Jonathan Taylor: Communications with Colts FO Non-Existent

BillsShredder83

5 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I wonder if if a positional strike has any possibility.   

the whole problem is that outside of like 5 guys, most are relatively replaceable 

it’s a common skill set and body type and backs 10 through 64 don’t change quality tooooo drastically as long as they fit your scheme. 

• Agree 1

people seem to forget that for a RB to be successful,  you need much more than just the RB.   how often do you see top RBs switch teams and continue to be successful?   hell,  they rarely stay successful on their original team for an extended period of time anymore.   there is a reason why RBs are valued so low now.  you need 5 other guys to also help make that RB be good.

Zeke was on fire his first few years for the Cowboys.  helped that the they had one of the best OLines in the league at that point.   injuries,  guys moving on,  suddenly Zeke cant RB anymore.  the biggest problem with the NFL running game now is the majority of college teams dont use a power running game anymore,  mostly spread offenses,  which leads to a glut of OLinemen that cant block for that kind of run game.    college has become a wide open passing fest cuz its easier to teach pass blocking quickly to young kids.

Wiscy employs the  power running game because its tradition, also a tradition of zero competent QB play.   Taylor appears to be good,  just how many NFL lines are built for what he can do though?   im sure this is about money,  it usually is,  and im sure theres a team out there that is just desperate enough to make a move for him,  will they have a line that can accommodate Taylor and continue to make him look good?  highly unlikely.

either way,  must suck to be a Colts fan atm.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I doubt he wants to get traded anywhere to play without a long term contract. 

So.. if people here want to trade for him, what are you willing to give up and what are you willing to pay him.. and for how long?

The Cover1 guy had an interesting take on this. Our "offer" is: come showcase in a top offense, no new deal, but something in writing we wont slap a franchise tag on him.

Do i want this? Yes. Will it happen? Also no, but my gummy is kickin' in... check back in an hour

4 hours ago, Mr Wild said:

Probably not the best way to handle this Jim

Dude how mad are you if you're Ballard tonight!

lol everything is fine waking up, then by afternoon Jim 'OxyContin30' Irsay kicks down your door with a ---hold muh beeer

• Haha (+1) 1

If the $16 million per year is true, then I take Irsay's side (including his ill-fitting suit — how can you have hundreds of millions of dollars and not get a suit that fits?).

Taylor is high as a MF IF that's true. Maybe some desperate team might pay that but it won't be a contender. 

And for anyone who says "trade Cook for Taylor!" I say Cook is not Taylor but I'll take his production and $1.3, $1.6, and $1.9 million rookie cap hits over the next three years (including 2023) over Taylor's production and salary.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

If the $16 million per year is true, then I take Irsay's side (including his ill-fitting suit — how can you have hundreds of millions of dollars and not get a suit that fits?).

Taylor is high as a MF IF that's true. Maybe some desperate team might pay that but it won't be a contender. 

And for anyone who says "trade Cook for Taylor!" I say Cook is not Taylor but I'll take his production and $1.3, $1.6, and $1.9 million rookie cap hits over the next three years (including 2023) over Taylor's production and salary.

Absolutely. You don’t pay a running back in todays NFL, you just don’t. Go draft one and get 80%+ of the production at 1/12th the cost. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Absolutely. You don’t pay a running back in todays NFL, you just don’t. Go draft one and get 80%+ of the production at 1/12th the cost. 

End of the day I would not agree to pay him anything more then 10 million a season and he is the best in the business running the ball. 

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

This coming out right after the reports he requested a trade is very suspicious. makes it seem like a leak from the team/owner (assuming this tweet is even true) and I question it’s accuracy considering that it’s being reported (and more/less confirmed by Irsay) that the colts haven’t even discussed a new contract with him.

Irsay just said a couple days ago (on July 27th) that “We haven’t exchanged any contract numbers with each other or anything like that. So, it's not like we're in the midst of that.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38085290/running-back-comment-not-aimed-jonathan-taylor

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Things may start to get UGLY in Indy...

Whew… that’s dirty. 

It also points to the Colts calling Taylor’s bluff … they clearly believe he’s lying. 

Colts fans seem to be siding with Irsay on this, in a quick glance at their board. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Whew… that’s dirty. 

It also points to the Colts calling Taylor’s bluff … they clearly believe he’s lying. 

Colts fans seem to be siding with Irsay on this, in a quick glance at their board. 

I don't know if he's lying but I do know 2 things for sure about this.

1. Taylor was reported to being on the "RB Video Call" where they discussed exaggerating injuries to their benefit (still don't see how that would help their case)

2. Back injuries are amoung the trickiest to prove or disprove.

• Like (+1) 1

I've never been happier NOT to have a star running back.

Now in addition to them being the worst value on the roster, they are becoming a massive off-field distraction.

I'm perfectly happy rolling into the season with James Cook, Damien Harris and Latavius Murray, and letting other teams deal with the mess.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

it literally said it was from a team source 

I worded my statement poorly but my point was that it smells like a BS front office leak to try and make Taylor look bad after he requested a trade, especially considering that just a couple days before that Jim Irsay said that the team and Taylor hadn’t even exchanged contract offers yet.

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

On one hand, RBs are worthless and should be paid pennies in relation to their production.  

On the other, Jonathan Taylor is so good we will not entertain his trade request because our team is sunk without him.  

Make up your minds.

They are starting a raw rookie QB. They are sunk either way at least next year. 

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I've never been happier NOT to have a star running back.

Now in addition to them being the worst value on the roster, they are becoming a massive off-field distraction.

I'm perfectly happy rolling into the season with James Cook, Damien Harris and Latavius Murray, and letting other teams deal with the mess.

I think we’re about to have a star RB.  Maybe not a top 5 rb- but top 10

On 7/29/2023 at 2:04 PM, SCBills said:

On 7/29/2023 at 2:17 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Detroit would be a good spot as well

The trade away of DeAndre Swift makes me think they don’t want a star running back.

On 7/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Well.. What is Saquon Barkley then? 

I think Etienne’s comments landed closer to Derrick Henry. Barkley has a good all-around game.

On 7/29/2023 at 5:59 PM, DJB said:

Irsay is nuts lol

Yup. Spoiled rich kid who inherited the team and has too much money and time in his quartile.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.