Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Any competent DC is going to scheme to take Diggs away.  Man coverage with safety help over the top.

The other WR or TE should have one on one coverage.  Thats where Josh should go with the ball.

or dump it off to a RB. 

• Like (+1) 1

About a week after the Bengals game I heard it through the grapevine there was a domestic disturbance at Allen’s house the night before the Bengals game and Diggs felt Josh’s head wasn’t in that game.  Which is what his issue was.  I didn’t want to say anything because I assumed it would be resolved by now.  

This is just something that was told to me who knew one of the police officers.  I’m not 100% sure he wasn’t full of *****.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Diggs - What are we gonna do to get better?

McBeane - You just wait and see. Major moves coming Stef. 

McBeane - What did I tell you. Have you seen Sherfield and Harty. I love these guys.

Diggs - Huh? For the practice squad? 

McBeane - Just wait until the draft.

McBeane - Hell yeah. Kincaid. Game changer.

Diggs - Kincaid, Sherfield, Harty. Are you serious? I am going to be triple covered. 

McBeane - Great right? Will open things up for other guys. 

Diggs - Huh? I hear DHop is still available. He can really open things up for everyone.

McBeane - We looked into it. Kenny doesnt think its a good fit for what we wanna do and will only take away targets from Harty and Sherfield. 

Diggs - I am staying home. Let me know how those practices go...

Brilliant !!

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

He was responding to a direct question of "How concerned are you about that?" (follow-up to "Stef is not here") - I feel like people were going run with something regardless, given the situation.  If he said "Not concerned at all" then people would be screaming 'How can the coach be so out of touch with what is clearly an issue', if he said "No comment" then it just opens it up to wild speculation regardless

I get that, and I don't want to be hyper-critical about a single comment. But it has definitely made the story take off nationally.

Belichick had the same question today about Lawrence Guy's absence, and all he said was that the reporters would have to talk to Guy.  It was still a story, but he handles that stuff a bit better (imo).

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

geniuses don’t concern themselves with details.

Ahh, I see. I remember having a boss who always touted about he did the hard part of coming up with the "ideas". Genius stuff like, "We should increase revenue. I'll let you guys sort out the details." I just forgot what being around true genius is like. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Any competent DC is going to scheme to take Diggs away.  Man coverage with safety help over the top.

The other WR or TE should have one on one coverage.  Thats where Josh should go with the ball.

sure, but there were plenty of competent dc's that also played against gronk, kelce, hill, higgins, chase, kupp etc, and they still had good to great games.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

But then you are letting opponent take away your #1 weapon; not good strategy.

Do you think people know Kelce is going to get the ball?  Somehow no one ever takes him out of the game though.

Dorsey isn't very good and he'll  be gone after this year--just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

If that's something that has led to this I'd be surprised.  To start, it sounds like simple legal troubles, and secondly, it occurred over a week ago, not like it occurred last night.  

Also the talking points wouldn't be about the "concern" over his absence. And Allen wouldn't have mentioned that they still have to work out some things from last year. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

About a week after the Bengals game I heard it through the grapevine there was a domestic disturbance at Allen’s house the night before the Bengals game and Diggs felt Josh’s head wasn’t in that game.  Which is what his issue was.  I didn’t want to say anything because I assumed it would be resolved by now.  

This is just something that was told to me who knew one of the police officers.  I’m not 100% sure he wasn’t full of *****.

I read on this board that Josh was in a huge fight with his ex.

13 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

If he's putting pressure on Dorsey and how the offense is conducted, he's in line with a lot of the fans. As a professional today is a weird look, but I've got no qualms with more scrutiny on offensive play calling. (If this is related to that, which I believe it is)

At some point that points back to McD though.  As the head coach you have to have control over your coordinators.  Dorsey was clearly in over his head last season.  McD should have been there to mitigate that damage.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

You are likely correct, but I have little patience for it. 

The dude was about 2 targets per game. Not catches, two passes thrown in his general direction, from being the 10th most targeted receiver in league history. 

A WR that close to history whining 6-7 months later about total targets is absolutely insane to me. At scale there are no more targets realistic number of targets for him. It is just crazy

Declining usage down the stretch-  I don’t think it’s based on the season as a whole, but in our season ending games. 

in the last 2 season ending losses he has a combined 7 catches for 42 yards on 16 targets.  

he’s pissed and wants to make sure that doesn’t happen again this season.  If this is his reasoning for being upset, it’s valid.  He’s just chosen a very poor way of trying to get his point across.  

