Are the Bills done inducting players onto the Wall of Fame at current stadium?

BillsPride12

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe the Pegulas should form a committee that reviews the entire Wall of Fame for the new stadium.  Give them the opportunity to delete some players and add others.  Start fresh.  

Are you kidding me?  Form a committee, to potentially delete players?  Except for the OJ debate (which is really up to them), you don't form a committee to take players off the wall.  It is a lifetime honor, once you are there, you are there for life like any Hall of Fame.  What do the players have to do once the achieve it.....have  wait every year see if the "committee" decides to take them down?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Are you kidding me?  Form a committee, to potentially delete players?  Except for the OJ debate (which is really up to them), you don't form a committee to take players off the wall.  It is a lifetime honor, once you are there, you are there for life like any Hall of Fame.  What do the players have to do once the achieve it.....have  wait every year see if the "committee" decides to take them down?

It was OJ who I was specifically thinking about.  

I think OJ is one of the most talented athletes to ever play the game of football.  But I try to imagine how the families of his victims must feel about him being honored in Buffalo.  We can't limit the Wall of Fame to choir boys.  But there must be some boundary, some bridge too far.  In my opinion, OJ is beyond that limit and should come down.

Btw, I'm not thinking about an annual review to delete players.  I imagine a one-time thing.  The Ralph had its wall of fame; the new stadium has its own.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

I wonder if they will retire Andre's #83. I always thought the core of 4 from the Super Bowl teams were 12,34,78, and 83. Andre should join Jim, Thurman, and Bruce and have his number retired.

What about 11 and 89? Where do you draw the line? 🤔

16 hours ago, chongli said:

Speaking of that, I saw a guy at my gym today wearing a genuine NFL Henry Ruggs III jersey. Why would he do that, especially after having just plead guilty? Like, would you even be allowed in Highmark wearing a Simpson jersey?

Also, for the heck of it, I googled Ruggs and Simpson jerseys, and they are still for sale. Some even for $70-$90. WTF?

I’ve seen OJ Bills and USC jerseys at home and away games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The inventor of the “Richter scale” used to measure WOF worthiness and earthquakes. Thought that the sarcasm came through that Jim Ritcher doesn’t belong on the WOF. 

Seriously, the Jim Richter, "our" Jinn Richter is now an airline Pilot for American airlines.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The inventor of the “Richter scale” used to measure WOF worthiness and earthquakes. Thought that the sarcasm came through that Jim Ritcher doesn’t belong on the WOF. 

Gotcha Kirbs.  So many people say Jim Richter and mean it, even guys on TV who should know better.  Pisses me off when a Bills great gets his name abused like that.  I see you had it in quotes.  Maybe use [sic]......

On 5/14/2023 at 8:34 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Bennett was a MUCH better player than a few guys from that era that made it up there. With that being said, maybe the off the field issues have prevented him from going up?

There are a bunch of others that belong: Moulds, Ruben Brown, Kyle Williams for sure. You could make arguments for a lot of others. I always use the “Jim Richter scale” to determine the worthiness. He was a decent player but not WOF-worthy. This current era has more guys that will go: Allen, McDermott, Diggs, Hyde?, Poyer?, Milano?, Tre?

How could Ruben Brown not be in consideration? 4 time All Pro, 9 time Pro  Bowl selection (when that still meant something). This is Bruce Smith level production/ consistency. It’s egregious if he isn’t put on the WOF, with HOF also worth consideration. 

7 hours ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

How could Ruben Brown not be in consideration? 4 time All Pro, 9 time Pro  Bowl selection (when that still meant something). This is Bruce Smith level production/ consistency. It’s egregious if he isn’t put on the WOF, with HOF also worth consideration. 

Yep, he’s a definite. That holds especially true when you stack his career next to some others that were recognized already.

On 5/14/2023 at 5:50 PM, oldmanfan said:

Can’t believe I forgot that.  Thanks.

