Bills promote Eric Washington to assistant head coach

elroy16

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Growing. The "ing" signifies he's in the process of something. They teach prefix and suffix usage and meanings in like...3rd grade. 

bro you can’t make it make sense. That’s like me saying Josh is growing a Jesus beard just cause he’s growing a brown beard…stop it 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I met his wife the morning after the preseason game against the Panthers, while having breakfast at the hotel.  She saw us in Bills gear and came over to ask why there are so man Bills fans in every city when they play 😛 Was very nice.  I also met Eli Ankou's parents at the same breakfast :) (and sat with Brandin Bryant's Dad in the councourse during the initial rain delay before the game the night before) 

19 minutes ago, StHustle said:

bro you can’t make it make sense. That’s like me saying Josh is growing a Jesus beard just cause he’s growing a brown beard…stop it 

1) That is pretty funny and great analogue.

2) Can we all stop trying to be "outraged" and offended about trivial matters.  So you might be offended about his Lovie Smith comment, he might be offended about your Jesus beard?  Are anyone of us making real "progress".

8 hours ago, elroy16 said:

This is the last straw... 

At this point the only honorable thing for McDermott to do would be to tender his resignation.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Dave Toub (Assistant Head Coach): Coached with Reid in Philly

Matt Nagy (Offensive Coordinator): Coached with Reid in Philly

Steve Spagnoulo (Defensive Coordinator): Coached with Reid in Philly

Its like you guys just make up trends that can plausibly lead less informed people to ridiculous conclusions like McDermott is big on nepotism and it is hurting the Bills 😂

Edit: Not to mention McDermott first hired Daboll and Frasier who as far as I recall never coached with him. You can't make this crap up.

It would be a rare organization indeed where senior managers did not hire people they know and trust for key positions when possible and warranted.  In fact, said managers would be fools for not doing so.  

55 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

1) That is pretty funny and great analogue.

2) Can we all stop trying to be "outraged" and offended about trivial matters.  So you might be offended about his Lovie Smith comment, he might be offended about your Jesus beard?  Are anyone of us making real "progress".

Lol who was offended or outraged? Not me. I just pointed out what he said made no sense. Washington has a well trimmed beard. He isn't close to "growing a Lovie Smith beard." That's like me saying some random guy with an army buzz cut is growing '22 Aaron Rodgers hair cause he has any amount of hair on his head and it's the same color as Rodgers' hair.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

If you buy the excuse the Bills gave (Frazier desiring to take a year off) then good for you, but don’t expect us all to be as gullible.

[ad hominem here, but not an attack]

Gullible reads here as "its for children, and I am NOT a child.  Unlike You (insert name of poster you quoted)!"

part of the affliction of being young and not yet fully matured in your thinking, and one of the obvious tell-tales, is spending time to prove that you are Not young and you Are fully matured.   like a kid getting up on his tippy toes.   Or a person talking about sex in such a way that its obvious she has never actually done it.

I like your posts, because they stir up conversation during down time.  even if its not about football.  But you really do seem to be trying to prove something besides "i'm smart and i have a lot of money"

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve come to the conclusion the Bills are so good that they’re bad. This tends to happen when you’re really good but aren’t the best. So even though you’re good the narrative is that you’re bad because you can’t be the best.

its more like the conclusion that the bills are the absoulte tops and best of the bad teams.  But havent done a single thing to break through.

where "bad" means "not quite championship calibre"

and i think championship calibre means that you dont have to work to actually imagine this team hoisting the Lombardi.   Without thinking it was luck.  That feeling of "yep.  That is a champion.  not just the winner of a tournament"

Edited by maddenboy

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Odd move. Usually this is done to protect them from leaving for a coordinator job somewhere else. I beleive the assistant HC title means Bills can block interviews for DC. He doesn't seem like a guy that would be on anyone's list for a DC job but who knows. 

if down the stretch we have Floyd, Rousseau, Miller and Oliver racking up sacks, he could quickly elevate. Our defense has a decent rep and that unit could make a big jump, possibly 

• Like (+1) 1

yeah.  I'm starting to think that, since our team is Not going to change its defensive leanings anytime soon, via expenditures and coaching philosophy, that instead of blowing it up and rebuilding an offensive team, what we need is defensive Playmakers.  And for them to actually make Plays. 

Because if we get that, then yes we can win it all.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

[ad hominem here, but not an attack]

Gullible reads here as "its for children, and I am NOT a child.  Unlike You (insert name of poster you quoted)!"

part of the affliction of being young and not yet fully matured in your thinking, and one of the obvious tell-tales, is spending time to prove that you are Not young and you Are fully matured. 

