ESPN Layoffs

Process

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm not a fan of ESPN, but seeing anyone lose their job is never something to celebrate 

Over the years I've made it through a ton of layoffs at the companies I've worked for and there was only one occasion when I was vindictively happy about someone losing their job. That person was evil incarnate and had been the cause of many better people losing their jobs for their own gain. But I also saw other people that I thought were either ineffective or flat out @ssholes get laid off and even though I was glad they were gone  I still had compassion when they were shown the door.

The thing in TV sports is that experts can easily be replaced with cheaper labor ( the recently retired athletes like thry were).

same with print media. The reason you might keep 20 year veterans is because of something you can measure like resdship or page hite or something else that can drive subscription fees.

some columnists have good writing skills and has established insider relationships to get info….which can be hard to do.

those beat writers generally covering the team can get churned over because basic skill sets don’t advance much with age/ experience.

thr big problrm I have is with long time personalities like Suzy Kolber and Neil Everett…these peop,e have bern on ESPN for a long time.  Out of respect they should be able to go in a way better than a tweet.

• Like (+1) 1

There are several fundamental flaws in the business model for ESPN and most network sports departments:

1. Studio shows: With the exception of TNT's NBA show with Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley, Shaq and Ernie Johnson, they are all horrible and pretty much unwatchable. Networks have loaded up these shows with ex players and coaches with bloated salaries. This would be one of the first areas I would cut. The challenge ESPN has vs. the others that just air the games is they have 24 hours of airtime to fill every day. 

Halftime shows are a joke. If you have a 15 minute halftime (and NFL is 12) on TV there is about 6 minutes of commercials, another 1-2 minutes cut in back to the game before the 2nd half resumes. That leaves about 4-5 minutes on NFL games, maybe 7 for the NBA or college hoops. If you have 4-5 people on the broadcast, and go around 3 times so each person gets about 20-30 seconds to make a point. Hardly in-depth analysis.

I'd go with showing highlights, update scores around the league and be done with it. Pre-game shows I would reduce to no more than 30 minutes and simply preview the games. 

2. Game commentators: Virtually no one watches a game to hear what the commentators have to say, they are watching the game. Viewers want competency, not name recognition in their broadcasters. So I'd get rid of the high-priced, high-profile no value add commentators. The other aspect of broadcast crews is the sheer number on a game. Lots of 3 person booths, sideline reporters which contribute nothing meaningful, and of course the Gene Steratores or the world deciphering officials' calls. Bloated booths have to go. You could easily go from a crew of 5 to 3 at most. 

The coaches/managers interviews in football, basketball and baseball are awful. Coaches hate it, they never say anything of substance. 

3. Simulcasts: Every game is shown on TV and there is a radio broadcast too. You end up with 3 broadcast crews: one for TV and a radio crew for each team. The stars of the game are not the broadcasters, it's the players. If I was a TV network, I would use the local radio crews for the TV feed, with the visiting team's crew doing the first half and the home team crew doing the 2nd half and any overtime. This would save a ton of money not only with the on-air talent but there has to be savings on production costs. 

4. "Experts": Huge overkill. Do you need both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper? Are they really any better at predicting drafts than anyone doing some modest level of research online today? I would get rid of a lot of them and instead of having a lot of these guys under contract throughout the year you could do per-diem or contract employee (1099) deals. They would become part-time employees and in addition to reducing the annual wage outlays you could eliminate benefit costs since part-timers and 1099 employees don't get benefits (and 1099 employees the company doesn't pay payroll taxes). 

These are major changes in the business model but when the current model is broken, you have to make major changes. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That Netflix-type success won't happen again in streaming

It already has. I’m guessing you didn’t read my  post - you just responded. Disney already has more subscribers than Netflix. They have around 234M subscribers across their streaming platforms. Netflix has around 232.5M. Disney has been hurting Netflix quite a bit over the past two years and slowing their growth.

