Don't think "WR2" in the upcoming draft. Think WR1.

Roundybout

14 hours ago, Roundybout said:

There is a lot of talk about drafting a WR2 to slot between Diggs at WR1 and Davis at WR3. This would be accomplished by taking a WR in the later rounds while we focus on offensive line in round 1 (which is a good idea too). 

I think we have the right idea, but wrong goal. We don't need a WR2, we need to draft a new bonafide WR1 in the first or second round.

Diggs is pushing 30. It's time to start thinking about a contingency plan for when he retires. A new WR1 would allow Diggs to effectively be "WR1b" and allow him to tutor the new rookie. It would give Josh two stud weapons and open the door for Davis to wreak havoc downfield where he's shined, and for Shakir to work on a slot role. 

Get me Rashee Rice or Quentin Johnson, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Hell, Kayshon Boutte is a star already at LSU. Get him starting right away and watch as it's like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, or Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson. We would make sure that the cupboard is stocked for Josh. 

Don't think small with someone to pair with Diggs. Think of someone who can contribute NOW and succeed Diggs. 

Guessing I'm not at all the first to point out that the first round this year doesn't line up favorably for picking a WR at 27. So that elite prospect would require some dealing. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My hope is 3 OL & 1 WR in the first 4 rounds. What order doesn't really matter as long as we get great value.  And yes very soon we're going to have to target a 1st rounder to transition into Stefon's spot.

I would like to see WR in the 1st, if there is someone worth taking in our slot. Then at least the next 2 picks for OL, preferably a RG & RT. Moving Bates back to LG or finding a FA who can replace him and have Bates our #1 reserve. 

Here's a cool top-10 WR prospect workup that frankly makes it seem like there could be potential difference makers available on late Day 1 or early Day 2 (Wilson out of Stanford is favorably comped with Davante Adams, for example, and given a 2nd round grade, along with an interesting mix of smaller-ish guys with some speed): 

This would suggest some boom-or-bust (overdrafted) prospects available late in Rd 1, with some possible value in early Rd 2. Some team will snag a stud WR in that 25-35 range, and some team will pick a guy who doesn't progress. 

Who the heck will be the Bills WR Coach? That will have an impact on selection and especially on development. 

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is higher floor than the guys I have him ahead of. I am not sure his ceiling is as high but in the right scheme Addison is a pretty safe bet. 

Austin is no more than a gimmick guy IMO.

We’ll see if Austin is just a gimmick guy he was injured this whole season. This kid can run a routes and is excellent after the catch and his speed $ quickness shows on film. 

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Here's a cool top-10 WR prospect workup that frankly makes it seem like there could be potential difference makers available on late Day 1 or early Day 2 (Wilson out of Stanford is favorably comped with Davante Adams, for example, and given a 2nd round grade, along with an interesting mix of smaller-ish guys with some speed): 

This would suggest some boom-or-bust (overdrafted) prospects available late in Rd 1, with some possible value in early Rd 2. Some team will snag a stud WR in that 25-35 range, and some team will pick a guy who doesn't progress. 

Who the heck will be the Bills WR Coach? That will have an impact on selection and especially on development. 

Enough red flags to build a courthouse! Johnston I’d look as at #27 but everyone else in 3rd rd. 

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The worst WR draft since 2016 IMO. I'd take Addison if he made it to the Bills. I don't think he is great, or a conventional #1 but he can do a bit of everything. Not sure I'd be mad on any of the others. If you put last year's class and this year's class together, Addison is WR5, Johnson is WR7, nobody else from this year currently has a grade that would get him into my top 10. 

Would be 1. Olave; 2. Williams; 3. Burks; 4. Wilson; 5. Addison; 6. London; 7. Johnson; 8. Watson; 9. Dotson; 10. Pickens. 

I wonder where Khalil Shakir would be ranked in this draft for me it’s #4 behind Johnston, Addison & Flowers . Shakir and JSN seem like the same type of player . I would think about Johnston at #27 but Addison and Flowers would have to be at our Pk in the 2nd rd. Those guys are too small to be first rd pks. 

