Allen stats compared to Peyton Manning 👀

JerseyBills

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not exactly the guy I'd compare him to but interesting

I didn't realize Manning threw that many picks early on

I remember he was really a turnover machine. But even in his rookie year you could tell that he was special. It's why I never had any patience for Edwards or Taylor, you have to try to make plays. I'd rather see that than checkdown, checkdown, checkdown.

• Like (+1) 4

As others have mentioned pre 2008 the qb position stats were different.  Also it would be interesting to see fumbles added in as I dont recall it being as much of an issue for manning as it is w allen.

Hopefully at the end of his career though Allen's thought of in the same tier as Manning especially those super bowl wins!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

We get it.  Josh is good, BUT it was a vastly different game in the late 90s-2000s and yes, Peyton threw a ton of pics early in his career.  

Peyton was groomed , expected to start #1 pick.. Allen wasn't expecting to start.. Also Peyton threw more and was playing against a bunch of 34 and 43 looks ; not as athletic Lbs so it makes it even more impressive for Josh imo

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He threw 28 his rookie season. Manning is the pipe dream for every bad rookie season across the league. 

Manning and Allen are 20 years apart, I think it is important to compare them to their peers relatively rather than by raw numbers. By that metric they also similar in a lot of categories, which is awesome.

In year 5 Manning threw 19 interceptions, good for 3rd highest in the league. Ask Manning, Dungy, Allen, McD. I would be my mortgage they would all say that their turnovers are too high. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Peyton was groomed , expected to start #1 pick.. Allen wasn't expecting to start.. Also Peyton threw more and was playing against a bunch of 34 and 43 looks ; not as athletic Lbs so it makes it even more impressive for Josh imo

It was a different era.  Peyton's receivers were also allowed to get mugged on their routes and killed after the catch.

The linebackers of that time are better than the linebackers today.  

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Who is "they"?  Same ones who bashed him being drafted so soon?

Excuses for Manning: He had a weak team so he needed to take more chances.

It wasn't even close to what Josh had around him in 2018.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

It was a different era.  Peyton's receivers were also allowed to get mugged on their routes and killed after the catch.

Tough comparison.  The linebackers of that time where much bigger/slower and required a lot less to cover receivers.  There is no way a team would have drafted Dorian Williams in the 3r rd back then as we did this year, too small.  From that perspective, strictly as a passer, the linebackers were easier for a QB to pick apart (sans the incredibly generous rules now in place for receivers).  

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

I did not say it was a good excuse.

I realize it's not your excuse but it's not an excuse, it's a lie.  Manning had Harrison, Faulk, Torrance Small and Dilger on his offense and they added James a year later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Not sure this is a true statement. You even say it yourself that the receivers were allowed Ro get mugged. They were bigger but a lot slower. Those linebackers wouldn’t be able to keep up with offenses today just like current linebackers would have to be able to handle more of a beating back in those days 

2 hours ago, 0017 said:

It’s also a fact that Payton manning is 5’8” then with his forehead he’s 6’5” 

Are you sneaking in the Christina Ricci forehead in Buffalo 66 movie in this thread? 😃

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yea he threw a ton. Different era mind you and the Colts team he was drafted to was bad. But those early years a Peyton Manning back breaking INT at a critical moment never felt far away.

Josh has made mistakes but I saw a piece yesterday where they were saying Burrow threw 15 INTs last season, yet he is thought of for some reason as so much better than Josh by people in the media. I think Allen gets judged differently because of the pre draft talk around him and his issues. People who thought he'd be a bust will grudgingly admit he's good when they have no other choice (when he plays out of his mind) but every time he throws a pick they're right there with the same old Allen talk. 

I'm sort of glad he's not the media darling anymore because he's better with a chip on his shoulder. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him have an MVP year this season. But to shut these guys up he needs to win a Super Bowl and an MVP

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

We get it.  Josh is good, BUT it was a vastly different game in the late 90s-2000s and yes, Peyton threw a ton of pics early in his career.  

Yep.  It would be a heck of a lot more analogous to compare Josh over his first 80 games to someone like Patrick Mahomes.

Anyone have the stats on that comparison?  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yep.  It would be a heck of a lot more analogous to compare Josh over his first 80 games to someone like Patrick Mahomes.

Anyone have the stats on that comparison?  

That’s not something this board needs or wants to know. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Josh is an insanely talented QB and we’re beyond lucky to have him on the Bills. He also leads the league in turnovers since 2020 and needs to do a much better job of taking care of the football. Both these things can be true.

Dabbol had Josh’s turnovers trending way down then Daboll left….

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Josh is an insanely talented QB and we’re beyond lucky to have him on the Bills. He also leads the league in turnovers since 2020 and needs to do a much better job of taking care of the football. Both these things can be true.

You're right on both counts. 

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Peyton Mannings arm doesn’t even compare to the rocket 🚀 arm Josh’s Allen has. 

Josh has a great arm, but I do think Manning had a pretty good arm when he was young, so I can't agree with you there.

The stat I'm concerned with is how many Super Bowls they win. 

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

eh. It’s not like corners were ridiculously good in Peyton’s day compared to now.

• Eyeroll 1

I found this, but there must be more out there.

Patrick Mahomes GP: 80;     JOSH ALLEN:   80

CMP: 1,981    ;   1,694

ATT: 2,997    ;    2,697

PCT: 66.1;      62.8

YDS: 24,108;      19,385

AVG: 8.0;     7.2

YDS/G: 301.4    ;     242.3

TDS: 196          ;       143

TD%: 6.5      ;         5.3

INT: 48         ;         58

INT%: 1.6      ;        2.2

SCK: 133       ;       159

SCKY: 886     ;     1,047

RATE:  105.8    ;     93.1

From STATMUSE.COM

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Manning had better receivers, running backs and coaches when he won his first ring. 

Comparing Allen to Manning really isn’t relevant.

Comparing the teams/coaching staffs surrounding/supporting them is.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I found this, but there must be more out there.

I am sure you can find whatever statistics for whatever you are looking for.

In my honors math statistics class in college we were given assignment to set the conditions necessary to get results requested by professor using data provided.

It reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield "Back to School" exercise using widgets.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.