Disney+ took off like gangbusters and Hulu was already a moderate success. When they release the ESPN streaming, I won’t be surprised to see them go over 300M subs, which would put them well above Netflix.

If Disney+ keeps gaining ground, they will begin to erode Netflix’s market share. There are even rumors that Disney may buy out Netflix. That would create what is essentially a monopod, with Disney owning Disney+, Hulu and Netflix.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

--the whole industry is in crisis.  

Iger unretired to retake the CEO job at Disney.

I am a Disney stockholder and fanatic. Iger did not unretire because of streaming. He unretired because Chapek was an absolute disaster and botched several things, such as the parks response to Covid, actor and actress pay, and HB1557. 

Literally zero to do with streaming, which has been Disney’s most successful venture in decades (outside of Marvel, which they are now steaming).

Disney is playing this very wisely. They are creating custom content, which they can both give to their subscribers and license on the back end, not to mention put in their theme parks. That costs cash, but it’s a snowball - it gets better in time - just like Netflix did.

• Disagree 1

Whether is sports analysis or entertainment - producers are giving away better content on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, etc for free.  There's no need for a fan to be glued to ESPN for updates and analysis.  There are simply too many sources of information now for that model to work.  

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

There are several fundamental flaws in the business model for ESPN and most network sports departments:

1. Studio shows: With the exception of TNT's NBA show with Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley, Shaq and Ernie Johnson, they are all horrible and pretty much unwatchable. Networks have loaded up these shows with ex players and coaches with bloated salaries. This would be one of the first areas I would cut. The challenge ESPN has vs. the others that just air the games is they have 24 hours of airtime to fill every day. 

Halftime shows are a joke. If you have a 15 minute halftime (and NFL is 12) on TV there is about 6 minutes of commercials, another 1-2 minutes cut in back to the game before the 2nd half resumes. That leaves about 4-5 minutes on NFL games, maybe 7 for the NBA or college hoops. If you have 4-5 people on the broadcast, and go around 3 times so each person gets about 20-30 seconds to make a point. Hardly in-depth analysis.

I'd go with showing highlights, update scores around the league and be done with it. Pre-game shows I would reduce to no more than 30 minutes and simply preview the games. 

2. Game commentators: Virtually no one watches a game to hear what the commentators have to say, they are watching the game. Viewers want competency, not name recognition in their broadcasters. So I'd get rid of the high-priced, high-profile no value add commentators. The other aspect of broadcast crews is the sheer number on a game. Lots of 3 person booths, sideline reporters which contribute nothing meaningful, and of course the Gene Steratores or the world deciphering officials' calls. Bloated booths have to go. You could easily go from a crew of 5 to 3 at most. 

The coaches/managers interviews in football, basketball and baseball are awful. Coaches hate it, they never say anything of substance. 

3. Simulcasts: Every game is shown on TV and there is a radio broadcast too. You end up with 3 broadcast crews: one for TV and a radio crew for each team. The stars of the game are not the broadcasters, it's the players. If I was a TV network, I would use the local radio crews for the TV feed, with the visiting team's crew doing the first half and the home team crew doing the 2nd half and any overtime. This would save a ton of money not only with the on-air talent but there has to be savings on production costs. 

4. "Experts": Huge overkill. Do you need both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper? Are they really any better at predicting drafts than anyone doing some modest level of research online today? I would get rid of a lot of them and instead of having a lot of these guys under contract throughout the year you could do per-diem or contract employee (1099) deals. They would become part-time employees and in addition to reducing the annual wage outlays you could eliminate benefit costs since part-timers and 1099 employees don't get benefits (and 1099 employees the company doesn't pay payroll taxes). 

These are major changes in the business model but when the current model is broken, you have to make major changes. 

This plan would strip all character from the network. It would be an absolute disaster. Changes need to be made, but this is not it.

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Only one that surprises me there is Todd. He will get snapped up.

