Prayer service planned for Kim Pegula

BillsFan619

13 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

Might want too consider Orthodox

Know a couple who have later in life as well

I like Eastern rite Catholic. Orthodoxy retains elements of the Greek patristic heritage that are recessed in the Latin tradition.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2023 at 4:45 PM, Momma Pecoraro said:

I know a Lutheran who converted to Catholicism last year at 59.

That’s all I got.

As a practicing Catholic my whole life Lutheran is close there isn’t much difference but there are some differences. I believe Lutheran was named for Martin Luther that left the Catholic Church that is all I got. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:42 AM, SoMAn said:

I don’t understand the need for communal prayer as opposed to anyone who wants to independently pray in solitude.
Does a group prayer somehow boost the signal to the creator to ensure it doesn’t end up in the ‘missed messages’ bin?  

I got the impression from Jessica Pegula’s public message that Kim is still recovering, but we probably shouldn’t expect her to ever be 100% back to where she was prior to her cardiac and stroke episodes. I think it’s likely she’ll always have speech and mobility issues. She’s lucky to have survived. God bless her. 

Admitting you don't understand something is the first step towards making the effort to understand.  Good luck on your journey. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Admitting you don't understand something is the first step towards making the effort to understand.  Good luck on your journey. 

It's the LAMPing of prayer. Sort of like tweeting "thoughts and prayers" when something bad happens.

19 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

As a practicing Catholic my whole life Lutheran is close there isn’t much difference but there are some differences. I believe Lutheran was named for Martin Luther that left the Catholic Church that is all I got. 

Are you allowed to talk to God directly or do you need to go through a middle man is one. Do you believe the Pope is infallible and incapable of being wrong or sinning is another.

Believe whatever you want, just understand whatever it is you choose to believe. Some religions have a more difficult road to hoe than others in that regard.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's the LAMPing of prayer. Sort of like tweeting "thoughts and prayers" when something bad happens.

Are you allowed to talk to God directly or do you need to go through a middle man is one. Do you believe the Pope is infallible and incapable of being wrong or sinning is another.

Believe whatever you want, just understand whatever it is you choose to believe. Some religions have a more difficult road to hoe than others in that regard.

Your post reveals absolute total ignorance of Catholic theology. 

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Funny. I went to Catholic high school.

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Flip through the pages of history and you'll understand that being Catholic is nothing to be proud of. You do you though. I seriously don't care. Pick your own imaginary friends.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Funny. I went to Catholic high school.

Flip through the pages of history and you'll understand that being Catholic is nothing to be proud of. You do you though. I seriously don't care. Pick your own imaginary friends.

Going to Catholic high school doesn't mean you have a correct grasp of Catholic theology. If you dislike the Church, that's your business, but simply as a matter of fact, you appear to think that papal infallibility involves a sinless life and perfect knowledge both of which are manifestly incorrect. Papal infallibility involves very narrowly circumscribed conditions in which the pope speaks authoritatively for the lived wisdom tradition of the Church on matters of faith and doctrine. It is not a dictatorship of one and it does not mean the pope is ethically pure, a saint, or unable to make erroneous statements.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Going to Catholic high school doesn't mean you have a correct grasp of Catholic theology. If you dislike the Church, that's your business, but simply as a matter of fact, you appear to think that papal infallibility involves a sinless life and perfect knowledge both of which are manifestly incorrect. Papal infallibility involves very narrowly circumscribed conditions in which the pope speaks authoritatively for the lived wisdom tradition of the Church on matters of faith and doctrine. It is not a dictatorship of one and it does not mean the pope is ethically pure, a saint, or unable to make erroneous statements.

Noted. Enjoy yourselves with the amended definition of infallibility that they have crafted around themselves. Catholicism repudiated the Papal Bull of 1452 like last week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

How many Popes are there at once?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many Popes are there at once?

Well, as you probably know historically there have been times when there were rival claimants, not to mention the novelty of an emeritus pope, but the operative word in the phrase you bolded is dictatorship. You might have looked to the prior sentence for an explanation where I assert that "the pope speaks authoritatively for the lived wisdom tradition of the Church" which indicates an ecclesial witness that is broader than an individual deciding which is how modern people tend to conceptualize it. It doesn't really matter if non-Catholics find that ridiculous. I am attempting to clarify the grounding of papal infallibility within Catholic theology -- and of course, as That's No Moon indicates, one can always dismiss all this as an innovation that obscures a different history.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

There you go again. I mean, you see what you are doing, right? 

let the guy talk--see below.  Feel free to participate. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, as you probably know historically there have been times when there were rival claimants, not to mention the novelty of an emeritus pope, but the operative word in the phrase you bolded is dictatorship. You might have looked to the prior sentence for an explanation where I assert that "the pope speaks authoritatively for the lived wisdom tradition of the Church" which indicates an ecclesial witness that is broader than an individual deciding which is how modern people tend to conceptualize it. It doesn't really matter if non-Catholics find that ridiculous. I am attempting to clarify the grounding of papal infallibility within Catholic theology -- and of course, as That's No Moon indicates, one can always dismiss all this as an innovation that obscures a different history.

