Matt Araiza is Suing Woman who Falsely Accused him

wppete

I wonder if the Bills FO meaning Beane, McD, & Pegs talked to him to get his story first or if they just cut bait ASAP ?

If he does win his suit against her in court would that look bad on the Bills for not looking into it before getting rid of him & not sticking up for one of their players  ?

I mean they drafted him & apparently had long conversations with him & they thought he was a upstanding young man the type that the Bills thought would be a good fit 🤔

I mean it could have been a real S**T show but even when Marshawn, & Marcel pulled their deals they waited to gather info before closing those doors .

Last thought again if he is completely cleared of all charges & wins the law suit against her could he file a wrongful termination suit against the Bills ? I don't know much about the law but Stranger things have happened . 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, T master said:

I wonder if the Bills FO meaning Beane, McD, & Pegs talked to him to get his story first or if they just cut bait ASAP ?

If he does win his suit against her in court would that look bad on the Bills for not looking into it before getting rid of him & not sticking up for one of their players  ?

I mean they drafted him & apparently had long conversations with him & they thought he was a upstanding young man the type that the Bills thought would be a good fit 🤔

I mean it could have been a real S**T show but even when Marshawn, & Marcel pulled their deals they waited to gather info before closing those doors .

Last thought again if he is completely cleared of all charges & wins the law suit against her could he file a wrongful termination suit against the Bills ? I don't know much about the law but Stranger things have happened . 

You are missing the point.

Araiza is a PUNTER. Though it isn’t fair, it’s the truth. The Bills had Super Bowl hopes last season. They didn’t need that distraction in the locker room coming from a rookie punter.

I suspect if it was a star player the Bills would have handled it differently. As would any team put in the position the Bills were.

It really sucks for Araiza but it is what it is.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The is an old saying about the futility of trying to get blood out of a turnip.  I can't imagine Araiza making much money out of this.  By getting a positive judgment, it might be one more step toward repairing his reputation.  Hopefully, he can get another crack at punting in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 5

40 minutes ago, T master said:

No win situation for the Bills.

They took crap from people for drafting him and not doing the homework and now they'll get crap from people for cutting him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, QCity said:

The woman’s attorney, Dan Gilleon, said he had not see the lawsuit yet “and we don’t litigate in the media.” 

This guy's a real piece of work 😂

My buddy dug into him a little bit. Just Google level searching. But he’s a real slime ball. Ambulance chaser kind of attorney. That was the first red flag for me when the lawsuit was initially filed. If the woman’s claims were credible, you don’t end up with “slipping Jimmy” as your attorney. If she had a solid case one of the big firms would have been salivating to get their hands on it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hope he ruins her so that any woman who thinks about doing something like this thinks twice 

I mean she's a teenager who made a really really really bad choice that significantly impacted the life of someone else... there should absolutely be consequences, but my hope is she also gets the help she needs and one day is able to move past this.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, QCity said:

The woman’s attorney, Dan Gilleon, said he had not see the lawsuit yet “and we don’t litigate in the media.” 

What did you expect him to say? Oops, my Bad? 

This situation looks terrible for everyone. Matt may be a the victim. She may have had some buyer’s remorse. The Process may have jumped too soon, trying to say on the right side of the optics; given other teams/players actions. Read the article.

https://sports.yahoo.com/prosecutors-former-bills-punter-matt-araiza-wasnt-present-during-alleged-gang-rape-225211550.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, T master said:

Just on your last thought, NFL contracts are "at will" employment so he'd have a pretty hard time sueing the bills and winning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, T master said:

Don't think  there's a wrongful termination suit available as no one is entitled to a spot on an NFL team.   Even the 1st overall pick every year is not a lock if anything like this were directed at them.

26 minutes ago, QCity said:

Oh my! How the worm has turned for this guy! 

To be fair, I don’t think Araiza’s life is ruined and his career is not over. BUT, I agree that he deserves some justice (though I’m confident financial gains are extremely unlikely) and if it helps to make a single person (accuser or attorney) think twice before this type of thing happens again, it’s worth it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

The Bills did the right thing.  They kept him on for another week but the public outcry was too much and the season was right around the corner.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

My buddy dug into him a little bit. Just Google level searching. But he’s a real slime ball. Ambulance chaser kind of attorney. That was the first red flag for me when the lawsuit was initially filed. If the woman’s claims were credible, you don’t end up with “slipping Jimmy” as your attorney. If she had a solid case one of the big firms would have been salivating to get their hands on it. 

Yea a big firm would do it p ro Bono for a solid case there are firms that specialize in these types of assaults both for defending and prosecuting such crimes.  And we all know big law firms have deep pockets as well as the politics of the laws on these crimes.  Didn't the woman and her lawyer still have the lawsuit against araiza even after the f as cts showed he was not at the re D idence when everything occurred?  I'm guessing that court tv is gonna pay big $$ to get to televise any litigation as tiny in the case a la Depp/Heard of last year. 

