McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

56 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I would like to add some unscientific data to the equation. Just do an eyeball test and ask yourself why do you think McD is the man? Just look at his playoff history. The Texans loss. The Jags loss. The 13 second heart ripping disaster. The Cinci embarrassment.

It's all good now, McD has things right where he wants them, and it's not as if he's a control freak or anything.

The entirety of our coaching staff, top 5 guys including McD, are the ones that led the Panthers to greatness under Riverra while McD was there. 

Collectively they're obviously the best coaching staff in the league because they all know each other so well.  And honestly, can you even argue that with their trophy case!  

We're in good hands with the coaching staff that the Panthers had under Riverra, a world-class coach in his own eyes, here in Buffalo.  

I mean just look the collective season unit rankings and stories playoff histories.

And just think about the greatness here!  If we had McD here in the "Wide Right" game, it never would have happened, we'd have punted for better field position when the game had ended.  

Everything's going to be great don'cha know. 

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

Check out the Ryan O’Halloran article in the Buffalo News this morning.  He pontificates about the timing of the extensions and what to expect as a fan.  I think it makes a lot of sense and would be happy if that’s how things worked out.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think something will give soon. Either McDermott misses the playoffs, loses a wild card game, or makes a Super Bowl. One of these will happen soon. 

Or of curiosity, where would you put the odds of those happening?

A.  Not winning the division

B.  Missing the playoffs 

C.  Losing in the WC Round

D.  Losing in the Divisional Round

E.  Winning the AFC 

F.  Winning the Super Bowl 

11 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I've been a fan of this team for over five decades. I'd like to see a Super Bowl win in my lifetime. I'm not denigrating the current regime. I'd like to see them succeed and nothing I said implied otherwise. In fact, I stipulated that I liked them in order to anticipate and ward off your kind of vehemence. If you think holding them accountable and expecting playoff wins beyond the Wild Card round is too much to ask, that's too bad. And if Sean McDermott cannot win with this bunch, the alternative is not fated to be a bad coach, even if out of misplaced Schadenfreude you would like to see that happen.

“ holding them accountable”

Those words make it sound like they’re not doing everything he can to improve the team. This is probably the most loaded roster that this team has ever had this year.

General managers, acquire talent

Coaches coach

Players play

The general manager and the coaches are doing their jobs. The team is top 5 to 7 on both offense and defense. One team wins the Super Bowl every year.

They have either been in the playoffs or in the conference finals for the last what four years

Some of winning a Super Bowl is just good or bad luck

People think of me correctly as skeptical of McDermott.  I have also posted numerous times that we should expect he is being given a ten year window to succeed 

On the other hand most coaches in the nfl who are fired are fired with time left on their contracts. 

In summary management is happy with making the playoffs as the goal.  And if that continues McDermott will get a fill Dan Reeves style 9 or 10 years if the Bills make the playoffs 

I the team implodes and goes backwards, the contract probably does not factor into a retention decision. 

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

“ holding them accountable”

Those words make it sound like they’re not doing everything he can to improve the team. This is probably the most loaded roster that this team has ever had this year.

General managers, acquire talent

Coaches coach

Players play

The general manager and the coaches are doing their jobs. The team is top 5 to 7 on both offense and defense. One team wins the Super Bowl every year.

They have either been in the playoffs or in the conference finals for the last what four years

Some of winning a Super Bowl is just good or bad luck

I remember a few HC's that got fired because they could not get their team over that hump and into the SB. Talented teams. At Some point.. The Front office is going to start asking those tough questions. 

McD and Frazier built a defense to easy against bottom 25 teams.. top 3-4 teams in AFC we seem to struggle on a Defensive HC that should excel against hard teams. I think with McD calling the defensive plays, we will be better. I want to see a SCARY defense out of the gate... Just my thoughts. 

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I remember a few HC's that got fired because they could not get their team over that hump and into the SB. Talented teams. At Some point.. The Front office is going to start asking those tough questions. 

McD and Frazier built a defense to easy against bottom 25 teams.. top 3-4 teams in AFC we seem to struggle on a Defensive HC that should excel against hard teams. I think with McD calling the defensive plays, we will be better. I want to see a SCARY defense out of the gate... Just my thoughts. 

I think it’s going to take the team win loss record to take a step back before anybody gets fired. We were 13 and three last year if we end up going, for instance say 10 and seven then I think they look at it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Uhm, no.

Reid made the AFC Championship game in year 3, 4, 5, and 6. And went to the Super Bowl in year 6.

By the same point in his career that McDermott is in now, Reid had been in 3 more championship games and a Super Bowl.

