Don't think "WR2" in the upcoming draft. Think WR1.

Roundybout

There is a lot of talk about drafting a WR2 to slot between Diggs at WR1 and Davis at WR3. This would be accomplished by taking a WR in the later rounds while we focus on offensive line in round 1 (which is a good idea too). 

I think we have the right idea, but wrong goal. We don't need a WR2, we need to draft a new bonafide WR1 in the first or second round.

Diggs is pushing 30. It's time to start thinking about a contingency plan for when he retires. A new WR1 would allow Diggs to effectively be "WR1b" and allow him to tutor the new rookie. It would give Josh two stud weapons and open the door for Davis to wreak havoc downfield where he's shined, and for Shakir to work on a slot role. 

Get me Rashee Rice or Quentin Johnson, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Hell, Kayshon Boutte is a star already at LSU. Get him starting right away and watch as it's like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, or Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson. We would make sure that the cupboard is stocked for Josh. 

Don't think small with someone to pair with Diggs. Think of someone who can contribute NOW and succeed Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

We need weapons. No more dusting off John Brown and Cole Beasley. 

Agree...

If Bijan Robinson is there at 27 I don't know how they pass him up...dude is a complete stud. By far the best player they would be able to select there.

If not, any of JSN, Josh Downs or Zay Flowers would make me a happy camper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I think the OL needs to be addressed in those rounds first and foremost

Maybe, but our late round WR picks have been iffy (even though I'm high on Shakir and Davis is still a solid WR3). Get a blue chip talent. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My hope is 3 OL & 1 WR in the first 4 rounds. What order doesn't really matter as long as we get great value.  And yes very soon we're going to have to target a 1st rounder to transition into Stefon's spot.

Agreed. We need a guard foremost but I think a sneaking need is center. 

12 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I think the OL needs to be addressed in those rounds first and foremost

I agree that OL needs to be addressed, but FA is first and we will need to find help there. WR help doesn’t have to come in round 1. Adding a quality WR who can uncover quickly will help the OL by giving Allen opportunities to get the ball out quickly. 

27 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

There is a lot of talk about drafting a WR2 to slot between Diggs at WR1 and Davis at WR3. This would be accomplished by taking a WR in the later rounds while we focus on offensive line in round 1 (which is a good idea too). 

I think we have the right idea, but wrong goal. We don't need a WR2, we need to draft a new bonafide WR1 in the first or second round.

Diggs is pushing 30. It's time to start thinking about a contingency plan for when he retires. A new WR1 would allow Diggs to effectively be "WR1b" and allow him to tutor the new rookie. It would give Josh two stud weapons and open the door for Davis to wreak havoc downfield where he's shined, and for Shakir to work on a slot role. 

Get me Rashee Rice or Quentin Johnson, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Hell, Kayshon Boutte is a star already at LSU. Get him starting right away and watch as it's like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, or Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson. We would make sure that the cupboard is stocked for Josh. 

Don't think small with someone to pair with Diggs. Think of someone who can contribute NOW and succeed Diggs. 

It’s semantics.  Suggs doesn’t turn 30 in til November 13th so basically 2023 is still a 29 yr old.  

I’ll agree with you we need the best receiver we can get in the draft and if he’s worth it even trading up.

2-4th rds should be 2 Guards and a Safety.  You can get very good Guards in the 2nd and 3rd rds.  I would also place a bid on Gesecki for the 1B TE.  We’ll have our 2 pass catching RB’s in Hines and Cook, 2 pass catching TE’s in Knox and Gesecki, drafting a top flight WR, 2 Guards and a Safety.

This is a dynamic offense with a solid line as Dawkins, Morse are solid, Bates and Boettger are fine for depth along with Bates, and I still believe in Brown.  He was injured all off season and linemen take 2-3 years to develop.  His back issues sidelined him all off season.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Quinten Johnson is going to be over drafted. He's incredibly stiff, does nothing great and doesn't have good ball skills. If you want a WR#1, you stay as far away from him as possible. 

He is Kevin White 2.0 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Quinten Johnson is going to be over drafted. He's incredibly stiff, does nothing great and doesn't have good ball skills. If you want a WR#1, you stay as far away from him as possible. 

He is Kevin White 2.0 

Ehhh I think he's got way more burst than White was. White was just a big dude with speed; Johnson has way more finesse. Plus, White was a one-year-wonder. 

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s semantics.  Suggs doesn’t turn 30 in til November 13th so basically 2023 is still a 29 yr old.  

I’ll agree with you we need the best receiver we can get in the draft and if he’s worth it even trading up.

2-4th rds should be 2 Guards and a Safety.  You can get very good Guards in the 2nd and 3rd rds.  I would also place a bid on Gesecki for the 1B TE.  We’ll have our 2 pass catching RB’s in Hines and Cook, 2 pass catching TE’s in Knox and Gesecki, drafting a top flight WR, 2 Guards and a Safety.

This is a dynamic offense with a solid line as Dawkins, Morse are solid, Bates and Boettger are fine for depth along with Bates, and I still believe in Brown.  He was injured all off season and linemen take 2-3 years to develop.  His back issues sidelined him all off season.

I agree with most of what you put here, but it's becoming increasingly questionable if Dawkins is worth what we pay him IMO. He got absolutely eviscerated against the Bengals and I feel that he's played pretty poorly over the last few games. 

I would KILL to have Mike Gesicki on this team. He's criminally misused in Miami. 

Edited by Roundybout
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Ehhh I think he's got way more burst than White was. White was just a big dude with speed; Johnson has way more finesse. Plus, White was a one-year-wonder. 

I agree with most of what you put here, but it's becoming increasingly questionable if Dawkins is worth what we pay him IMO. He got absolutely eviscerated against the Bengals and I feel that he's played pretty poorly over the last few games. 

I would KILL to have Mike Gesicki on this team. He's criminally misused in Miami. 

It’s rare I have time after 5 am to chat on a weekday, but I’m sitting waiting for a doc so I couldn’t agree more Gesecki is the TE  erosion of Hyde and Poyer where they weren’t used properly by their former teams.  They shined here.

If they convert Diggs and Allen good portion of their salary to signing bonus we should not only be under the cap, but should be able to afford a TE.  They don’t get paid nearly what a top WR would get paid.  These two are just big and fast WR’s.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Don't think Johnson is going to be there for us when we pick.  I think Rice or Boutte may be.  I think both may still be available in the second round.  Unless someone like Bijan Robinson or one of the top prospect OL are still there at our first round selection, it might be an option for us to trade out of the first round and try to get into the early second.  We could get our WR and pickup another pick in the process.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.