Here come the restructures

78thealltimegreat

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

I was actually hoping we’d reset a bit last year so that we could keep Edmunds and Poyer this offseason to not create any additional holes as we try and fill voids at OL and WR depth while also trying to get some replacements in house to take over for aging vets.

We disagree here a bit, but that is cool. The window was still open last year, especially after the playoff performances the year before. I was ok going for it again, but did not like how Buffalo tried to do it. I thought Crowder and Settle were going to be sneaky good signings, ended up not being so good.

Instead of over the hill Von Miller that broke the bank, Buffalo could have had Hassan Reddick and James Bradberry for the next 2-3 seasons.

When I see players hitting 31-32-33 etc it's time to have a succession plan in place. Last year's draft was loaded with top end S help. We drafted none, despite having two 30+ year old starters. Dumb. I knew Poyer and Hyde had 1 and 2 years left. Age, salary and cap implications.

Instead of 5 avg OL, what about picking one good one up? Why does OBD keep signing Boettger before he can even hit FA? They are bidding against themselves for a replacement level player at best, who has two Achilles injuries now. Dumb.

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

The concern is a guy getting top dollar (top 5 at DE) who’s coming into the tail end of his career. He was bought for closing. Would you rather Von be closing an opponents entire season than a regular game? So far out of the 2/3 (yes the deal is 6) years we will have him before likely parting ways, it will have been, depending on your perspective half or a third of them when it actually matters… At this point I’d rather him ride the pine until the snaps absolutely matter and/or playoff time. 

Sure I’d like him to play a full season. Last year he got injured. Guys get injured. He won’t see the full 6 years of the contract. I’m glad we signed him. In two years we can discuss if it was a good signing. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

White could bounce back and play at a pro-bowl level .. he could also look more like last years version. 

Id wait before I do anything with his contract.  

We could very well have a dominant secondary if White bounces back, Elam gets his footing, Hyde returns to form and we have adequate play at the other Safety spot.  Taron is always very good in the nickel spot.  

White & Hyde could also be irreversibly diminished.  

Doing anything with White’s contract, to me, is way too risky. 

Just trade Oliver and extend Daquan Jones.  That’s a much safer, and far more effective way to free up similar cap space. 

this is all true, i was just replying to another quote about the same players.

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

it Von stayed healthy and Daquan Jones also was healthy for Bengals games.....Bills may have won.

At the very least we wouldn't have seen Eli Ankou getting blown away so regularly.  But there's also this little matter of putting up a 10 spot or whatever our paltry number was on the other side of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Trading requires a trade partner and you can't assume there's a match for every player you want to dump. This year's draft is crucial and I expect a trade down or two. How about Oliver to Houston for both of their 3rd rounders? He might want to to go home and the Texans could use help on their DLine.

What would be "unexpected" about those 4?

I wonder about tax conseuences?

To your reply asking what would be unexpected about those 4? in bolded? Dawkins, White, Digs and Milano? White we do not know what we have yet post injury. So we need to see more of him to know if so and how much you bring down tre's contract or restructure. Milano is going to be our LB moving forward and I don't think they touch his contract with a 10 foot pole. Dawkins contract really can not be restructured to much more and you have to be careful of how much of our future you give up for the now

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone seems to think Miller is done or close to it - here, and opposing fans also.

Not buying it. The guy is one of the best defenders of the past 2 decades.  He was not only playing great for us when he was healthy - he was elevating the play of Oliver, Groot, Epenesa and Lawson, among others.  There isn't really a good way to compare the defense when he was healthy, and after he got injured.

Green Bay signed Reggie White at the same age many years ago, and he played great for them for years, and helped them win a SB.  I love the Von Miller signing and always will.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tyreek is in Miami because they got a haul + space. If they wanted to keep him, they could have.

I agree......it's mostly accounting.   One advantage the Bills currently have is that there is one ownership entity.......Kim and Terry.    For the Chiefs, "they" is the important part.   Decisions about putting many millions of dollars in escrow to push salary cap debt down the line are split up among all of the heirs of Lamar Hunt.   The guy who most people think owns the team,  Clark Hunt, only holds about 1/8 of the Hunt family wealth.    

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Kriby my guy, you are one of my favorite posters here. But I think there is some major middle ground between your “the cap doesn’t matter” and people who think the NFL is a hard cap.

I actually think NO is a prime example of the cap mattering. They had a first ballot HoF coach and QB combo, pushed the limits of what was possible with the salary cap. And at the end of the day they were over .500 almost as much as they were at/under it. And they continued to pay that bill through losing seasons to try and right their cap situation.

I understand the “one before I die”, but long term I have zero interest in being the New Orleans Saints. Woof. 