Doesn't surprise me at all.  He's been reduced to being the butt of jokes on ESPN.   Kiper is popular and likable and Todd always ends up looking dumb AND petulant about it.   Gotten to the point that even when he's on set with college football jagoffs that barely follow the NFL like David Pollock......when he is supposed to be the expert in the discussion.......they make him look like he's a joke.    I don't know if he can scout at all but he needed a change of scenery for sure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

Not sure why you thought that but Disney’s streaming has been a massive success. Across their streaming platforms they have over 230 Million subscribers. That’s more than Netflix.

What you may be referring to is their negative cash flow on the streaming side, but that is to be expected with all new streaming platforms. Netflix lost money for half a decade before reporting a profit.

Therefore, while Disney's streaming platforms might not be as profitable as they could be right now, it doesn't mean they aren't successful. They've captured a huge portion of the market and continue to grow. In terms of their financial performance, it's likely that they're following a long-term strategy where they'll eventually become profitable as they continue to add subscribers and increase their average revenue per user. This is a common strategy in tech-oriented businesses and not necessarily a sign of weakness or failure.

Now that they have a massive subscriber base, they can rent some IP to other providers and make money on both ends.

So merikin's aren't just turning their back on Disney?   We have some people on TSW who are so nestled into their little corners that they are clueless about what has broad appeal and what does not. Like the people that think nobody follows the NBA.......you know......because they don't. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

David Pollack was laid off.

This is getting serious...

Because he's terrible.  He was their college version of Steve Young.

56 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I haven't watched ESPN in years. I see I haven't missed much 😄

So you've skipped all the Bills games on ESPN?  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I stopped watching anything ESPN except the Manning cast, NFL Matchup, and MNF.  The rest is hot take crap and does no real analysis of football or any other sport.

That's actually quite a lot of ESPN programming you watch! 

I wouldn't even THINK of turning on ESPN, for anything, other than a live sporting event I want to watch, and know is on an ESPN channel.  At this time of year, F1 motor racing is a good example.  I'll be watching (recorded) the Austrian GP tomorrow on ESPN. 

That's it.  Now and again big soccer matches appear on ESPN, and they have MNF....I think that's about the extent of my ESPN viewing.

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It already has. I’m guessing you didn’t read my  post - you just responded. Disney already has more subscribers than Netflix. They have around 234M subscribers across their streaming platforms. Netflix has around 232.5M. Disney has been hurting Netflix quite a bit over the past two years and slowing their growth.

Disney+ took off like gangbusters and Hulu was already a moderate success. When they release the ESPN streaming, I won’t be surprised to see them go over 300M subs, which would put them well above Netflix.

If Disney+ keeps gaining ground, they will begin to erode Netflix’s market share. There are even rumors that Disney may buy out Netflix. That would create what is essentially a monopod, with Disney owning Disney+, Hulu and Netflix.

I am a Disney stockholder and fanatic. Iger did not unretire because of streaming. He unretired because Chapek was an absolute disaster and botched several things, such as the parks response to Covid, actor and actress pay, and HB1557. 

Literally zero to do with streaming, which has been Disney’s most successful venture in decades (outside of Marvel, which they are now steaming).

Disney is playing this very wisely. They are creating custom content, which they can both give to their subscribers and license on the back end, not to mention put in their theme parks. That costs cash, but it’s a snowball - it gets better in time - just like Netflix did.

I read yours.   And, no, Netflix type success isn't happening.  I gave you an article to read to help you see what's going on, which as I already pointed out: growth in subscribers isn't moving the needle in profits.  You should have noticed this with the 29% drop in your stock price over the past year.  

Netflix has 232.5, Amazon has 200 million.  Disney 157.8./Hulu 48.1.

Streaming services hemorrhage money under their current model of cheap subscription and massively expensive content production.  Subscription growth powered stock value until recently.  The whole sphere is now in turmoil as investors no longer are impressed with growth but with profits---and the streamers are bleeding tons. 

