Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

Crummy, but there is enough time to get things fixed before the start of the season if things can be resolved and the situation does not involve some type of unforeseen circumstance.  Hopefully, it will not be one of those situations where Diggs does not report back to minicamp and goes silent, so no one knows what is going on and we are all subject to the wild speculation that will explode with this type of situation.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's how you want to interpret it.

I think any coach would say their #1WR, Captain, and star player missing 1 day of practice is "very concerning". But really, to what extent? There is a TON of room on that spectrum. From mild coach-speak to hysterical panicking. Unfortunately, most fans choose hysterical panicking since they have nothing better to do.

"hysterical panicking..." is what you gleaned from my posts? I don't think it's hysterical when I simply stated, "if this goes on..." and indicated that should it continue and based on McD's statements, it's more than just, "Eh, he's driving his Ferrari around and doesn't want to stop" or "He overslept", etc....my point was simply that I didn't buy into any of this until today, when McD made his statement. Should he show up and practice tomorrow, this will not be an issue and I'll certainly question why McD would say he's "very concerned" when historically he's not made statements of that nature, but right now - it's a wait and see. That was all I said in my original post until someone decided to act childish and dismissive because I indicated there might be more to this than I (maybe others as well) originally thought. 

I'll just say that I love Diggs' passion and emotion. If we're being honest, wasn't he saying exactly what a lot of fans were, especially during the playoff loss?

I'm not saying it was the most professional way to go about it, and I don't agree with leaving the stadium before the post game meeting and having to be coaxed back in, but I also get it. Again, don't agree, but understand the volcano of emotions, and I was just watching the game (and the last few of the season). 

The guy wants to win for the fans and this city so badly and sometimes that emotion gets the best of him. Hopefully that can be addressed so that we can get to winning in 2023. 

I just hope Diggs is OK personally/health wise. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just another punk diva WR.  I will be interested to see all the homers defend him now. Does being so competitive and wanting to win include not showing up for mandatory minicamp?

Nice contract structure…either take a MASSIVE dead cap hit in 2024, or live with this primadonna. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Man, nothing brings you out like a negative angle.  What is your need to over dramatize everything? 

Your refusal to see a massive issue is not analogous with me over dramatizing.

The head coach himself said he is very concerned. Is he over dramatizing as well?

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean the real news is he's not there

until then what else is there to do except speculate why lol

Well I speculate to myself various possibilities but it's just to pass the time while I wait for the reasons the involved people give as explanation.  

20 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm over the guy.

He's past the point of no return.

I hope he comes around and does well for us, but I'm done with him.

He's just a leader with a lot of fire....

He's a me first guy who has consistently acted in his own best interest.   Leaders show up to camp, mandatory or not.

This will be his last year in Buffalo.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think he made it clear t the team during and after the playoff loss last season what he’s upset about. Lack of effort by many players and Dorsey. I honestly don’t know if he’s upset with Allen or not.

Parting ways now would be very, very difficult. If traded his 2023 dead cap would be $13.2M which would gain the Bills $1.7M in space. But his 2024 dead cap would be $31.1M. Outright cutting him would only be marginally worse this season and the same next. LINK

Diggs holds all the cards here and he knows it. 

I'm on record saying Diggs would be a problem this year. I rec'd a lot of negativity for that. This is just the beginning. 

Imho, Diggs is a super competitive player. He wants to win and doesn't handle losing well. He can likely see McD and Dorsey can't and won't get it done.

He bit his tongue on the sideline with McD. He's probably close to reaching his breaking point. 

The McD culture building will be fractured. It is likely to get pretty ugly. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

You could tell Diggs was upset multiple times during the season last year. IMO, he’s probably PO’d at the lack WR’s complimenting him and he’s tired of trying to carry this offense on his back. The Bills brought in lower end WR’s and drafted a TE, that’s nowhere near enough to take the pressure off of the double coverage Diggs constantly faces.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is a pretty entertaining thread.  Unfortunately, I don't think we will get to 200 pages.  I think Josh will make the boo-boo all better after practice and Diggs will return tomorrow.

I'll step out and guess 80 by 6 p.m. 

I ... MUST ... BREAK ... FREE!!!  

But I can't, the humor is too good to pass up.  

LOL 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

Well I speculate to myself various possibilities but it's just to pass the time while I wait for the reasons the involved people give as explanation.  

The involved people rarely give those explanations out tho

No explanation for the end of the Chiefs game, no explanation for the shouting match on the sidelines, I wouldn't hold my breath for an explanation on this one either

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Just another punk diva WR.  I will be interested to see all the homers defend him now. Does being so competitive and wanting to win include not showing up for mandatory minicamp?

Nice contract structure…either take a MASSIVE dead cap hit in 2024, or live with this primadonna. 

cry more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Your refusal to see a massive issue is not analogous with me over dramatizing.

The head coach himself said he is very concerned. Is he over dramatizing as well?

You think missing a day of OTAs is a massive issue?  How long have you been following football. These practices are meaningless.  If McD is such a good coach and communicator then maybe he should reach out to Diggs and figure out what is going on. Maybe he has and we don't know. But to think this is a massive issue is crazy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jletha said:

I cant possibly understand what in the world Diggs could be protesting. He signed a new deal last year, hes on a top 3 offense with a top 3 QB.

Whats the angle here? He wants to be traded...to where? He wants more money...based on what?

Cut bait and sign Hopkins if this gets any uglier.