I like your posts, because they stir up conversation during down time.  even if its not about football.  But you really do seem to be trying to prove something besides "i'm smart and i have a lot of money"

The “gullible” in this case was meant as a dig at me. He thinks I was gullible enough to believe everything they said was a 100% accurate recitation of what really happened. But I’m old enough and wise enough to know to never give their exact words too much importance. People react in ways that are most convenient to them, generally.

Life is many shades of gray, and some people are too literal and can miss much of what is happening all around them. I have a brother-in-law who is brilliant….. in some respects. Make it math or science and he’s your guy. If the job is dealing with people, you need to find him something math or science related to do. We’re all different. Some are more enjoyable than others. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

The “gullible” in this case was meant as a dig at me. He thinks I was gullible enough to believe everything they said was a 100% accurate recitation of what really happened. But I’m old enough and wise enough to know to never give their exact words too much importance. People react in ways that are most convenient to them, generally.

Life is many shades of gray, and some people are too literal and can miss much of what is happening all around them. I have a brother-in-law who is brilliant….. in some respects. Make it math or science and he’s your guy. If the job is dealing with people, you need to find him some math or science related to do. We’re all different. Some are more enjoyable than others. 

yes.

my larger point is that most people would never even think to use the word 'gullible.'  We would think that you, as a grownup, used a process to arrive at a position.  And i think your process and/or conclusion is flawed.

i would never expect that you would have been hypnotized by what the Bills said, such that it suspended your thinking.

Only kids think that way.   Even grownups who are considered stupid are actually applying a process and working hard at it, using the tools they have.   They just keep getting bad results over and over.

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

its more like the conclusion that the bills are the absoulte tops and best of the bad teams.  But havent done a single thing to break through.

where "bad" means "not quite championship calibre"

and i think championship calibre means that you dont have to work to actually imagine this team hoisting the Lombardi.   Without thinking it was luck.  That feeling of "yep.  That is a champion.  not just the winner of a tournament"

And teasing this out, about the top level of the non-championship calibre:

Dallas is right there with us.  You just know they dont look . . . quite . . . like a champion.   Instead, they look like a team that could possibly get hot in the playoffs and win it all.   Just like the Bills do.

They, like us, wanted dalton Kincaid in the strongest possible way.  So maybe we took a baby step ahead of the rest of the 'bad' teams.  Assuming, of course, that either or both knows how to fix being 'bad' again this year.

Edited by maddenboy

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

[ad hominem here, but not an attack]. Gullible reads here as "its for children, and I am NOT a child.  

It was a tip of the hat. My response was essentially echoing a post I had received from Augie about an hour earlier. He admonished me with phrases such as "you do you" and "don't embarrass yourself". Consequently, my remark, "then good for you" and "don't expect us all to be as gullible", was a gentler restatement of his words. 

It's important to track the flow of discussions to fully comprehend the dynamics of the exchanges happening here. Unfortunately, my posts often go over peoples heads.

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I like your posts, because they stir up conversation during down time.  even if its not about football. 

Thank you.

I often enjoy the posts of people whom I disagree with as well. Variety is a spice and I don't prefer bland food, conversations, or anything else for that matter.

Edited by Einstein

2 hours ago, buffblue said:

Not going to make a big deal out of this because it really isn't, but Washington is a rather undeserving choice. He was horrible as McD's replacement at DC in Carolina and has underachieved in DL development with the Bills imo

Sometimes guys learn and grow.  

Daboll wasn't a popular choice for OC when McD hired him because Daboll had failed in the coordinator role at Cleveland... and then again in Miami... and yet again in KC.  But he did well enough with us to earn a Head Coach position.  

I'm not sure Washington underachieved with the DL.  I think Beane hasn't drafted as well for the DL as we may have hoped.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

LOL  

One game, in a season whereby they collectively got their butts handed to them by an inferior team led by Gary Kubiak and one of the worst QBs in league history that season.  

That's exactly my point, they may look good on paper but when it comes to playing even to their averages in the biggest of games, much less above-average, not a one of 'em has any history with that besides one of underachievement.  

Call me nuts, but I don't see any significant future discussion of a "McDermott Coaching Tree" here.  LOL  

So your sole criteria in a HC is a super bowl winning HC? lmao. Because no matter what you always fall back to "he hasn't won the big one".