7 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I wonder where Khalil Shakir would be ranked in this draft for me it’s #4 behind Johnston, Addison & Flowers . Shakir and JSN seem like the same type of player . I would think about Johnston at #27 but Addison and Flowers would have to be at our Pk in the 2nd rd. Those guys are too small to be first rd pks. 

I had Shakir as a 3rd round grade I think there are probably 5 or 6 guys in this draft worthy of a 1st or 2nd. Shakir wasn't close to the polished route runner JSN is coming out.

23 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

AJ, I get one a month.  Ok I’ve hit my limit for February.

My concern is there a top flight WR in the draft.  I hope so as we can’t afford a FA.

JSN from OSU is certainly a #1 WR. He’s a lot like Diggs. Elite route runner and ball skills. Widely regarded as better than Garret Wilson when both were at OSU. 

But I don’t think he will be available at 27. 

The only RB I’d take at 27 is the guy from Texas. Otherwise I’d go best available WR or IOL. I think Spencer Brown has shown enough to give him another year. 

The biggest frustration about the Bills draft process for me is that Beane and co. fall in love with a player, and trade assets likely when they don't have to, in order to move up. Obviously, with Josh Allen, we needed to move. Other than that, Beane has had very little success when moving in the 1st or 2nd round. Edmunds, Elam (too early?), Cody Ford and Zay Jones (I know, Beane was hired after the draft that we got Jones, McD making that call) have not panned out, or the Bills were not patient (Jones). Edmunds has been OK, but for a 1st round pick, he has not been up to that level. I'm sure someone has graded Beane's draft picks. If not, there's a new discussion topic for you. 

Beane really needs to treat potential picks as "nice to have", rather than "gotta have", no matter what they give up to get him. The Bills are paying the price for giving up draft assets, as well as swinging and missing on top picks. You look at re-drafting articles, and rarely are the Bills picks included as the top re-draft choices.

We have gaping holes at Safety and Linebacker, as well as Offensive Line. It does zero good to draft a WR if Allen doesn't have time to throw the ball to his targets, let alone the inability to run, making this a one-dimensional Offense. No WR in the first few rounds. Maybe a guy like Charlie Jones from Purdue in a later round.

• Disagree 1

On 2/14/2023 at 9:00 AM, Roundybout said:

Ehhh I think he's got way more burst than White was. White was just a big dude with speed; Johnson has way more finesse. Plus, White was a one-year-wonder. 

Johnson doesnt have any kind of finesse.. he's incredibly stiff. Watch a full game of his. 

White was a one year wonder? Johnston has 600 receiving yards last year.  He had 6 TDs in both years. In a spread offense in a conference that plays ZERO defense. He's far from a stud. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

There are so good free agents the Bills should consider to upgrade the Wrs.

Chark

Lazzard

Campbell

Meyers 

I like Chark and Campell for the price. Lazzard and Meyers might be too pricey. I do think Meyers would be very good with Allen throwing hom the ball. 

Chark is the best option on that list because he is the best size/speed player. If the Bills sign him, then I think Tremaine Edmunds needs to go. 

Campbell? If you can get him for the Spotrac $2M - $3M, and release McKenzie. 

The Bills could ditch McKenzie this year for $2.6M in cap savings, he's become useless, because sure every once in awhile he gets a jet sweep call, but that's <10 times a year. 

Sportrac has Lazzard up around $12M a year. 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Chark is the best option on that list because he is the best size/speed player. If the Bills sign him, then I think Tremaine Edmunds needs to go. 

The Bills could ditch McKenzie this year for $2.6M in cap savings, he's become useless, because sure every once in awhile he gets a jet sweep call, but that's <10 times a year. 

I wanted Chark last year. His ceiling is still higher than most FAs and he has the skillset we are missing. 

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I will be furious if they draft any other position but O-Line w/ their top pick unless some generationally talented WR or TE falls to 27. 