I must admit. I laughed when I saw that @Augie liked your post that was filled with factual errors. Shows that some posters don’t want facts - they simply want their feelings and opinions validated.

Reid won his 1st Super Bowl in his 21 season as a head coach, so I guess patience is needed here.

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

What you’re describing is tiered progress. While I would not regard these milestones as “success”, I can understand why a fan would want to categorize it that way. 

I’m not categorizing success as a fan. I’m categorizing it as someone who has been part of numerous collaborative efforts in pursuit of an ultimate goal and realizing how many successful outcomes need to be achieved in order to get there. 

15 hours ago, 97bills said:

Right… and I’m tired of watching KC go to the AFCC game every year, and 3 Super Bowl appearances, it feels like NE all over again.  

I got a bad feeling about Mahomes. If healthy, I could see him get at least another 3 SB wins if not more.

If only we had a chance at Mahomes.  Oh wait ......

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

They Bills should have beat KC. They gave the game away in 13 seconds. Many think they had a great chance to go to the SB and win it. No one will really know. The team looked pretty unstoppable. 

The Bills had a great opportunity vs the Texans. They choked the game away. 

They Bills had a great opportunity vs a crappy Jags team. It was a winnable game.

They were totally outclassed and outcoached in the first KC playoff game. Yes KC was better but the coaches game plan was terrible. 

They should have lost to an aging Philip Rivers led Indy team. The team was outcoached by a country mile. 

A 100 yard INT TD saved the day vs a Ravens team. 

Last year they were fortunate to beat Miami. The Cinci game was a disaster. 

During the Bills playoff run can you think of many instances where the coaching staff, game plan, and game time adjustments awed you? Where they were difference makers? Where is the progression in the playoffs? 

You can spin it any way you want. The fact remains the Bills are 4-5 under McD in the playoffs. It's the way they have lost that's the most disturbing. I feel that the coaching staff hasn't put the Bills in the best position to win games. Look at Fraizer as an example. Look at Dorsey last year. Look at McD for 13 seconds. How can a Bills fans not be disappointed by the Bills performance playoff performance under McD? Especially, the last two years. 

The typical response is McD is learning and will improve. Give him time to shine.  Maybe maybe not. It's unknown. I have six years of data to support my doubts. What do McD supporters have to support their thesis or premise that McD can get it done? I suppose it's hope and time because it's might be data. 

Based on your rational the Bills are very unlikely to go to the SB this year. Why? KC and Cinci by almost all football fans are superior teams than Buffalo. Superior coaching staff too. 

To your last paragraph:

The point of my question is to show that they haven't underachieved as you said in the original post I responded to. 

Winning the super bowl requires a tremendous amount of luck.  The Bills have run up against and lost to better teams.  That isnt underachieving.

Lost in all the 13 seconds game that people havent been able to move on from is that the Chiefs lost at home the next week to the Bengals.  Clearly the chiefs and bills were very evenly matched.  Why is it a guarantee that not only the Bills would have beat the Bengals but then also the Rams.

You complain about 4-5 in the playoffs.  You are missing so much context here.  4 wins in the last 6 years by a team is the 8th most.  Since Allen came into his own in 2020 they are tied for the 5th most wins in the playoffs.  The only teams above them are super bowl winners and cincy.

The reality is burrow and mahomes are every bit as good as Allen.  The afc is probably in the middle of the best qb era ever.  Those 3 and herbert, rodgers, tua, lamar, and trevor lawrence.  Add in deshaun watson and russel wilson.  That's 10 good to great qbs in the conference.

If you'd like to play a game, name any coach in the nfl and I can knock them in the exact way you are knocking McDermott.  The fact is the Bills have been one of the best teams in the nfl over his tenure. 

Winning the super bowl is the final bar to clear but there is no real reason to think he can't do it other than he hasn't done it which is silly.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

To your last paragraph:

The point of my question is to show that they haven't underachieved as you said in the original post I responded to. 

Winning the super bowl requires a tremendous amount of luck.  The Bills have run up against and lost to better teams.  That isnt underachieving.

Lost in all the 13 seconds game that people havent been able to move on from is that the Chiefs lost at home the next week to the Bengals.  Clearly the chiefs and bills were very evenly matched.  Why is it a guarantee that not only the Bills would have beat the Bengals but then also the Rams.

You complain about 4-5 in the playoffs.  You are missing so much context here.  4 wins in the last 6 years by a team is the 8th most.  Since Allen came into his own in 2020 they are tied for the 5th most wins in the playoffs.  The only teams above them are super bowl winners and cincy.

