Name a random Bills player and one thing you remember about them

Partied with Jim Haslet on Thanksgiving eve at Gables on Hertel. We were throwing ice and beer at a poor turkey inside a chicken wire cage (now ashamed at that). Haslet was trying to pick up my girlfriend but what could I do! Dude was built like a truck and was also crazy.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Holy crap.  I didn't know/remember this.  I didn't see the first Super Bowl because the army had other plans for me that day.  I never watched a replay because it would be too painful.  

My 13th birthday. Absolutely gut wrenching loss. The Bills were far superior talent-wise, it's a shame they took the Giants so lightly. 

I remember being so cocky before that game, there was no way in hell a backup qb beats the team that was up 41-3 at HALFTIME in the AFC title game. 

34 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Stevie Johnson dropped a wide open game winning TD in OT vs. Thr Steelers Then blamed God on Twitter. 

Also the Bills losing to the Steelers backups and 3rd string to miss the playoffs.

Creating "Bills Mafia" in the process! (to the chagrin of the uptight)

Gary Marangi coming off the bench against the Dolphins to replace an injured Joe Ferguson.  My dad and I were watching the game but had to leave the house to attend the Sabres game that day/night.  IIRC the announcer at the Aud provided updates, with the crowd cheering when the Bills scored and groaning when the final score was announced.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

22 hours ago, eball said:

Todd Schlopy made 2 out of 5 FG attempts to win a scab game against the NYG (with Lawrence Taylor crossing the picket line) 6-3 in 1987.

It was the worst football game I’ve ever witnessed in person.

It couldn’t be worse than that 6-3 Browns-Bills game where Derek Anderson went 2-17 for 17 yards

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

It couldn’t be worse than that 6-3 Browns-Bills game where Derek Anderson went 2-17 for 17 yards

I didn't attend that game, but trust me, the level of football in the Bills-Browns game was light years beyond the game I referenced.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

BOGO: Two random players in the same story: Min Max Anderson and the incomparable Preston Ridlehuber.  

When I was 10, the tv announcers reported that OJ's backup, Mini Max Anderson, was taken out of the game because he had broken some teeth and swallowed his tongue after being hit so hard that his facemask broke.

I asked my mom if it was even possible to swallow a tongue.  When she said 'yes,' for years I suffered a deep and irrational fear of swallowing my own.  

With both OJ and Mini Max out with injuries, third-stringer Preston Ridlehuber came in.  Ridlehuber's main claim to fame was scoring the winning touchdown for the Raiders the previous season on a fumble return with 33 seconds left.  But no one in TV Land witnessed the greatest play of Ridlehuber's otherwise dismal career because the broadcast had been preempted by the television presentation of "Heidi."  

In Buffalo, the Ridlehuber magic struck one last time.  Late in the game with both his quick and exciting backs hurt, Coach Rauch drew up a halfback option in the dirt on a third-and-short situation.  It was supposed to be a short pass to the TE but Ridlehuber heaved a pass downfield to Haven Moses for a 45-yard TD to win the game.  Ridlehuber never touched a football again.  

I vividly remember that game when it happened, it was a night game at War Memorial Stadium, he was down for a long time.  When they got him up you could see his mouth was covered in blood and I also as a young kid, also had this irrational fear about swallowing my tongue.  And I also recall the infamous Heidi game, I think it was the Jets with Namath in a shootout with Daryle Lamonica.  I was a massive fan of Daryle Lamonica and to a lesser extent Namath for his super bowl win for the old AFL.

• Like (+1) 1

John Wendling, the Bills special teams ace out of the University of Wyoming at one point was measured as being able to clear a 66" vertical jump with a 2 step start.

the guy had tremendous off the charts jumping ability. 

I remember seeing video of him jumping straight up too. Like crouch down jump  straight UP and it was again shockingly high.

am I alone in remembering this?

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tyler Thigpen was warming up on the sidelines because I believe it was Fitzpatrick that was hurt on the field.

The first clip that CBS got of Thigpen was him getting hit in the face with a football when he was getting ready to warm up.

I thought of that too, but I forgot who it was. For some reason, I thought it was Kyle Orton.

Peerless Price's name was inspired by the name of a local moving company. His mother explained that he was given the name because she liked it, and also because she hoped that her son, growing up in a rough neighborhood, would avoid a life of crime.

Cole Beasley would be my first pick if we were playing hoops at the gym. 

If you haven’t seen him at work, look it up. I think he had a hoops offer to like Michigan or MSU, despite being 5’8”. Dude can ball! 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Cole Beasley would be my first pick if we were playing hoops at the gym. 

If you haven’t seen him at work, look it up. I think he had a hoops offer to like Michigan or MSU, despite being 5’8”. Dude can ball! 

I just saw him double clutch a reverse dunk.  I never was able to do that.

1 hour ago, Lost said:

iykyk

neckman.jpg

He could never button his collar on his shirt and wear a tie properly.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just saw him double clutch a reverse dunk.  I never was able to do that.

Do Nerf balls in your bedroom with rims on the closet door count?  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I vividly remember that game when it happened, it was a night game at War Memorial Stadium, he was down for a long time.  When they got him up you could see his mouth was covered in blood and I also as a young kid, also had this irrational fear about swallowing my tongue.  And I also recall the infamous Heidi game, I think it was the Jets with Namath in a shootout with Daryle Lamonica.  I was a massive fan of Daryle Lamonica and to a lesser extent Namath for his super bowl win for the old AFL.

Glad I'm not the only one old enough to remember those times!  

Though I don't clearly remember the Heidi Game.  I may or may not have been watching.  But my best friend at the time (and still a good friend) became a duel Raiders-Bills fan when Lamonica was traded.  So, he was fumed that he didn't get to see the exciting finish that included, as you know, two Raider TDs in the final minute.  He was still fuming the next day.  That I do remember.  I think if I ask him about it now all these years later, he'll still spit out a few angry words.  

I also remember that in my house we happily watched the Heidi movie that evening without any angst about the finish of the game.  My mom had been looking forward to Heidi and I didn't care about the Raiders or Jets.  

• Like (+1) 1

Leodis running 200 yards on a kick return, only to be tackled at the one yard line as time expired…an amazing play, and a metaphor for those Bills teams.

But the random player I wish to salute is the greatest stealth ball punch in the history of the NFL- it all went down on that play, and must be seen- it’s brilliant and perfectly executed lol

someone please find video of that Leodis return.  It was against the Saints I think 

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

Hard to read through 10 pages but I would say this:

Gabe Northern's and the 98/99 Bills defensive player celebrations where they flicked their wrists. I bumped into Gabe at a LSU alumni event once and asked him about that. It was something from a music video around that time, but the Bills had the only players doing it, which obviously left a burning question in me. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Leodis running 200 95 yards on a kick return, only to be tackled at the one yard line as time expired…an amazing play, and a metaphor for those Bills teams.

Right opponent, wrong player. It was Terrence McGee, not Leodis.

Edited by WhoTom

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.