Jonathan Taylor: Communications with Colts FO Non-Existent

BillsShredder83

On 7/29/2023 at 5:04 PM, SCBills said:

Travis will be heading into his age 28 season when he is hitting unrestricted free agency...........not sure a RB who hung around and ran his miles up on the NCAA level should be offering advice on how to get a good second contract.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Pat McAfee usually sides with players … interesting that he doesn’t seem sold on Taylor. 

I’ll be honest, his decision to hire that agent would be an extreme red flag for me in building a team and I agree with Lombardi saying he should just come in for treatment and go home. 

Edited by SCBills

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Pat McAfee usually sides with players … interesting that he doesn’t seem sold on Taylor. 

I’ll be honest, his decision to hire that agent would be an extreme red flag for me in building a team and I agree with Lombardi saying he should just come in for treatment and go home. 

Colts are probably the only FO McAfee isn't going to speak poorly of would be my guess

• Agree 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:03 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Travis will be heading into his age 28 season when he is hitting unrestricted free agency...........not sure a RB who hung around and ran his miles up on the NCAA level should be offering advice on how to get a good second contract.

Actually he will have just turned 27 heading into his free agency, and that's assuming Jags use a 5th year option and then don't give him a contract. Don't forget who the Jags QB is, Trevor will certainly have a say in the matter (see Knox's terrible contract that JA pressured the Bills to sign). Etienne will get a significant second contract barring another freak injury. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Actually he will have just turned 27 heading into his free agency, and that's assuming Jags use a 5th year option and then don't give him a contract. Don't forget who the Jags QB is, Trevor will certainly have a say in the matter (see Knox's terrible contract that JA pressured the Bills to sign). Etienne will get a significant second contract barring another freak injury. 

Have any evidence, however superficial or anecdotal of this claim?

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Have any evidence, however superficial or anecdotal of this claim?

I obviously said it in jest, I have been very vocal with my disdain for that contract even prior to last season.  We signed him at the absolute worst time after his TD numbers were inflated. It looks even worse now with our TE usage last year and now drafting Kincaid.  I think its pretty well understood by everyone that Josh had some influence there, that's not something that's going to be evidenced in writing but you would have to be pretty naive to think that his well documented friendship with Knox had nothing to do with the Beane locking him up.   Is that really what you think?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I obviously said it in jest, I have been very vocal with my disdain for that contract even prior to last season.  We signed him at the absolute worst time after his TD numbers were inflated. It looks even worse now with our TE usage last year and now drafting Kincaid.  I think its pretty well understood by everyone that Josh had some influence there, that's not something that's going to be evidenced in writing but you would have to be pretty naive to think that his well documented friendship with Knox had nothing to do with the Beane locking him up.   Is that really what you think?

I will only comment I believe the Knox contract is irrelevant to drafting of Kincaid, one is a conventional TE the other is a glorified WR /TE or slot receiver.   Not surprising I have read so far Kincaid was struggling to block Poyer and others.   I think we will see a of both on the field at the same time. 

As far as Allen, he is pretty much "friends" with all his teammates, especially on offense, the only one player that really stands out to me in this regard is Diggs.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I will only comment I believe the Knox contract is irrelevant to drafting of Kincaid, one is a conventional TE the other is a glorified WR /TE or slot receiver.   Not surprising I have read so far Kincaid was struggling to block Poyer and others.   I think we will see a of both on the field at the same time. 

As far as Allen, he is pretty much "friends" with all his teammates, especially on offense, the only one player that really stands out to me in this regard is Diggs.

I completely agree that Kincaid does not replace Knox at all.  But I do think it adds to the argument that Knox was clearly not the do it all elite TE that deserves top 5 money at the position.  We can only pay so many guys $10mil plus, they have to be a major impact player. I just think Knox is an above average player, nothing more.  That's all I'm saying. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I think Ken Dorsey really sucked at getting Knox involved last year, which was an obvious disconnect between the offensive coaches and the FO.

I do think Knox was worth paying at the time and I hope he will live up to that contract, specifically with the way he's used.

When you look at TE numbers, Knox is actually #6 now as a TE.  Around him you have:

Kelce and Kittle who are much older

Goedert/Andrews who are around the same age

Njoku who is much less consistent

Knox is here

Waller who is coming off being riddled with injuries and has fallen off

Jonnu Smith who is a disappointment

Cole Kmet who is fine

Evan Engram who is fine I guess

Looking at that list, I don't see a gross overpay at all.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.