No worries, oldmanfan.  I'm an old man and a fan, too, and the list of things I've forgotten is pretty long.  I have it here somewhere but I can't remember where I put it.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:02 PM, Virgil said:

Why not put Kelsay up there too then?

Kelsay was not even 1/2 as good as Schobel. He was our entire pass rush for some time and in addition to being lined up at time unreasonably wide, they would put him in pass coverage.

Schobel was an excellent player, Kelsay was more than a full step slower.

Sorry Brother, jmo.

• Agree 2

Maybe there will be no spots in the inner part of the stadium to put names up? Maybe it will be in a concourse area or something like that. Possibly be known as the Bills Hall of Fame instead of Wall of Fame. 

Edited by Beast

On 5/14/2023 at 11:23 PM, Just Jack said:

They do.  I've seen people in my section wearing a Simpson jersey.  

It is for Ko Simpson don't worry lol

On 5/15/2023 at 12:57 PM, hondo in seattle said:

It was OJ who I was specifically thinking about.  

I think OJ is one of the most talented athletes to ever play the game of football.  But I try to imagine how the families of his victims must feel about him being honored in Buffalo.  We can't limit the Wall of Fame to choir boys.  But there must be some boundary, some bridge too far.  In my opinion, OJ is beyond that limit and should come down.

Btw, I'm not thinking about an annual review to delete players.  I imagine a one-time thing.  The Ralph had its wall of fame; the new stadium has its own.  

It is why they need a legit Bills Hall of fame with the stadium. You can have OJs accomplishments with the electric company while not having him on the WOF.

On 5/14/2023 at 8:53 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

I can't believe Dalton Kincaid hasn't been put up there yet. Total snub job. Ralph is cheap. 

Ralph used to be transported in a fully-loaded Ford Taurus... I'm pretty sure that's a much more expensive car than anything you've owned.

🙂

On 5/14/2023 at 2:29 PM, oldmanfan said:

He belongs but he quit on Ralph twice.  So it’s never going to happen.

Saban and Cookie both went up after Ralph passed... two injustices finally corrected. Thankfully it no longer matters how Ralph felt about a Buffalo Bill.

On a related note did Ralph have issues with Butch Byrd? Byrd is by far the most-deserving Bill that hasn't been honored on the Wall.

On 5/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, MJS said:

The ones I'd like to see, in order:

1) Butch Byrd (5x AFL all star, 3x first team all AFL, 2x second team all AFL, AFL all time second team, franchise record in INT's with 40, Int return yards with 666, and int returns for TD's with 5).

2) Eric Moulds (3x pro bowler, 2x second team all pro, first Bills receiver to amass 100 receptions in a season, 2nd all time Bills receiver for yards, TD's, and receptions).

3) Kyle Williams (6x pro bowler, 1x second team all pro, franchise record in career TFL's with 103 and QB hits at 141, although these stats were not tracked in the days of Bruce Smith and other Bills greats of the past).

Good list.

On 5/14/2023 at 8:22 PM, StHustle said:

Fred Jackson

One of the most popular Bills ever...

On 5/15/2023 at 6:14 AM, BUFFALOBART said:

He was never charged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YITZV4Ud6pw

Does that mean that law enforcement was underofficious?

On 5/15/2023 at 7:44 AM, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe the Pegulas should form a committee that reviews the entire Wall of Fame for the new stadium.  Give them the opportunity to delete some players and add others.  Start fresh.  

There already is a Wall of Fame committee.

"Selections are made by a distinguished panel composed of club personnel and media members."

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/alumni/wall-of-fame

On 5/15/2023 at 7:58 AM, SUNY_amherst said:

I sure hope they are done. They put everyone up there now.  Lets have some standards 

Wrong... Butch Byrd. Easily deserving.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:41 PM, RenoNVBillsfan said:

To the bolded, many would argue that Ruben Brown was a pioneer in the opposite regard.

On 5/18/2023 at 6:45 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Kelsay was not even 1/2 as good as Schobel. He was our entire pass rush for some time and in addition to being lined up at time unreasonably wide, they would put him in pass coverage.