I was actually hoping we’d reset a bit last year so that we could keep Edmunds and Poyer this offseason to not create any additional holes as we try and fill voids at OL and WR depth while also trying to get some replacements in house to take over for aging vets.

Instead we gave a massive contract to another aging vet for defense 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

^ this fan gets it.

Buffalo spent most of Allen's 5 year window avoiding the big splash FA. That was the time to do it. The Miller signing was about 2 seasons too late. Chandler Jones, Mack and Miller all moved in the season or two prior to last one, and no real noise from TBD to do it.

The FO preferred bringing in a bunch of also rans and hope to strike lightning rather than get a star or two each off-season, with the exception of Diggs. Even then Diggs was a very good WR, but not a star. The OL is a prefect example of this failed strategy.

The best thing this team could do now is clean some house, get younger, draft better and find one solid starter each FA period. Not a star, can't afford it, and not a bunch of Harts and Quessenberrys you hope will luck into starters. Stop using void years for over the hill former stars like Emmanual Sanders.

They’ve poured resources into the defense.

You’re right into noting the age of these offensive players they bring in Beasley (30), John Brown (30), Sanders (34), Crowder (29) when you bring them in. 

The Bills have to recognize the faulty

logic that they are the same as the Chiefs.

They're not.

Mahomes is better than Allen.

Reid is better than McDermott.

Because there is a gap, the Bills have to get more elite talent around Allen to

compensate.

This entire build has stalled because Beane stopped after getting Diggs in 2020 and this offense has plateaued.

All those WRs that moved, Hopkins available right now. Let’s see if Beane can recognize the holes and not let McDermott pour everything into defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They’ve poured resources into the defense.

You’re right into noting the age of these offensive players they bring in Beasley (30), John Brown (30), Sanders (34), Crowder (29) when you bring them in. 

The Bills have to recognize the faulty

logic that they are the same as the Chiefs.

They're not.

Mahomes is better than Allen.

Reid is better than McDermott.

Because there is a gap, the Bills have to get more elite talent around Allen to

compensate.

This entire build has stalled because Beane stopped after getting Diggs in 2020 and this offense has plateaued.

All those WRs that moved, Hopkins available right now. Let’s see if Beane can recognize the holes and not let McDermott pour everything into defense. 

I think you’re partially right. But Beane has also tried to enter the draft with little to no glaring holes in order to let his draft come to him. 

But when you do that for years you fill your roster with vets that cost more money. It’s all well and good. But when you can’t afford to re-sign your own you run into problems.

Sprinkle on top AJE, Basham, Rousseau, the cost of Miller, plus Cook, Singletary, Moss, Hines, and you have the 2023 Buffalo Bills. 

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think you’re partially right. But Beane has also tried to enter the draft with little to no glaring holes in order to let his draft come to him. 

But when you do that for years you fill your roster with vets that cost more money. It’s all well and good. But when you can’t afford to re-sign your own you run into problems.

Sprinkle on top AJE, Basham, Rousseau, the cost of Miller, plus Cook, Singletary, Moss, Hines, and you have the 2023 Buffalo Bills. 

Is the root of your statement above that the team just doesn’t draft well enough to not require supplements through free agency?

To get younger you have to hit on draft picks that can get to elite levels.

It’s tough because we’ve seen Allen makes this team good, so that means you’re now drafting in the 20’s not around 10 anymore. 

It will be interesting to see if Beane tries to accelerate the build (do you wait for Davis to get better, waiting for Spencer Brown to develop, waiting on Epenesa, Basham, Rousseau to make an impact) and so on? 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Kriby my guy, you are one of my favorite posters here. But I think there is some major middle ground between your “the cap doesn’t matter” and people who think the NFL is a hard cap.

I actually think NO is a prime example of the cap mattering. They had a first ballot HoF coach and QB combo, pushed the limits of what was possible with the salary cap. And at the end of the day they were over .500 almost as much as they were at/under it. And they continued to pay that bill through losing seasons to try and right their cap situation.

I understand the “one before I die”, but long term I have zero interest in being the New Orleans Saints. Woof. 

you have to understand though that the saints worst hits were self inflicted. You give those massive signing bonuses and cut/trade a guy inside a year - that’s different than just manipulating the money. 

jimmy graham, and Junior galette come to mind. Imagine if we cut Miller today- that’s a different issue than restructuring Josh to play with money. 

then roll in bounty gate - loss of picks, a year of drama etc… 

and that they were on the cusp a few times- the rams pass interference, the diggs touchdown both were very possibly Super Bowl trips lost. 

ill take the ring, and what should’ve been at least one more trip 

18 hours ago, Mango said:

Just to clarify, I’m not suggesting to be like NO. My point was just, you can pretty much always make it work, if you want to. The Packers could have kept Adams, the Chiefs Tyreek, etc… The Bills are in position, if they desired, that they COULD keep Edmunds, Poyer and Motor. It doesn’t seem like a great allocation of resources but they aren’t FORCED to let them go. They need to allocate resources differently because this hasn’t “worked.”

