Training Camp 7/31 9:45 AM - Full pads this week

Lost

1 minute ago, nucci said:

I didn't

My point is just that the foolishness goes beyond Taron Johnson doing what football players are trained to do - they're trained not to hit the QB in practice, but when the QB takes on a downfield role, instinct can take over.

It's (IMO, you can disagree) foolishness to put that play in there at this time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

My point is just that the foolishness goes beyond Taron Johnson doing what football players are trained to do - they're trained not to hit the QB in practice, but when the QB takes on a downfield role, instinct can take over.

It's (IMO, you can disagree) foolishness to put that play in there at this time.

I agree but he should have seen the red jersey.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

I agree but he should have seen the red jersey.

I can't disagree, obviously, but I do think context is a lot of how players react.  You expect to see the QB and his red jersey in the backfield.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is unfortunately becoming a theme. Davis can't hold onto the ball if he's contested at all.

Another way to look at it is this. From almost all accounts I have seen Tre has been absolutely spectacular so far in camp. I keep seeing he's winning his 1on1s, looking like Tre of old. This is the good news side of it.

IIRC, the Bills were looking into the stability of Tre's health a couple months back. If it checked out and he's playing lights out...I'm curious to see if he leaves camp with some sort of extension. Could help the Bills drop his cap number and if he's full go and looking good...it's a win/win.

7 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I was so livid about that until I remembered we were still going to pay Edmunds after this. 

dane_jackson.jpg

It seemed like half of his tackle stats were padded by being the 3rd man in the pile.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I get that we live in a super saturated information age, but sometimes I really miss the slower roll of the news from training camp when you’d get the TV reports in the evening and the beat reporters’ and columnists’ stories the next day and in much greater depth.

Now it’s an endless flood of stream of consciousness twitter blips and endless pearl clutching by the multitudes, some of whom actually believe you can discern much of anything meaningful in open practices at this stage of the preseason. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

TJ! Bro! He has a Red Shirt on!.

It was TV, not TJ.  Somehow, Troy Vincent, NFL Director of Player Safety (you can't make this ***** up), snuck back onto the field to send that young punk JP Allen a message.  At least this time he didn't break JP's leg....

Edited by Freddie's Dead

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This was the first time he's hit any QB in 5 years.  Would figure it would be his teammate. 😄

Ha. Ha. Ha.

The man has 8 QB hits and 6 sacks.  Oh and 18 TFL.  I know you're being funny, but "C'mon Man".    He's one of the best nickel corners in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Notes from Matt Parrino and Ryan Talbot:

One under-the-radar offensive lineman that popped today (in pads) during 1-on-1s was Richard Gouraige. He's a massive dude. Was locked up vs. Kingsley Jonathan, who has great speed off edge. Gouraige just toyed w/ him. Great pad level vs. the smaller rusher and perfect technique. 

Ryan Bates started at right guard for the first team and then slid to center before long and O'Cyrus Torrence took over at right guard with the 1s. Not sure if Mitch Morse had any problems or if they just wanted to go with that look. He watched from behind play.

Stefon Diggs was electric throughout practice. From the exchange w/ Elam early to the expletive-laden rant after his red zone TD. Arguably his best play of the day came on a moonball from Allen, which was a bit of a wobbler. Diggs beat Dane Jackson badly & Allen gave him enough room to make a play on it. In a live game situation, Diggs might have made a few guys miss around the 10 and scored.

Allen had a couple of great throws but one to Gabe Davis on the right sideline was simply perfect. Tre'Davious White had excellent coverage, but the ball was just out of his reach and right in Davis's chest. Might have gone for a TD in a game.

Terrel Bernard and Tyrel Dodson seemed to get reps running the defense on the first team at MLB. Dodson had a great read during team drills on a short pass to Jordan Mims in the backfield. He waited patiently for the play to develop and then thudded up the running back for what would have been a loss on the play.

Dalton Kincaid was so good again. He's consistent and seems to always make himself available for the quarterback. He worked on both the 1st and 2nd team during practice and made a few nice catches. One was a laser from Allen that Dodson couldn't do anything about. Perfect route, timing, and execution from the offense.

Last one from me on observations: Tre White looks like he's back, folks. He was competing on every snap he had - from 1v1s to team drills. He locked up Diggs on one early rep in 1v1s and maybe that's what got Diggs going. He had a nice pass breakup working against Gabe Davis. Allen was dialed in and putting the ball on the money all afternoon. Davis was using his body to box out White, but the savvy vet popped one out and caused an incompletion.

