crack the list? 

Meh comment.  Last years players had a bunch of injuries.  This is apples to oranges.  Also, Singletary was not a top player, he was a competing for a starting role and did well in that role and won the starting RB.  Based on your top players, it seems to be a combination of the beginning of the year and mid to end of season.  Not all of these players were top Bills at one time.  I think this is a flawed argument.  Including you don't have to cap top players at 5.  Some years you may have 3, some 5, some 10. 

White was not a top player last year from OTA's on.

Your thought process is good, but, the comparison is flawed.

We have more good, impactful healthy players this year except Von Miller.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, Nextmanup said:

Who says we are worse at MLB?  

Edmunds is extremely overrated and that's why we let him walk.

Anyone WITH SPEED can fit into his slot in that system and achieve similar results.

I agree!  I think we may a bit better with 3 LB's who can tackle and have good instincts.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was very clear when I said "back half of prime" or well past.    You don't think Morse and Dawkins are even in back half of their primes?   Morse is probably in his last year altogether and Dawkins is a bad body tackle coming off a down year so I don't see him stringing together another 5 years of prime Dion.    

As for whether the team itself is old or not.....that wasn't my point.....but they ARE old.

When they break camp they will absolutely be one of the 5 oldest rosters in the NFL........in fact they will probably be the oldest roster in the NFL if the Saints aren't.   The Bills were 6th oldest at break of camp last year........and 4 of the 5 "older" teams have all undergone big shakeups and youth movements.

The narrative that they were ever a "young" team was always misleading.   They've been one of the oldest rosters EVERY YEAR going back to the Marrone/Rex years.

Now the numbers add up to probably an average age around 27 years.........and even their top 2 draft picks will hopefully be 24 before the Bills season ends so that's not skewing the numbers down either.

But they are actually old-old on defense.   Legit.   4 starters in secondary deep into second or third contracts.   Von,  Jones, Floyd........all in their 30's.   Can't be any team with that many 30 somethings in key defensive roles.   That is what concerns me about projecting.   Some vets get better at avoiding injury with age but in general there are diminishing returns in terms of availability with age.   Like, 3 years ago it was a virtual given that Hyde and Poyer would be there every game.   Now?  Eh.

This is a fair take, especially defensively.

But I guess it comes down to expectations.

For example in the secondary, we were down Micah for all but 2 game, Tre not himself/let alone didn't suit up until Thxgiving, Poyer dinged up since camp, Benford put on IR, Dane with a neck, and Elam a rookie with a lot of learning (ie: how to be an off-press zone corner).

All that said, it's possible the same thing happens again.. ..however, extremely unlikely.

The key really is come playoff time.  We've been down premier secondary players for the past 2 seasons, entering playoffs.  I'm more concerned we don't have an answer if Micah, Jordan, or Tre is out..come deep playoffs.  

On offense, especially pass catchers....we've discussed this.  And it's a matter of opinion right now.  I don't see much reason to compare how ppl viewed this group entering 2022 though...to me that's off topic, unless you're trying to prove a point that certain posters tend to be overly optimistic.   

Definitley easy in hindsight to say guys underperformed/injuries derailed the plan.  Same could happen again, but on paper this "new" group of pass catchers + more healthy Gabe + Shakir developing, etc is probably better bet to be "an improved unit" over LY.  How much better, or what's the odds?  Nobody knows yet, but we do know that we had zero reliable slot guys LY and Gabe battled an ankle all season.  So again, it could be the same this year, but odds are we find some slot option better than McKenzie (or Lil Dummy as you called him) and Gabe at least matches his production or within a reasonable range.  

I have complete faith Josh can carry this offense in the playoffs, if need be. Didn't happen LY, and not ideal, but call me less concerned. 

Defense is where I'm "leary", mainly for health reasons that have been stated and past letdowns/lack of adjustments.  My primary reason for optimism is the additions made on Dline, and my complete frustration/distrust in Frazier to coach a championship defense.  Outside of MLB, this is the most "top end" talent that we've possessed...just stay healthy and faith in Coach to make the right calls

56 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Definitley easy in hindsight to say guys underperformed/injuries derailed the plan.  Same could happen again, but on paper this "new" group of pass catchers + more healthy Gabe + Shakir developing, etc is probably better bet to be "an improved unit" over LY.  How much better, or what's the odds?  Nobody knows yet,

You do realize that there are ACTUAL sports gambling projections available for these players, right? 

So yeah......there are odds already set.

And they don't share your "good bet" opinion.

Fan Duel and Draft Sharks project Deonte Harty to produce only around 50 total yards receiving and Trent Sherfield around 150-170.