The cap can be managed however you want it to be assuming the owner will write the big checks. Ross is doing it now. Benson has done it for a decade+. The Pegula’s have been willing. This is where ownership matters. Mike Brown is notoriously cheap and he’s about to start running into these situations. It’ll be interesting to see how he handles it. That was my entire point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 3/10/2023 at 5:11 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Beane never goes into the Draft with a glaring hole in the roster.  He will work free agency like he does every year to fill the holes in the roster and walk into the Draft able to go in any direction.  That's his MO.

I guess it depends on what you call glaring. 

WR, OG, RT, MLB, SS, and RB all need upgrades to the starters.   CB, OL, TE, WR and DL all need better depth. 

Edited by Bob in STL

18 hours ago, Success said:

Everyone seems to think Miller is done or close to it - here, and opposing fans also.

Not buying it. The guy is one of the best defenders of the past 2 decades.  He was not only playing great for us when he was healthy - he was elevating the play of Oliver, Groot, Epenesa and Lawson, among others.  There isn't really a good way to compare the defense when he was healthy, and after he got injured.

Green Bay signed Reggie White at the same age many years ago, and he played great for them for years, and helped them win a SB.  I love the Von Miller signing and always will.

dude will work his ass off and drown that knee in peptides (tb500/bpc157), possibly work some growth in there, and be fiiiiiiiine

• Like (+1) 1

Problem with all of this is going to end up being that the Bills will sign old middle of the road players with the space provided. They will also more than likely nit hit all home runs with draft pics AND if the pics are on offense, are we to have much faith that they'll even play?  Idk. Not feeling very confident this coming up season. Although the Miller signing was exciting, it's really put the Bills in a bind. Roster wise and financially. 

• Eyeroll 2

14 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Problem with all of this is going to end up being that the Bills will sign old middle of the road players with the space provided. They will also more than likely nit hit all home runs with draft pics AND if the pics are on offense, are we to have much faith that they'll even play?  Idk. Not feeling very confident this coming up season. Although the Miller signing was exciting, it's really put the Bills in a bind. Roster wise and financially. 

Think I’m going to wait and see what BB does before any assumptions are made. Let’s see how it plays out 🤷🏻‍♂️.. I think Miller still makes sense. Better players make your team better.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Think I’m going to wait and see what BB does before any assumptions are made. Let’s see how it plays out 🤷🏻‍♂️.. I think Miller still makes sense. Better players make your team better.

We will see. I'm sure your are more correct than I am with my take. My lows are real low haha

2 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

We will see. I'm sure your are more correct than I am with my take. My lows are real low haha

Hey I totally respect your opinion. I’m hoping they restructure more contracts. It’s pretty complex stuff. I’ve got my thoughts but certainly doesn’t mean I’m right. If we don’t do much then your spot on.

15 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Hey I totally respect your opinion. I’m hoping they restructure more contracts. It’s pretty complex stuff. I’ve got my thoughts but certainly doesn’t mean I’m right. If we don’t do much then your spot on.

Thanks man. Yeah I like to respect everyone's opinions as well. I also know I get a little knee jerky haha. Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I think this maybe the worst take I’ve ever seen but hey we all have opinions 

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Not even close man. my opinion is at least based on optics. Tell me their drafting has been great and tell

me they don't typically sign middle of the road journeymen.  I maybe a little

hot takeish here but I'm not too far off. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown

16 minutes ago, MWK said:

McDermott doesn’t like playing rookies. He might have to this year though.

Even more so.. let them play through mistakes.   McDuffie was getting torched (and making plays) in the playoffs.. it happens.  

Can’t have paid vets everywhere. 

Edited by SCBills

38 minutes ago, Buddo said:

With the extension for Milano, that saves them $6 million this year, I wonder if they are thinking about trying not to restructure as many of the contracts that they could.

They just did Settle saving them $600K...seems it's similar to some others on the last year of their deals recently that were in danger of getting cut...lowered the dollar amount, but guaranteed the contract which meant they will not be cut either 

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So, to recap:

-Josh and Von restructured

-Settle takes a slight pay cut. 

-Milano extended. 

That’s it so far, correct?

They said it was a lock and will happen any day now.  I haven't seen either unless in jumping in late.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So, to recap:

-Josh and Von restructured. 

-Settle takes a slight pay cut. 

-Milano extended. 

That’s it so far, correct?

Have not seen either Josh or Von announced, just that it was expected any day now before the start of the league year 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.