The reality is burrow and mahomes are every bit as good as Allen.  The afc is probably in the middle of the best qb era ever.  Those 3 and herbert, rodgers, tua, lamar, and trevor lawrence.  Add in deshaun watson and russel wilson.  That's 10 good to great qbs in the conference.

If you'd like to play a game, name any coach in the nfl and I can knock them in the exact way you are knocking McDermott.  The fact is the Bills have been one of the best teams in the nfl over his tenure. 

Winning the super bowl is the final bar to clear but there is no real reason to think he can't do it other than he hasn't done it which is silly.  

Good post. Agree with everything except Burrow and Mahomes being every bit as good as Allen. 

They have better offensive structures around them. No matter how many times it is discussed, the second Burrow and Mahomes win in the playoffs that is forgotten. 

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m not categorizing success as a fan. I’m categorizing it as someone who has been part of numerous collaborative efforts in pursuit of an ultimate goal and realizing how many successful outcomes need to be achieved in order to get there. 

Yeah, that’s tiered progress.

There is no (or at least very little) correlation between a business or personal collaborative effort with tiered progress, and the NFL.

The NFL does not require tiered progress. Teams can go from missing the playoffs one season to winning the Super Bowl the next. Teams can go from losing nearly half of their regular season games, to winning the Super Bowl, in the same season. 

In the NFL, tiered progress is not required… Unless you are actively seeking something positive to be happy about, to make one feel better.

dont see the need for these extensions right now. Just like i didnt see the need for Dawson Knox's or Ed Oliver's at the time either.

There can be benefits to waiting to make these extensions, many discussed in this thread previously.

But so much for Sean being on the "hot seat" calling defensive plays this year tho. Looks like we've given him some longer leash to play with.

Superbowl or bust but with no option to pivot, really is bust i guess. It doesnt seem we're on an upward ascent, seems we've regressed but with reasons right? lol.

If the team takes a step back this year, God's help us. Superbowl or bust.

39 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Reid won his 1st Super Bowl in his 21 season as a head coach, so I guess patience is needed here.

It’s not.

Reid showed early on that he can make Super Bowls and Championship games. And it took him getting fired and multiple QB’s later to win a Super Bowl.

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Didn’t happen till he had an elite QB… McD has had one the last three years… and Reid was fired in Philly.

I think people tend to view Donovan McNabb very differently in hindsight...........he was a lot better in comparison to his peers than people remember.    

He regularly finished around 8th in the NFL in passer rating despite one of the worst WR groups in the league year after year.

His leading receiver in 2003 was Todd Pinkston with 575 yards.  Yikes.

Josh Allen finished 8th in passer rating with Stef Diggs at his disposal last season......for comparison sake.

In 2004 they finally gave McNabb a WR1 in Terrell Owens.........and he finished 4th in passer rating and the Eagles advanced to a SB.

TO didn't even play half of the next season and then it was back to WR purgatory for McNabb and the Andy Reid Eagles.

And when Reid went to the Chiefs they famously went an entire season without throwing a TD pass to a WR.

Reid got too much of a pass for not having SB caliber QB's............and not enough scrutiny for demanding that they put talent around his QB's.

The latter part of his career they have valued offensive skill talent much more and that has yielded greater results.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

I got a bad feeling about Mahomes. If healthy, I could see him get at least another 3 SB wins if not more.

If only we had a chance at Mahomes.  Oh wait ......

Fans ignore that.

We traded the picks that are the best QB in the NFL and the best WR in the NFL.

But that’s okay, because, excuses…

56 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I can’t believe people are still using “McBeane” after all these years. 

why? You arguing semantics in regards to this dual signing extension? In this thread the moniker totally fits. Are they not joined at the proverbial hip?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, muppy said:

why? You arguing semantics in regards to this dual signing extension? In this thread the moniker totally fits. Are they not joined at the proverbial hip?

I’m not arguing with anyone about anything. 

I just think, and always have thought, it’s a dumb moniker. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah, that’s tiered progress.

There is no (or at least very little) correlation between a business or personal collaborative effort with tiered progress, and the NFL.

The NFL does not require tiered progress. Teams can go from missing the playoffs one season to winning the Super Bowl the next. Teams can go from losing nearly half of their regular season games, to winning the Super Bowl, in the same season. 

In the NFL, tiered progress is not required… Unless you are actively seeking something positive to be happy about, to make one feel better.

I’m growing bored with what is essentially a semantic argument with an egomaniac who feels only he can define things for everyone else.