17 minutes ago, iinii said:

What did you expect him to say? Oops, my Bad? 

This situation looks terrible for everyone. Matt may be a the victim. She may have had some buyer’s remorse. The Process may have jumped too soon, trying to say on the right side of the optics; given other teams/players actions. Read the article.

https://sports.yahoo.com/prosecutors-former-bills-punter-matt-araiza-wasnt-present-during-alleged-gang-rape-225211550.html

I think they are more pointing out how absolutely hypocritical this slime ball attorney is. When it was the lawsuit where he was the plaintiff, he tried to litigate the case in the media any chance he could. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Oh my! How the worm has turned for this guy! 

To be fair, I don’t think Araiza’s life is ruined and his career is not over. BUT, I agree that he deserves some justice (though I’m confident financial gains are extremely unlikely) and if it helps to make a single person (accuser or attorney) think twice before this type of thing happens again, it’s worth it. 

There is no way the law profession is going to let this set back their penchant for arguing such cases.  What would actually be worth it is if social media would stop with this cancel culture with no facts on any situation.  There are abusers on both sides.  Personally if I had ever been assaulted in the way the accuser alleged no way would I seek to sue for monetary d a makes like they did against araiza because of his nfl notoriety.  I mean that's just making her a prostitute which likely isn't too far off given the reports from people on how she was looking to hookup with anyone she could there.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I think they are more pointing out how absolutely hypocritical this slime ball attorney is. When it was the lawsuit where he was the plaintiff, he tried to litigate the case in the media any chance he could. 

Yeah.  He had a dog of a case and instead of waiting for criminal charges (that even he knew were never coming) filed a civil suit to force a payout/settlement. 

I’ll reiterate what I said last year.  Take her to court more for just some kind of vindication of his horrible press, and have his agent look for a team, who has a sound running game and hood defense.  A poor most likely passing offense, and his cannon for a leg might keep them in games.  Teams like TN or the Cheats.  

He’ll be mostly wasted in a high powered offense like the Bills (not that I ever want anything good to happen to the Cheats).

1 hour ago, wppete said:

What about prison time for her? Why is she not arrested? I don’t get it

A good question. It would be hard, I suspect, to prove she knowingly lied and wanted to mislead authorities. It's hard to know what exactly happened in the bedroom, no matter what she said or did after. People react differently and even strangely all the time to that stuff. It's he said vs. she said. And the prosecutor's office not pressing charges in the case doesn't necessarily mean there was no assault, but it didn't feel confident in proving it. Not saying there was an assault, but we don't know, despite her behavior.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Like that woman from Alabama that staged her fake abduction 2 weeks ago.

I think the difference is that the woman in the Araiza case actually had a basis for her criminal complaint in that she felt that she had been raped by several men at a party.   I don't know if the criminal case against the other men went forward but the criminal investigation revealed that Araiza had left the party.   The woman in Alabama fabricated the entire incident ... there never was a toddler on the side of the interstate and she was never kidnapped.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, SoTier said:

I think the difference is that the woman in the Araiza case actually had a basis for her criminal complaint in that she felt that she had been raped by several men at a party.   I don't know if the criminal case against the other men went forward but the criminal investigation revealed that Araiza had left the party.   The woman in Alabama fabricated the entire incident ... there never was a toddler on the side of the interstate and she was never kidnapped.

She admitted it was a hoax.  Should have claimed she was drunk or someone drugged her.

31 minutes ago, chongli said:

She will probably declare bankruptcy, which eliminates that debt.

The objective of his counter suit is to cause a burden.  Declaring bankruptcy will meet the “metric” of incurring a burden.

Additionally, she could also have her name on a property, be in a will, may want to get married some day - which would impact the marriage partner, maybe there are accomplices supporting her. 

Just my speculation here, Matt doesn’t need or want her money  (he’s more than competent to make enough money on his own).  This is about retribution. 

One more thing, let’s finally get “her” name in public.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

You are missing the point.

Araiza is a PUNTER. Though it isn’t fair, it’s the truth. The Bills had Super Bowl hopes last season. They didn’t need that distraction in the locker room coming from a rookie punter.

I suspect if it was a star player the Bills would have handled it differently. As would any team put in the position the Bills were.

It really sucks for Araiza but it is what it is.

Couldn't agree more, he was a Rookie punter they had little to nothing invested in.

They couldn't go into the season carrying a punter they didn't even know if he was going to be able to play, my guess is he would have been suspended if he had a job.

The Bills have admitted they were aware of the situation before drafting him, which probably included a conversation about what would happen if the story blew up and became an issue. 

1 hour ago, T master said:

not this again.

make it stop.

13 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Couldn't agree more, he was a Rookie punter they had little to nothing invested in.

They couldn't go into the season carrying a punter they didn't even know if he was going to be able to play, my guess is he would have been suspended if he had a job.

The Bills have admitted they were aware of the situation before drafting him, which probably included a conversation about what would happen if the story blew up and became an issue. 

huh?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.