All he wants to do is be a fashion model and hang with yuppies, it’s pathetic 

Look it is a mandatory activity so he should be there participating if he’s good to go. It’s part of the job. I get that. But in practical terms, Diggs does not need minicamp. It has absolutely no effect on his potential performance this coming season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I just watched the GMFB discussion of whether the Bills are better or worse than last year.  The conclusion was they're probably about the same, but they need to heal from within after the crushing emotional blows they had last year.  

So Diggs skips out.  One of the team's leaders, and probably the most vocal leader.  This is terrible.  McD is right to be concerned.  What are the other players supposed to think?  That the Bills can just show up and go 12-7 or better and sweep to another AFCE championship?  I sure hope that's not the thought.  There's never a time for complacency.  

• Agree 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

No he doesn’t and I don’t think he wants out - where is he going to go and btw thanks for tanking your trade value - it’s not happening 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I'm on record saying Diggs would be a problem this year. I rec'd a lot of negativity for that. This is just the beginning. 

Imho, Diggs is a super competitive player. He wants to win and doesn't handle losing well. He can likely see McD and Dorsey can't and won't get it done.

He bit his tongue on the sideline with McD. He's probably close to reaching his breaking point. 

This…..I can’t disagree at all fans still have their head in the sand on how damaging 13 seconds was.  

Imo Diggs doesn’t trust the coaches anymore.

How he’s dealing with that in the locker room I have no idea.

• Like (+1) 2

He's pissed but he'll be back when it matters. He's untradeable/uncuttable especially at this point in the offseason and he knows that. Who knows what or who he's upset with. I'd guess he communicated some concerns yesterday to McD and Beane and now McD is exaggerating the situation by saying he's "very concerned" as a way to show Diggs that he cares.

Hope Kincaid, Davis, Shakier, Harty, etc enjoy the extra reps and step up over the next few months. You want your stars on the field but maybe some positives come from it

None of this really makes sense from a football perspective.  

Most holdouts are contract related.  But Stefon Diggs is already one of the highest paid receivers in football, just signed his extension a year ago and even agreed to a restructure in March.  He hasn't made any hints about being unhappy about money.  And nothing in his agent's statement suggested he was looking for a new contract.  So you can probably rule that out.

Some of have suggested his problem is usage related.  But this also makes no sense.  He's caught 100 passes each of the last three seasons with the team and has been the focal point of the passing game for that entire time.  Considering our additions at the WR position that surely isn't going to change in 2023.  Unless the guy expects to catch 150 balls every year, I can't imagine him being upset with this either.

Another idea is that he's not happy with someone on the team, especially after the playoff loss to the Bengals.  Maybe Ken Dorsey.  Maybe Josh Allen.  Maybe Sean McDermott.  Although I think that's a certainly a reasonable possibility -- it really doesn't make sense from Diggs perspective.  How does missing Day 1 of training camp fix the situation?  We can't go back and replay the Bengals game.  We can only move forward and hope to be better when the 2023 season and 2023 playoffs roll around.  

And if Diggs is hoping to demand a trade... it's already been stated numerous times that our cap situation would actually be WORSE to cut/trade him, than if we just let him sit the bench.  It isn't going to happen, no matter how many tantrums he throws.  He must know this.  Not to mention, why wouldn't he have formally requested a trade during the offseason?  Why be cryptic and quiet for months, and then surprise everyone the first day of camp?  And why would he have then shown up in Buffalo yesterday, met with Beane/McDermott and then left again this morning?  Just seems to be an irrational way to go about things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Look it is a mandatory activity so he should be there participating if he’s good to go. It’s part of the job. I get that. But in practical terms, Diggs does not need minicamp. It has absolutely no effect on his potential performance this coming season.

But what's the effect on other players?  Not good.  

28 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Luckily we have the leadership to absorb this.  I like his edge and I thought he should’ve been pissed at the end of the season but starting the season like this is pure immaturity 

Agreed. It is 5 months later. 

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Hahaha…caring about the fans and WNY  are probably not in Diggs top ten list of things on his mind. 

To be fair, if you're considering those as separate items then maybe both don't make his top 10. But as one item: "caring about the fans and WNY" I think there's a very good chance we make his top 10. 

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

He holds no cards.  Hes untradeable and uncuttable.  His cap ramifications are massive.  He is fineable, though. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

They did not. I know they had not spoken at all as of a month ago. This is happening now because it was the first time they had to all be together. 

Not calling you out, I haven't been on a lot like I have in the past. How did you manage to come across what you know (without giving up sources etc)  I'm just trying to catch up and am hoping your info is legit. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You think missing a day of OTAs is a massive issue?  

This issue is not 1 day of OTA’s.

It is

- Screaming at the franchise QB on the sidelines about something

- Taking Bills related stuff off of his social media

- Not showing up to voluntaries

- Not showing up to mandatories

- The HEAD COACH HIMSELF saying that he is very concerned

It is amazing to me that the people who trust McD wholeheartedly are brushing off a clear statement from McD stating that he is very concerned. 

McD rarely says something so harsh. But he did this time. For a reason!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You think missing a day of OTAs is a massive issue?  How long have you been following football. These practices are meaningless.  If McD is such a good coach and communicator then maybe he should reach out to Diggs and figure out what is going on. Maybe he has and we don't know. But to think this is a massive issue is crazy.

It goes 100% against the culture McD had built. For that reason it's a very big deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

So this is your response to Diggs not showing up?

It's my response to you being a child about it. You seem to have some weird agenda with trashing him despite him being a top 5 player at his position and putting together the best receiving seasons in Bills history.

I don't give a ***** about a 3 day minicamp in early June. I just hope the dude is ok. If he misses time in September, I'll be concerned about it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.