Jace Sternberger is starting to get comfortable. He made a few catches in team drills and on one of them he took a shot from Zayne Anderson, but managed to hang onto the ball.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, yall said:

It seemed like half of his tackle stats were padded by being the 3rd man in the pile.

I dunno about that.  But one pattern that struck me, that I'm not sure how it will play out, is that Milano has clearly been making an effort not to get injured by being "superman" if he's a bit out of position to really close the deal.  So his tackle would slow the guy down and then Edmunds would close the deal.

I'm wondering how that will play this season.

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Was at camp this morning, got to bring my 2 year old son and 2 month old daughter to their first camp

My son was happy to meet Kincaid, Dawkins and Spencer Brown. Less than enthusiastic about Billy Buffalo 

I would be less than enthusiastic to meet Billy Buffalo.

Edited by Beck Water

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So...anyone there? Was it "accidental contact" or Taron Johnson laying the lumber?

I wasn't there, but isn't Allen always in a red "no contact " jersey?  A trick play like that does place the defensive player in a difficult spot.  He's supposed to make a play while at the same time protect his QB.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno about that.  But one pattern that struck me, that I'm not sure how it will play out, is that Milano has clearly been making an effort not to get injured by being "superman" if he's a bit out of position to really close the deal.  So his tackle would slow the guy down and then Edmunds would close the deal.

I'm wondering how that will play this season.

I would be less than enthusiastic to meet Billy Buffalo.

I always blamed Billy Buffalo for the Bills drought as he debuted in 2000.  Then his redesign was 2018 the only season Bills missed playoffs since drought ended.  

just sayin…

Edited by freddyjj

5 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I wasn't there, but isn't Allen always in a red "no contact " jersey?  A trick play like that does place the defensive player in a difficult spot.  He's supposed to make a play while at the same time protect his QB.

Yes  to all 3

50 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, OK.  But then when Josh runs or catches for-real and lets go for a drop or fumble, will you be in the crowd complaining about his fumbling tendencies?

If he's gonna play it, he's gotta practice it

No.  There are other ways to practice ball security without getting your franchise QB injured 

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I know it is early yet, but LB is a pretty big concern for me.  I don’t know that there is any good option as a starting LB at the NFL level among Dodson, Bernard , Klein and Spector.

I am also somewhat disappointed that Elam hasn’t yet claimed the top CB spot opposite White.  The competition that he must beat out in Jackson and Benford were both late round draftees for a reason and it doesn’t look good that Elam isn’t clearly a better player than either of them.  Now, I’m not saying that Elam should get the job if he doesn’t win it, but it would be another early round draft miss if he doesn’t.

Way too early for this I would say...they are not going to hand Elam the job, so not a surprise he didn't enter camp as the default guy opposite Tre.  Lot of football left before they decide who starts and doesn't.  This time of year all kinds of guys can look great or look behind, but it all changes when the real football begins to shape everyone out.  

I still think Elam has a good shot to win the job, but he is going to need to earn it because Dane and Benford are no slouch.  And once you are drafted, your draft slot means nothing, its all about what you do on the field.  Doesn't matter if the best players comes from an UDFA or a first round pick, just matters who is playing the best and most ready to help us win games.

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Bernard, at least stature-wise, reminds me of TJ Edwards.  Size isn't everything, *insert joke here*, but Bernard's instincts, quickness to read/react and ability to use his hands to shed blocks...was a big plus from Baylor scouts.

He fits the athletic measurables, undersized guys like him usually take a year or so of NFL training, to see any potential.  I don't think LY was a good indicator at all, and still think Dodson has the leg up.  Worse case, we find a sub package role or he's a S/T replacement for Big Red

34 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I don't think much on sherfield today other than hearing that he was shut down by Dane (in early 1x1s? Can't recall). Would be a big boost if he can add something reliable to this team...

I think Sherfield could put together a Gabe Davis rookie type season if there are enough snaps for him.

I think Harty will be adding something reliable and spectacular to this team….. as long as he remains active. If he gets hurt, I think that’s when Sherfield could take on a year 1 Gabe role.  

my hope is that we play mostly Diggs-Davis-Kincaid- Knox with Harty/shakir mixed in and complimented by some jumbo sets with Gilliam and even some Morris.  I love me some Quintin Morris

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.