Don't think "WR2" in the upcoming draft. Think WR1.

Roundybout

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I don't look at receivers in terms of numbers... WR1, WR2, WR3.

I think it's better to look at them in terms of skill-set.  

Ken Dorsey and the Bills need to determine what kind of offense they are going to run, then aggressively find the players that fit into that puzzle.

Based on what I saw this season, our OC and QB want to attack downfield with big chunk plays.  Which is fine.  But if that is going to be our gameplan, we need more downfield speed. 

Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis can make plays downfield, but their real strength is working the 10-20 yard area.  Same thing with Dawson Knox.  We have lots of roster spots for slot receivers (McKenzie, Beasley, Crowder, Shakir).  Our top returning RBs both specialize in check-down passes (Cook, Hines).  But our biggest speed threat is John Brown.  That's just not workable.

Yes, this is my thought. 

Coming out of the Dolphins game, our local media chided the Bills for not taking the underneath stuff, and pushing the ball down the field, leading to interceptions and mistakes. 

But I'm with you, I think it's fine if the Bills eschew a less efficient offense and tailor a big play offense, BUT, hopefully the Bills have realized that Diggs alone is not enough. He's a balanced WR that has a good blend of everything - route running, hands, downfield speed, contested catch. 

But for this kind of offense the Bills need more speed. Gabe Davis is too slow to be consistent, and he is stiff, can't snap and break off routes. 

This is where, a Zay Flowers, or Jalin Hyatt would be the pick over Jaxson Smith-Ngijba or Josh Downs. 

I also agree that the Bills worked themselves into this place with the roster, where they had no size, and a bunch of slot guys with no playmaking ability, and no ownership of the position. 

Which all leads us to the same place. Better weapons, and a better line so that Allen can get those throws off. And I would say, utilize the middle of the field more, because it felt strained trying to get everything outside of the numbers. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

McKenzie has a relatively small cap hit.  If you cut him,you're going to have to replace him, so why bother?

Because he's taking up a roster spot. You have to upgrade the position. He brings little to the table. Dorsey didnt utilize his skill set. 

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I think they should just replace every player with someone better.  And we can start 3 rookies on the OL.  Is this the summary of this thread?  

Could be if the rookies are better players. 

Were you happy with the oline performance? 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yes, this is my thought. 

Coming out of the Dolphins game, our local media chided the Bills for not taking the underneath stuff, and pushing the ball down the field, leading to interceptions and mistakes. 

But I'm with you, I think it's fine if the Bills eschew a less efficient offense and tailor a big play offense, BUT, hopefully the Bills have realized that Diggs alone is not enough. He's a balanced WR that has a good blend of everything - route running, hands, downfield speed, contested catch. 

But for this kind of offense the Bills need more speed. Gabe Davis is too slow to be consistent, and he is stiff, can't snap and break off routes. 

This is where, a Zay Flowers, or Jalin Hyatt would be the pick over Jaxson Smith-Ngijba or Josh Downs. 

I also agree that the Bills worked themselves into this place with the roster, where they had no size, and a bunch of slot guys with no playmaking ability, and no ownership of the position. 

Which all leads us to the same place. Better weapons, and a better line so that Allen can get those throws off. And I would say, utilize the middle of the field more, because it felt strained trying to get everything outside of the numbers. 

Yes this!   Throw in Rashee Rice as an option as well.

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Because he's taking up a roster spot. You have to upgrade the position. He brings little to the table. Dorsey didnt utilize his skill set. 

I think we're seeing McKenzie doesn't have a repeatable skill. 

Occasionally his speed allows some broken plays to work, but I'd phrase it as most of the time he gets lost in this offense. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

OL was the main problem.  I fully agree. I also don’t buy you can just replace half the line w rookies.  They should absolutely draft some OL. But they haven’t done a good job so far. So if angle towards solid mid range vets. I’m more commenting on the idea you can improve every position. 

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

OL was the main problem.  I fully agree. I also don’t buy you can just replace half the line w rookies.  They should absolutely draft some OL. But they haven’t done a good job so far. So if angle towards solid mid range vets. I’m more commenting on the idea you can improve every position. 

Right, and the only offensive lineman on the Bills that they drafted who isn't starting is Tommy Doyle, and where does he fit outside of swing tackle?

With Van Roten, Boettger, Saffold all free agents, there is no young depth on this team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Occasionally his speed allows some broken plays to work, but I'd phrase it as most of the time he gets lost in this offense. 

I thought Daboll used him wisely. He got the ball sparingly and did mostly well with his limited touches. 

He proved last year he's not an everyday player. 

It's time to move on for McKenzie. 

48 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If we get a bigger WR with speed (see Jalin Hyatt/Jordan Addison/Trey Palmer/) McKenzie could be gone as early as 2023. 

Edited by The Jokeman

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yes, this is my thought. 

I agree this offense needs an identity and our wrs need more athletic diversity.  But I'm not thrilled with an offense that relies way to much on low percentage deep throws.  If the wide open checkdown doesn't get more emphasized, this team will become predictable and one dimensional. 

38 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If we get a bigger WR with speed (see Jalin Hyatt/Jordan Addison/Trey Palmer/) McKenzie could be gone as early as 2023. 

McKenzie will not survive this offseason nor should he.

If Diggs was a 5th rounder we can find another one right? 😂 .... But Seriously Diggs has probably 2 years left at the top of his game. Plus he could grow tired of missing out if we don't make it all the way next year.

Hopkins pre June 1 would only cost 11 million per year I'd give up a 3rd and something to get him for 2 years. That would be a dangerous combo if healthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.