Detroit-unveils new Helmet in honor of their 90th season

TBBills Fan

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Love the color of the helmet and its style...as far as the logo goes, I like the refresh, but I would say it’s good but could have been better.  

I wouldn’t call it a refresh - isn’t it the old school logo from the 60s and 70s?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fred Marchibroda said:

Agreed…and 3/4 of that animal actually looks like a skinny greyhound and not a lion.   
This dog groomer did this lion no favors

well again, take that up with the designer of of the 60’s logo, who’s probably dead. This is a straight up throwback on top of a modern matte Honolulu blue helmet. Pretty ingenious design. 

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Love the color of the helmet and its style...as far as the logo goes, I like the refresh, but I would say its good but could have been better.  

Overall though, I think the new helmet is a win and I dig it.  I would love to see a helmet with Bills colors using this style of base paint myself personally.  

That’s an old secondary logo they put on that helmet.

11 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ehh, still an ugly color concept, very reflective of Detroit, bland and outdated.

I disagree on the color being reflective of Detroit.

For one thing the official color is "Honolulu Blue' which I think is a fitting name in that it evokes a warm weather locale. To me Detroit is rundown but not bland. Like its smaller cousins Cleveland and Buffalo, Detroit is rust belty and past its prime but not bland. I always thought the Lions colors were incongruous with the city whereas the Bills and Browns colors seem fitting to me.

9 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I like the helmet color, but hate the logo. The lion is cheesy and the 2 strips behind it don't seem to fit.

I thought the same thing... what's with those vertical rectangles? Then I saw this below and it explains everything.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

472.gif

Helmet is good.   As mentioned in other posts, that gray mono look is by far the worst in the league.  The blue helmet makes it even more gross.   A throwback helmet paired with the attempted modern uniform doesn’t make sense. 

The T-Day game was hard to watch with those unis.   Don’t understand why someone thought that was a good idea. 

The helmet is bad ass. Finally got it when y’all brought up the mustang stripes and the old lion logo. I think a white stripe woulda been better than a grey one though, and I think a white or black uniform would have been better.

The blue is sharp af and I like the reasoning behind the concept 

18 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Im not sure I like the lion in the logo. It looks stretched out, too thin, and I dont mean to insult the artist but looks too amateurish.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Good catch. I like the color and concept but something felt off. It was the lion.  Looked too tame for football. And you're right, the body just looks like cheap clipart instead of art.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He doesn't seem to happy about it either.  I think it would look fine on anything but their grey jerseys.  

Yeah, I don’t like those grey uniforms at all. I do dig the helmet though, especially the Honolulu Blue. 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/6/22/23769071/detroit-lions-alternate-helmet-2023-approval-poll-reactions-grades

The Detroit Lions announced a new helmet design for the 2023 season on Wednesday and certainly went all out with it. The color is quintessential Lions but unique for the NFL and the helmet will only be featured twice this upcoming season

The two games chosen make a lot of sense: a home “Monday Night Football” contest against the Raiders and the season finale at home against the Vikings. Both games will also feature the gray alternate jerseys that fans have become familiar with in recent years.

The bigger issue is the pairing with the gray uniform. I know the Lions were limited here, but I really wish they would have been able to feature this helmet with an all-white jersey combo. That would really make the helmet pop instead of being oddly mismatched with such a dark uniform. For that reason alone, I cannot go higher than a B.

new_helmets_details.0.png

Just now, skibum said:

What's with the grey and blue bars behind the lion? They are distracting, and they extend up to where there's a ridge on the helmet, distorting them. What a terrible design!

If you read earlier in thread you can see it is all part of the retro look on a different type of helmet.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, Gregg said:

Agree with you on that one.

I don't know about the Bills, but the Seahawks will wear their old uniforms this year vs the Browns week 8 per the uniform gridiron database site.

2023_SEA_P.png

It's about time Seattle wore these uniforms as a throwback.

They are great.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/21/2023 at 2:57 PM, eball said:

The "stretched out" Lion over stripes was their primary logo from 1961-1969.  It's a retro helmet.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:55 AM, Homey D. Clown said:

For those criticising the lion logo, it's the 1960's era logo, the stripes and everything.  I like it, I think it's as cool as the standing Buffalo.

Exactly, thanks y'all.  Some of you other folks have never looked at old logos and it shows... 

Edited by letsgoteam

27 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Actually two.

It's already up at the uniform gridiron database page. Week 8 against the Raiders, and the season finale against the Vikings. Four of the Lions games have the uniforms posted already. Kind of early since we are only in June.

On 6/23/2023 at 11:13 AM, letsgoteam said:

Exactly, thanks y'all.  Some of you other folks have never looked at old logos and it shows... 

I did not know it was an old logo but even the standing buffalo is much more crisp. If they wanted it to be a throwback to their old logo then fine then. It just looks like an amateur freehand drawing of a lion.

image.png.665e3740212ecbdf075ee25e10859e66.pngimage.png.620284d7d7276fe16c94e6305e684f21.png

They should have made a deal with Ford (not sure if her family still has influence although the owner Sheila Ford Hamp family is descendant of Ford fortune) to have a special 90th anniversary Ford Mustang car in the Honolulu blue with a Lions emblem on it.  It would be great in advertising and help celebrate the anniversary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.