Schobel was an excellent player, Kelsay was more than a full step slower.

Sorry Brother, jmo.

Schobel: 133 games, 78 sacks, 21 forced fumbles.

Kelsay: 147 games, 32.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles

On 5/18/2023 at 10:17 AM, Beast said:

Maybe there will be no spots in the inner part of the stadium to put names up? Maybe it will be in a concourse area or something like that. Possibly be known as the Bills Hall of Fame instead of Wall of Fame. 

Television makes the world go 'round... I can't imagine the WOF not being in the stadium bowl where broadcast directors can pan across the names allowing announcers to comment on the "great players" and "rich history" of the team..

We'll see.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

On 5/14/2023 at 11:42 AM, Just Jack said:

And the quitter. 

Who's that? Must be b4 my time

Kyle Orton! Lolllllll

On 5/14/2023 at 10:16 PM, MJS said:

The ones I'd like to see, in order:

1) Butch Byrd (5x AFL all star, 3x first team all AFL, 2x second team all AFL, AFL all time second team, franchise record in INT's with 40, Int return yards with 666, and int returns for TD's with 5).

2) Eric Moulds (3x pro bowler, 2x second team all pro, first Bills receiver to amass 100 receptions in a season, 2nd all time Bills receiver for yards, TD's, and receptions).

3) Kyle Williams (6x pro bowler, 1x second team all pro, franchise record in career TFL's with 103 and QB hits at 141, although these stats were not tracked in the days of Bruce Smith and other Bills greats of the past).

Moulds was better than I realized. Adored him as a kid, but sonewhere along the way I kinda bundled him up with the other "they were good here, but unknowns outside buffalo". 

On 5/21/2023 at 2:02 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

Ralph used to be transported in a fully-loaded Ford Taurus... I'm pretty sure that's a much more expensive car than anything you've owned.

🙂

Saban and Cookie both went up after Ralph passed... two injustices finally corrected. Thankfully it no longer matters how Ralph felt about a Buffalo Bill.

On a related note did Ralph have issues with Butch Byrd? Byrd is by far the most-deserving Bill that hasn't been honored on the Wall.

Good list.

One of the most popular Bills ever...

Does that mean that law enforcement was underofficious?

There already is a Wall of Fame committee.

"Selections are made by a distinguished panel composed of club personnel and media members."

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/alumni/wall-of-fame

Wrong... Butch Byrd. Easily deserving.

To the bolded, many would argue that Ruben Brown was a pioneer in the opposite regard.

what does that mean? Is there history about R Brown that I am unaware of? Please enlighten. 

On 5/21/2023 at 2:02 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

Schobel: 133 games, 78 sacks, 21 forced fumbles.

Kelsay: 147 games, 32.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles

Television makes the world go 'round... I can't imagine the WOF not being in the stadium bowl where broadcast directors can pan across the names allowing announcers to comment on the "great players" and "rich history" of the team..

We'll see.

5 hours ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

what does that mean? Is there history about R Brown that I am unaware of? Please enlighten. 

It was a fairly common opinion around here that Ruben Brown wasn't as great a player as you would expect someone with 9 Pro Bowls (and 4 2nd Team All Pros) would be.

Proof of that is that he is never mentioned as a candidate for the Hall of Fame.

The announcement of Ruben to the Pro Bowl squad was often met with bemusement and the implication that Pro Bowl voting is a popularity contest. This was 20 years ago and seems like a time where the Pro Bowl wasn't as big of a joke as it is today... but Ruben was maybe a precursor of what the Pro Bowl has become.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Kyle has to be going up at some point...#95 hasn't been issued since he retired.

One of my favorite Bills players. The guy bleeds Bills blue, and he was also proud of WNY in general. I wish he could still play. He is someone who deserved to enjoy some winning seasons and playoff games.

On 5/19/2023 at 10:29 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I wish we had a young Schobel with Miller on the other side. 

Schobel was a good player on a terrible team for a decade.  Arguably his most memorable play came in a famous, hilarious, Shakespearean level loss (Week 1 MNF @ NE 2009).