Iger came back because Disney's streaming business is sapping the profits out of the company and your stock value cratered. In Q1 it lost 659 million (another 1.1 billion in Q1 last year). If Chopak had made Disney+ into a big money maker, no one would care or remember how he handled Covid or HB1557---and they certainly would not have gone begging to Iger.  

This much is clear:  Waal Street is punishing your company for bleeding money on its streaming service.  Nobody cares about subscribers anymore because their subscription fees can't possibly cover the cost of providing content. 

Amazon (#2) and HBO Max (#6) have nearly 300 million subscribers.  Disneys problem is that those streams are owned by companies who don't rely on their profits to remain profitable.  They are fun side hustles for massive tech companies who aren't otherwise tethered to the entertainment business.  If Amazon stream or Max simply fold up shop--both companies would still dwarf Disney.   Apple is by far the top valuation company in the world.  Amazon is #5. Disney is #68.

Subscribers aren't meaningful in this business model--which is in crisis across the board.  "Creating custom content" (which they all do) is exactly what has put them in this position--there's way too much expensively produced content and not enough people watching any particular original show.  They are all scaling back and canceling projects because the simple math says subscriber dollars can't pay for them. 

If you must hold blue chips over time, dump your Disney and move up the list. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Doesn't surprise me at all.  He's been reduced to being the butt of jokes on ESPN.   Kiper is popular and likable and Todd always ends up looking dumb AND petulant about it.   Gotten to the point that even when he's on set with college football jagoffs that barely follow the NFL like David Pollock......when he is supposed to be the expert in the discussion.......they make him look like he's a joke.    I don't know if he can scout at all but he needed a change of scenery for sure.

You think Mel is likeable? Crikey. I respect Mel and I get why he is popular because he is the original draft talking head. But I don't find him likeable in the least really.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Protecting the lives of people and taking a stand against hate and discrimination isn't an absolute disaster... it was the right thing to do.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You think Mel is likeable? Crikey. I respect Mel and I get why he is popular because he is the original draft talking head. But I don't find him likeable in the least really.

Not really even debatable that Kiper is very likeable to his audience.   They don't watch him for.....or even care about........his success rate.   McShay though is a total heel and some of his takes have been notably deplorable.    That year he was championing Andre Woodson as a first overall pick all fall (2007 season).........and then he goes in round 6 and is quickly out of the league.   Yeesh.   Unforgettably bad.   He needed a change of scenery a decade ago.   Since then it's gotten increasingly painful to watch.   He's become the object of jokes for everyone who squeezes onto the screen.

16 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

They are on local TV. I haven't had cable for at least a decade.

ABC sports = ESPN

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not really even debatable that Kiper is very likeable to his audience.   They don't watch him for.....or even care about........his success rate.  

Different stokes for different folks. But likeable isn't an adjective that comes to my mind for Mel.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldnt say original.  A Joel Buschbaum takeoff .....

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I stopped watching anything ESPN except the Manning cast, NFL Matchup, and MNF.  The rest is hot take crap and does no real analysis of football or any other sport.

Verizon FIOS put NFLN and ESPN on different tiers; you would think they would be on same sports tier but Verizon wanted you pay twice giving you more shopping and "reality" channels. 

I used to have ESPN and rarely watched it except on draft day and occasionally watching a game. In college it was my goto station at night for ESPN Countdown with Chris Berman. When Bills were going to be repeatedly on NFLN and the games were going to be usually repeated I switched tiers which actually gave me a station I watch occasionally.  

47 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Protecting the lives of people and taking a stand against hate and discrimination isn't an absolute disaster... it was the right thing to do.

That's not what Chapek did.  In fact, he was criticized for not doing enough, given Disney's massive clout. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

That's actually quite a lot of ESPN programming you watch! 