So here are your choices from past 20 years:

Andy Reid (Chiefs HC)

Sean McVay (Rams HC)

Bruce Arians (Bucs weird GM role)

Bill Belichick (Pats HC)

Gary Kubiak (Coaching in Europe)

Pete Carroll (Seahawks HC)

John Harbaugh (Ravens HC)

Tom Coughlin (Retired)

Mike McCarthy (Cowboys HC)

Sean Payton (Broncos HC)

Mike Tomlin (Steelers HC)

Tony Dungy (Retired) 

Bill Cowher (Retired)

Jon Gruden (Blacklisted)

Brian Billick (Arizona State Advisor)

Dick Vermeil (Retired)

Congrats Brian Billick. You are the sole survivor of PBF81's criteria for HC for the Bills and we'd like to take you over Sean McDermott because you have PROVEN you can win a super bowl. 😂

Oh wait we could have had Sean Payton. The guy that made the playoffs 60% of the time with Drew Brees at QB for 15+ years. But at least he showed he can win a Super Bowl 15 years ago!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MWK said:

Should be fired instead for the consistent underperformance and lack of development. This promotion just goes to show you what being friends with McDermott can do for you.

True, but the coaching community of the entire NFL is a tiny, inbred, little swamp.

24 minutes ago, Sargent Hulka said:

Sure it is. You take away Josh Allen, and tell me what McDermott's W/L record would be?

Probably 9-10 wins. Their defense has been very good. They allowed the fewest points in the NFL in 2021 and 2nd fewest in 2022.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Exactly.

So only a win or two more than when Rex was coach.

If you can win 10 games with Kyle Allen as QB if Josh Allen goes down...McDermott would be in consideration for coach of the year.

That would be a successful season with a back up QB.

If any HC loses their franchise level QB, they become a mediocre team and probably worse.

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Exactly.

So only a win or two more than when Rex was coach.

That’s Bill Belichick also. Not sure what your point is? That any coach would win 13 games with Allen? I would say any good defensive coach. I’ve seen franchise QBs have bad win/loss records because of the defense.

I don’t think McDermott is irreplaceable. It just doesn’t make sense to fire McDermott. Heck the GM even said he doesn’t know how McDermott won 13 games last year. He thought he should’ve won coach of the year. 

12 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

So your sole criteria in a HC is a super bowl winning HC? lmao. Because no matter what you always fall back to "he hasn't won the big one".

So here are your choices from past 20 years:

Andy Reid (Chiefs HC)

Sean McVay (Rams HC)

Bruce Arians (Bucs weird GM role)

Bill Belichick (Pats HC)

Gary Kubiak (Coaching in Europe)

Pete Carroll (Seahawks HC)

John Harbaugh (Ravens HC)

Tom Coughlin (Retired)

Mike McCarthy (Cowboys HC)

Sean Payton (Broncos HC)

Mike Tomlin (Steelers HC)

Tony Dungy (Retired) 

Bill Cowher (Retired)

Jon Gruden (Blacklisted)

Brian Billick (Arizona State Advisor)

Dick Vermeil (Retired)

Congrats Brian Billick. You are the sole survivor of PBF81's criteria for HC for the Bills and we'd like to take you over Sean McDermott because you have PROVEN you can win a super bowl. 😂

Oh wait we could have had Sean Payton. The guy that made the playoffs 60% of the time with Drew Brees at QB for 15+ years. But at least he showed he can win a Super Bowl 15 years ago!

Oh, I finally get it.  McD & Co. have proven to be the ones to get us there.

So clear now.   

BTW, there are quite a few coaches absent from your list.  Not that it's a surprise that you didn't list them or anything.  

You McD apologists really need to come up with some new material.  

😂

Edited by PBF81

53 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If any HC loses their franchise level QB, they become a mediocre team and probably worse.

It's true that as the QB goes, so does the team. Which is why I believe if we replaced McDermott, you would see very little drop-off.

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s Bill Belichick also.

Belichick won 11 games when his franchise QB went down in 2008. One of the best coaching jobs in history.

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It just doesn’t make sense to fire McDermott. 

I agree. Which is why im not advocating to fire him right now. But if he continues to crap his pants in the playoffs, we can not waste Allen's entire career hoping McDermott will figure it out.

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Belichick won 11 games when his franchise QB went down in 2008. One of the best coaching jobs in history.

You agreed that McDermott could win around 10 games without Allen.  So we are talking about just 1 game off of Belicheck's best coaching jobs in history?

But to go further into this, lets dive a little deeper.

The 2007 won 16 regular season games.  2008, they won 11.  That's a 5 game drop and that's pretty significant.  

The 2007 team averaged almost 37 points a game.  2008, 25 points a game.  That's a pretty significant drop.

The 2007 team strength of schedule was #1.  2008, #8.  A slight drop off.

The 2007 team +315 point differential.  2008, +101.  Pretty significant.

Yes Belicheck did a good job but that team was absolutely loaded.  Plus Matt Cassell had a few good years in his career.  Most of it sucked but he did have some good years too.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.