Eric Wood/ Last Bills Oline drafted in 1st round/2009

Figster

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 3

The problem I see at 27 is unless a top guy drops like Skoronski, there isn't an IOL guy that is more worthy of the 27th pick vs a guy you can get in round 2-3. Now if we're talking tackle you could talk me into Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones at 27 I suppose but I don't see the Bills going tackle in round 1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

That draft -- as bad as the Maybin pick was with the first pick -- was actually a nice primer for what the front office should be looking to do in THIS draft to bolster the OL. Spend a late 1st rounder on a solid interior lineman -- then combine a 3rd and 4th to move back into the 2nd round to grab another (Levitre in 2009).

They could do the same thing this time around -- and still maintain their own original 2nd round pick to grab a player at another position (WR, S, LB, etc.)

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They still picked the wrong guy because Max Unger, who went round two was better. Drafting a center to play him at guard didn't make a whole lot of sense honestly. Wood was okay over his career. Not worth a first imo. 

And if the Bills were to go O-Line at 27 and land somebody the caliber of Wood I would be totally fine with it.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

And if the Bills were to go O-Line at 27 and land somebody the caliber of Wood I would be totally fine with it.  

I would be okay with it, but slightly disappointed. I just want more impact with a first-round pick. Does that mean boom or bust? Yes.

The solid starter is a meh for me.

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would be okay with it, but slightly disappointed. I just want more impact with a first-round pick. Does that mean boom or bust? Yes.

Considering that our OL is bottom 5 in the league and we only have a couple bona fide starters, there is no other position group other than OL whose upgrade could benefit the team more. I don't want to limp through another season with a bunch of backups manning our OL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I would be fine trading up to grab Skronski, I'm not sure where he will go but I'm sure he won't be there at 27. But I do agree, if we get someone who can play to the level of wood I would consider that a solid pick.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The problem I see at 27 is unless a top guy drops like Skoronski, there isn't an IOL guy that is more worthy of the 27th pick vs a guy you can get in round 2-3. Now if we're talking tackle you could talk me into Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones at 27 I suppose but I don't see the Bills going tackle in round 1

Why?....it's not like Spencer Brown is ever going to improve. 

Not clear why economy of resources continues to be misunderstood.  As in, 27th might not be the best resource to use addressing the interior OL.  You likely end up with a highly rated prospect at a position of lesser value and it means you use a lower value resource on a position of greater value  .  

People seem to forget Cincinnati beat McD's defense (which had some injuries, yes) with 3 backup OL.  Bungles had top-end skilled talent who provided their QB better options.  More rigor in the decision making process is required beyond...let's use the 1st on OL and then presto-blamo we're good there.  Nah, use it on a guy who who'll create a matchup disadvantage.  

• Agree 1

I will be keeping a very close eye on this thread to see if I can figure out which one of you is actually Eric Wood. 

Interesting that @Figster created his account just a year before Wood retired....hmmmm.

@MrEpsYtown Also created a new account on December 29, 2017. 9 days before Eric Woods last game.

Edited by Mango
Super Sluth
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just think of DT's blowing by Saffold and DE's racing around Spencer Brown to smack Josh and you will be fine with it. 

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

I will be keeping a very close eye on this thread to see if I can figure out which one of you is actually Eric Wood. 

Interesting that @Figster created his account just a year before Wood retired....hmmmm.

@MrEpsYtown Also created a new account on December 29, 2017. 9 days before Eric Woods last game.

I suppose if I was Eric Wood it would make sense for me to publicly bemoan his abilities so I can see people come out and defend my play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Mango said:

A fig can be a tree and a tree has wood , so it must be Eric Wood 

• Haha (+1) 2

• Figster changed the title to Eric Wood/ Last Bills Oline drafted in 1st round/2009
1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They still picked the wrong guy because Max Unger, who went round two was better. Drafting a center to play him at guard didn't make a whole lot of sense honestly. Wood was okay over his career. Not worth a first imo. 

Levitre was also good.  If the standard is that any pick where a player picked later turns out better is a bad pick, then all GMs and almost every pick is bad.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really wanted Creed Humphrey a couple years ago and that would be an ideal type of situation but once again I will take a player the caliber of Eric Wood over what we have had on our Offensive Line any day of the week.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I could totally be talked into a tackle that gets moved into guard or a center that we play at guard for a year while we still have Morse

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

it’s not what I think it’s what the Bills think. I’d draft a RT but I doubt the Bills are going to do it in round 1

True, but for the sake of sanity, common sense and Josh Allen this organization better go HARD this offseason on OL.  We need to replace Saffold & Brown immediately as starters. And we'll need a new C and maybe a Bates upgrade next year.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

A fig can be a tree and a tree has wood , so it must be Eric Wood 

- Tell me, what do you do with witches?
- Burn them!
- And what do you burn, apart from witches?
- More witches!
- Wood!
- So why do witches burn?
- 'Cause they're made of wood?

- Good!
- How do we tell if she is made of wood?
- Build a bridge out of her.
- But can you not also make bridges out of stone?
- Oh, yeah.
- Does wood sink in water?
- No, it floats.