I wouldn't even THINK of turning on ESPN, for anything, other than a live sporting event I want to watch, and know is on an ESPN channel.  At this time of year, F1 motor racing is a good example.  I'll be watching (recorded) the Austrian GP tomorrow on ESPN. 

That's it.  Now and again big soccer matches appear on ESPN, and they have MNF....I think that's about the extent of my ESPN viewing.

I don’t see it that way in that matchup is only on during the season and MNF/Manning Cast is really the same and only when there are teams In interested in seeing.   From February to August, it literally never is on my tv.

Their opinion shows are just not remotely interesting to me.

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Different stokes for different folks. But likeable isn't an adjective that comes to my mind for Mel.

Oh no doubt that his likability has GREATLY been driven by McShay being a humorless turd.   He tried for years to make fun of Mel and Kiper knew how to roll with it........but McShay still gets rankled at the slightest criticism.   He's that thin skinned guy who is impossible not to prod because you know he's going to have an over-sized reaction to it.   We have a few of those on here.   "Low hanging fruit" as the mods would call them.   Most of them I have to keep on ignore because they are constantly setting up irresistible punchline's. :lol:   I layoff them, so to speak.;)

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I read yours.    

I don’t think you did. Because I did not only mention subscribers. I also wrote that negative cash flow is to be expected with a new streaming service. Netflix hemorrhaged money for 6 years before turning a profit. 

You are completely wrong and digging your heels in while doing so. Hint for you - It was Iger who developed the streaming service before he retired. They brought him back because Chapek was a disaster.

The streaming losses were always part of the plan. Disney knew they would be in the red on the streaming side for several yearsZ It was expected. They expect to profit in 2024.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So merikin's aren't just turning their back on Disney?   We have some people on TSW who are so nestled into their little corners that they are clueless about what has broad appeal and what does not.

Haha, yeah. It is genuinely incredible how ignorant posters are on certain topics yet dig their heels in.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Anything Disney is as toxic as it gets.  Americans have had enough with these type of companies and will not continue to support them. Look for more layoffs and a tank in stock. 

Just say woke like your masters tell you to. 

disney and ESPN printed money for so long this was bound to happen. Besides live sports and PTI, there is nothing else to watch on sports networks. Basically, it’s going to be sports and people with big audiences like Stephen A (love of hate him, he draws numbers) and Pat McAfee (not sure I get his appeal but he is popular). 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He also sucks at player evaluation. 

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I haven't watched ESPN in years. I see I haven't missed much 😄

This is a lie. 

On 6/30/2023 at 2:12 PM, boyst said:

She doesn't generate clicks and revenue like Smith or other loud talking heads people like to get butthurt about

Gone our the days of journalism and conversation. In the ways of bias, rage, and energy to stir emotions.

ESPN dying is what needs to happen. 

They just couldn't keep up once social media got huge but they deserve their respect for being innovators back in the day. Already posted I can't watch them unless a game is on but I respect what they did for the sports world 

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just say woke like your masters tell you to. 

disney and ESPN printed money for so long this was bound to happen. Besides live sports and PTI, there is nothing else to watch on sports networks. Basically, it’s going to be sports and people with big audiences like Stephen A (love of hate him, he draws numbers) and Pat McAfee (not sure I get his appeal but he is popular). 

He also sucks at player evaluation. 

This is a lie. 

Kiper was one of , if not the only sports talking head that said Josh should go #1 but yea I agree. That was impressive It's a tough job. Most GMs suck at drafting 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I don’t think you did. Because I did not only mention subscribers. I also wrote that negative cash flow is to be expected with a new streaming service. Netflix hemorrhaged money for 6 years before turning a profit. 

You are completely wrong and digging your heels in while doing so. Hint for you - It was Iger who developed the streaming service before he retired. They brought him back because Chapek was a disaster.

The streaming losses were always part of the plan. Disney knew they would be in the red on the streaming side for several yearsZ It was expected. They expect to profit in 2024.