There are actually two TE that potentially fall into that category. WR......there could be someone who maybe isn't generational but still high impact. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

The biggest frustration about the Bills draft process for me is that Beane and co. fall in love with a player, and trade assets likely when they don't have to, in order to move up. Obviously, with Josh Allen, we needed to move. Other than that, Beane has had very little success when moving in the 1st or 2nd round. Edmunds, Elam (too early?), Cody Ford and Zay Jones (I know, Beane was hired after the draft that we got Jones, McD making that call) have not panned out, or the Bills were not patient (Jones). Edmunds has been OK, but for a 1st round pick, he has not been up to that level. I'm sure someone has graded Beane's draft picks. If not, there's a new discussion topic for you. 

Beane really needs to treat potential picks as "nice to have", rather than "gotta have", no matter what they give up to get him. The Bills are paying the price for giving up draft assets, as well as swinging and missing on top picks. You look at re-drafting articles, and rarely are the Bills picks included as the top re-draft choices.

We have gaping holes at Safety and Linebacker, as well as Offensive Line. It does zero good to draft a WR if Allen doesn't have time to throw the ball to his targets, let alone the inability to run, making this a one-dimensional Offense. No WR in the first few rounds. Maybe a guy like Charlie Jones from Purdue in a later round.

You speak so confidently about Edmunds not meeting a first round grade as a player, offer no evidence, and people who have deep football knowledge disagree with that take.

Dunning Krueger?

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Lazzard is too expensive.

McKenzie should be gone. Save the little money and find someone else. He's easily replaceable. 

The Bills have to make some key acquisitions in the WR area. Guys that are very serviceable and can step in and contribute. Allen should be able to make them better. 

On 2/14/2023 at 6:35 AM, Big Turk said:

Agree...

If Bijan Robinson is there at 27 I don't know how they pass him up...dude is a complete stud. By far the best player they would be able to select there.

If not, any of JSN, Josh Downs or Zay Flowers would make me a happy camper.

If Bijan lasts to 27, its hard to imagine any draft scenario where he is not the BPA at pick 27.  And with Devin likely gone, RB is also a need.  So I too would have a hard time seeing them pass on Bijan at 27.  

I am all for BPA at 27 if he is BPA, the last thing I want to see us do is reach.  So the people who think it has to be OL no matter what, well as much as I also want to improve our OL, I would hate to see us reach and pass up a better player elsewhere for the sake of reaching for need.  

That being said, I think Bijan will be gone before 27 anyway, so I doubt this scenario happens.  

No WR in round 1 please. I don't care if we trade up or down, but I'm tired of our OL being an afterthought. We need a razor sharp focus on upgrading the OL even if it means letting other FA's walk. We can win with an average back end on D and a great DL, but our OL is as bad as just about any. It's holding us back.

17 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

McKenzie should be gone. Save the little money and find someone else. He's easily replaceable. 

The Bills have to make some key acquisitions in the WR area. Guys that are very serviceable and can step in and contribute. Allen should be able to make them better. 

To me, the bottom end of the WR group are all expendable. 

That's McKenzie ($2.6M in savings), Kumerow (UFA), Crowder (UFA), Beasley (UFA) and Brown (UFA). 

I'm listening to Cover 1 right now and they're harping on the idea of re-signing Beasley. He looked like he had some juice left in 2022, but the idea of him manning the slot again in 2023/2024 is something I'm not interested in. He is too old to be counted on in the Playoffs. We've seen this over and over again. And McDermott standing in the way of a talented rookie playing because of his obsession with veterans. 

I would hope that McDermott doesn't have enough sway to get Kumerow back on the roster again. 

If the Bills intend to keep 6, they would have to add three in the offseason. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

To me, the bottom end of the WR group are all expendable. 

That's McKenzie ($2.6M in savings), Kumerow (UFA), Crowder (UFA), Beasley (UFA) and Brown (UFA). 