Is failure the opposite of success or not? Are the Bills a successful team or not? 

35 minutes ago, Radar said:

Question: Would you rather have the Bills get to playoffs 5 straight years and win 1 Super Bowl or get to playoffs 10 straight years and win 0 Super Bowls?

Answer: Ten straight. 

Wow. This speaks volumes.

9 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Actually the problem is you’re working with 2 beers shy of a sixer and there’s no use arguing with someone either this stupid or this deranged.

That's your response to that?  Are you just lost watching the game and dont understand it?  Or just a troll?  I see youre always asking to be enlightened, or to be told how, followed by insults.  You spend how many hours on football and are completely lost?  Its just not your forte.  You can do other things.  Gardening or take the dog for a walk. something

Edited by 1onemangang7

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think people tend to view Donovan McNabb very differently in hindsight...........he was a lot better in comparison to his peers than people remember.    

He regularly finished around 8th in the NFL in passer rating despite one of the worst WR groups in the league year after year.

His leading receiver in 2003 was Todd Pinkston with 575 yards.  Yikes.

Josh Allen finished 8th in passer rating with Stef Diggs at his disposal last season......for comparison sake.

In 2004 they finally gave McNabb a WR1 in Terrell Owens.........and he finished 4th in passer rating and the Eagles advanced to a SB.

TO didn't even play half of the next season and then it was back to WR purgatory for McNabb and the Andy Reid Eagles.

And when Reid went to the Chiefs they famously went an entire season without throwing a TD pass to a WR.

Reid got too much of a pass for not having SB caliber QB's............and not enough scrutiny for demanding that they put talent around his QB's.

The latter part of his career they have valued offensive skill talent much more and that has yielded greater results.

McNabb was good but I think you’re overrating him a bit. He averaged 18 TD’s per season. That’s pretty low.

It took him 8 seasons to have as many passing TD’s as Allen has in 5 (not even including rushing TD’s).

That Super Bowl year you mentioned seemed to break him. He only had 2 seasons with more than 20 TD’s the remainder of his 7 year career.

Edited by Einstein

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

OOOH so sinister so inside baseball. Tell us all your secrets please you zero. You’re nobody.

the run line is the squarest bet in baseball, but that is no secret to many.......just like Kelly, Thurman Thomas has told you and most pundits coast to coast outside of Buffalo.  They all believe Josh Allen has to do too much and would benefit from a run game.  So far, the best that these extended guys have offered is Singletary, and Cook...two guys that cant start anywhere else in the NFL......with pressure, the gm went and got an aging back and a cheap back, but the hopes are pinned on Cook, which does zero for Allen.  

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Are the Bills a successful team or not? 

The Bills have not been successful at completing the one and only goal of every NFL team.

They have not even been successful at gaining entry to the event (Super Bowl) that gives them the opportunity to grasp the one and only goal.

Nothing to do with egotism. It’s just fact. 

“Our goal is to win the Super Bowl” - Josh Allen

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

The Bills have not been successful at completing the one and only goal of every NFL team.

They have not even been successful at gaining entry to the event (Super Bowl) that gives them the opportunity to grasp the one and only goal.

Nothing to do with egotism. It’s just fact. 

“Our goal is to win the Super Bowl” - Josh Allen

Equivocate much? 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Or of curiosity, where would you put the odds of those happening?

A.  Not winning the division

B.  Missing the playoffs 

C.  Losing in the WC Round

D.  Losing in the Divisional Round

E.  Winning the AFC 

F.  Winning the Super Bowl 

Probably that order, greatest to worst.

Just now, K-9 said:

Equivocate much? 

I could not have been more clear.

A team has a successful season if they win the Super Bowl. If they don’t, it wasn’t successful. Doesn’t mean the team sucks, but they did not meet their goal.

Notice that Allen didn’t mention the “micro goals” you love? Because he (rightfully so) doesn’t give a crap about those. “The goal is to win the super bowl” - Josh Allen

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mahomes is Mahomes because of Reid. Do you see the play calling? It’s incredible. I would watch last yr and witnessed Allen playing hero ball nearly every snap. I want an offensive minded coach, McDermott ain’t him. I’ll wait for full justification until after this season. If this year is similar I want him gone. 

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I could not have been more clear.

A team has a successful season if they win the Super Bowl. If they don’t, it wasn’t successful. Doesn’t mean the team sucks, but they did not meet their goal.

Notice that Allen didn’t mention the “micro goals” you love? Because he (rightfully so) doesn’t give a crap about those. “The goal is to win the super bowl” - Josh Allen

Is Allen a failure?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.