Haha, yeah. It is genuinely incredible how ignorant posters are on certain topics yet dig their heels in.

This is easier than you r allowing.  Netflix, the market leader, is changing it's model because it will cost too much going for the reasons already mentioned many times.  So it would be odd at best to be confident that Disney will make a lot of profit with a model that the market leader is moving away from. 

"Iger has said Disney had become too fixated on boosting subscriber levels during the nearly two years when Bob Chapek was running the company. Instead, it needs to refocus on profitability, retention and other metrics given the complexities of shifting away from sizable and still-lucrative linear operations."

Of course Iger says streaming will be profitable next year--he has to after the stock has tanked.  It's not clear how he intends to magically, in one year, turn around a business product that is losing 650 million to 1.1 billion per Q.  Hint---it won't be from streaming ESPN content.

Gotta love the small investor optimism, but you need to consider another investment.  Disney is scrambling while it's competitors eat popcorn.

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Gotta love the small investor optimism, but you need to consider another investment.  

Over $5.3M in Disney securities alone. If you want to call that small investor then show your Cap Gains sheet - I’ll wait. I’ve shown mine already.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Over $5.3M in Disney securities alone. If you want to call that small investor then show your Cap Gains sheet - I’ll wait. I’ve shown mine already.

no need to expose yourself again...

Strong work--you had over 7 million a year ago, when it was trading at $125.   Had you cashed out at it's peak, and went with Apple, might have made about $50k.  Way to hang in there.   

But, hey..maybe Bob Iger, who jumped all in on streaming after paying $71 billion for 21st Century Fox, mainly as an IP dump into Disney+.  Now, it has been widely speculated that might put Hulu on the block.

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Now, it has been widely speculated that might put Hulu on the block.

No. Disney will likely purchase the remainder of Hulu. Not sell it. Unless they purchase Netflix, in which case they will likely be forced to sell Hulu to avoid a monopoly.

Disney is already the largest streaming entity in the world, and will only strengthen that hold over the next decade.

Young probably doesn't care. He hasn't look interested in doing TV work since he started.

Glad Kellerman is gone. He gives me anxiety just watching him. So annoying. 

Could care less about the rest, but kind of surprised Kolber and Rose are gone. I dont watch much basketball coverage but Jalen Rose always seemed to make sense while dumb ass Stephen A just yells at the screen. 

On 6/30/2023 at 6:09 PM, Nextmanup said:

How does the creepy bald guy with the glasses manage to avoid all these layoffs, and remain the face of the network?  What photographs is he in possession of?

I don't watch ESPN all too often, so I wasn't sure whom you were referring to at first. So, on a whim, I googled "creepy bald guy ESPN glasses", and lo and behold I got my answer, lol!

Reminds me of the fact he was the one who left that infamous voicemail 15 years or so for his one-time date:

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Screen shot???    

😋

13 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

the issue with 24/7 sports networks is the daytime ratings on M-F.

most fans watching games are not obsessed sports nuts.  They know there team but not much else.  Thr sports stars in the broadcast booth will attract viewers.  Just because they were a good athlete and popular star, does not make them a great tv personality or game analyst.

The reason they had Todd mcshay is because he manages a site they acquired. He had bern the manager of that group for a long time.  They did not hire another drsft guru as you seem to think.

radio announcers need to be different than tv announcers.  It’s a more descriptive format.  Nation radio gets its re ensue stream from radio affiliate fees.  Their operating expenses are covered by the radio fees.

nfl is very different with a true national contract. Local markets don’t have their own tv crews.  Other sports it’s different. Local teams need local crews.

From a profitability standard you could pay the crews on a show a base pay rate then a bonus tied to the ratings/ ad revenue made.

same with major shows like espn sports center…the anchors pay is tied to viewership/ ad revenue.

what has hurt espn has hurt all cable channels and newspapers and the issue of internet access and wanting to see/ read it now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.