I'm listening to Cover 1 right now and they're harping on the idea of resigning Beasley. He looked like he had some juice left in 2022, but the idea of him manning the slot again in 2023/2024 is something I'm not interested in. He is too old to be counted on in the Playoffs. We've seen this over and over again. And McDermott standing in the way of a talented rookie playing because of his obsession with veterans. 

I would hope that McDermott doesn't have enough sway to get Kumerow back on the roster again. 

If the Bills intend to keep 6, they would have to add three in the offseason. 

Im fine bringing back Beasley on a cheap deal, but not as the starting slot.  

We have a WR1 and a WR3.  

We need a WR2.  

Beasley and Shakir can be WR4 and WR5 if we get that legit WR2.  

Say we do sign OBJ.. I’m fine with Beasley as the part time slot, with Diggs/Davis/OBJ/Shakir all able to play inside/outside. 

Cole has a role here if he wants to sign for cheap, but he’s not an answer. 

17 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

McKenzie has a relatively small cap hit.  If you cut him,you're going to have to replace him, so why bother?

12 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

McKenzie has a relatively small cap hit.  If you cut him,you're going to have to replace him, so why bother?

There are some players I just don’t want on this team any longer, even if it’s just a slight cap savings. 

I love Poyer as a person/player for us, but I don’t want that much money tied up at safety.  

Edmunds is really good.  And his discourse is going to drive me crazy until we inevitably re-sign him, but how can we justify that much at LB/Slot (Milano, Johnson AND Edmunds)… ok, cool.  Sorry Josh, hope you don’t die.. we gotta have a defense that can annihilate mid-QB’s and then let us down in the playoffs. 

Oliver.  I believe I’ve said enough on him and his cap hit. I’ll take a ham sandwich in return. 

Singletary. Don’t want him back.  Not even on a friendly deal.  Nothing about him ever excited me, and it’s time to move on and let him be good at everything, but not great at anything somewhere else. 

McKenzie.  I’ll take the small cap savings.  Shakir can, and should, do everything we had McKenzie doing.  Give his money to Beasley, and then draft/sign a WR2.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

He’s just shown me that the Bills had it right from the beginning and I was wrong.

He’s a sprinkle player and that’s it. 

I think instead of holding on the Bills could sign Zaccheaus and Slayton, and draft a WR so their bottom 3 could be changed over.

The days of Brown and Beasley are over, McKenzie and Kumerow are done.  

On 2/14/2023 at 8:23 AM, Roundybout said:

There is a lot of talk about drafting a WR2 to slot between Diggs at WR1 and Davis at WR3. This would be accomplished by taking a WR in the later rounds while we focus on offensive line in round 1 (which is a good idea too). 

I think we have the right idea, but wrong goal. We don't need a WR2, we need to draft a new bonafide WR1 in the first or second round.

Diggs is pushing 30. It's time to start thinking about a contingency plan for when he retires. A new WR1 would allow Diggs to effectively be "WR1b" and allow him to tutor the new rookie. It would give Josh two stud weapons and open the door for Davis to wreak havoc downfield where he's shined, and for Shakir to work on a slot role. 

Get me Rashee Rice or Quentin Johnson, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Hell, Kayshon Boutte is a star already at LSU. Get him starting right away and watch as it's like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, or Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson. We would make sure that the cupboard is stocked for Josh. 

Don't think small with someone to pair with Diggs. Think of someone who can contribute NOW and succeed Diggs. 

I don't look at receivers in terms of numbers... WR1, WR2, WR3.

I think it's better to look at them in terms of skill-set.  

Ken Dorsey and the Bills need to determine what kind of offense they are going to run, then aggressively find the players that fit into that puzzle.

Based on what I saw this season, our OC and QB want to attack downfield with big chunk plays.  Which is fine.  But if that is going to be our gameplan, we need more downfield speed. 

Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis can make plays downfield, but their real strength is working the 10-20 yard area.  Same thing with Dawson Knox.  We have lots of roster spots for slot receivers (McKenzie, Beasley, Crowder, Shakir).  Our top returning RBs both specialize in check-down passes (Cook, Hines).  But our biggest speed threat is John Brown.  That's just not workable.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.