If off-field is taken into account on WOF, he doesn't deserve it at all.  Maybe did 1 interview in 10 seasons.  No charity, community building work. 

Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Kyle Williams, the list goes on.  Lots of Drought Era guys did a LOT in the community, and are still active alumni members (leading the charge, social media, etc).  

Schobel sucks.  His legacy means nothing to the Bills.  What did he do? I'm genuinely asking.  14 sacks in the 2006 season?  Awesome, he sacked Tom Brady in all those memorable 30 point losses.

Was never accountable to the media.  Nor the fans.  Name me 1 interesting story about him as a Bill.  An anecdote.  ANYTHING.  His career is "drafted, played, retired".  Like, in the NFL.  In the modern media age.   

Sure, the boomers on here will be like "he did his job, retired, that's what I want to do".  Cool man.  That works in a job where you're not beholden to media and community interests. There's at least a half-dozen drought era players that DESERVE recognition way ahead of him, despite his on field "accomplishments". 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Based on his post retirement activities he probably does not care about Wall of Fame and might not show up if selected.

He certainly is not pushing for it.

Who are you referring to?  Bennett has stated he wants to be on the Wall 

On 5/29/2023 at 4:54 PM, RenoNVBillsfan said:

Despite attempts at revisionist history over the past 20 years, it is true that Ruben Brown quit on the Bills before the end of the 2003 season. :thumbdown:

10 hours ago, Peevo said:

Schobel was a good player on a terrible team for a decade.  Arguably his most memorable play came in a famous, hilarious, Shakespearean level loss (Week 1 MNF @ NE 2009).

If off-field is taken into account on WOF, he doesn't deserve it at all.  Maybe did 1 interview in 10 seasons.  No charity, community building work. 

Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Kyle Williams, the list goes on.  Lots of Drought Era guys did a LOT in the community, and are still active alumni members (leading the charge, social media, etc).  

Schobel sucks.  His legacy means nothing to the Bills.  What did he do? I'm genuinely asking.  14 sacks in the 2006 season?  Awesome, he sacked Tom Brady in all those memorable 30 point losses.

Was never accountable to the media.  Nor the fans.  Name me 1 interesting story about him as a Bill.  An anecdote.  ANYTHING.  His career is "drafted, played, retired".  Like, in the NFL.  In the modern media age.   

Sure, the boomers on here will be like "he did his job, retired, that's what I want to do".  Cool man.  That works in a job where you're not beholden to media and community interests. There's at least a half-dozen drought era players that DESERVE recognition way ahead of him, despite his on field "accomplishments". 

Aaron schobel was 10x the player of Kelsey … led afc in sacks twice 

monster motor 

this team would kill for a schobel opposite von… he was a terror

in your argument Kyle Williams was a good player in terrible teams lol … doesn’t mean he wasn’t a beast 

Edited by Buffalo716

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Based on his post retirement activities he probably does not care about Wall of Fame and might not show up if selected.

He certainly is not pushing for it.

Maybe we should start small and see if Schobel will “lead the charge” at a home game first? (I would be shocked if he did.)

On 5/15/2023 at 3:52 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Seriously, the Jim Richter, "our" Jinn Richter is now an airline Pilot for American airlines.

He has a cocktail named after him

“Gin Ricky” 

😂

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Aaron schobel was 10x the player of Kelsey … led afc in sacks twice 

monster motor 

this team would kill for a schobel opposite von… he was a terror

in your argument Kyle Williams was a good player in terrible teams lol … doesn’t mean he wasn’t a beast 

It's more so the calculus that goes into deciding a WOF honor.  I know, OJ remains up there.  That's such a dark case I don't know if it's fair to even count.

But with Aaron Schobel, I do genuinely wonder if the Bills induct him into the WOF, or retired his number even, would he show up to the ceremony?

On 5/21/2023 at 5:02 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

Then again... that's prime advertising space.

Maybe they could hang banners from the rafters of the roof that supposedly covers 65% of the stands.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.