So around 200-220 yards combine. 

For comparison.........the combination of Jamison Crowder and Lil' Dummy are projected to produce about 350-360 combined for their new teams (Giants/Colts). :lol:

Gabe is expected to be the same guy as last year and Shakir is expected to have about the same numbers as McKenzie did last season.  

I don't really know how to explain it any clearer...........the perception that you and some other Bills fans have that the team has so obviously and largely improved themselves by swapping 2022 Crowder/Dummy for 2023 Sharty/Sherfield is far from the actual general consensus or that of the "betting" public.

13 hours ago, Manther said:

Meh comment.  Last years players had a bunch of injuries.  This is apples to oranges.  Also, Singletary was not a top player, he was a competing for a starting role and did well in that role and won the starting RB.  Based on your top players, it seems to be a combination of the beginning of the year and mid to end of season.  Not all of these players were top Bills at one time.  I think this is a flawed argument.  Including you don't have to cap top players at 5.  Some years you may have 3, some 5, some 10. 

White was not a top player last year from OTA's on.

Your thought process is good, but, the comparison is flawed.

We have more good, impactful healthy players this year except Von Miller.

Disagree. That’s like saying we have exact same roster as last year. So Allen gets hurt last season but is healthy this season we are saying the front office upgraded the roster? It’s about how are we entering this season vs last season. We lost a clear star player in edmunds and have added a handful of depth players. That is the reality. The argument could be we didn’t need to upgrade we just need guys to be healthy. But that is different than we upgraded. 

• Dislike 1

Do people understand Edmunds role in this defense? A lot of critics that he did not blow up the line, make tackles behind the line, etc. That was not his job. He was not used like some middle LB that don’t have two gap responsibility or have such a big role in the passing game. That is why he rarely blitzed or was rarely chasing guys behind the line of scrimmage. 

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You do realize that there are ACTUAL sports gambling projections available for these players, right? 

So yeah......there are odds already set.

And they don't share your "good bet" opinion.

Fan Duel and Draft Sharks project Deonte Harty to produce only around 50 total yards receiving and Trent Sherfield around 150-170.

So around 200-220 yards combine. 

For comparison.........the combination of Jamison Crowder and Lil' Dummy are projected to produce about 350-360 combined for their new teams (Giants/Colts). :lol:

Gabe is expected to be the same guy as last year and Shakir is expected to have about the same numbers as McKenzie did last season.  

I don't really know how to explain it any clearer...........the perception that you and some other Bills fans have that the team has so obviously and largely improved themselves by swapping 2022 Crowder/Dummy for 2023 Sharty/Sherfield is far from the actual general consensus or that of the "betting" public.

First off, if Hartys 50 receiving yards is accurate that's an easy bet.  I'm not able to find that, but my point isn't necessarily about just stats (more on that below).  I could careless what McKenzie/Crowder are projected for on their new teams....they'll be getting different playing time/targets/etc.  It's about finding someone who can be more consistent/win 1-1 matchups/that isn't a total spaz, like Mck.

Second, Kincaid needs to be considered for obvious reasons (in my "new group" comment). 

Finally, the larger point isn't just about stats.  Yes, the stats will tell us alot about our Total offensive production/who contributed come year-end.  However, the main point is "consistency", and can these guys win their 1-1 matchups when Diggs is doubled. 

Again, there's alot of reasons to say "odds" are they will be better this year (consistency)...especially at slot, like I am pointing out.  McKenzie blew A LOT of opportunities and probably the most inconsistent player who received regular playing time.   Shakir, Kincaid, Harty, Sherfield...all guys I trust to be better/more reliable than McKenzie.

Did Gabe play consistent all year, of course not.  But if his ankle really did hold him back, then it's fair to say that as long as he doesn't injure it Week 2 again, then we might get better regular season production.

It's clear to me that we have improved at slot, the bar was super low vs LY tho.  Question is will it be enough.

I'm sure we can revisit this topic throughout the season 😁

on d we are worse at MLB, but (right now, based on where we were last season) way better at pass rush, similar to better at corner, and way better at safety.

on O we are better by a bit at RT (healthy brown vs banged up, don't have too much expectation here tho), way better at both OG positions.  WR we are a little bit better (the ghosts of brown and bease getting signed on our super bowl run tell us everything), TE we are much better, and RB we are better (cook growing, our vets now are better than devin) but not by much given hines went down.

what matters, aside from allen and diggs and the usual, more than anything tho, is our D line has to get pressure on passers and our OL has to block.  if that happens, we can win the chip.  if it doesn't we are going to have to be near perfect in other areas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.