- Throw her into the pond!
- What also floats in water?
- Bread.
- Apples. 

- Very small rocks.

- Cider! Great gravy. 

- Cherries. Mud.

- Churches.

- Lead.
- A duck!
- Exactly.
- So, logically--
- If she weighs the same as a duck...
- she's made of wood.
- And therefore?
- A witch!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Figster said:

A great example IMO.

Lots of talk now about revamping the Oline now and round 1 might be the best place to start.

Yes and they acquired this pick by trading away a certain future first ballot HOF Left tackle, who was the best player on the team. 

The Bills never really cared a whole hell of alot about blocking.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes and they acquired this pick by trading away a certain future first ballot HOF Left tackle, who was the best player on the team. 

The Bills never really cared a whole hell of alot about blocking.

Notorious almost.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

thanks man

I think OL needs to be on the high pri list of targets but you need to see how the board falls and consider your other needs also.  I like the idea of drafting a WR early because the WR cost in FA is ridiculous, find a good one in the draft and you have a bargain at a premium position.  But....there needs to be one available that fits the position they are being drafted, don't reach.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Exactly.  It is important for Buffalo to let the draft come to them, and not chase players who are poor values.  There might be a good offensive lineman that will fall to them, but if the draft falls the way I expect, any offensive lineman they pick at #27 is going to be a reach.  Steve Avila in round two might be more realistic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Exactly.  It is important for Buffalo to let the draft come to them, and not chase players who are poor values.  There might be a good offensive lineman that will fall to them, but if the draft falls the way I expect, any offensive lineman they pick at #27 is going to be a reach.  Steve Avila in round two might be more realistic.

I actually like Avila better than Torrence, but still a G in round 1 doesn’t scream premium position.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

True, but if the opportunity arises to trade down, get an additional pick and still get a IOL in the top 7 picks or so of the second, I would prefer that over just grabbing whatever at 27 because the value isn't there for what we need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Here's the thing, this is a bind that we're in because of prior drafting, or NOT prior drafting (OL), etc., and poor draft value in general.  

We may have to take an IOL that would be slated for the early 2nd then, because by the late 2nd they won't be around either, and we end up making the same argument.  Then, using the same logic, we go all the way through days 1 & 2 w/o an OL pick.  

Beane's gotta come up with some IOL-men somewhere, and possibly even a RT.  Where he gets them is his job and responsibility.  The fact that we have such needs going into his 6th Draft, is on him.  I have absolutely no idea why there's a single argument against that.  I mean who else's fault is it.  

The one thing that we do know is that his approach to stocking the OL has been one of dumpster-diving as someone put it, signing a bunch of low-demand 1-2 year signees that has led us to where we are now, and which hasn't cut it.  

What he does is on him and he'll likely sink or swim on this Draft, not me saying that, but many in the national and regional media despite the fact that I agree.  

We drafted Cordy Glenn in 2012 nine picks into the 2nd Round, 41st overall.  That's the only other OL-man besides Cyrus Kouandjio that we've drafted in round 2 since Wood and before McD showed up.  I'll gladly take a Cordy Glenn with the 27th overall.  We should be so lucky.  

And let's be honest here, for the handful of times that Beane's told us how one of his picks "should've gone higher," ...  

2 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

they drafted Andy Levitre in the 2nd the same year

And in 2012 the left side of our line was Glenn OT, Levitre LG, and Wood C.  

Imagine had we started building a line three seasons ago.  

• Like (+1) 1

Round 1

1Houston TexansCarr, DavidQBFresno St. 

2Carolina PanthersPeppers, JuliusDENorth Carolina 

3Detroit LionsHarrington, JoeyQBOregon 

4Buffalo BillsWilliams, MikeTTexas 

5San Diego ChargersJammer, QuentinDBTexas 

6Kansas City ChiefsSims, RyanDTNorth Carolina(F/Dal)

7Minnesota VikingsMcKinnie, BryantTMiami (Fla) 

8Dallas CowboysWilliams, RoyDBOklahoma(F/KC)

9Jacksonville JaguarsHenderson, JohnDTTennessee 

10Cincinnati BengalsJones, LeviTArizona St. 

11Indianapolis ColtsFreeney, DwightDESyracuse 

12Arizona CardinalsBryant, WendellDTWisconsin 

13New Orleans SaintsStallworth, Donte'WRTennessee 

14New York GiantsShockey, JeremyTEMiami (Fla)(F/Ten)

15Tennessee TitansHaynesworth, AlbertDTTennessee(F/NYG)

16Cleveland BrownsGreen, WilliamRBBoston College 

17 Buchanon, PhillipDBMiami (Fla)(F/Atl)

18Atlanta FalconsDuckett, T.J.RBMichigan St.(F/Was/Oak)

19Denver BroncosLelie, AshleyWRHawaii 

20Green Bay PackersWalker, JavonWRFlorida St.(F/Sea)

21New England PatriotsGraham, DanielTEColorado(F/TB/Oak/Was)

22New York JetsThomas, BryanDEUAB 

23 Harris, NapoleonLBNorthwestern 

24Baltimore RavensReed, EdwardDBMiami (Fla)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.