My point is that there is not another infallible person in the Catholic church--he has no rivals.  "dictator" isn't by definition malevolent, it is just one who rules with absolute power and authority.  By definition, the Pope's infallibility in all things regarding the Church, it's theology and practice, grants him absolute power and authority over the Church.  

On 4/19/2023 at 5:39 PM, Dr. Who said:

I like Eastern rite Catholic. Orthodoxy retains elements of the Greek patristic heritage that are recessed in the Latin tradition.

Plus Easter candy can usually be obtained at a discount.

Ralph Wilson might have approved of this post. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

what is/was the update on her health and recovery ?

The prayer service isn’t until Apr. 29th. I don’t know if we will get another update then or not.

The letter by Jessica Pegula was the last real update that I am aware of.

Here’s a link in case you haven’t read it:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/jessica-pegula-tennis

17 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Noted. Enjoy yourselves with the amended definition of infallibility that they have crafted around themselves. Catholicism repudiated the Papal Bull of 1452 like last week.

Much appreciated. There’s a difference between knowing catholicism and knowing the history of catholicism. 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:51 PM, Chaos said:

If you have an answer as to how participation in group prayer is more useful or meaningful than praying independently, I’d appreciate your wisdom. I’m not trying to be a wise guy. I’d seriously like to understand the rationale. 

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

If you have an answer as to how participation in group prayer is more useful or meaningful than praying independently, I’d appreciate your wisdom. I’m not trying to be a wise guy. I’d seriously like to understand the rationale. 

It's how you sell religion is the way I have seen it under normal circumstances, but this isn't a normal circumstance... this is a legitimate "everyone come and pray" kind of event.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:21 AM, Mr. WEO said:

let the guy talk--see below.  Feel free to participate. 

My point is that there is not another infallible person in the Catholic church--he has no rivals.  "dictator" isn't by definition malevolent, it is just one who rules with absolute power and authority.  By definition, the Pope's infallibility in all things regarding the Church, it's theology and practice, grants him absolute power and authority over the Church.  

The Great Schism still lives because of it... very sad to be sure. It's all about power...

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

I'm curious of his rationale as well. If he's going to quote Matthew 18:20, he's the one who doesn't understand.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

5 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

And here I thought I was going to read a thread on Kim pegula 

it went south when those who felt the need to bring their religion/beliefs in to the convo. another one of those deals that divide people. spiritual, cool. religion/denomination, nah.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

it went south when those who felt the need to bring their religion/beliefs in to the convo. another one of those deals that divide people. spiritual, cool. religion/denomination, nah.

'Bride the First' had a strong Christian faith that helped in her living with the effects of TBI in 1974, and living with cancer for the last 15 years of her life. As a remembrance of her, I have always left a fundamentalist Christian radio station she listened to on the car's radio, even though I am long past the last car we shared.  Sometimes I will pause on the station when flipping through the selection, and it's often interesting to catch one of those 'ask the pastor' type programs.  One time I listened to callers becoming riled up over whether it's proper to raise their hands to receive the Holy Spirit, or improper.  It made me think of Emo Phillips joke about religious denominations...Google it.  Whatever humans can interject themselves into always complicates the matter.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:42 AM, SoMAn said:

I don’t understand the need for communal prayer as opposed to anyone who wants to independently pray in solitude.
Does a group prayer somehow boost the signal to the creator to ensure it doesn’t end up in the ‘missed messages’ bin?  

I got the impression from Jessica Pegula’s public message that Kim is still recovering, but we probably shouldn’t expect her to ever be 100% back to where she was prior to her cardiac and stroke episodes. I think it’s likely she’ll always have speech and mobility issues. She’s lucky to have survived. God bless her. 

I am probably not the best person to answer but I think a lot of it just has to do with people believing in the power of prayer. That alone can make group prayer helpful IMO. It can be comforting and uplifting (mentally) to that person and their family knowing others are praying for you, especially if you believe in the power of prayer.

I know I’ve asked people for prayers before a family member was going in for major surgery or if they were going through a traumatic health event.

Before my mom had open heart surgery I remember she asked her neighbor (who is very religious and attends church every Sunday) to pray for her and her neighbor had the whole church do a prayer service for her. My mom didn’t attend but just knowing they did it brought her a lot of comfort before she went in for surgery. She was scared to death and I think it gave her that little extra boost she needed to get through the whole pre-surgery process (all the tests and just the waiting. It’s scary!).

I could be wrong but I think it’s more of a “human nature” thing, the same way some people are comforted by going to support groups. 