I hope that we eventually find out a confirmed truth to his frustration but knowing this FO, we’ll only hear rumors. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Ahh, I see. I remember having a boss who always touted about he did the hard part of coming up with the "ideas". Genius stuff like, "We should increase revenue. I'll let you guys sort out the details." I just forgot what being around true genius is like. 

<youtube>

Edited by phypon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Nextmanup said:

But then you are letting opponent take away your #1 weapon; not good strategy.

Do you think people know Kelce is going to get the ball?  Somehow no one ever takes him out of the game though.

Dorsey isn't very good and he'll  be gone after this year--just my opinion.

Kelce's also a freak of an athlete which only helps him, as until CBs/S start becoming 6'6"  is almost always a mismatch waiting to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

sure, but there were plenty of competent dc's that also played against gronk, kelce, hill, higgins, chase, kupp etc, and they still had good to great games.

The problem is we still force feed Diggs the ball at times. We rarely make teams pay for devoting two players to Diggs. We saw something similar with Daboll as well. Some of the issue is our OC and some is on the QB. We have to do a better job of forcing teams to cover everybody. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

UPDATE:

JOSH ALLEN said that it is NOT football related and he backs him 100% in a tweet.

It has to be about his brother. Now we can all revert back to that Mafia love and support we offer so well.

This was mentioned up thread and yet no one is commenting on this.

If that's coming from Josh and he says its not football related, it probably isn't football related.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

I have a voice in my head that told me that Josh was sleeping with Stef's Mom.  Not sure on the validity of it, but thought I'd pass it along.

Damn, Josh is better than Zach Wilson in every single way. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I've heard the same through the police. Allen's place was trashed at 3am 

11 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I'm going with the Darez Diggs legal trouble issues. I beleive the Diggs family is close and looks like Darez just got himself into some bigtime legal trouble

This makes the MOST sense - like his LITERAL brother could be going away, that's going to be a concern, especially for a guy like Steph. :beer: 

Even makes sense with Josh's comments.  Not as much fun as the myriad of theories from the real insider / know-it-alls here though, I guess...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

I have a voice in my head that told me that Josh was sleeping with Stef's Mom.  Not sure on the validity of it, but thought I'd pass it along.

Dam!! You go stef!!!  Brittney and now his Mom too?!?!? 

<insert cool Giphy here>

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

He has 120.2 passer rating when targeted and he get targeted more than all but 4 wideouts in the whole league

Like he almost can't get any better or any more than he already is

I believe he sees it as poor situational usage. I couldn't tell you if Stef was targeted less in critical moments and games, and I don't have an argument that he wasn't.

But for the offense as a whole, despite the stats, looked a bit out of sorts for much of the year. Or at least had long spells where things looked more difficult for them than I would have expected.

It's certainly possible that my nebulous "eye test" is incorrect fan nonsense, but they sure didn't look as efficient as we've seen them to me. Certainly Josh not taking the short and intermediate options as the year progressed made it seem like a boom/bust operation. 

11 minutes ago, stevewin said:

He was responding to a direct question of "How concerned are you about that?" (follow-up to "Stef is not here") - I feel like people were going run with something regardless, given the situation.  If he said "Not concerned at all" then people would be screaming 'How can the coach be so out of touch with what is clearly an issue', if he said "No comment" then it just opens it up to wild speculation regardless

He could have just said “We hope to get Stef here soon” and leave it at that.

McD purposefully said wha he said. It was a shot across the bow.

10 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Davis was in that m2m position, and wide open, so often when Allen threw to Diggs.  

It actually hurt the team at some of those times when those passes in double-coverage were defended or otherwise fell incomplete.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

If that's coming from Josh and he says its not football related, it probably isn't football related.

I should have linked it to my post, but I didn't... that's why I was waiting on clarification before I overreacted LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This was all the place. Everyone was talking about it.

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

At some point that points back to McD though.  As the head coach you have to have control over your coordinators.  Dorsey was clearly in over his head last season.  McD should have been there to mitigate that damage.  

No argument from me on that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

This makes the MOST sense - like his LITERAL brother could be going away, that's going to be a concern, especially for a guy like Steph. :beer: 

Even makes sense with Josh's comments.  Not as much fun as the myriad of theories from the real insider / know-it-alls here though, I guess...

I wonder if this means that that guy can end his hunger strike.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He has 120.2 passer rating when targeted and he get targeted more than all but 4 wideouts in the whole league

Like he almost can't get any better or any more than he already is

3, really. The Bills only played 16 games and Diggs was going to end up with a lot of targets in that cancelled Bengals game.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It just makes no sense.

If that were true, McD wouldn’t have said what he said.

Which is probably why Allen said there were things we should have done better last year. This is likely the true reason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.