• Like (+1) 6

7 hours ago, SoMAn said:

For me, it’s not unlike watching a Bills game with 60,000 other people. It’s a shared experience that is different than watching the game alone. Both are fun and enjoyable. I’ve found the same thing with meditation.  Meditating alone is wonderful.  Meditating with a group of people has a palpable power that is wonderful. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'Bride the First' had a strong Christian faith that helped in her living with the effects of TBI in 1974, and living with cancer for the last 15 years of her life. As a remembrance of her, I have always left a fundamentalist Christian radio station she listened to on the car's radio, even though I am long past the last car we shared.  Sometimes I will pause on the station when flipping through the selection, and it's often interesting to catch one of those 'ask the pastor' type programs.  One time I listened to callers becoming riled up over whether it's proper to raise their hands to receive the Holy Spirit, or improper.  It made me think of Emo Phillips joke about religious denominations...Google it.  Whatever humans can interject themselves into always complicates the matter.

Untitled.jpg

15 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Untitled.jpg

The message is in his words, not your posting of his picture.

Emo's take on organized religion:

He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you, you silly ninny."
He said, "How do you know there's a God?"
I said, "Of course there's a God. Do you think that billions of years ago a bunch of molecules floating around at random could someday have had the sense of humor to make you look like that?"
He said, "I do believe in God."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me too. Protestant or Catholic?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! What franchise?"
He says, "Baptist."
I said, "Me too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
He says, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
He says, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I say, "Me too! Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist or Northern Conservative Reform Baptist?"
He says, "Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist."
I say, "Me too! Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region or Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Eastern Region?"
He says, "Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I say, "Me too! Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 or Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
He says, "Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over!

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

that post of his mug was showing I watched the vid you recommend to google and watch. I never really found him to be very funny. his words/message is not relative to my beliefs. I wont disrespect anyone for their beliefs. I am more spiritual like that of the native americans. man made religion doesn't work for me.

23 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

In the first two pages I saw six shots taken at the church holding the event.  You seem to be implying that somewhere in the thread that people were either advocating for that specific church or another one.  I didn’t see that by the middle of page three so gave up looking.  Where did it start?  Why did you not consider people taking preemptive shots at a  church as “going south” but people defending or advocating for a church is “going south”?

48 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Emo's take on organized religion:

He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you, you silly ninny."
He said, "How do you know there's a God?"
I said, "Of course there's a God. Do you think that billions of years ago a bunch of molecules floating around at random could someday have had the sense of humor to make you look like that?"
He said, "I do believe in God."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me too. Protestant or Catholic?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! What franchise?"
He says, "Baptist."
I said, "Me too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
He says, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
He says, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I say, "Me too! Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist or Northern Conservative Reform Baptist?"
He says, "Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist."
I say, "Me too! Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region or Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Eastern Region?"
He says, "Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I say, "Me too! Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 or Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
He says, "Northern Conservative Fundamentalist Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over!

"Christ was preaching peace and love and humanity. Then for 2,000 years we've had people torturing and killing each other because they don't agree about exactly how he said it." - Terry Jones (from Monty Python)

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, muppy said:

the service occurred yesterday

This has been an interesting thread to follow, with a variety of people weighing in with different opinions. 

When all was said and done, seems like the Pegula family was appreciative of the prayers for Kim, and her father attended the prayer vigil and shared his thoughts in the clip you posted.  I would think most can agree it was a net positive for the Pegula family. 

I think some lessons can be drawn from this.  When you get right down to it, people should mind their business about the way other people choose to express love, support, positive thoughts and yes, prayer for other members of the community.   I think that goes to both sides of the discussion, be it preaching to others about beliefs, or preaching to others about how silly their beliefs might be. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

This has been an interesting thread to follow, with a variety of people weighing in with different opinions. 

When all was said and done, seems like the Pegula family was appreciative of the prayers for Kim, and her father attended the prayer vigil and shared his thoughts in the clip you posted.  I would think most can agree it was a net positive for the Pegula family. 

I think some lessons can be drawn from this.  When you get right down to it, people should mind their business about the way other people choose to express love, support, positive thoughts and yes, prayer for other members of the community.   I think that goes to both sides of the discussion, be it preaching to others about beliefs, or preaching to others about how silly their beliefs might be. 

leo mi amigo fantastico  always great to read YOU hermano. 

the thing for me is if I read of a specific prayer request, or a situation where folks are asking for prayers and positive thoughts MY modus operandi is to NOT Wait. Do It in that moment in time. Or you will likely forget as life passes us  by

Love in action. I think of it that way. 🙂

m

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

From the Buffalo News quoting Terry

““Kim and our family have entered a new season in our lives,” Terry Pegula said in the video shown to a crowd of 300-plus at Eastern Hills Wesleyan Church. Another 300-350 people joined a livestream of the event, which was co-organized by Kim’s alma mater, Houghton University. “The beginning of this season has been difficult,” Terry Pegula continued. “But we ask, with God’s help, that Kim’s recovery continues. We also ask, with God’s help, that Kim has a full recovery. We ask humbly, but we pray boldly.”’

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.